PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: How Well would Phoenix match up vs Detroit

Soul_Patch
05-15-2007, 03:09 PM
...Lets say this happened. I was considering this today. How well do you think these two teams match up?

Do you see it being an easy suns win? easy pistons win?

I honestly haven't been following basketball (outside of the spurs) this year as much as i normally do, so i am a lot less knowledgable about the pistons than a lot of you.

Id like to hear what the consensus is.

Findog
05-15-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't think it's automatic at all that Phoenix wins. In fact, I think it would be a helluva series. Bell has to guard Rip so therefore Billups is free to trounce Nash defensively. Wallace takes Amare and that leaves Webber to guard Marion. Prince and Diaw would be forced to guard each other, and I think Prince gets the better of that matchup.

Suns have more offensive firepower, but the Detroit bench is deeper. I'd say Suns in 7, since they'd be certain to get at least one in Detroit and send the series back to Phoenix in the 2-3-2 format.

I'd much rather watch Detroit-Phoenix than Detroit-San Antonio.

ponky
05-15-2007, 03:20 PM
i think it would be a fun series as well. i know it's not much to go by but this season, the pistons beat the suns in phoenix by a huge margin of over 20 points with subar performances by billups and hamilton and the suns won a close game in detroit without chauncey billups in the lineup. both teams should have enough playoff experience to keep them from getting fazed, and hopefully the suns will stay calm upon finally reaching the finals, if they do in fact get there

JamStone
05-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Tough call. I think Pistons' offensive balance would propose problems for the Suns because they haven't faced an offense where all five players are capable of putting up 25+ points in any given game. They have been able to double off players to focus on Kobe or Duncan or Parker. With the Pistons, teams generally can't do that because the Pistons will exploit mismatches and pass out of double teams to guys that can all knock down shots. However, the Suns transition game can really put pressure on the Pistons to play at a faster pace than they want to. Billups is one of the better point guards at establishing a half-court pace. But, if Phoenix pushes, Detroit's transition defense would be susceptible to allowing a lot of fastbreak points.

I think it would be a very competitive series. Objectively, I would give the edge to the Suns in seven games since they would have homecourt advantage.

Soul_Patch
05-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Well im obviously biased and would prefer a pistons v spurs finals...but that said, i do think a suns pistons final would be very watchable.

mardigan
05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
I will root for the Pistons throughout if the SPurs get knocked out

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Phoenix would kill Detroit. To beat Phoenix, you need a low post threat and great slashers. The Pistons lack in both categories. Therefore Suns in 6.

DarkReign
05-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Phoenix would kill Detroit. To beat Phoenix, you need a low post threat and great slashers. The Pistons lack in both categories. Therefore Suns in 6.

:lmao

Sometimes I wonder if you even watch basketball.

Bob Lanier
05-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Detroit would easily win.

Of course, San Antonio should easily win, too.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 03:50 PM

Sometimes I wonder if you even watch basketball.
Detroit relies on their outside shots which feeds right into the Suns style of play. The spurs though go inside-out and have great slashers in Parker and Ginobili that really give the suns fits.

monosylab1k
05-15-2007, 03:55 PM

WHAT??!

you need a low post threat

Chris Webber? And Rasheed is a top 5 post player in the league when he isn't gay for his crappy 3 point shot.

great slashers.

Tayshaun Prince always seems to find a way to the hole when it matters. And while it's not slashing in the typical sense of the word, the way Rip Hamilton slices through a defense without the ball works almost as well as any "slasher".

Detroit would murder Phoenix.

mabber
05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Would be nice to see Sheed play down low like he'd have to for the Pistons to beat the Suns. I think it would be a good series.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
WHAT??!

Chris Webber? And Rasheed is a top 5 post player in the league when he isn't gay for his crappy 3 point shot.

Tayshaun Prince always seems to find a way to the hole when it matters. And while it's not slashing in the typical sense of the word, the way Rip Hamilton slices through a defense without the ball works almost as well as any "slasher".

