PDA

View Full Version : So who will Phoenix trot out there tomorrow?

Kori Ellis
05-15-2007, 07:46 PM
KThomas
Marion
JJones
Bell
Nash

with Barbosa being the only guy coming off the bench??

Or start Barbosa instead of JJ?

Who else do they have on the bench to back up the bigs? Just Pat Burke and Sean Marks?

Kori Ellis
05-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Oh I forgot about Jalen Rose's existence. So I guess he'll get some time - but that doesn't help the bigs.

gtownspur
05-15-2007, 07:48 PM
whose going to hip check parker.

That's the milllion dollar q.

Kori Ellis
whose going to hip check parker.

That's the milllion dollar q.

Pat Burke :)

jcrod
I think he goes small and goes with Barb and plays everybody almost the whole game, with JJ providing spot minutes.

Parker has contained Bard so far, but i think he's due.

beirmeistr
05-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Pat Burke :)
If so, Burke will dislocate his hip because he will miss the elusive Frenchman.

Manu20
05-15-2007, 08:00 PM
I have being wondering who the spurs are going to activate.

1)White
2)Butler
3)Ely

Does it matter?

L.I.T
05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Goes small. But I think he ends up playing Barbosa off the bench, no Barbosa means practically no bench to speak of. If he can get by with JJ in the starting lineup to run with...but what about that guy they signed in the off-season? Marcus Banks? Is he alive?

mullet
05-15-2007, 08:04 PM
i say sean marks

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I can't imagine that Phoenix will do anything other than go small. I could see spot minutes for guys like Rose or Banks, but I'd guess that the 6 guys who've been playing will all play monster minutes.

OldDirtMcGirt
05-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Goes small. But I think he ends up playing Barbosa off the bench, no Barbosa means practically no bench to speak of. If he can get by with JJ in the starting lineup to run with...but what about that guy they signed in the off-season? Marcus Banks? Is he alive?

He played a little bit in the regular season, and could probably help out on Parker. I'd expect Burke to get some minutes, he played when Kurt was injured during the season.

The guy I expect to step up is Jalen Rose. I could see him playing for 20+ minutes.

mardigan
05-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Sean Marks will be hitting j's all over us

ponky
05-15-2007, 08:07 PM
the same lineup that beat the spurs last season in phoenix without amare and barbosa...except of course, sub barbosa for diaw...play kurt thomas at least 30 min.

ChumpDumper
05-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I expect D'asani to roll over if things look bad early, and Nash to perform brilliantly in spite of it until he's pulled.

Nashfan
05-15-2007, 08:09 PM
the same lineup that beat the spurs last season in phoenix without amare and barbosa...except of course, sub barbosa for diaw...play kurt thomas at least 30 min.
:tu

Budkin
05-15-2007, 08:10 PM
If we can't win Game 5 under these conditions, we don't deserve to win the series.

dnull888
05-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Burke's one of the more expendable enforcers. I'd expect to see him for at least 5 minutes before he gets ejected.

Budkin
05-15-2007, 08:11 PM

A healthy Tim Duncan should be able to have his way inside.

Despot
05-15-2007, 08:11 PM
The Spurs probably need to let the Suns be the ones to come out all emotional. At least until they get a feel for how the game is going to be called. Let the Suns rack up the fouls.

L.I.T
05-15-2007, 08:12 PM
He played a little bit in the regular season, and could probably help out on Parker. I'd expect Burke to get some minutes, he played when Kurt was injured during the season.

The guy I expect to step up is Jalen Rose. I could see him playing for 20+ minutes.

Jalen Rose should get some run and be effective. But, I wonder if he can handle the speed and style of the Suns, the last team he played for was the Knicks right?

Well anyway, he's a smart basketball player, so I could see him making an impact on the offensive end. The only problem is, if he plays 20+ minutes he's going to be abused on the defensive end. He's never been known as a great defender, and the likelihood is he'll be playing a forward position. They'll probably try and hide him on Bowen or whoever is playing the center positions (Oberto or Elson).

