PDA

View Full Version : Choking aside, are the Mavs really contenders?

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-15-2007, 07:42 PM
assume that they werent to choke every year, do you Spurs fans really think Dallas has the talent alone to win it all?

im starting to think not

Amarelooms
05-15-2007, 07:51 PM
assume that they werent to choke every year, do you Spurs fans really think Dallas has the talent alone to win it all?

im starting to think not

STFU moron and stop making posts in my forum :elephant

confined
05-15-2007, 07:59 PM
they had the most talented team 2 years in a row..its just a mental block that creates the problem

ChumpDumper
05-15-2007, 08:32 PM
How can one put aside choking?

Sweetey
05-15-2007, 09:04 PM

im starting to think not
If jackass Cuban sells the team, like he threatened to do last summer, the Mavs will win the championship next year. Cuban :devil is a sorry-assed piece of dog crap who has pissed off the wrong person !!! And he will NEVER have an NBA Championship Team. I don't care how much money he has or how much he cries --- once you sell your soul to the devil -- you NEVER get it back !!

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 10:05 PM
they had the most talented team 2 years in a row..its just a mental block that creates the problem
Actually I think the suns do. The mavs just seem out of sorts sometimes. Unfortunately this year they got out of sorts in the playoffs.

Johnny RIngo
05-15-2007, 10:11 PM
The Mavs are mentally weak. When your leader give up after Game 4 the other players aren't going to be brimming with confidence. Dirk needs to grow a pair of balls and stop playing like bitch.

Pistons < Spurs
05-15-2007, 10:16 PM
The Mavs are mentally weak. .
That's the problem right there. They have loads of pure basketball talent. But they don't have a leader. They don't have someone that can pull it out in the 4th qtr. Stack IMO is the only player on the team mentally prepared to win a big game. Dirk allows the pressure to get to him.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 10:22 PM
That's the problem right there. They have loads of pure basketball talent. But they don't have a leader. They don't have someone that can pull it out in the 4th qtr. Stack IMO is the only player on the team mentally prepared to win a big game. Dirk allows the pressure to get to him.
Stackhouse was horrible in that series with the exception of game 6. Howard was the only one showing up. Dallas just didn't have a good offensive flow. Everything looked forced. The ball movement was poor. Not enough slashing to the hoop and posting up.

Fillmoe
05-15-2007, 10:23 PM
contenders? i dont think i can force myself to call a choking ass first round exit of a team.... a contender.......

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 10:24 PM
contenders? i dont think i can force myself to call a choking ass first round exit of a team.... a contender.......
They got to the finals the year before. They just met the wrong team in first round. Baron Davis and D. Wade are the type of players that bother the mavs. Power guards.

Pistons < Spurs
05-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Stackhouse was horrible in that series with the exception of game 6. Howard was the only one showing up. Dallas just didn't have a good offensive flow. Everything looked forced. The ball movement was poor. Not enough slashing to the hoop and posting up.
but you're talking about #'s. Stats and production. The mental toughness to win or get past a loss isn't necessarily about #'s. You need those mentally strong leaders in the locker room and in the huddle. The other players follow that example. And it's obvious to see that Dirk allows things to get to him. The other players see that and act alike.

Howard is a nice player, but he needs to age more to become a leader....and I don't know how much of a leadership role he can really take as long as Dirk is there.

mavsfan1000
05-15-2007, 10:37 PM
but you're talking about #'s. Stats and production. The mental toughness to win or get past a loss isn't necessarily about #'s. You need those mentally strong leaders in the locker room and in the huddle. The other players follow that example. And it's obvious to see that Dirk allows things to get to him. The other players see that and act alike.

Howard is a nice player, but he needs to age more to become a leader....and I don't know how much of a leadership role he can really take as long as Dirk is there.
I don't care how good of a leader you are if the team is not making shots. Dallas just didn't make shots. Dirk, Terry, and Stackhouse being the main reasons that they struggled. They also refused to attack the Warriors interior. Because of that they deserved to lose. Maybe a leader could've made the difference in how the mavs attack. Shouldn't Avery be the leader for this?

pking
05-16-2007, 07:38 AM
I think the majority of people who talk about how great Stackhouse is, don't watch a ton of Mavs games. Dude is selfish 85% of the time, thinks he's still got in the tank more than he does, is worse about thinking he got fouled on every play than anyone else on the team and he turns the fucking ball over like crazy.

Don't hate the guy, he's got his good games and I appreciate his aggressiveness. But you can almost always count on it -- if Stack has a big game, if he's trying to do more than everybody else out there --- we're losing. I don't care how much AJ worships his ass.

Pistons < Spurs
05-16-2007, 08:50 AM
I think the majority of people who talk about how great Stackhouse is, don't watch a ton of Mavs games. Dude is selfish 85% of the time, thinks he's still got in the tank more than he does, is worse about thinking he got fouled on every play than anyone else on the team and he turns the fucking ball over like crazy.

Don't hate the guy, he's got his good games and I appreciate his aggressiveness. But you can almost always count on it -- if Stack has a big game, if he's trying to do more than everybody else out there --- we're losing. I don't care how much AJ worships his ass.
Oh trust me I know all about Stack....I used to throw shit at my TV every game when he played for Detroit. But simply put, he's the only guy on that squad w/ a backbone. He caries a chip on his shoulder. He don't take no shit. The rest of the guys ...while skilled, are soft.

ratm1221
05-16-2007, 12:11 PM
How can one put aside choking?

I'll be sure to ask your mom. :p:

bulletedge
05-16-2007, 12:22 PM
The Mavs are not title contenders with the present roster.