Detroit would murder Phoenix.
Rasheed might be a top 5 post player but he rarely posts up. He is usually waiting at the 3 point for his shot. Detroit just doesn't have the offensive fire power to go back at the suns. Also Webber was held scoreless 2 straight games. With Ben Wallace gone, the suns will be able to attack the rim better along with not getting killed on the boards. Webber will be useless in this series as the suns will exploit his lack of speed.

mardigan
05-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Rasheed might be a top 5 post player but he rarely posts up. He is usually waiting at the 3 point for his shot. Detroit just doesn't have the offensive fire power to go back at the suns. Also Webber was held scoreless 2 straight games. With Ben Wallace gone, the suns will be able to attack the rim better along with not getting killed on the boards. Webber will be useless in this series as the suns will exploit his lack of speed.
Webber isnt much slower than Tim.
Detroit also has McDyess and maxiell who can score in the post. Billups will run all over nash. The Pistons have great interior d, and I doubt the Suns would be able to score more at the rim or get more boards.

monosylab1k
05-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Detroit just doesn't have the offensive fire power to go back at the suns.

They have more firepower than the Spurs do. Webber, McDyess, and Wallace will all own Stoudemire/Thomas/Whoever in the post. And if they want a 3 point shootout, I'll take my chances with Billups, Hamilton, and Prince.

Detroit also has much better perimeter defense as they don't have a weak link like Tony Parker out there. Billups would manhandle Nash out there.

althought none of this matters because San Antonio is winning the series.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Webber isnt much slower than Tim.
Detroit also has McDyess and maxiell who can score in the post.
:lmao Thanks for the joke. Duncan>>>>>Webber in everything.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 04:08 PM
They have more firepower than the Spurs do. Webber, McDyess, and Wallace will all own Stoudemire/Thomas/Whoever in the post. And if they want a 3 point shootout, I'll take my chances with Billups, Hamilton, and Prince.

Detroit also has much better perimeter defense as they don't have a weak link like Tony Parker out there. Billups would manhandle Nash out there.

Tony Parker is great defensively. What series have you been watching? Billups is too slow to guard Nash so it goes both ways. I guess we'll see what happens but I think the suns match up much better to the Pistons than the spurs. The spurs are a nightmare matchup for the suns because of Duncan.

Findog
05-15-2007, 04:11 PM

Wallace can score on the low blocks, McDyess can score on the low blocks, Billups, Hamilton and Prince can all get to the rim, Webber can easily find cutters to the basket when they station him out on the high post. Detroit can easily play big ball against Phoenix.

mardigan
05-15-2007, 04:11 PM
:lmao Thanks for the joke. Duncan>>>>>Webber in everything.
Yea, he is better at everything (except maybe passing), all I said was that Webber wasnt much slower because he isnt and that argument really wont make any difference

Findog
05-15-2007, 04:12 PM

Agreed. It's funny to read the sky is falling handwringing from a significant portion of the Spurs fanbase today.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Yea, he is better at everything (except maybe passing), all I said was that Webber wasnt much slower because he isnt and that argument really wont make any difference
Yeah it does make a difference. Who is Webber going to guard? Marion? Duncan is incredibly mobile for a big man unlike Webber. At least after surgery Webber.

monosylab1k
05-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Tony Parker is great defensively.

:lmao thanks for the joke. so great defensively that even devin harris makes him his bitch. so great that nash is playing better versus TONY parker than he did versus SMUSH parker.

if parker is so great defensively, why is bowen on nash now?

wait till billups handles nash and leaves the better defenders like prince and rasheed to take care of marion and stoudemire.

What series have you been watching?

the Spurs-Suns series, not "adventures in fantasy basketball".

mabber
05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Tony Parker is great defensively. What series have you been watching? Billups is too slow to guard Nash so it goes both ways. I guess we'll see what happens but I think the suns match up much better to the Pistons than the spurs. The spurs are a nightmare matchup for the suns because of Duncan.