Kori Ellis
05-15-2007, 08:13 PM

Well that's not a similar lineup (exchanging Diaw and Barbosa). Last season when they had Diaw that was still someone in the interior. Barbosa isn't a post player.

Hopefully Pop doesn't try to "match their small lineup" as always and just pounds the hell out of them inside with the bigs instead.

mardigan
05-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Except that team had Tim Thomas and Eddie House who were both good contributors

ponky
05-15-2007, 08:14 PM
A healthy Tim Duncan should be able to have his way inside.

well, i have this own weird theory about tomorrow night's game with regards to the officiating but we'll see.

anyway, marion will be fed the ball often and accurately under the post and we know bowen can't guard in the paint, not worried about a healthy duncan...no need to bring health into it, he had better numbers last post-season than this season despite his health

exstatic
05-15-2007, 08:15 PM
This is what comes of playing a 7.5 man rotation over an 82 game season. You don't have a sub ready for spot rotation minutes when you need them.

Shit, Ely played more minutes off the IL than some of their active roster players.

Kori Ellis
05-15-2007, 08:16 PM
anyway, marion will be fed the ball often and accurately under the post and we know bowen can't guard in the paint, not worried about a healthy duncan...no need to bring health into it, he had better numbers last post-season than this season despite his health

Did you watch the 2005 playoffs when Bowen guarded Marion the whole time and owned him? Marion was playing the 4 then too.

ponky
05-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Except that team had Tim Thomas and Eddie House who were both good contributors

ummm, no tim thomas in that game. eddie house?!?!?! dude, played 15 minutes and was 0-4 with one rebound

exstatic
05-15-2007, 08:19 PM
well, i have this own weird theory about tomorrow night's game with regards to the officiating but we'll see.

Marion won't be able to operate in the post with Duncan lurking. No Amare. Remember? Marion in the paint doesn't particularly scare me anyway. We play the shooters and contest Nash and Amare in the paint, usually. Just sub Marion's for Amare's as the two pointers we're willing to give up.

Dave McNulla
05-15-2007, 08:21 PM
marks will be there if thomas and marion get into foul trouble.

i think they bring in rose. i don't think he can play that many minutes, but they'll probably try him for some bursts. he can get hot outside, he can slash (well, maybe or maybe he's too old). his defense is terrible. he'll cover bruce bowen when he can, and stays home.

barbosa is going to have to play over 40 minutes. he played 48 in utah in november, so he can do it.

james jones gets some minutes. everybody else stays on the bench unless they're needed because of foul trouble.

shelshor
05-15-2007, 08:21 PM
I have being wondering who the spurs are going to activate.

1)White
2)Butler
3)Ely

Does it matter?
I'd like to see if Ely can repeat his "screen" on Madsen in the last TPup game on Bell

ponky
05-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Did you watch the 2005 playoffs when Bowen guarded Marion the whole time and owned him? Marion was playing the 4 then too.

imo, i didn't think that team was as good as this suns team. barbosa was a rookie, no playing time, joe johnson was just coming back from injury, nash was in his first year back with the suns. marion has a tendency to shine when amare is not playing, i don't think bowen, three years later, at nearly 36, is going to be quite as effective,a s great a defender as he is. please understand though, i'm trying to pull as much positive as i can for the suns seeing as how they just got fucked over by the league (yes, the rule IS stupid)

Xylus
05-15-2007, 08:26 PM
D'Antoni has to put in his most desperate/best starting lineup now that Stoudemire and Diaw are out.

Nash
Barbosa
Bell
Marion
Thomas

With James Jones, Marcus Banks, maybe Jalen Rose and Pat Burke coming off the bench. Each starter is going to log heavy minutes (40 or more) apart from Thomas, who will play a few minutes less than Duncan.

Throw the best small ball lineup possible out there and hope for the best. Everyone is going to have to step up in order to win...

I think Nash is going to take 10 more shots than everyone else. Wouldn't be surprised if he scored 40 or more.

