PDA

View Full Version : The series is tainted now

Amuseddaysleeper
05-15-2007, 11:36 PM
unless the suns win game 5

deep down a lot of us know this is a bullshit way to potentially win a series like this

AnkleBreaker21
05-15-2007, 11:37 PM
win is win who cares

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, but it was legit when Phoenix beat us a couple of years ago with Duncan out. Where's all the bitching and moaning about that? Damn, let it go.

Xylus
win is win who cares
All Suns fans, some Spurs fans, and most of the rest of the country.

THE SIXTH MAN
gay

T Park
christ amused grow a pair.

judaspriestess
The series became tainted the moment those suns of bitches started whining about the calls not going there way.

SequSpur
05-15-2007, 11:39 PM
taint is the space on my ass.

ChumpDumper
Deep down I am disappointed that Amare and Boris can't control themselves. They would have had the advantage if their dumb asses had just stayed off the court.

spursfan09
Was it the Spurs fault that Stoudemire's dumbass couldn't stay on the bench? We already know he's not that smart.

gameFACE
No different than when Dirk Diggler was out in Game 5 of the '03 Spurs/Mavs series. Regardless of the reason they were missing their star. Was that series tainted?

Amuseddaysleeper

:tu

and injuries are part of the game aggie, but controversial BS suspensions shouldn't be

Xylus
Yeah, but it was legit when Phoenix beat us a couple of years ago with Duncan out. Where's all the bitching and moaning about that? Damn, let it go.
What the hell does that have to do with this series? Why would you be bitching about something that happened years ago?

I guarantee you--if Duncan and Bowen had been suspended instead of Amare and Diaw, you'd be just as upset. In fact, it would be odd if you weren't.

AnkleBreaker21
05-15-2007, 11:40 PM
christ amused grow a pair.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Phenomanul
The Suns marred the series with their off-court tactics right after Game 1. It was already 'tainted'.

Somehow Suns fans don't wish to admit this.

Extra Stout
Injuries are part of the game (cf. 2003 championship). Cheap shots aren't.

Trifecta
The reality is -- the players just play the game -- they did not make the ruling!

davi78239
Yea, I know. I kinda want them to lose tomorrow, then we win game 6 back here, and then play em game 7 when they are at full and then beat them. But a wins a win and they broke the rules, so they have to pay.

ChumpDumper
05-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Nah, rules are rules. I'm upset that Horry was suspended, but Horry is responsible for it. Just like Boris and Amare are responsible for theirs.

RC's Boss
05-15-2007, 11:41 PM
What the hell does that have to do with this series? Why would you be bitching about something that happened years ago?

I guarantee you--if Duncan and Bowen had been suspended instead of Amare and Diaw, you'd be just as upset. In fact, it would be odd if you weren't.
Yep, so we expect your contempt, but at the same time we don't really give a shit :drunk

T Park
05-15-2007, 11:42 PM
but controversial BS suspensions shouldn't be

Like others said.

Im gonna use that the next time I get stopped for speeding.

"Ya know this rule is stupid, and alot of the country feels its stupid, so I think you oughtta let me go"

RC's Boss
:lmao

kyle macy

I agree, you can only beat who is in front of you. Winning this series doesn't mean squat for either team, 8 more wins after the fact are all that matters.

SequSpur
05-15-2007, 11:43 PM
tainted is not a word appropriate for this forum.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-15-2007, 11:43 PM

and injuries are part of the game aggie, but controversial BS suspensions shouldn't be
:lol How is it controversial when the rule was there all along. You're acting like they added it to the rule book last night. As much as suns fans would like to believe, the world is not against them and there is no conspiracy involved.

SilverPlayer
05-15-2007, 11:44 PM

deep down a lot of us know this is a bullshit way to potentially win a series like this

Ugh huh, because something like this has never happened in the history of the NBA, it is so unprecedented that it will forever remain a mystery as to why Amare and Diaw were suspended by the league. They never could have predicted that by STEPPING ON TO THE COURT DURING A FIGHT WOULD COST THEM A GAME....I mean its so bloody unfair.