Are you serious?

mardigan
05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Yeah it does make a difference. Who is Webber going to guard? Marion? Duncan is incredibly mobile for a big man unlike Webber. At least after surgery Webber.
They run a lot of their offense through Webber, so he doesnt have to be very mobile in half court sets

monosylab1k
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Are you serious?

he needs to just keep the Suns as his favorite team, cuz after all this bullshit I don't think any Mavs fans will take him back.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
:lmao thanks for the joke. so great defensively that even devin harris makes him his bitch. so great that nash is playing better versus TONY parker than he did versus SMUSH parker.

if parker is so great defensively, why is bowen on nash now?

wait till billups handles nash and leaves the better defenders like prince and rasheed to take care of marion and stoudemire.

the Spurs-Suns series, not "adventures in fantasy basketball".
Almost all of the spurs fans agree that Parker should be guarding Nash and not Bowen. Bowen should be guarding Marion. Parker has been doing great on Nash almost everytime he guarded him.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 04:21 PM
he needs to just keep the Suns as his favorite team, cuz after all this bullshit I don't think any Mavs fans will take him back.
I think you have nut that you need cutting off. :lol

monosylab1k
05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Almost all of the spurs fans agree that Parker should be guarding Nash and not Bowen. Bowen should be guarding Marion. Parker has been doing great on Nash almost everytime he guarded him.

then explain how Nash's numbers have gotten better against San Antonio, especially considering he just finished a series being guarded by that most feared of players, Smush.

I remember Nash scoring at will in game 1 with TP on him. I remember the only thing stopping Nash that game was his own bloody nose.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-15-2007, 04:25 PM
The Pistons first need to get by the bulls then the cavs before we can talk. If we make it to the Finals the spurs match up way better with us then the suns.

majinkoola
05-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Billups would abuse Nash, obviously. But Bell could guard Rip as well as just about anyone, and Marion would do a good job on Prince. He struggles to defend stronger players like Odom, Carmelo, not rail-thin players who aren't as quick as him like Prince. I don't think KT would play too much as neither Webber nor Rasheed are dominant post players right now. The matchup advantage I would give the Suns would be Diaw against Webber. Rasheed could guard Amare well, but there is no way Webber could stay in front of Diaw.

I just can't envision the Suns beating the Spurs, then losing to the Pistons. Then again, I didn't think it was possible for the Mavs to lose in the Finals last year either, but it happened.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 04:29 PM
then explain how Nash's numbers have gotten better against San Antonio, especially considering he just finished a series being guarded by that most feared of players, Smush.

I remember Nash scoring at will in game 1 with TP on him. I remember the only thing stopping Nash that game was his own bloody nose.
No one stops Nash. Bowen can shut down Marion though and Parker's speed does bother Nash and force a lot of turnovers.

DarkReign
05-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Keep going. Please.

For the record, Im not saying Detroit would KILL Phoenix. Im just laughing at this bum for never watching a team then spouting an opinion as if he knows what hes talking about.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Keep going. Please.

For the record, Im not saying Detroit would KILL Phoenix. Im just laughing at this bum for never watching a team then spouting an opinion as if he knows what hes talking about.
The reason the Pistons are beating the bulls is that the bulls can't score. No team has yet been able to shut down the suns consistently. The pistons will have to score 100+ to beat the suns and I don't think they'll be able to do that. Also without a dominant low post player it will be harder to control the tempo. Similar to what Golden State did to Dallas.

monosylab1k
05-15-2007, 04:42 PM
No one stops Nash. Bowen can shut down Marion though and Parker's speed does bother Nash and force a lot of turnovers.

which explains why nash had more turnovers per game against the Lakers until Bowen started guarding him, and then he had 8 in one game.

DO you just run simulations on NBA Live and then come spouting that stuff like it's sure to happen in real life?

DarkReign
05-15-2007, 05:24 PM
The reason the Pistons are beating the bulls is that the bulls can't score. No team has yet been able to shut down the suns consistently. The pistons will have to score 100+ to beat the suns and I don't think they'll be able to do that. Also without a dominant low post player it will be harder to control the tempo. Similar to what Golden State did to Dallas.

No seriously, keep going....its getting better....:lmao

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 05:36 PM
which explains why nash had more turnovers per game against the Lakers until Bowen started guarding him, and then he had 8 in one game.

DO you just run simulations on NBA Live and then come spouting that stuff like it's sure to happen in real life?
Bowen guarded him the whole series but when Parker guarded him, he did better than Bowen. Cut your nut off first since that was deal you made.

