PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Falwell Dies

Jamtas#2
05-15-2007, 12:40 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8P4UVFO1&show_article=1

LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) - A Liberty University executive says the Rev. Jerry Falwell has died.
Falwell was hospitalized in "gravely serious" condition after being found unconscious Tuesday in his office at Liberty University, a school executive said earlier.

Ron Godwin, the university's executive vice president, said Falwell, 73, was found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and taken to Lynchburg General Hospital. Godwin said he was not sure what caused the collapse, but he said Falwell "has a history of heart challenges."

"I had breakfast with him, and he was fine at breakfast," Godwin said. "He went to his office, I went to mine, and they found him unresponsive."

Falwell, a television evangelist who founded the Moral Majority, became the face of the religious right in the 1980s. He later founded the conservative Liberty University and serves as its president.

Falwell survived two serious health scares in early 2005. He was hospitalized for two weeks with what was described as a viral infection, then was hospitalized again a few weeks later after going into respiratory arrest. Later that year, doctors found a 70 percent blockage in an artery, which they opened with stents.

Liberty University's commencement is scheduled for Saturday, with former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich as the featured speaker.

clambake
05-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Oh no, who's going to spew the horseshit now?

atxrocker
05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
i won't be losing any sleep. someone will replace him (joel olsteen maybe?)

Duff McCartney
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't know about that..Joel Osteen is at least a bit more level headed than Falwell.

I know people don't want to sound like dicks...but he didn't exactly make himself a likeable person.

Maybe now he'll find himself in a place where he didn't want to be for judging all the people that weren't like him.

clambake
05-15-2007, 01:05 PM
You mean Hell has filled another vacancy?

01Snake
05-15-2007, 03:04 PM
That Hagee dude scares me.

boutons_
05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
"Hagee dude scares me."

that's what he tries to do, with his obsession and scare-mongering with the Armageddon, the Second Coming, End Times. It's freak world on nut-case interpretation of the Bible, for which he and his wife pocket $3M/year in revenues.

SA210
05-15-2007, 04:06 PM
"Hagee dude scares me."

that's what he tries to do, with his obsession and scare-mongering with the Armageddon, the Second Coming, End Times. It's freak world on nut-case interpretation of the Bible, for which he and his wife pocket $3M/year in revenues.
3 mill a year? damn.

boutons_
05-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Express-News had an article last year saying he and wife paid themselves about $2.5M. A year later ....

gtownspur
05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
3 mill a year? damn.

he did own a university.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Good riddance. See ya, Fartwell.

exstatic
05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Falwell is in the uncomfortable position of hoping the Atheists are right. If there is a God of the type Jerry professed, he will certainly judge him harshly for his greed $$$, gluttony, and general un-Christian behavior towards those he finds wanting.

I'll never forget him professing to step in and help Jim and Tammy Fay when they were in trouble, and then attempting to steal the entire PTL ministry, lock stock and barrel. That was when I knew exactly what Jerry Falwell was: a greedy, power hungry sinner.

Budkin
05-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Burn in hell you fat racist bigot!

dav4463
05-16-2007, 05:26 AM
He is still a human being and he tried to do what he thought was right most of the time. We are all going to be in his spot someday and who knows, we may even meet him on the other side. Think about it.

jochhejaam
05-16-2007, 06:26 AM
loss of life isn't something to celebrate--

Your best post ever!

Extra Stout
05-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Dancing on the guy's grave isn't fair.

I think he was a much better pastor than he was political operative. As a pastor, he helped a lot of people, though obviously I disagree with his theology.

As a political operative, he delivered votes to the GOP for decades and helped form the Religious Right into a political force, but his involvement got him none of the things he wanted. Roe vs. Wade is still the law of the land. Legitimate births are down. Family cohesion is down.

Maybe his life showed that the local church can change culture, but politics can't.

xrayzebra
05-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Even Larry Flynt has more style than some on this board.

Larry Flynt On Jerry Falwell: Hustler Lawsuit Revisited On Day Of Rival's Death

LYNCHBURG, Va (May 15, 2007) -- The Rev. Jerry Falwell, the folksy, small-town preacher who used the power of television to found the Moral Majority and turn the Christian right into a mighty force in American politics during the Reagan years, died Tuesday at 73.