And never has a team been able to come back from a one game suspension to a key player to go on and win the series. No team has ever lost a player and still won the series.

Xylus
05-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Nah, rules are rules. I'm upset that Horry was suspended, but Horry is responsible for it. Just like Boris and Amare are responsible for theirs.
There have been exceptions to the rule in the past, so it's not completely black-and-white. The fact is, these suspensions are a result of actions that had no effect on the "altercation." The punishment does not fit the crime at all.

They've put a black mark on a series that would otherwise be the best of the playoffs.

ChumpDumper
05-15-2007, 11:46 PM
There have been exceptions to the rule in the past, so it's not completely black-and-white.But any player leaving the bench area give control of the suspension to the league, which will decide whatever it wants using whatever criteria it chooses. Why give them that power? Show some self-control and stay in the fucking bench area.

Rules committee meetings are the time to whine about this, not the playoffs.
They've put a black mark on a series that would otherwise be the best of the playoffs.I agree. Amare and Boris were stupid.

leemajors
05-15-2007, 11:47 PM
There have been exceptions to the rule in the past, so it's not completely black-and-white. The fact is, these suspensions are a result of actions that had no effect on the "altercation." The punishment does not fit the crime at all.

They've put a black mark on a series that would otherwise be the best of the playoffs.

this year, with everything being black and white as far as player conduct, this was the only way it would happen. everyone knew it, but was hoping it wouldn't happen.

Borosai
05-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Where's the snooze button?

RC's Boss
05-15-2007, 11:48 PM

Can't speak for others, but I'm not looking for some nail biting 7 game series like last year. i prefer to sweep you out the door. Sorry, but I'm excited as heel they won't be playing.

Darkwaters
win is win who cares

I tend to agree. The rules are known by everyone. Amare chose to leave the bench. He secured his own fate pure and simple.

SequSpur
WTF? How does a tainted topic get some run in here? Geeze.

Xylus
05-15-2007, 11:49 PM
But any player leaving the bench area give control of the suspension to the league, which will decide whatever it wants using whatever criteria it chooses. Why give them that power? Show some self-control and stay in the fucking bench area.

Rules committee meetings are the time to whine about this, not the playoffs.I agree. Amare and Boris were stupid.
I agree that what Amare and Boris did wasn't smart, but that still doesn't justify the league's ruling, in my opinion.

Obstructed_View
05-15-2007, 11:49 PM
The Fucking Nba Sucks For Just Surprising Everyone With This Brand New Rule Sterns A Cock Lol

Obstructed_View
05-15-2007, 11:50 PM
I agree that what Amare and Boris did wasn't smart, but that still doesn't justify the league's ruling, in my opinion.
What ruling? They broke a zero tolerance rule. The only ruling is if they left the bench. They did. Game over.

ChumpDumper
I agree that what Amare and Boris did wasn't smart, but that still doesn't justify the league's ruling, in my opinion.So? It was the league's call. There's no vote. Everyone knows that. Even Amare and Boris.

txmed

Look, I know how big these suspensions seem right now, and how you, as a Suns fan, will never ever forget how much this hurts but, don't be delusional. Try to take a realistic perspective.

The Suns' plight won't come anywhere near sticking in the public consciousness. Two years from now, the general public and the vast majority of casual fans (representing probably better than 90% of all NBA fans) won't even really remember these suspensions. Only that the Spurs won a championship around this time.

You're giving this ordeal far too much credit.

The numbers, outside the city of Phoenix, who are going to care how the Spurs won are insignificant. We can argue whether it is some sort of testament on society but, short of cheating for your advantage (see: Barry Bonds), a win is a win.

ChumpDumper
05-15-2007, 11:51 PM
What ruling? They broke a zero tolerance rule. The only ruling is if they left the bench. They did. Game over.The only wiggle room is the definition of an altercation and bench vicinity.

But guess who decides that?

