PDA

View Full Version : Stoudemire, Diaw, and Horry Suspended

gmanrulz
05-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Three Players Suspended Following Spurs-Suns Incident
Posted May 15 2007 7:02PM
Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook
NEW YORK, May 15 -- Robert Horry of the San Antonio Spurs has been suspended two games without pay and Amaré Stoudemire and Boris Diaw of the Phoenix Suns have each been suspended one game without pay for their actions in last night's game, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.

Horry has been suspended for flagrantly fouling Phoenix’s Steve Nash and striking Raja Bell above the shoulders with a forearm. Stoudemire and Diaw have been suspended for leaving “the immediate vicinity of their bench” during an altercation. The incident occurred with :18 remaining in the fourth period of the Suns' 104-98 win over the Spurs last night at AT&T Center.

Horry will serve his suspension sitting out Games 5 and 6 of the Spurs-Suns Western Conference Semifinal series, while Stoudemire and Diaw will miss Game 5 tomorrow night at US Airways Center in Phoenix.

http://www.nba.com/news/spurssunssuspension_070515.html

White Goodman
05-15-2007, 06:45 PM
good decision by the league even though it may not seem right, they had to folow rules

Shit...this play by Horry *might* be on the level of the 3-pointer he made against Sac few years back :ihit

Vinnie_Johnson
05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Nice job stearn way to wreck the series.

kingsfan
05-15-2007, 07:26 PM
good decision by the league even though it may not seem right, they had to folow rules

Shit...this play by Horry *might* be on the level of the 3-pointer he made against Sac few years back :ihitNot even close. I know they broke the rules but losing Diaw + Amare>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rob. If the Spurs manage to win it will be tainted.

ShackO
05-15-2007, 07:56 PM
& it should be tainted...............

bowen got nothing for his kick of Amare and kneeing nash in the balls.. Now two guys come off the bench & get half of what whorry gets for taking someone out like that...

They should have just fined them....IMO

confined
05-15-2007, 07:57 PM
wtf is this shit?!

trueD
05-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Good call by Stern, imo. He didn't have any choice about suspending Diaw and Amare, and Horry gets the worst of it.

That outta set the Spurs back a couple of clutch shots late in the 4th :lol

gtownspur
05-15-2007, 09:26 PM
& it should be tainted...............

bowen got nothing for his kick of Amare and kneeing nash in the balls.. Now two guys come off the bench & get half of what whorry gets for taking someone out like that...

They should have just fined them....IMO

Eat your twinkies and stfu fat ass emo.

Kamnik
05-16-2007, 08:02 AM
imo this just shows what low basketball IQ (and ordinary IQ too in that matter) Amare has

Horry just won game 5 for the Spurs and probably changed the whole outcome of the series too

since those pushups he once made and then missed both free throws i see Amare as a stupid clown with great athleticism and skills which are f***** up by his low IQ

lifting weights or making pushups screws your shooting; every basketball player knows that

ponky
05-16-2007, 08:03 AM
NBA commissioner David Stern has canceled a schedule appearance in Phoenix for Wednesday night's Game 5.

LMFAO, FUCKING COWARD!!!! i'm done talking about the suspensions per se because it is what it is, but this is freakin' hilarious. even stern is not man enough to stand by his rulings and go to the game.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/6914/sterncowardmt7.jpg

monosylab1k
05-16-2007, 08:57 AM
lifting weights or making pushups screws your shooting; every basketball player knows that

what? maybe in the immediate aftermath of lifting weights, yes, but if you practice your shot enough then that shouldn't be a problem. shooting is almost all in the wrist and hand and getting momentum from your legs, so muscle doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.

every NBA player lifts weights :dizzy if they don't they won't last very long in the league. they don't bulk up like football players just because agility and jumping are such premiums in basketball, but NBA players hit the weight room just like any other pro athlete.

Islymore
05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
I have no complaints with the suspensions, i think it comes down to what happened and the commish actually following the rules. horry deserved it, diaw/amare did for leavin the bench if its a concrete rule, its a rule. period.

but oh well, wonder how its gonna come out tonights game??

Findog
05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
The leave the bench rule has been instrumental in helping the refs keep things under control. However, the League could've found a middle path between not enforcing a rule that works most of the time and altering the complexion of a series and ultimately deciding it in the commish's office. If guys throw punches at other players or fans, then they serve their suspensions immediately, even if it happens to be a playoff game. If it's a case like here where Amare and Diaw DEFINITELY violated the bench rule but their actions didn't result in an escalation, no harm, no foul, then roll their suspensions over to the next regular season. Punish them for breaking a rule, fine, but don't let it affect the outcome of a playoff series, especially when they get punished more for a cheap shot sequence that was initiated by the Spurs.

mardigan
05-16-2007, 09:16 AM
I dont think Diaw should have been suspended, but Amare had to be suspended. When you rush on the court like that and have to be restrained, your gona get suspended. I still dont know how I feel about the Horry suspension

Islymore
05-16-2007, 09:25 AM
^ yeah, i've looked at it all morning and its obvious Amare was headed to the "altercation"... he had 3 or more ppl pullin him back to the bench, but he was "checkin in" - eh?