Supergirl
05-15-2007, 08:26 PM
The Spurs can't get too cocky or complacent about this game. Wounded teams find ways to rally, and the Spurs need to just come in, play their game, forget about the calls, forget about what's happened, and win the next 2 games. The Suns are capable of winning without Amare and Diaw if the Spurs let all this get to them, and the Spurs are capable are winning even with the Suns' full roster. That's all that matters.

Kori Ellis
05-15-2007, 08:27 PM
imo, i didn't think that team was as good as this suns team. barbosa was a rookie, no playing time, joe johnson was just coming back from injury, nash was in his first year back with the suns. marion has a tendency to shine when amare is not playing, i don't think bowen, three years later, at nearly 36, is going to be quite as effective,a s great a defender as he is. please understand though, i'm trying to pull as much positive as i can for the suns seeing as how they just got fucked over by the league (yes, the rule IS stupid)

Well Bowen won't start the game guarding Marion anyway. I'd imagine Duncan will start out guarding Marion. But Bowen has always done an awesome job on Marion throughout the years, whether Marion is playing the 3 or the 4.

And BTW, the 2005 playoffs were only 2 years ago :)

exstatic
05-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I think Mike Finley operates in the post more effectively than Marion. I'd expect to see that, too, if the Suns play as small as everyone says they will.

tlongII
05-15-2007, 08:30 PM
If we can't win Game 5 under these conditions, we don't deserve to win the series.

You don't deserve to win this series regardless.

mardigan
05-15-2007, 08:33 PM
And BTW, the 2005 playoffs were only 2 years ago :)
:lol
That 05 team also had Q who was a great shooter and decent defender, and Jimmy Jackson, who played his last good year that year. That Suns team was damn good, although nothing can replace what Amare gives them

ploto
05-15-2007, 09:04 PM
The other question is who will the Spurs start? Will they go with Oberto? Because with that line-up, you have to have Oberto and Tim guard someone. If you want Bowen on Marion- you putting Oberto on whom?

While I completely understand the move of Oberto to the starting line-up it destroyed the idea of playing Manu with Oberto. Might Pop start the small line-up so Oberto can come in for Duncan? Do you really want to see Elson and Bonner together on the floor?

timvp
05-15-2007, 09:05 PM
The other question is who will the Spurs start? Will they go with Oberto? Because with that line-up, you have to have Oberto and Tim guard someone. If you want Bowen on Marion- you putting Oberto on whom?

Uh, Kurt Thomas.

ChumpDumper
05-15-2007, 09:06 PM
They'll start Oberto and go small if they get their asses kicked.

Kori Ellis

I think Oberto and Tim will guard KThomas and Marion. I don't think Bowen will start on Marion.

The_Worlds_finest
Sean Marks Will Lead The Suns To The Promise Land!

ploto
05-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Uh, Kurt Thomas.
And Tim covers whom??

GrandeDavid
05-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Well that's not a similar lineup (exchanging Diaw and Barbosa). Last season when they had Diaw that was still someone in the interior. Barbosa isn't a post player.

Hopefully Pop doesn't try to "match their small lineup" as always and just pounds the hell out of them inside with the bigs instead.

If he does, I'm posting the gate access to the neighborhood he lives in here. :p:

timvp
05-15-2007, 09:09 PM
And Tim covers whom??

Oberto and Duncan have both guarded Marion for stretches in the series. If James Jones is on the floor, you can put Oberto or Duncan on him until he hits a shot.

The Suns will still be Nash and a bunch of guys looking to score off of Nash. Not much changes for the Suns other than the names of the players on the court.

Budkin
05-15-2007, 09:45 PM

We don't deserve it because Amare and Diaw broke the rules?

