PDA

View Full Version : Chat with John Hollinger - ESPN.com

Cry Havoc
05-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Hollinger archives: Columns | Chats

John Hollinger: (2:06 PM ET ) Good day everyone, lots to talk about with the playoffs getting testier by the minute ... let's get it started.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smithsonian (DC): How 'bout them Jazz?! If they make it to the Western Conference Finals, do you see them trying to move AK-47 or Okur for a 2-guard, or will they stick with the same roster?

John Hollinger: (2:07 PM ET ) If they make the WCF I think the're much less likely to try to do any major surgery in the offseason. Biggest need remains a 3-point threat, Giricek has never quite answered the bell there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake (Oregon): Now that the Jazz are in control against Golden State, I've been thinking in hypotheticals. How would a Jazz-Mavs series have gone?

John Hollinger: (2:08 PM ET ) I was thinking about the same thing today. Jazz probably would have put AK on Dirk, but Boozer would be having a much more difficult time against Diop and Dampier. Probably a lot slower paced and more physical, but the way Utah and Dallas were going by the end of round 1, would it be that big a shock if the Jazz were up 3-1 on Dallas too?

Boston: what do you think the league going to do about Bruce Bowen's dirty play on nash?

John Hollinger: (2:09 PM ET ) Maybe a fine. Certainly not a suspenion. If anyone but Bowen had made that play we woudn't even be talking about it, except in a "ha ha wasn't that funny he got hit in the groin" TV-Bloopers kind of way.

Jaymin (La, Ca): Do you think that the Spurs-Suns Series being the 'NBA Finals' that with all the physical play and mental thoughness needed to close out an elite team in that series, it would give Utah a great chance against the winner if they are able to close out Golden State and get rest?

John Hollinger: (2:11 PM ET ) Certainly it will help Utah if they can close in five and the Spurs/Suns goes six or seven, especially if it goes six and there's the quick 36-hour turnaround before Game 1 on Sunday. The other thing that helps Utah is that teams are getting away with more physical play than they did in the regular season. That said, they'll be a huge underdog.

Derick (Salt Lake City): Just wondering if you still think Golden State will win in 7?

John Hollinger: (2:12 PM ET ) Ha ha, was expecting some ribbing from the Jazz fans today. Obviously Utah has the upper hand in a big way right now. But I wouldn't classify this one as "over" quite yet -- not with the way the Jazz had to sweat out Games 1 and 2.

Krish (Memphis): Most shooters lose their stroke after 30. Should the Grizzlies trade Mike Miller while his value is high?

John Hollinger: (2:12 PM ET ) Actually, your statement is totally false. Shooters tend to age much better than other players, which is a great reason to keep Miller around.

Amar (Motown): Boom-Dizzle and J-Rich? Fines? Suspensions? Sore loosers? What's your take?

John Hollinger: (2:13 PM ET ) I'm very interested because I don't think either is open and shut. If I had to guess, I think Richardson will be saved by the fact they called it a flagrant-2 and ejected him, and they won't do anythin further. I think Baron is the one who really needs to sweat it -- but without a conclusive camera angle he might get away with a reclassified flagrant foul and a fine.

John Hollinger: (2:14 PM ET ) BTW, if the league decide to reclassify it as a technical foul for some reason, Baron would be just one away from a suspension.

Steve (Portland): Utah has seemed to really figure things out and grow up quickly. After the horrible ending of their regular season, how have they done it?

John Hollinger: (2:15 PM ET ) I'm as amazed as you are, because they looked like serious four-and-out material in early April. The return to life of AK has probably been the biggest reason, and the increased physicality they're allowing in this postseason has definitely played to Utah's strengths.

Daliz (Tucson): You really think, with Bowens reputation and the fact that a spotlight was on him after Game 2, that a suspension isn't warranted? We're not talking about a first time offender here.

John Hollinger: (2:17 PM ET ) I really don't. To say that he made this premiditated precision kick to the groin, when usually he can't even get out of his own way with the ball in his hands, is I think a rather big stretch.

Derek (NC): What did you think of the officiating in Game 3 of the Suns-Spurs series?