One of Falwell's most memorable opponents was Hustler kingpin Larry Flynt, who had a very public legal battle with the Reverend over freedom of speech rights.

At the heart of the case was a satirical ad that ran in Hustler in 1983with the headline "Jerry Falwell Talks About His First Time," in which the magazine described a drunken Falwell having an incestuous encounter with his mother.

Falwell sued Flynt (pictured together on "Larry King Live" in 1997), alleging libel and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

However, the Supreme Court ruled that a public figure could not recover damages over distress based on satire under the umbrella of free speech.

Upon hearing of his death, Flynt released the following statement to Access Hollywood:

"The Reverend Jerry Falwell and I were arch enemies for fifteen years. We became involved in a lawsuit concerning First Amendment rights and Hustler magazine. Without question, this was my most important battle – the l988 Hustler Magazine, Inc., v. Jerry Falwell case, where after millions of dollars and much deliberation, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled in my favor.

My mother always told me that no matter how much you dislike a person, when you meet them face to face you will find characteristics about them that you like. Jerry Falwell was a perfect example of that. I hated everything he stood for, but after meeting him in person, years after the trial, Jerry Falwell and I became good friends. He would visit me in

California and we would debate together on college campuses. I always appreciated his sincerity even though I knew what he was selling and he knew what I was selling.

The most important result of our relationship was the landmark decision from the Supreme Court that made parody protected speech, and the fact that much of what we see on television and hear on the radio today is a direct result of my having won that now famous case which Falwell played such an important role in."

Falwell is survived by his wife, Macel, his two sons and a daughter, Jeannie Falwell Savas. Funeral arrangements were not immediately known.

Mr. Peabody
05-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Even Larry Flynt has more style than some on this board.

Larry Flynt On Jerry Falwell: Hustler Lawsuit Revisited On Day Of Rival's Death

LYNCHBURG, Va (May 15, 2007) -- The Rev. Jerry Falwell, the folksy, small-town preacher who used the power of television to found the Moral Majority and turn the Christian right into a mighty force in American politics during the Reagan years, died Tuesday at 73.

One of Falwell's most memorable opponents was Hustler kingpin Larry Flynt, who had a very public legal battle with the Reverend over freedom of speech rights.

At the heart of the case was a satirical ad that ran in Hustler in 1983with the headline "Jerry Falwell Talks About His First Time," in which the magazine described a drunken Falwell having an incestuous encounter with his mother.

Falwell sued Flynt (pictured together on "Larry King Live" in 1997), alleging libel and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

However, the Supreme Court ruled that a public figure could not recover damages over distress based on satire under the umbrella of free speech.

Upon hearing of his death, Flynt released the following statement to Access Hollywood:

"The Reverend Jerry Falwell and I were arch enemies for fifteen years. We became involved in a lawsuit concerning First Amendment rights and Hustler magazine. Without question, this was my most important battle – the l988 Hustler Magazine, Inc., v. Jerry Falwell case, where after millions of dollars and much deliberation, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled in my favor.

My mother always told me that no matter how much you dislike a person, when you meet them face to face you will find characteristics about them that you like. Jerry Falwell was a perfect example of that. I hated everything he stood for, but after meeting him in person, years after the trial, Jerry Falwell and I became good friends. He would visit me in

California and we would debate together on college campuses. I always appreciated his sincerity even though I knew what he was selling and he knew what I was selling.

The most important result of our relationship was the landmark decision from the Supreme Court that made parody protected speech, and the fact that much of what we see on television and hear on the radio today is a direct result of my having won that now famous case which Falwell played such an important role in."

Falwell is survived by his wife, Macel, his two sons and a daughter, Jeannie Falwell Savas. Funeral arrangements were not immediately known.

Good post. Good article.

boutons_
05-16-2007, 11:49 AM
There are lots of likable people "face to face" who don't spend their lives spouting hateful, unloving, polarizing, unchristian, spiteful shit in public "in the name of Christ", rousing the rabble, suckering the sheeple, the way Falwell got rich doing.

xrayzebra
05-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah, you mean like you boutons. But even you I wouldn't
celebrate your death. I only celebrate life.

clambake
05-16-2007, 01:29 PM
You're right ray. Life is better now that he's dead. Let's celebrate!!!!

johnsmith
05-16-2007, 02:06 PM
You're right ray. Life is better now that he's dead. Let's celebrate!!!!

