PDA

View Full Version : Suns stop dreaming, NBA will suspend Stoudemire + Diaw

hater
05-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Do you really think commish Stern will change a rule he has been following like a religion for years, just because the Suns are pretty to look at???

He suspended half the Knick team for less. No doubt he will not hesitate to suspend the Suns players.

I do not agree w/Horry and actually it is a bad thing that they will get suspended, but face reality.

Stoudemire + Diaw suspended 1 game.

Horry suspended 2 games.

Amare_32
05-15-2007, 11:02 AM
One minor diiference the Knicks players actually escalated the situation. Stern should just fine them and move on. Why penalize the Suns and run a chance of costing them the series? That will be rewarding the Spurs for Horry's over excessive hard foul.

hater
05-15-2007, 11:04 AM
The rule is not about "escalating"

the rule is clearly, "any player on the bench comes on the floor = mandatory suspension"

Phil Hellmuth
They won' get suspended.

I could just imagine the public outcry if that happened.

DarrinS
This is a dicey situation. If they aren't suspended, then the rule is useless. If they are suspended, it really hurts Phoenix in this series. I'm sure he hates being in this position. We'll see what happens.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2007, 11:05 AM
One minor diiference the Knicks players actually escalated the situation. Stern should just fine them and move on. Why penalize the Suns and run a chance of costing them the series? That will be rewarding the Spurs for Horry's over excessive hard foul.

Cause they broke the rules

And nobody would be getting rewarded if they just stayed sitting instead of being morons and breaking a rule everone knows about

Amare_32
05-15-2007, 11:06 AM

the rule is clearly, "any player on the bench comes on the floor = mandatory suspension"

Ok by that logic any time a bench celebrates a big play by stepping on the court they should be suspended.

Phil Hellmuth
let amare play, i don't want to hear excuses when we beat them.

Oh, Gee!!
don't let Amare play, I'd rather win

MadDog73
05-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Ahh, but what if Stern says Amare was just "checking into the game."

Sure, everyone knows it's bullshit, but it does provide a way out of a delicate situation.

Oh, and STFU Oh, gee. I don't care if you're being sarcastic or not, your posts just piss me off.

Trainwreck2100
They won' get suspended.

I could just imagine the public outcry if that happened.

Imagine the outcry from people that HAVE gotten suspended for that bullshit. If they ignore this you might as well deep six this rule completely.

DarrinS
Someone told me that the announcement was going to be at 12:00 ET. But where?

Gino20
Ok by that logic any time a bench celebrates a big play by stepping on the court they should be suspended.

No, because the rule clearly states that an altercation must be taking place. Obviously, there was one...

GrandeDavid
This is a dicey situation. If they aren't suspended, then the rule is useless. If they are suspended, it really hurts Phoenix in this series. I'm sure he hates being in this position. We'll see what happens.

I'm not so sure. The Spurs keep their heads up their asses where they left them in the fourth quarter, the Suns might only need Nash to beat the Spurs.

Mr. Peabody

Sure, everyone knows it's bullshit, but it does provide a way out of a delicate situation.

It sets a bad precendent. From now on, every player would say "I was just checking in."

Amare_32
05-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Cause they broke the rules

And nobody would be getting rewarded if they just stayed sitting instead of being morons and breaking a rule everone knows about

Why was it broken? As a result of Horry. For the record I don't want Horry suspended either. This is a dicey situation for Stern.

Trainwreck2100

There's no altercation when the bench is celebrating that's why it says altercation. Hey I got it maybe they were celebrating Nash getting pwned.

ponky

i don't think amare and diaw should be suspended but the op above didn't quote the relevant part of the rule...the rule clearly talks about staying within the immediate vicinity of the bench during an altercation

hater
beleive me, I hate that rule. I do not want to see them suspended, this is a great series.

My point is Stern has been following the rule to the T. an exception here would be so obvious, Stern does not like that.

Oh, Gee!!
It sets a bad precendent. From now on, every player would say "I was just checking in."

or, I was just trying to stop my momentum by kicking my foot out.

Mr. Peabody
05-15-2007, 11:10 AM
or, I was just trying to stop my momentum by kicking my foot out.

That's a perfectly cromulent method for stopping one's momentum.

Trainwreck2100
Why was it broken? As a result of Horry. For the record I don't want Horry suspended either. This is a dicey situation for Stern.

Horry didn't make them go onto the court, if they just stayed where they were supposed to be we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Amare_32

Oh, and STFU Oh, gee. I don't care if you're being sarcastic or not, your posts just piss me off.