John Hollinger: (2:17 PM ET ) I don't think it was factor in who won or lost, but as I mentioned about Utah above, it appears to me that they're lotting a lot more contact go, and that tends to favor San Antonio.

John Hollinger: (2:18 PM ET ) BTW, Tim Duncan was totally right when he said the Denver series was more physical. Nene and Najera were putting a beating on him.

Disco Dirk (Golf Course): Do I really deserve the MVP award?

John Hollinger: (2:19 PM ET ) Yes. You just hit a wall in early March and never realy recovered.

TB in TX: Isn't this storyline about Bowen and too much physicality a sign of his and the Spurs effectiveness and advantage over the Suns in this series? Both physical and mental?

John Hollinger: (2:20 PM ET ) What's so weird is that Amare starting complaining after a game the Suns won, and won fairly easily. It was almost like he gave the mental edge back to San Anto. I thought Game 2 was as hard as I've ever seen the Suns play, but I didn't see that same edge on Saturday.

Shawn (San Diego, CA): How did the officiating not decide that game 3? Amare didn't get to play. Yet Duncan was never in foul trouble despite constant moving screens.

John Hollinger: (2:22 PM ET ) Amare picked up fouls because, well, he fouled guys. Trying to think of even one that wasn't clean. And it's not like Phoenix didn't get away with a few themselves -- like the face-slap on Manu, for instance. Sorry, but you can't blame the refs. Blame the shooting and the Tim Duncan Bank Shot Machine.

Bob: So you thought Bowen committed one defensive foul in 39 minutes of action on Saturday?

John Hollinger: (2:23 PM ET ) No, I thought he commited two -- the one he was called for, and the one the refs missed when he raked Nash's arm from behind for a turnover.

Jeremy (Utah): What do you think about Davis's response to his elbow on Fish? "Yeah, just a combination of frustration and ...," said Davis, not finishing the thought. "It's just tough." Asked to clarify just a little, Davis said, "It wasn't nothin', man. Just leave it alone."

John Hollinger: (2:24 PM ET ) I like the realization halfway though that he might be incriminating himself. Like I said, he's in a tough spot for tomorrow, I think he's much more precarious than Richardson. While we're talking about discipline, Al Harrington also might get a fine for that head-slap on Boozer.

Adam (Provo, UT): Can you please, please, please keep picking against the Jazz? We really appreciate it!

John Hollinger: (2:25 PM ET ) No problem. I'll go Warriors in seven, Spurs in four, Pistons in four the rest of the way. You can send me the check later.

Steve (Ottawa): John! Did you not see the blatant foul Duncan committed on Amare as he was going up strong? The broadcast gave us a nice replay showing the ref directly in line to make the call - but didn't.

John Hollinger: (2:27 PM ET ) So let me get this straight .. now the refs are showing favoritism to Tim Duncan, of all people? Because they want to stick to Joey Crawford? Because the league is so excited to get such an exciting, ratings-friendly team into the Finals? Please.

Andy (NYC): I know this is a lot of if's but I dont feel like doing the research to find out myself and I want to know if you know. But if Baron can play tonight and it's classified as a technical, and he gets a technical during the game, and they lose. Does the suspension just carry over to next year?

John Hollinger: (2:28 PM ET ) Yes, I believe that is correct. He'd miss Game 1 next season. Of course, since there's a 75% he'd miss that game anyway with a hammy, I guess it wouldn't hurt much.

Mike (NJ): Is this a western conference only chat?

John Hollinger: (2:29 PM ET ) Sorry, just a lot more heat coming from the Suns and Spurs fans today, and Utah fans are in rather jolly spirits as well. But a pretty good series going on under the radar between Nets and Cavs.

RL (NY): What adjustments do you see Don Nelson making before their next game?

John Hollinger: (2:31 PM ET ) For some reason, they had trouble taking advantage of Harpring's matchup on D last night, something they had great success with in Games 2 and 3. But biggest thing is Nelly has to find a new defensive wrinkle ... maybe he picks up full court or traps half court, somthing to raise the energy and get more deflections that lead out to easy buckets.

andy (athens ohio): the nets got thier one win the cavs have got the rest of them

John Hollinger: (2:33 PM ET ) I wouldn't be so sure my caps-hating friend. Jersey controlled the glass Saturday, which is all they need to do since Cleveland hasn't shot well in one game this whole series. Do it again tonight and we're back to a best-of-3 over in the consolation bracket.