For someone that claims to be a peaceful individual, you sure do hate a lot.

clambake
05-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Ah come on JS. He's the original 9-11 conspiracy theorist. Remember the hate this guy spread?

smeagol
05-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Falwell is in the uncomfortable position of hoping the Atheists are right. If there is a God of the type Jerry professed, he will certainly judge him harshly for his greed $$$, gluttony, and general un-Christian behavior towards those he finds wanting.

I'll never forget him professing to step in and help Jim and Tammy Fay when they were in trouble, and then attempting to steal the entire PTL ministry, lock stock and barrel. That was when I knew exactly what Jerry Falwell was: a greedy, power hungry sinner.
Wow, you almost sound like a Christian yourself :spin

Soul_Patch
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
"I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gay sand the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who try to secularize America...I point the thing in their face and say you helped this happen!!"

--Falwell right after the 9/11 attacks---

"I hope to live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again.

"Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions"

"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals, it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals"

Oh yea...this guy was awesome...someone to be celebrated for sure.

Bob Lanier
05-17-2007, 02:52 PM
WBC will Preach at Jerry Falwell's Funeral!! (http://www.godhatesamerica.com/)
:lmao

Jerry Falwell's rotting corpse has done much for the world.

boutons_
05-17-2007, 06:03 PM
http://www.uclick.com/feature/07/05/17/gm070517.gif

Shelly
05-17-2007, 06:35 PM
My friend, that lives in VA, said a black cloud lifted over the state the day he croaked.

clambake
05-17-2007, 07:00 PM
That's because he's no longer producing gas.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-17-2007, 07:54 PM
But who will tell our children that the purple telletubby should be ignored because it's a homosexual role model???

Who will be the fatter older more religious version of rush limbaugh?

one less neocon.

Bob Lanier
05-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Falwell wasn't a "neocon" in any sense.

A radical religious conservative of the most evil sort, sure, but he didn't take any of the liberal stances that characterise neoconservatism.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-17-2007, 10:28 PM
I guess he was a neocon in the 'con' aspect of it.

I guess you could say he put's the 'con' in neocon.

RandomGuy
05-18-2007, 08:59 AM

I think he was a much better pastor than he was political operative. As a pastor, he helped a lot of people, though obviously I disagree with his theology.

As a political operative, he delivered votes to the GOP for decades and helped form the Religious Right into a political force, but his involvement got him none of the things he wanted. Roe vs. Wade is still the law of the land. Legitimate births are down. Family cohesion is down.

Maybe his life showed that the local church can change culture, but politics can't.

Best assessment.

Religion and politics generally don't mix well.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-19-2007, 10:14 AM

I'll second this one. I happen to know a few kids through coaching debate that got full scholarships from gerry for no other reason than they couldnt pay and he didnt mind waving tuition. Now education at liberty is a lot like being taught by sean hannity rush limbaugh and tony snow.... but its still free

Nbadan
05-22-2007, 05:09 PM
May 22, 2007 - ABC News is reporting a 19-year-old student at Liberty University was arrested for having multiple "napalm-like" bombs in his car.

There are three other suspects being sought in the situation.

Falwell died a week ago after collapsing in his office at Liberty University. His physician said Falwell had a heart condition and presumably died of a heart rhythm abnormality.

Falwell founded the university in 1971.

The student, 19-year-old Mark Ewell of Amissville, Va., reportedly told authorities that he was making the bombs to stop protesters from disrupting the funeral service.

Three other suspects are being sought, one of whom is a soldier from Fort Benning, Ga., and another is a high school student. No information was available on the third person.

Authorities were alerted to the potential bomb plot by a concerned relative of Ewell.

ABC News (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=nation_world&id=5328523&ft=print)

Well, Falwell himself did once say, "Blow them all to hell in the name of the Lord."

cholo
05-22-2007, 05:32 PM
wow falwell used chrisitanity to send a great message to his students

mikejones99
05-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I bet he will show up in Southpark someday