The league!

Not players or fans or columnists!

Obstructed_View
05-15-2007, 11:51 PM
There have been exceptions to the rule in the past
No there haven't. When an altercation takes place on the court the rule has been consistently enforced.

T Park
05-15-2007, 11:52 PM
:lol

Had it been Oberto and Elson, Suns fans would be lecturing us on how stupid we are on the rules, how huge of homers we are, how were not looking at it objectively.

Xylus
What ruling? They broke a zero tolerance rule. The only ruling is if they left the bench. They did. Game over.
Maybe I should have prefaced my argument by saying that the rule is complete bollocks. :p

I wouldn't be surprised to see an amendment to the rule before next season.

Amuseddaysleeper
WTF? How does a tainted topic get some run in here? Geeze.

for the record, look up timvp's posts and he also said it was tainted

but whatever, on to game 5 I suppose

Phenomanul
05-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Again,

The Suns marred the series with their off-court tactics right after Game 1. It was already 'tainted'.

Somehow Suns fans don't wish to admit this.

The Suns only brought this upon themselves... They played the refs, they willingly and deviously played the 'dirty' card, they instigated instead of simply playing the game, and ultimately their players broke a rule.

The Spurs players didn't leave the bench. The Spurs players did not gripe about the officiating in the media. They simply played. Robert was the only one to lose his cool. And he will do time for his crime.

Buddy Holly
05-15-2007, 11:53 PM

God damn kid, did you even read the rules? You're spewing such bullshit it's not funny.

The exact rule:

During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000.

Was there an altercation? Yes. Did the players who left the immediate vicinity of the bench get suspended? Yes.

It's that damn simple.

ChumpDumper
05-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Maybe I should have prefaced my argument by saying that the rule is complete bollocks. :p

I wouldn't be surprised to see an amendment to the rule before next season.I doubt it. The ambiguous parts of it seem necessary to allow for the exceptions you mentioned. Can't really get any more specific. If anything the league probably regrets not suspending GS or NJ players earlier for hard fouls.

Borosai

I commend your effort, but it's pointless. Apparently they are suffering from a case of the Amares.

Buddy Holly

It is up to ones own personal opinion on whether or not this series is tainted.

Obstructed_View

There might be an amendment to the rules, but the fact that you don't like it doesn't make it any less clear. I have a feeling that the rule would have been just fine with you if your team were benefitting from it.

Xylus
The only wiggle room is the definition of an altercation and bench vicinity.

But guess who decides that?

The league!

Not players or fans or columnists!
The President of the United States decides we should go to war in Iraq and most of the country supports his decision at the time--doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Why are we here but to discuss the actions of others?

T Park
05-15-2007, 11:55 PM

So are you gonna root for the Suns again? :rolleyes

L.I.T
05-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Obstinate.

Obstructed_View
05-15-2007, 11:56 PM
I commend your effort, but it's pointless. Apparently they are suffering from a case of the Amares.
No, they're suffering from a case of "the rules shouldn't apply to us" which is why they've been complaining about phantom physical play and biased officiating since the beginning of the series.

I don't mean all the Suns fans, by the way. Just most of them.

LilMissSPURfect
05-15-2007, 11:58 PM
The suspensions, definitely take some of the juice outta the game (or the anticipation)..
the games still must be played ...Nash and crew will come out determined and SPURS must overcome and bring back a W and end this back here at home!

Xylus
05-15-2007, 11:59 PM
I doubt it. The ambiguous parts of it seem necessary to allow for the exceptions you mentioned. Can't really get any more specific. If anything the league probably regrets not suspending GS or NJ players earlier for hard fouls.
There have been exceptions to the rule in the past that have accounted for players acting as peacemakers, players who did not escalate the altercation, etc. The league could have easily justified a non-suspension using reasons that fall under this wiggle room.

For the sake of the league and the fans, I think they should have.