Jimmy (New York): Suns 4th or 5th (from Hawks) and Shawn Marion to Pacers for Jermaine O'Neal. Do u think it can happen.

John Hollinger: (2:34 PM ET ) Jermaine O'Neal would be a horrible fit in Phoenix, he'd grind them to a halt. So no, I'm not seeing that one. Besides, the deal doesn't really address their tax issues, and I'm presuming that would be the major motivation behind a Marion trade.

Javier (Orlando): John, when is the Orlando Magic coaching situation going to be resolved? Have you heard of any potential candidates to replace Hill? Thanks.

John Hollinger: (2:35 PM ET ) I think the ax will drop real soon -- no way he comes back after being so openly undermined. One name I'm starting to hear is Rick Adelman, and it makes some sense -- he's had his best success with teams like this that have talent and a short bench but can't quite get over the hump.

Luke (Franklin, Pa): Consolation bracket? Detroit can't beat Phoenix or San Antonio? I wouldn't take you to Vegas.

John Hollinger: (2:37 PM ET ) No, I meant New Jersey and Cleveland can't beat Detroit. I can't rag on the East's Finals chances when they're one quarter away from having a three-year streak.

Steve (La) : Ron Artest and the Kings 10 pick for Corey Maggette and the Clippers 14th pick?

John Hollinger: (2:38 PM ET ) Maybe a year ago, not anymore. Artest's trade value is disintegrating because this season showed him at his worst. It's one thing if he gets into trouble off the court; it's another entirely if he doesn't even help that much when he's on it.

Carl (San Jose, CA): For being a two time MVP, Steve Nash sure isn't getting any calls. Can you see another player on the team taking a shot on Bowen to stick up for him?

John Hollinger: (2:39 PM ET ) With the exception of Mardy Collins vs. J.R. Smith, I haven't seen a goon situation in the NBA in a long, long time, so I would say no on that one. Although if Pat Burke wants his 15 minutes of fame ....

rob (philly): I thought we were going to get through a whole chat without a Piston fan complaining about a lack of respect. You'd think these people actually play they get so offended.

John Hollinger: (2:42 PM ET ) Wow, you're right ... the respect card always seems to pop up no matter the topic. They've adopted the players' chip on the shoulder and taken it to a whole new level. By the way, in anticapation of spending a lovely seven days in Troy, Michigan this June, we look forward to any suggestions from suburban Michiganders on things you can do out there that don't involve a strip mall or chain restaurant.

Ben (McLean, VA): Why do they make a big deal about contact when Barbosa submarined Parker in mid-air and all that was called was a foul?

John Hollinger: (2:43 PM ET ) Look, this is what people do in the playoffs -- there's no back to backs, so people have a full two days between every game to dissect every call and for the losing team to discuss the massive conpsiracy being perpetrated against it.

peter (be): do you see Sloan putting araujo in so he can crush richardsons and davis' skulls together?

John Hollinger: (2:44 PM ET ) If Araujo comes in, head for the hills. His only NBA skill is the ability to take a hard foul, and it's something he does with incredible enthusiasm. But no, I think Utah is much more interested in closing the series without a fight breaking out.

David (CHI): John, why can't you admit that officiating is inconsistent?

John Hollinger: (2:45 PM ET ) Look, officials miss calls and different crews will call some plays differently. And, as I've said numerous times, they appear to be officiating the playoffs more leniently than the regular season. But to say that Phoenix lost Game 3 because of the refs .. no, that isn't right.

Forgie, Utah: How good are the Jazz in 2-3 years (assuming they keep their core of Booz, D-Will, Memo and AK-47, possibly Millap)?

John Hollinger: (2:47 PM ET ) I think they could be quite good, but they need one more player on the perimeter to finish off the team. Still, if you put Williams, Booz, Okur and AK out there .. that's potentially four All-Stars. And Millsap and Brewer both are going to be quite good too, and wil come cheap for three more years. If there aren't any more season-long hamstring injuuries to a certain power forward, there's a lot to like for Utah these next couple seasons.

