PDA

View Full Version : 9-3 Record

lenbriggs
11-25-2004, 09:38 AM
Spurfan,
If someone told you before the season operer that we'd be 9-3 after our first 12 games and have no significant injuries(see last year), would you have taken it??????? That's a no-brainer--of course you would!!!! GO SPURS and have a SPURRRIFIC THANKSGIVING!!!!
P.S. Dirk Nowitzki is the biggest turkey I know!!!

Jimcs50
11-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Not really. They have had an easy schedule so far. They also have been lucky a couple of times in getting to play teams who were without key players...some they won (Miami, Dallas) and they lost to a Memphis team who was w/o their star player. The jury is still out on SA so far. The only real good team they played that was healthy was Seattle and they got killed. TD is the only player that seems to be in midseason form(big surprise).

That being said, they are winning which is better than last year when they were breaking in new players. This is testimony to Pop keeping his roster intact instead of the usual turnover yr after yr.

I really like the two new additions to the team. Barry is better than his counterpart Hedo was, and Beno is far and away better than Ward was last year, so if SA does improve as they should, and Manu and TP start playing up to their offensive potential, the Spurs should once again be a contender come May.

T Park
11-25-2004, 11:07 AM
They have had an easy schedule so far.

Miami, Sacramento, Dallas, Philadelphia, and others is NOT an easy schedual.

Quit buying into the bs.

boutons
11-25-2004, 11:26 AM
T_park, raise your standards, be a "show-me pessimist" like Pop.

Forget the EC for now, even forget the WC, just think about "WC playoff candidates".

SAC W
@SEA L
@MEM L
DAL W

Spurs are a .500 club, and are winless on the road. I think that summary is a more accurate indicator of where the Spurs are now than the 9-3 mirage.

The next 3 consecutive "WC playoff candidate" games will indicate better what's going on.

duncan2k5
11-26-2004, 01:24 AM
spurs won in LA

xcoriate
11-26-2004, 02:09 AM
LA.... oh yeah..

The guys that used to be a threat

T Park
11-26-2004, 04:09 AM
i dont understand.

Last year, they start slow, fans look for bad reasons why they are starting slow.

Spurs start quick, fans look for "real wins"

Why cant fans just stfu, cheer, love the wins, and move on with life.

Kori Ellis
11-26-2004, 04:12 AM
I think it's funny when fans complain about the Spurs not beating "good" teams. It's not like the Spurs can control the schedule. Plus it's so early in the season, we don't even know who the "good" teams are yet.

boutons
11-26-2004, 06:10 AM
Sure, Kori, 1 GM picked the Spurs pre-season to win in 2003, and probably the same number picked the DET last season. But we all know the players and coaches, and we all have a rough idea who the (WC) playoff teams will be, who will be the top 3-4 teams in each conference. ie, the Spurs, everybody's pre-season pick to win NBA or be 2nd or 3rd, are "supposed" to beat just about everybody below them every night, on average. So the Spurs beating TOR or BOS or LAC or ATL or POR proves nothing, while the Spurs losing to those teams isn't "good", "on average" simply because the Spurs org is so damn good, year in and year out.

So the only real measure of where the Spurs are, at any point, is how well they do against the top 4 or 5 teams in the WC, and the top 2 or 3 in the EC, and then, how well the Spurs do on the road. So by that measure, I say the Spurs are a .500 club, and winless on the road, while fully enjoying and celebrating the numerical 9-3.

Every Spur fan is pleased, nobody is complaining about 9-3, esp when we could be where MIN or DAL or DET is now. But we all know any wins against the TOP4 teams in either comference are much better indicators of how solid the Spurs are, at any point in the season, are than is beating the league's non-playoff teams.

In spite of the record, the Spurs have not looked very good in defending 4th qtr leads, in getting stops in crunch time, in offensive execution in crunch time, overall end-to-end defense vs what is expected of Spurs defense, the general underplay of Manu and Tony, and the lack of offensive sync. All of these areas will improve, of course.

The Spurs 3 losses were all avoidable, the Spurs looked bad to horrendous, and there are as many bright spots as their are dark spots.

boutons
11-26-2004, 07:37 AM
"spurs won in LA"

LA is not top WC team, and is not sure to be in WC playoffs. ie, beating LA in LA means nothing as a measure of Spurs' quality.

Jimcs50
11-26-2004, 09:05 AM
I think it's funny when fans complain about the Spurs not beating "good" teams. It's not like the Spurs can control the schedule. Plus it's so early in the season, we don't even know who the "good" teams are yet.

Kori, I am not complaining..if you read my post, I said the jury is still out, as they have played a soft schedule so far. Memphis was w/o their star. Dallas was w/o their 2nd best player and is also a team with a new roster, like SA had last year. Sacto is not even close to being a contender this year. Philly?????? TPark, you are again showing your total lack of objectivity and your keen grasp of ignorance. :rolleyes

Let us wait til we say SA is better than last year, that is all I am saying. On paper, we are, but let the Spurs take it to the court.

Jimcs50
11-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Ok, now these last two wins and the manner in which they achieved them show me a lot more than the previous 9 wins.

I want to see how SA does against Seattle and against Phoenix. That will show me that they can play with teams that will try to run the Spurs into the court.

This fast start is so new to me, I am half expecting the Spurs to drop 6 of 7 to get back to their usual 2nd, 3rd or 4th place this early in the campaign.

boutons
11-28-2004, 10:25 AM
"I want to see how SA does against Seattle and against Phoenix"

Before SEA@SAN on the 8th, this week:

@DAL
PHI
DET

... gives the Spurs plenty of opportunity to convince the doubters.

Jimcs50
11-28-2004, 10:29 AM
"I want to see how SA does against Seattle and against Phoenix"

Before SEA@SAN on the 8th, this week:

@DAL
PHI
DET

... gives the Spurs plenty of opportunity to convince the doubters.

We know how we stack up against Dallas, we win 2 they win 2....and Philly is no problem at all in SA. Detroit is a shell of its former self.

samikeyp
11-28-2004, 10:45 AM
None of this means shit in May. That's when the "games will indicate better what's going on." As we say in South Texas...Ya'll just relax.

boutons
11-28-2004, 10:48 AM
"None of this means shit in May."

no shit

Some of us have fun living the season game by game, week by week, month by month.

exstatic
11-28-2004, 11:29 AM
This fast start is so new to me, I am half expecting the Spurs to drop 6 of 7 to get back to their usual 2nd, 3rd or 4th place this early in the campaign.

Spurs haven't had this many returning players in ages. The only new players in the 8 man rotation are Beno and Bones. The roster turnover is usually the reason that the Spurs start slowly.

Sportcamper
11-28-2004, 11:36 AM
http://www.demko.com/cb981222.gif

It was a very close game...Yea that’s the ticket....109 to 76...Pop had to take Manu & Duncan out of the game in the 3rd quarter because they were so tired....Yea its all making sense to me now...

Let’s see how the Spurs hold up when they play really good teams like the Clippers & the Suns...

CHAMPS AGAIN
11-28-2004, 12:33 PM
26 other teams would love to have SPURS record right now. Who cares who we beat or who we lose to. SPURS record is 11-3 and I love it.

SPURS IN 05

samikeyp
11-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Some of us have fun living the season game by game, week by week, month by month.

my point exactly...no need to stress right now.

Jimcs50
12-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Now I am impressed and am starting to get that good feeling that this is the team to beat afterall.