I don't know if is true or not. I have been hearing that the Spurs announcer said that Amare was taking of his warmups to get ready to check in. If is true it might be enough to avoid suspension.

Mr. Body

The rule is in place to stop fights, dumb ass, not explicitly to keep players off the court.

That said, I say don't suspend anybody but Horry.

MadDog73

Well, to be fair, if they stick to their story and they don't do anything stupid (like running onto the court ready to throw down), maybe that's OK.

Rules are there for a reason, yes, but individual situations must be taken into account.

A "check-in" loophole would not destroy the NBA.

DarrinS
05-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Sorry if this was already posted

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keown/070515

williemoonshine
05-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Without rules there would be Anarchy!

Oh, Gee!!
05-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Won't somebody please think of the children?

hater
05-15-2007, 11:14 AM
OJ got away with it. Amare should too. where's cochran?

Sweetey
05-15-2007, 11:16 AM
He died 2 years ago.

hater
all I've heard in Suns defense is this:
"Amare is the Suns best player, you cannot do this, don't benefit Horry. This series is the best series of the whole playoffs don't ruin it."

in a court of law, this defense would definitely lose.

AZLouis
Section VII - Fines

c. During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000. The suspensions will commence prior to the start of their next game.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_12.html?nav=ArticleList

Mr. Peabody

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/graphics/cochran.jpg

Trainwreck2100
He died 2 years ago.

What about the white guy?

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
LOL...Big Shot Robs big shot this game was the big shot on Nash right in front of the bench. A playoff foul from a crafty veteran with a handful of rings.

Suns lost their cool. Amare and Diaw are gone am I'm pretty sure I saw Bell try to throw a punch too.

Spurs better take advantage in game 5 and go for the throat.

Oh, Gee!!
05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
What about the white guy?

O.J. never paid him

RiverwalkParade
05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I whole heartedly agree with the idea that Amare and Diaw should not be suspended. However, they broke the rules that are clearly laid out in NBA folklore.

Regardless of the severity of the infraction, the rule was broken. Even worse, the Suns organization should be ashamed of themselves for attempting to mask the situation by saying the Amare was going to the scorer's table to check in.

To make an analogy, this would be like catching your kid shoplifting gum from the gas station and not making them take it back and apologizing. Despite the merchandise being insignificant, it is the principle of the thing.

The mandatory punishment for this is a one game suspension, this is clearly stated in the rule book. Further enforcement is a fine and that fine can be higher depending on the severity of the incident. This is a minor infraction so the mandatory punishment will be given with a minimum fine.

It's unfortunate, I personally would like for the league to set a precedent, but David Stern rules with an iron fist on this rule. Just don't see him bending on it.

nkdlunch
05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
"Amare is the Suns best player, you cannot do this, don't benefit Horry. This series is the best series of the whole playoffs don't ruin it."

word

Oh, Gee!!
05-15-2007, 11:19 AM

depends on the jury

Mr. Peabody
05-15-2007, 11:19 AM
O.J. never paid him

You mean they weren't representing him for free because they believed in his innocence?

Mr. Peabody
05-15-2007, 11:20 AM
depends on the jury

Also on venue. I think the argument might work in Arizona.

ratm1221
05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
We won't know what is going to happen until it is annouced. If there is one thing that the NBA lacks, it's consistency. So don't get your panties in a wad quite yet. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the idiots that are in charge of this league.

I DO think it's funny, though, that some of the same Spurs fans that were saying that they shouldn't suspend certain Warriors players in the Mavs series because they should just let players play, are the same ones rallying to have the Suns' suspended. Ironic. Just goes to show you how biased Spurs fans can be.

*Edit* Some Spurs fans

atxrocker
05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
them being suspended would be the only chance you guys have of winning the series

Oh, Gee!!
05-15-2007, 11:23 AM
them being suspended would be the only chance you guys have of winning the series

we'll take it

Sweetey
05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Sorry if this was already posted

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keown/070515
If the NBA let's Stoudemire and Diaw get away with breaking this rule then they damned well better be ready to let a lot of players get away with breaking rules during the remainder of the playoffs and Finals. Tuff crap if the Suns lose two of their starters. And that bullcrap about Stoudewhiner and Diaw running out just to check on Nash -- puleeeeeeeeze. That was just another Nash-flop and he was up and running in 10 seconds.

Mr. Peabody
05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Just goes to show you how biased Spurs fans can be.

What? You mean fans are biased towards their team? Where did you get this information? Does anyone else know about this?