John Hollinger: (2:49 PM ET ) Quick update: Bowen will not be suspended but did recieve a Flagrant 1. For Golden State, Richardson will not recieve any further punishment. Davis's foul on Fisher is being reviewed (uh-oh).

Jeremy (Denver CO): John - I keep hearing that that Jazz play really dirty, but I perceive them as playing a very hard-nosed defense. When is the rest of the NBA followers going to come to the same realization?

John Hollinger: (2:51 PM ET ) It's not that they play dirty, it's that there's a LOT of contact, so the officiating plays a much bigger role in their games than it does with other teams. As far hard-nosed defense ... actually, Utah is much more of an offensive team. If I remember right they were 3rd in Offensive Efficiency, 19th in Defensive Efficiency this year.

Matias (K, Utah): Do you think that AK 47 will have a serious chat over the summer with the Jazz management about his playing time. I hate to see such a great talent not get a chance to grow into his true potential because of limited amount of PT. What do you think?

John Hollinger: (2:52 PM ET ) The question isn't his PT, but his role -- can he thrive as a small forward when he's so much better playing as undersized 4? That's why I wonder if a trade wouldn't be best for him, especialy if it brought back a shooter that could open more space for Boozer in the lane.

Aaron (aurora): I blame Skiles for the game 3 meltdown. Your take? no subs at all???

John Hollinger: (2:53 PM ET ) That was a little weird, wasn't it? I've seen coaches do that before in desperation games, but not when they'd opened up such a big lead.

Kent (Brooklyn): Kirilenko to Bulls for the Knicks' first-round pick and Duhon. Could it happen?

John Hollinger: (2:55 PM ET ) No. Any deal with AK is complicated by his salary, which I believe is in the $13 million range next year. So you'd have to send a couple big contracts back to Utah. What would work would be a sign-and-trade of Nocioni, plus a couple smaller dead-weight contracts (hello, Viktor Khryapa).

Mike (Orem, UT): One foul that I haven't heard brought up a lot is Okur being tackled in the first quarter, as well as an offensive foul on Okur when the defender was standing right underneath the basket. How do you defend that officiating?

John Hollinger: (2:56 PM ET ) Don't remember the tackle, but the offensive foul was the correct call. When a player catches on the low block like Okur did on that play, you can be inside the charge circle and still take a charge.

Josh (Chicago): Assuming the Bulls go down in 5, will or should Paxson pursue a big man who can score for next year?

John Hollinger: (2:57 PM ET ) You mean like Pau Gasol? Um, yes, he absolutely should. One option he still has is to sign-and-trade P.J. Brown and throw him into the deal .. otherwise it may be tough to come up with the contracts to offset a player lke Gasol/Jermaine/Garnett etc.

Ben (Silver Spring, MD): Nazr Mohammed for Brendan Haywood. Salaries match, both have worn out their welcome on their current teams...

John Hollinger: (2:59 PM ET ) I like that deal. Wash would probably ask for an extra considration since Nazr's deal runs a year or two longer (doing this from memory, folks), but nothing major -- maybe a conditional No. 1 in 2011 or something. Haywood definitely can thrive in a different setting, and I think Nazr got a raw deal when they pushed him out so quickly this year.

Eric (Payson, UT): What's your take on Nellie's double-talk in the post-game comments? First it was 'Some of our guys weren't at 100%, but that's not an excuse.' Two minutes later, his tone had changed to 'If our guys had been 100%...'

John Hollinger: (3:00 PM ET ) Nothing new there. Nellie always wants to be the underdog, and will almost always talk about what a daunting task his team faced after a loss. Doesn't change the fact that he's a Hall of Fame coach, but it gets a little old.

Brian (Redondo Beach,CA): What is the difference between Stack's foul on Shaq in last year's finals (meriting a suspension) and JRich's foul last night?

John Hollinger: (3:01 PM ET ) Huge difference. JRich only caught the arm as near as I can tell, it was so violent because they were going in opposite directions. Stackhouse got a lot more bang for his buck on that foul in the Finals.