Virtually zero inside presence offensively = no title.

Shank
05-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Yes.

Of all the teams remaining in the playoffs, how many others have an inside presence? I can name 2 in PHX and SA and the Mavs have shown they can hang with both (might give you Utah/Boozer with the 3rd).

bulletedge
05-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Yes.

Of all the teams remaining in the playoffs, how many others have an inside presence? I can name 2 in PHX and SA and the Mavs have shown they can hang with both (might give you Utah/Boozer with the 3rd).

If Dallas had an inside presence they would still be in the playoffs. And you DID name three other teams with an inside presence that ARE still in the playoffs.

I am just tired of watching Dirk (at 7 feet tall) get shut down by 6-5 and 6-7 guys because he lacks a post game. With his touch it amazes me that he has never developed a jump hook- it would be virtually unblockable.

Damp is a lost cause offensively because of his stone hands.

And I am really tired of watching Diop (also 7 feet tall) grab offensive rebounds within 3-4 feet of the hoop and turn away from the basket looking for someone to pass it to. He has pretty good hands- he should be able to develop something of a low post game.

GS and their zone brutally exposed Dallas' biggest weakness- no offense in the middle.

monosylab1k
05-16-2007, 01:27 PM
If Dallas had an inside presence they would still be in the playoffs. And you DID name three other teams with an inside presence that ARE still in the playoffs.

I am just tired of watching Dirk (at 7 feet tall) get shut down by 6-5 and 6-7 guys because he lacks a post game. With his touch it amazes me that he has never developed a jump hook- it would be virtually unblockable.

Damp is a lost cause offensively because of his stone hands.

And I am really tired of watching Diop (also 7 feet tall) grab offensive rebounds within 3-4 feet of the hoop and turn away from the basket looking for someone to pass it to. He has pretty good hands- he should be able to develop something of a low post game.

GS and their zone brutally exposed Dallas' biggest weakness- no offense in the middle.

Diop has shown plenty of times over the course of this season that he has some offensive skills - he just doesn't have any confidence in his offensive game whatsoever. I don't know if that's cuz of the coaching staff or what, but I think that if Diop learns a few post moves and is encouraged to be a lot more aggressive on offense, he could give us anywhere in the 8-12 points a game range.

Diop's got a HELL of a lot more offensive skills than Dampier, but again, Damp is Avery's little pet project, and Diop is never far from the dog house, so who knows if he'll ever give Diop a chance to develop those skills.

Islymore
05-16-2007, 01:38 PM
i think Diop has great potential... every once in a while, he gets some offense goin and it makes a big difference, i still think he lacks confidence too @ MONO... and I wonder if that trails back to AJ just like i wonder about Harris...

edit: and yes, I do think they are contenders... minus one factor (the low post scorer)

clambake
05-16-2007, 02:25 PM
The mavs are awesome regular season contenders.

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-16-2007, 05:44 PM
The Mavs are not title contenders with the present roster.

Virtually zero inside presence offensively = no title.

thats really the answer i was looking for. everyone knows that the Mavs are not mentally tough to win yet.

talentwise i dont think they can compete with the game's elite

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Diop's got a HELL of a lot more offensive skills than Dampier, but again, Damp is Avery's little pet project, and Diop is never far from the dog house, so who knows if he'll ever give Diop a chance to develop those skills.

what on earth has happened to Damp the last few years. i remember the very first game we got him he got 21 and 13 vs Sacramento and i thought hell yea we finally got a big man!

now look at him :depressed

mardigan
05-16-2007, 05:50 PM
They should be one of the top teams again next year, so I dont see why they wouldnt be considered contenders

Diesel
05-16-2007, 06:49 PM
The Mavs are considered. They just got unlucky because they ended up playing quite possibly the team that matches up the best with them in the entire league.

Budkin
05-16-2007, 09:01 PM
As much as I loved seeing them choke, yes they are still contenders.

Spurs>mavs
05-17-2007, 06:55 AM
i hate to say this, but Yeah there still contenders.

MajorMike
05-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Actually I think the suns do. The mavs just seem out of sorts sometimes. Unfortunately this year they got out of sorts in the playoffs.

The Suns may have the most talented starting 5/6... but they have a big zero after that. Mavs and Spurs bench both HIGHLY superior to Suns.

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Yes.

Boozer definitely counts.

and Detroit has Sheed and Webber. so thats four.

Ilgauskaz and Moore dont count :lol

Shank
05-17-2007, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't count Detroit in that mix. Their "inside presence" got them something like 12 points in the paint the other night.

monosylab1k
05-17-2007, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't count Detroit in that mix. Their "inside presence" got them something like 12 points in the paint the other night.

That's still the biggest mystery ever - why a guy like Rasheed Wallace who is an absolute beast in the post keeps playing on the perimeter and jacking up three pointers that almost never go in.

Bruno
05-17-2007, 12:28 PM
IMO, Mavs aren't really contenders.

Warriors were maybe a horrible matchup and Davis was playing great but you had to do something when you lost in the first round against a team that has won 25 less games in teh regular season.
In 06, Kings were one of the hottest team in the league, a horrible matchup for Spurs and Wells was playing great but Spurs won the serie in 6.

Mavs should do something this offseason, it will be really difficult for them to start a new season with the same team after such a loss. The bad news for them is that they don't have good trading assets.

baseline bum
05-18-2007, 12:51 AM
What Dallas needs is a proven winner or two to motivate them and teach them to win. Someone to do to Dirk what Mario Elie did to Duncan and Robinson.