Horry i still believe he should be suspended. A foul is a foul, a flop is a flop... but he did hip-check Nash a lil more than necessary to get a foul call.

trueD
05-16-2007, 09:48 AM
The leave the bench rule has been instrumental in helping the refs keep things under control. However, the League could've found a middle path between not enforcing a rule that works most of the time and altering the complexion of a series and ultimately deciding it in the commish's office. If guys throw punches at other players or fans, then they serve their suspensions immediately, even if it happens to be a playoff game. If it's a case like here where Amare and Diaw DEFINITELY violated the bench rule but their actions didn't result in an escalation, no harm, no foul, then roll their suspensions over to the next regular season. Punish them for breaking a rule, fine, but don't let it affect the outcome of a playoff series, especially when they get punished more for a cheap shot sequence that was initiated by the Spurs.
Stern can't fudge on the bench rule. He cannot guarantee the intent of the players, making it impossible to set a positive precedent. Guys who leave the bench in the future would cry "Hey, I meant no harm to anyone". Being an important PO series should have no bearing at all, imo. Preserving the punishment for next season wouldn't work. You can't tell your kid he doesn't get to go to that party next month for beating his little sister today--but have fun at the Prom tonight. Tough love, Baby.

To me, Horry getting suspended two games for that contact is one game more than would have been expected, but was a fair ruling in light of the fact that Horry started the melee in the first place. Without looking, is there a specific rule about number of games served for a body check vs. an elbow above the shoulders?

Kamnik
05-16-2007, 10:44 AM
what? maybe in the immediate aftermath of lifting weights, yes, but if you practice your shot enough then that shouldn't be a problem. shooting is almost all in the wrist and hand and getting momentum from your legs, so muscle doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.

every NBA player lifts weights :dizzy if they don't they won't last very long in the league. they don't bulk up like football players just because agility and jumping are such premiums in basketball, but NBA players hit the weight room just like any other pro athlete.

doing it right before shooting

like Amare did those pushups and then went to the free throw line

go and make 10 pushups and then shoot the basketball and you are going to see how it goes ;)

johngateswhiteley
05-16-2007, 10:46 AM

go and make 10 pushups and then shoot the basketball and you are going to see how it goes ;)

do you even know what you are saying?

monosylab1k
05-16-2007, 10:48 AM

yeah, maybe. i don't think 10 pushups will make much of a difference to an NBA player tho.

NBA Junkie
05-16-2007, 10:53 AM
If the league really wanted to send a message, they could have still suspended Horry for a game, but not have Diaw and Stoudemire serve theirs until the first game of the Suns 2007-08 season.

At least then the league still enforces their shaky rule without penalizing the Suns for Horry's actions.

bulletedge
05-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Spurs 2007 title = * :lol

Extra Stout
05-16-2007, 11:14 AM
If the league really wanted to send a message, they could have still suspended Horry for a game, but not have Diaw and Stoudemire serve theirs until the first game of the Suns 2007-08 season.

At least then the league still enforces their shaky rule without penalizing the Suns for Horry's actions.
Unfortunately, the rule specifically states that players must be suspended starting with their team's next game.

There is no wiggle room. The lack of discretion in enforcement is the fatal flaw of the rule.

ratm1221
05-16-2007, 11:15 AM
What happened to basketball being about the fans. This is gotten ridiculous. They shouldn't be able to suspend a player in the playoffs unless they doing something very serious. This was a good series and I wanted to see an even matchup. Now it's ruined. This is bad for both the Spurs AND the Suns. For the Suns because they will be at a giant disadvantage for game 5 and for the Spurs because when they win, and I still know they will even before and after this incident, it will bother them mentally going into the next rounds knowing they didn't beat a team full force. What a dissapointing playoffs. First the Mavs exiting the first round and now all the drama. I just want to see some straight up basketball without all the bullshit that comes with it.

NBA Junkie
05-16-2007, 11:21 AM
What happened to basketball being about the fans. This is gotten ridiculous... I just want to see some straight up basketball without all the bullshit that comes with it.

And, Stern wonders why casual fans are so turned off by the sport.

Well put!

ShackO
05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Eat your twinkies and stfu fat ass emo.

lol............. Same type of sportsmanship as whorry & dirty bowen.........:rolleyes

Stick to what you do best kissing ass over in the political forum.......... :king