Scott (Manville, NJ): What is with the NBA saying Nellie can't drink his beers anymore. And they call the NFL the No Fun League

John Hollinger: (3:02 PM ET ) They didn't want to be sending our youth the wrong message -- that Bud Light was an acceptable beer choice.

Benny(New York): Are the Jazz gonna have to make a decision between Millsap and Boozer in the next few years, or do you think they can keep them both?

John Hollinger: (3:03 PM ET ) It's a couple years away, plenty of water can go under the bridge between now and then. But yes, that will be an interesting dilemma if both players continue their present course.

Virginia Beach, VA: Do you think the Jazz or Warriors have any chance with the winner of Spurs or Suns?

John Hollinger: (3:05 PM ET ) They're going to be major underdogs. I could see GST giving Phoenix an epic seven-game series, and I think Utah's physicality could bother San Antonio, but really, the Spurs have been playing so much better than anyone else that it's hard for me to see them playing a series that goes longer than six games.

Scoop Jackson, ESPN: Your time is up

John Hollinger: (3:06 PM ET ) Indeed it is. Thanks for all the great questions everyone, and we'll chat again next week. I'm off to Salt Lake City for Game 5 ... not sure yet if Baron Davis will be joining me.

Spurminator
05-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Scott (Manville, NJ): What is with the NBA saying Nellie can't drink his beers anymore. And they call the NFL the No Fun League

John Hollinger: (3:02 PM ET ) They didn't want to be sending our youth the wrong message -- that Bud Light was an acceptable beer choice.

:lol

Indeed.

MadDog73
05-14-2007, 02:45 PM
God, another Spurs Homer.

It's like the universe is against the Suns or something....

Obstructed_View
05-14-2007, 02:49 PM
It's funny that they ask their questions expecting to have him agree with them, and then he doesn't.

SpursWoman
05-14-2007, 03:02 PM
John Hollinger: (2:43 PM ET ) Look, this is what people do in the playoffs -- there's no back to backs, so people have a full two days between every game to dissect every call and for the losing team to discuss the massive conpsiracy being perpetrated against it.

He's on a roll today. :lol :lol

judaspriestess
05-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Steve (Ottawa): John! Did you not see the blatant foul Duncan committed on Amare as he was going up strong? The broadcast gave us a nice replay showing the ref directly in line to make the call - but didn't.

John Hollinger: (2:27 PM ET ) So let me get this straight .. now the refs are showing favoritism to Tim Duncan, of all people? Because they want to stick to Joey Crawford? Because the league is so excited to get such an exciting, ratings-friendly team into the Finals? Please. "

^^this is so true, why are suns fans so desperate and just constantly reaching for "the refs have it in for us mantra"? Do they just watch the games over and over in slow motion to find something. They are pathetic.

Melmart1
05-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Disco Dirk (Golf Course): Do I really deserve the MVP award?

John Hollinger: (2:19 PM ET ) Yes. You just hit a wall in early March and never realy recovered.

timvp
05-14-2007, 03:40 PM
I take anything Hollinger says regarding the Spurs with a grain of salt considering he's on the Spurs payroll.

Obstructed_View
05-14-2007, 03:41 PM
That's the only logical explanation for the fact that he seems to know anything about the Spurs. He's the only one in the media that speaks as though he's actually watched a couple of games.

Extra Stout
05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
My god, the people in Arizona are making themselves out to be the absolute biggest pussies on the entire planet. They are totally letting Mav fan off the hook.

SpursWoman
05-14-2007, 04:27 PM
My god, the people in Arizona are making themselves out to be the absolute biggest pussies on the entire planet. They are totally letting Mav fan off the hook.

And I didn't think that would ever be possible. Ever. :fro

Obstructed_View
05-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I knew they were complainers, but I just never dreamed they'd make the Mavericks look knowledgable or civil by comparison, and they'e done both.

pad300
05-14-2007, 04:42 PM
I take anything Hollinger says regarding the Spurs with a grain of salt considering he's on the Spurs payroll.

What are they paying him for? I think I'm at least as good a mathematician, and I'm a pretty good OR analyst. Could I get myself a consulting gig?