Lp26
05-15-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm with Dark Reign, MavsFan1000 is hilarious :lol

In my biased opinion (if you can even call it that since i'm a pretty negative Pistons fan),

DET would win.

Sheed will go down on the block. Amare's defense sucks. Marion can't guard him. Webber actually looked great on the block last time we played them, and running the offense through him was very effective. We played that game w/o Billups who got injured in 2nd quarter, and still blew them out. Prince was great. IIRC, Rip was our weakest link against them, and was still effective enough.

Delfino was great against them last time. Hell, even Murray looked great against them. J-max, i don't think played, but can be effective at big ball if the Pistons go w/ that. He's quick, moves his feet, and is usually in the right spot defensively.

PHO defense while much improved still has a problem guarding all 5 positions when all 5 are scorers. As evidenced in the Spurs game, someone was always open, and it was usually Nash's man.

Our new and improved rebounding has been great for the most part. I don't think it will be a breeze, but DET will get it done.

If DET (and PHO) get there.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm with Dark Reign, MavsFan1000 is hilarious :lol

In my biased opinion (if you can even call it that since i'm a pretty negative Pistons fan),

DET would win.

Sheed will go down on the block. Amare's defense sucks. Marion can't guard him. Webber actually looked great on the block last time we played them, and running the offense through him was very effective. We played that game w/o Billups who got injured in 2nd quarter, and still blew them out. Prince was great. IIRC, Rip was our weakest link against them, and was still effective enough.

Delfino was great against them last time. Hell, even Murray looked great against them. J-max, i don't think played, but can be effective at big ball if the Pistons go w/ that. He's quick, moves his feet, and is usually in the right spot defensively.

PHO defense while much improved still has a problem guarding all 5 positions when all 5 are scorers. As evidenced in the Spurs game, someone was always open, and it was usually Nash's man.

Our new and improved rebounding has been great for the most part. I don't think it will be a breeze, but DET will get it done.

If DET (and PHO) get there.
Phoenix had a marathon game against the mavs that they heroically came back in. No surprise the suns laid an egg the next couple games.

beirmeistr
05-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I think the Pistons have much more experience than the Suns. They are a great defensive team, they are not old, they have pretty good shooters, a reat bench, and they have Billups, who is just as clutch as Nash is.

Amarelooms
05-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Phoenix or the Spurs might not beat Utah

trueD
05-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Pistons are actually up there in age, average being 30.1 years after throwing out the highest and lowest on the PO roster.

HOWEVER, Suns age, using the same formula, are 32.9. 32.9!

So much for my argument that Detroit is older, but I do think they are slower. Pound for pound, Suns have the ability to inject their will into the games pace. Amare is the inside presence Detroit does not have, Nash is faster than Billups by a mile (y'all are crazy if you believe different!) and Marion is miles faster than Webber, which isn't saying much but it is what it is. However, Detroit is built to play total team ball and have been running their inside-outside game pretty well post C-Web, and word is they're pretty good at it. Prince's man-on-man defense may be able to cover Webber's butt so he can dish, but not for 6 or 7 games :lol

There are no good perimeter defensive powerhouses on Suns, but they would run the asses off Detroit. I'd expect Detroit to adjust after 1-1/2 games, however they'd have to do so without C-Webb on the floor much.

It would be a close series.

DarkReign
05-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Just so its out there, I never said Detroit would win.

But his breakdown of what Detroit is and what Detroit is not is so completely off base and untrue, I just laugh aloud when reading.

I think it would be a great series, personally. Phoenix is a damn fine team when they stay on the bench. :)

JamStone
05-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Both times Detroit played Phoenix this season, they scored over 100 points, including a win at Phoenix:

http://www.nba.com/games/20070316/DETPHX/boxscore.html

mabber
05-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Guess we'll never know after the suspensions have almost guaranteed the Spurs will beat the Suns.

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2007, 03:12 PM
pistons would destroy the suns in 4 games

the suns would whine about the calls, the dirty, the physical game <<< fuck them

Spurs>mavs
05-16-2007, 07:14 PM
I would have Detroit Beating them in 6.

Just becasue i don't like the suns. :pctoss