Buddy Holly
05-16-2007, 12:00 AM
The Spurs are fucked anyway come tomorrow. They win and it's "Well you won with Amare and Diaw not playing." If they lose it's "Holy shit, you lost with Amare and Diaw not playing."

So seeing as how there's nothing no one can do, I will take a W. Bottomline. Won't think anything about it.

ChumpDumper
There have been exceptions to the rule in the past that have accounted for players acting as peacemakers, players who did not escalate the altercation, etc.I'd like to see a list of those exceptions.

THE SIXTH MAN

Believe me, it will be looked and at and probably revised during the off season. Just like the rule about what defines a player "upstaging" referees. I remember every one telling Spurs fans to shut up about Duncan being kicked out of the fourth quarter during the crucial game in Dallas. I remember everyone saying that it's in the rule book, what Duncan did. Some times things can play out "unfairly", but the bottom line is there's still plenty of ball to be played and move on from this.

clambake
Fresh from the league office:

This years trophy will come with a years supply of Tarnex.

Dirk will demonstrate it's proper usage.

txmed
05-16-2007, 12:01 AM
There have been exceptions to the rule in the past that have accounted for players acting as peacemakers, players who did not escalate the altercation, etc. The league could have easily justified a non-suspension using reasons that fall under this wiggle room.

Can you cite those? The only excuse I'm aware of is that Kings game where the altercation was in the tunnel and they didn't know what was going on before they left the bench.

Buddy Holly
05-16-2007, 12:01 AM

Kid, your one example is of a preseason game where the altercation was in the entrance tunnel. The exception was that the players who left the bench area didn't know who was fighting.

That's it.

What happened out there wasn't an exception, it was a usual on court pull apart altercation. Players left the bench area.

Give it the fuck up.

SequSpur
05-16-2007, 12:02 AM
man... i'm convinced...

this shit is all tainted up... :lmao

Buddy Holly
I'd like to see a list of those exceptions.

Just one. That's it. :lol

Xylus
Believe me, it will be looked and at and probably revised during the off season. Just like the rule about what defines a player "upstaging" referees. I remember every one telling Spurs fans to shut up about Duncan being kicked out of the fourth quarter during the crucial game in Dallas. I remember everyone saying that it's in the rule book, what Duncan did. Some times things can play out "unfairly", but the bottom line is there's still plenty of ball to be played and move on from this.
I can follow that line of thought. :clap

btimsah
Deep down I am disappointed that Amare and Boris can't control themselves. They would have had the advantage if their dumb asses had just stayed off the court.

What about in the 2nd quarter when Duncan left the bench?

I know you guys are playing the role of homer, but this is still b.s.

Buddy Holly
05-16-2007, 12:03 AM

There was no altercation going on. FUCK!

SequSpur

are you blind? This is a handicapped impaired forum you know.

leemajors

it's still gonna come down to a judgment call by the league. there just isn't time for anything else with a game the day after next, or even the next day.

Xylus
05-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Can you cite those? The only excuse I'm aware of is that Kings game where the altercation was in the tunnel and they didn't know what was going on before they left the bench.
I'd really rather not make the effort, but yeah, the Kings game is the incident I'm talking about. I think there was another one, too. In the Kings game, the players were pardoned because Stern said that they were "acting as peacemakers" and weren't "escalating the altercation." This Horry incident didn't take place in the tunnel, but those same reasons could be applied to Amare's situation...regardless of setting.

ChumpDumper
05-16-2007, 12:07 AM

I know you guys are playing the role of homer, but this is still b.s.Where was the altercation then?

Xylus
The fact that the Kings game took place during the preseason only strengthens my argument. If the players had been suspended for that incident, it would have had far less impact on the league than this incident. The playoffs are naturally more physical and emotional, so why pardon players during a game that doesn't matter but not in a game that matters most?

Buddy Holly
I'd really rather not make the effort, but yeah, the Kings game is the incident I'm talking about. I think there was another one, too. In the Kings game, the players were pardoned because Stern said that they were "acting as peacemakers" and weren't "escalating the altercation." This Horry incident didn't take place in the tunnel, but those same reasons could be applied to Amare's situation...regardless of setting.