Mr. Peabody
05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
we'll take it

Take that suspension and double it!!

greensborohill
05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
I just watched it. By the letter of the law, they should be suspended, no if's and's or but's.

nkdlunch
05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
http://gallery.upshizzle.com/albums/05.07/horry%20foul.gif

just saw this again and again. it looks more of a flop by Nash than a fould by HOrry.

Horry will still get suspended but because of the elbow to Bell.

nkdlunch
05-15-2007, 11:27 AM
comeon, Nash saw what Horry was gonna do. and still kept running

Oh, Gee!!
05-15-2007, 11:27 AM
that was not a flop, Horry leveled him--but Nash deserved it for his stupid haircut

v2freak
05-15-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't believe this. The whole situation is a no-brainer; Suns fans apparently believe that Horry physically went over and dragged Diaw + Stoudemire away from the bench. THEY DID IT THEMSELVES. LIKE SHAQ SAID, THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. Leave it to the officials and other 5 guys on your team on the court to resolve it and provide back up.

And by the way, Nash takes a crap load of charges. He's bounced back from every one of them like a daisy in spring, yet one forearm shiver from Horry has him "seeing stars"? Flop if I ever saw one

ratm1221
05-15-2007, 11:41 AM
I say suspend Amare, Nash, Duncan, and Parker. I saw Duncan clapping a bunch and I saw Parker laugh once. Nash is just gay, that should be reason enough. Amare?... He stepped on the court when he wasn't supposed to.

What's funny is none of the reasons makes any more sense than the others. Let's just watch some basketball.

Rummpd
05-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Diaw will be suspended with a wink at Stoudemire's "excuse"

dbreiden83080
05-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Horry didn't make them go onto the court, if they just stayed where they were supposed to be we wouldn't be having this conversation.

That is the big thing Horry was dead wrong but they are responsible for their reaction to what he did. One of the Knicks got body slammed in that 97 series and Ewing and a few other Knicks came onto the court they were all gone for game 6. This will be no different.

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Bell came after Horry after Horry walked away from the play. Bell will be gone for sure too.

Kori Ellis
05-15-2007, 12:43 PM

You should actually know the rule before you quote it. It says that the players can't leave "the immediate vicinity" of the bench during an altercation. It says nothing about stepping on the floor. The league can easily decide they were still in the immediate vicinity if they don't want to suspend them.

Jimcs50
05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
You should actually know the rule before you quote it. It says that the players can't leave "the immediate vicinity" of the bench during an altercation. It says nothing about stepping on the floor. The league can easily decide they were still in the immediate vicinity if they don't want to suspend them.

I disagree. They were being restrained by the coaches, they had intent to get right in the middle of the fracas, it is totally obvious. They will be suspended for game 5, that is a given.

Now will Horry's foul be downgraded to a flagrant 1? I think it should, it was not near as bad as it looked. He body checked Nash, he did not got at his head in the least. Nash flopped, and that made it look much worse than it was.

Jimcs50
05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I disagree. They were being restrained by the coaches, they had intent to get right in the middle of the fracas, it is totally obvious. They will be suspended for game 5, that is a given.

Now will Horry's foul be downgraded to a flagrant 1? I think it should, it was not near as bad as it looked. He body checked Nash, he did not got at his head in the least. Nash flopped, and that made it look much worse than it was.

I agree 100%

Kori Ellis
05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
I disagree. They were being restrained by the coaches, they had intent to get right in the middle of the fracus, it is totally obvious. They will be suspended for game 5, that is a given.

I am just saying that the league CAN choose not to suspend them. The rule isn't about stepping on the court.

As for Horry, he definitely deserves to be suspended. Hip checking Nash was bad - but then the elbow/forearm to the face of Raja Bell is another strike against him.

Gros Membres!
05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Anyone know when the suspensions will be meted out? By what time? I remember during the (unnecessary) Bowen talk the other day that the NBA has to make decisions at least 12 hours before tip? Could we be held in suspense until tomorrow morning?

Jimcs50
05-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Anyone know when the suspensions will be meted out? By what time? I remember during the (unnecessary) Bowen talk the other day that the NBA has to make decisions at least 12 hours before tip? Could we be held in suspense until tomorrow morning?

Today by 5pm

Amare_32
05-15-2007, 12:54 PM

I would think the NBA will make a ruling soon. They would want to put this behind them as soon as possible. The last thing he wants is for this to hover over tonights games.

Strike
05-15-2007, 12:55 PM

If the Suns lose the series based on suspensions, it's the suspended players' faults for breaking the rules, not the league for enforcing the rules.