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
One thing seems certain at this point, for those who are interested in NBA officiating: Bennett Salvatore will not be calling Game 5, since he's calling tonight's game in Utah. I would, though, expect to see at least two of Dick Bavetta, Bernie Fryer, Mike Callahan and/or Ron Garretson.

violentkitten
05-15-2007, 09:59 PM
We don't deserve it because Amare and Diaw broke the rules?

yeah, wtf? i know i won't care about this shit if the spurs go on to win the title. again.

majinkoola
05-15-2007, 10:00 PM
:lol
That 05 team also had Q who was a great shooter and decent defender, and Jimmy Jackson, who played his last good year that year. That Suns team was damn good, although nothing can replace what Amare gives them

Wow you didn't watch that Suns team very much. Q was not a decent defender, he was bad. And his shot was off in the playoffs. Jim Jackson's impact was negligible. They started off 31-4 with Casey Jacobsen as their sixth man.

bonesinaz
05-15-2007, 10:11 PM
This is what comes of playing a 7.5 man rotation over an 82 game season. You don't have a sub ready for spot rotation minutes when you need them.

Shit, Ely played more minutes off the IL than some of their active roster players.

You are so right. That is why Amare and Diaw get the stupid award for going on the floor.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2007, 10:16 PM
One thing seems certain at this point, for those who are interested in NBA officiating: Bennett Salvatore will not be calling Game 5, since he's calling tonight's game in Utah. I would, though, expect to see at least two of Dick Bavetta, Bernie Fryer, Mike Callahan and/or Ron Garretson.

I've been thinking since this series started that Bavetta would show up for game 5 in Phoenix, with the league thinking it would possibly be 3-1 in someone's favor at that point.

2-2, I don't know which way Bavetta would go under normal circumstances, but he'll probably have marching orders to call some cheap ones on Tim early to balance things out.

For sure one of Garretson and Bernie will be there, dunno who the third will be.

T Park
05-15-2007, 10:22 PM
4 down, and have Finley and Parker, diving to the basket for easy uncontested layups.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Eh, spread the floor out and run some pick and roll. Who is going to block shots for Phoenix?

Small ball lets Phoenix double down on Duncan, who the refs will probably be letting Phoenix beat the shit out of anyways.

You ride Duncan with 4down the whole game, he doesn't have any gas left at the end of the game when you need him.

CubanMustGo
05-15-2007, 10:45 PM

Talk to us if you ever sniff the playoffs again you bitter fart. Why the hell do you post here anyway?

Despot
05-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Man, I really wish we had Rasho right now...

T Park
05-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Nice sarcasm Despot :tu

kyle macy
05-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Expect to see guys that even Suns fans don't know what to expect from. D'Antoni has kept his played so few guys during the regular season that I don't know what Jalen Rose or Eric Piatkowski. Expect to see a guy named Burke, he is a "fan favorite" whose name my drunken ass can't remember right now. He is a big dude with nice size who stands on the three point line and picks up three pointers in garbage time. I don't even know if he is capable of posting anyone up or playing defense down low. You guys know more about Sean Marks than I do and we have some point guard who wears a headband and turns the ball over every 2 trips down the floor....but he was supposed to be a defensive stopper! Bottom line, unless Nash, Marion, Bell, and Barbosa play out of their minds, the Spurs should win easily. And by the way, congratulations to the Spurs regardless, I have said before, your team is so well disciplined and balanced, I believe both the Suns and Spurs deserve more than a loss in the semi finals. Rarely have the Suns pick and rolls been handled as effectively as in this series.

BradLohaus
05-16-2007, 01:53 AM
The Suns have nothing to lose. It's the cornered rat theory: expect everything plus things you can't think of. Rose, Marks, Burke, Piatkowski, everybody's fair game. They're going to play reckless and wild, even for the Suns. They will treat this game the same way GS treated their first game against the Mavs.

Nash will shoot 30 times, if they can pry the ball away from Barbosa enough to make that happen.

I don't expect them to start Barbosa, but he will play nearly 40 anyway.

lefty
05-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Jalen Rose, a longtime Magic Johnson fan, pulls a Magic Johnson : he'll start at center, drop 42 pts, 15 boards and 7 assists

UV Ray
05-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Jalen Rose, a longtime Magic Johnson fan, pulls a Magic Johnson : he'll start at center, drop 42 pts, 15 boards and 7 assists
That ain't gonna happen...he keeps his teeth by his bed and besides he works part-time as a WalMart greeter.