They were pardoned because they didn't know who was fighting in the tunnel. they went to break whatever was going on back there.

That's why it was an exception. There has been many times that a fight/altercation broke out a players trying to be peacemakers were suspended. It's happened plently of times.

Damn, with you Suns fans it's like it jst goes in and comes out. You don't absorb.

ChumpDumper
I'd really rather not make the effortChoice.
This Horry incident didn't take place in the tunnelThanks for clearing up that issue for us.

violentkitten

off the court. unclear who was fighting. next.

SequSpur
taint forum..................................

:lmao

Xylus
05-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Where was the altercation then?
The funny thing is, if James Jones had flat-out decked Francisco Elson, Duncan and Bowen would be suspended, as well. That wouldn't be very fair.

Buddy Holly
05-16-2007, 12:08 AM
The funny thing is, if James Jones had flat-out decked Francisco Elson, Duncan and Bowen would be suspended, as well. That wouldn't be very fair.

If Duncan and Bowen stepped on the court after the altercation started, yes they'd be suspended. See, we get the rules, you fuckers don't.

ChumpDumper
05-16-2007, 12:09 AM
The funny thing is, if James Jones had flat-out decked Francisco Elson, Duncan and Bowen would be suspended, as well. That wouldn't be very fair.So you're saying there was no altercation.

Thanks again. You've made this very easy.

Xylus
05-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Damn, with you Suns fans it's like it jst goes in and comes out. You don't absorb.
Sigh. I'd have more luck discussing homosexuality with a catholic message board. :lol

On a side-note, I never said there was an altercation during the Duncan thing. No suspensions were deserved.

LilMissSPURfect
05-16-2007, 12:11 AM
suns fans are tainted

Buddy Holly
05-16-2007, 12:12 AM
No suspensions were deserved.

Personal opinion wise, no.

Rule book wise, yes.

Xylus
05-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Should be a good game tomorrow.

SequSpur
05-16-2007, 12:13 AM

nah dude, it's all tainted.

ChumpDumper
05-16-2007, 12:13 AM
On a side-note, I never said there was an altercation during the Duncan thing. No suspensions were deserved.Exactly.

easjer
05-16-2007, 12:14 AM

Yep.

And, from personal experience with both, you are right about the homosexual/Catholic thing too.

T Park
05-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Ya know.

This could be so bad, the GTG could now be tainted.

Thanks NBA :flipoff

Xylus
Exactly.
So you agree with me that no suspensions were deserved?

Good to know.

btimsah
I just wish Joey Crawford was still doing games. :p:

anotherphoenixnative
05-16-2007, 12:16 AM

The only Spurs fan with the balls to admit that the Suns could beat the Spurs, and still may, if it wasn't for the dirty play of your piece of shit Spurs team. Low lifes, bottom feeders and yellow-bellied trash is all your team is made of. Soak it up, losers.

ChumpDumper
05-16-2007, 12:16 AM
So you agree with me that no suspensions were deserved?When no altercation occurs, like you said.

And it is good to know.

ChumpDumper
05-16-2007, 12:17 AM
The only Spurs fan with the balls to admit that the Suns could beat the Spurs, and still may, if it wasn't for the dirty play of your piece of shit Spurs team. Low lifes, bottom feeders and yellow-bellied trash is all your team is made of. Soak it up, losers.Can we soak it up when we win too?

Xylus
05-16-2007, 12:18 AM
And it is good to know.
Yes.

It is.

Glad we agree about the no altercations thing.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-16-2007, 12:19 AM
The only Spurs fan with the balls to admit that the Suns could beat the Spurs, and still may, if it wasn't for the dirty play of your piece of shit Spurs team. Low lifes, bottom feeders and yellow-bellied trash is all your team is made of. Soak it up, losers.

the suns could beat the spurs, but even if amare an diaw weren't suspended there still is no guarantee the suns were a lock to win the series after game 4.

