PDA

View Full Version : NBA Will Not Look Into Duncan & Bowen Stepping on to the Court

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-15-2007, 11:26 PM
The thing that Jalen Rose was talking about.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/89778?source=rss&dest=STY-89778

Suns notebook: League rejects Suns’ argument
Craig Morgan, Matt Simpson, Tribune
The Suns didn’t lose Tuesday’s decision without at least making their own case. The Suns made sure that NBA decision-makers were aware that the Spurs’ Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen left the bench in Game 4 of their Western Conference playoff series when teammate Francisco Elson dunked early in the third quarter and hung on the rim, only to have the Suns’ James Jones inadvertently undercut him as he headed up court.

Elson fell to the floor.

According to the Suns, Duncan jumped off the bench and walked onto the court with Bowen following him to get him back on the bench.

The Suns hoped — without result as it turned out — this incident either would discourage the NBA from suspending Amaré Stoudemire and Boris Diaw or else would get Duncan suspended as well.

This was different, NBA vice president Stu Jackson said. Duncan “should not have been on the court,” he said. But, “There was no altercation.”

DÉJÀ VU

Jalen Rose seemed to have a premonition on what the league’s ruling would be.

Speaking about three hours before the NBA announced its suspensions, Rose recalled the time in 1998 when — playing for Indiana — “I stepped onto the floor against Michael and the Bulls.

“The action was 94 feet away and that warranted a game suspension. That may or may not bode well for this case. … At the end of the day, it’s no harm no foul to me.”

MARION’S WORTH

Shawn Marion got a taste of what it’s like to have plays run for him late in Game 4 when the Suns were running a pick-and-roll with he and Steve Nash. Marion was effective in the role, giving the Suns crucial baskets as they rallied for the win.

“It was nice to get some points and help the team,” Marion said. “I take what they give me, and that’s what it’s all about.”

Suns coach Mike D’Antoni said Marion was effective in the role because “he’s a blur” compared to Stoudemire, who usually runs the play with Nash. But D’Antoni said Marion has too many other responsibilities to expect that play to be run consistently.

“You saw how much he gave us on the defensive end. He pretty much defended everyone, and that’s Shawn,” D’Antoni said. “He’s capable of impacting the game in a lot of ways.”

NASH’S REIGN ENDS

Nash praised his close friend, Dirk Nowitzki, on winning the league MVP award:

“I’m extremely proud of him, happy for him. It’s really well deserved.

“I hope he has a chance to enjoy it regardless of their playoff outcome because he had a phenomenal year. He really deserves it.”

So was Nash disappointed that his two-year reign as MVP was officially over?

“No,” Nash said. “I feel pretty fortunate to have had any reign at all.”

GUT CHECK

Coaches are often forced to make decisions based as much on instinct as actual information.

Two keys to the Suns’ fourth-quarter comeback on Tuesday were D’Antoni’s decision to go small down the stretch and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich’s hesitance to reinsert Tim Duncan after he picked up his fifth foul.

D’Antoni’s instinct was right and the Suns won; Popovich’s was wrong and the Spurs lost. Such is life when so many decisions are based on educated guesses.

“I hate that because you might screw it up,” D’Antoni said. “My gut’s pretty good — it’s getting bigger anyway. Those are tough moments.

“We all second-guess, because when you’re doing it you think it’s the right thing to do.”

angel_luv
05-15-2007, 11:27 PM
The thing that Jalen Rose was talking about.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/st...&dest=STY-89778

Suns notebook: League rejects Suns’ argument
Craig Morgan, Matt Simpson, Tribune
The Suns didn’t lose Tuesday’s decision without at least making their own case. The Suns made sure that NBA decision-makers were aware that the Spurs’ Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen left the bench in Game 4 of their Western Conference playoff series when teammate Francisco Elson dunked early in the third quarter and hung on the rim, only to have the Suns’ James Jones inadvertently undercut him as he headed up court.

Elson fell to the floor.

According to the Suns, Duncan jumped off the bench and walked onto the court with Bowen following him to get him back on the bench.

The Suns hoped — without result as it turned out — this incident either would discourage the NBA from suspending Amaré Stoudemire and Boris Diaw or else would get Duncan suspended as well.

This was different, NBA vice president Stu Jackson said. Duncan “should not have been on the court,” he said. But, “There was no altercation.”

We got lucky there. I'm so glad!

hater
05-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Elson fell to the floor.

:lmao

where else is he gonna fall? to the ceiling :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2007, 11:39 PM

:lol

cherylsteele
05-15-2007, 11:42 PM

Nah...he'd just float in the air.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2007, 04:24 AM
Colangelo said he informed the NBA about Duncan and Bowen after Suns assistant coach Alvin Gentry brought it to his attention.

"They didn't feel it was an altercation," Colangelo said. "They hang their heads on that alone because we brought it to their attention."

dtrain
05-16-2007, 07:58 AM
It's not the only thing the league can hang their hat on, besides there not being an altercation, Tim went onto the floor before there even would have been an altercation-that is, he was on the floor in support of a big dunk, and before Elson got undercut. Players go onto the edge of the court all the time when there is a big play.

The submitting of tapes by the Suns seems to be really whiney to me. Is that something that teams do all the time. For example, do you think the Spurs have submitted tapes on anything this series?

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
05-16-2007, 09:17 AM
The USUAL reaction, when a teammate hits the floor hard, is to wander over from wherever you are and see if he's hurt. In point of fact, it's possible Diaw and/or Stoudemire reacted similarly. The difference is, there was absolutely NO scrum going on in Elson's case---the two players didn't even get in each other's faces. You can clearly see Bowen walking Timmy back towards the bench as soon as Elson gets up and dusts himself off.

AFBlue
05-16-2007, 10:02 AM
The Suns were grasping at straws for that one. That was in no way an altercation, Duncan and Bowen were still in the "vicinity" of the bench, and they impeded their own progress unlike Amare in the scrum later.

spurster
05-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Spurs are lucky that Elson was looking for a foul rather than a fight.

longrod
05-16-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm a Wolverine, but...FUCK Jalen Rose (and Steve Kerr)!

ploto
05-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Actually inside the three-point line is not in the vicinity of the bench-- the NBA said clearly that Duncan did NOT belong on the court but because there was not an actual altercation that they could not suspend him. But know for sure- had Jones gone at Elson and there been a confrontation, Duncan would have been suspended primarily because of the actions of a Suns player-- sound familiar??