MadDog73
05-15-2007, 01:14 PM
I am just saying that the league CAN choose not to suspend them. The rule isn't about stepping on the court.

As for Horry, he definitely deserves to be suspended. Hip checking Nash was bad - but then the elbow/forearm to the face of Raja Bell is another strike against him.

Should Bell get suspended too?

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Should Bell get suspended too?

I don't see how Bell could possibly NOT get suspended. Horry walked away from the site of the foul, Bell came after him and threw a closed fist punch. It's on film.

That one should be a slam dunk.

J.T.
05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
So I guess it's going be Horry, Bell, Diaw, and Amare? Holy shit. I say let em play, but if they get suspended I'm not gonna complain.

planaria
05-15-2007, 02:05 PM
So I guess it's going be Horry, Bell, Diaw, and Amare? Holy shit. I say let em play, but if they get suspended I'm not gonna complain.

You forgot Bowen + Duncan!

ManuMagic
05-15-2007, 02:09 PM

The league not suspending them would be showing favoritism to the Suns since others were suspended who didn't even leave the coaches box. I see no way they can't suspend them and not look like and be treated like professional wrestling until Stern is ousted.

v2freak
05-15-2007, 02:09 PM

I say he's got one more strike to use. Honestly, I don't think it was nearly as nasty as it looked. Or, Horry has gotten incredibly strong. LET HIM PLAY!

ManuMagic
05-15-2007, 02:10 PM
You forgot Bowen + Duncan!

Who's reaching now?

I say suspend everyone except Nash and Parker and let them go at it 1 on 1 like that old commercial. They can even move the game to the park.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Who's reaching now?

I say suspend everyone except Nash and Parker and let them go at it 1 on 1 like that old commercial. They can even move the game to the park.

make it take it?

jaespur21
05-15-2007, 02:12 PM
IF they dont suspend them, or @ least stoudewhiner i will be disappointed in the leauge. But i wont be shocked that it sabotages a game against the spurs favor. they clearly broke the rule.
This would have never happen if the refs EVER had any control on this game. The Refs should be reprimanded. this incident is on the refs

ManuMagic
05-15-2007, 02:16 PM
make it take it?

check? check.

ManuMagic
05-15-2007, 02:18 PM
IF they dont suspend them, or @ least stoudewhiner i will be disappointed in the leauge. But i wont be shocked that it sabotages a game against the spurs favor. they clearly broke the rule.
This would have never happen if the refs EVER had any control on this game. The Refs should be reprimanded. this incident is on the refs

You can't blame the refs who were following orders from Stern to call the game in the Suns favor to shut up the whiny suns. The NBA has turned to trash. If only Thomas hadn't run the CBA into the ground...

Nashfan
05-15-2007, 02:57 PM

Yeah, right, whatever helps you sleep at night :rolleyes

sunsbum
05-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, right, whatever helps you sleep at night :rolleyes

LOLOL any fan who calls for robert horry to get downgraded to a flagrent 1 is smoking oregons finest. :smokin

and to top it off they still call for amare and boris to get suspended....every time i think ive read the worlds most stupid post, i always seem to find another one in here.

biba
05-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I can't think Stoud and Diaw being suspended. Unfair. To the Suns ...and to the Spurs (tainted win if there is a win. I want our Spurs to beat Phoenix at full strength).

The league has to suspend them.

I'm dreaming this "classy" Spurs organisation asks the League NOT to suspend Stoud and Diaw during this series. I'm dreaming.

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2007, 03:44 PM
You are definitely dreaming.

Obstructed_View
05-15-2007, 05:20 PM
LOLOL any fan who calls for robert horry to get downgraded to a flagrent 1 is smoking oregons finest. :smokin
Agreed. They call a flagrant 2 with an immediate ejection because if they upgrade it later the player is suspended for the following game. Horry may indeed receive a extra suspension for the contact with Bell, but he probably won't receive anything more than he got on the floor for the original foul. The only way they downgrade that foul is if nobody on either team is suspended or fined. That is highly, highly unlikely.

E20
05-15-2007, 05:52 PM
http://gallery.upshizzle.com/albums/05.07/horry%20foul.gif
That has a good amount of acting.

Nash avoids hitting hard on the ground by using his arm as an anchor on the ad placement then makes it look like he hit his head helluv hard, then just for kicks he gets both his arms and flails them back as if he were hit by a Ram. Tell me this how can he use his arm for support to touch the table then suddenly push them both back as if he were speared.