I just wanted our best to go up against the suns best with no excuses

Amuseddaysleeper
Can we soak it up when we win too?

ChumpDumper
Yes.

It is.

Glad we agree about the no altercations thing.To bad that's up for the league to decide.

I'm sure we can all agree this could be avoided by the players staying near the bench so they don't give the league the option to suspend them.

anotherphoenixnative
Can we soak it up when we win too?

Eat a dick you pussy asshole.

SequSpur
05-16-2007, 12:20 AM
So when that space gets violated, does that mean tainted? or taintered? I am just trying to be clear on the tainted rule.

ChumpDumper
Eat a dick you pussy asshole.Stay classy, sassy.

word

Speaking of taint(ed) ....

THE SIXTH MAN
05-16-2007, 12:22 AM
:lol Bitter much?

violentkitten

http://www.ski-blog.com/images/kobe-raja.jpg

eh, that's your team.

SequSpur

When did this become the AOL teen forum?

Strike
05-16-2007, 12:24 AM
http://dogtoe.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/arguing_on_the_internet.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan

What's controversial about it? It's in the fucking rulebook you puss.

Injuries are part of the game (cf. 2003 championship). Cheap shots aren't.

But leaving the bench during an altercation and getting suspended for it are (Knicks-Heat, 1997).

violentkitten
seriously. horry bumps a guy out of bounds. that doesn't even register on the "nasty" scale of playoff fouls. it's obvious why sun fan is so eager to label another team as a bunch of 'dirty losers'...

anotherphoenixnative
05-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Stay classy, sassy.

Classy, is that how the Spurs play, numbnuts? You're bottom-feeding trash, period. The Spurs are a bunch of pussies, just like you. You know we can beat them, should our entire fucking team be allowed to play. It's OK, white-trash, we'll beat you with the bench. So, ChumpDumper, go and fuck yourself. And don't ever come to Phoenix.

SequSpur
05-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Classy, is that how the Spurs play, numbnuts? You're bottom-feeding trash, period. The Spurs are a bunch of pussies, just like you. You know we can beat them, should our entire fucking team be allowed to play. It's OK, white-trash, we'll beat you with the bench. So, ChumpDumper, go and fuck yourself. And don't ever come to Phoenix.

You need Jesus.

Strike
05-16-2007, 12:26 AM
That's why the series is tied, right?

violentkitten
05-16-2007, 12:27 AM

you can't make this shit up. :lol

Xylus
You need Jesus.
Don't see how a dead guy with hippy hair is going to help him.

Aggie Hoopsfan

When are these exceptions you speak of?

The only time players left the bench and were not suspended was when a couple of guys thought it was a fan jumping a player.

Completely different scenario.

Xylus
Should be a good game.

anotherphoenixnative
05-16-2007, 12:28 AM
You need Jesus.

You need to fuck yourself, jerkoff.

judaspriestess
05-16-2007, 12:29 AM

white trash? :lol don't ever come to phoenix, why? cause you're wanna be gang banger ass will pull out a gun on him? thats how you resolve minor issues in life isn't it.

how fucking stupid are phoenix suns of bitches fans really?

Strike
Suns Fan.... :lmao

violentkitten

yeah, and don't be bringing no jesus to phoenix!

easjer

Why all the hatred?

Unreal.

I'm so tired of all the fucking trolls.

Xylus, please know I don't include you in that.

Obstructed_View
Should be a good game.
Only if the Suns win. If the Spurs win we get to listen to you pantywaists giving the excuses why the rest of the world is trying to rob you of your birthright.

T Park
05-16-2007, 12:30 AM
and to think I rooted for Phoenix in the conference finals last year.

Fuck this shit.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-16-2007, 12:30 AM
:lol Cute.

Xylus
05-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Xylus, please know I don't include you in that.
I appreciate that. I don't understand why we can't just all get along. :depressed

The_Worlds_finest
05-16-2007, 12:31 AM
It is what it is

Xylus
05-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Only if the Suns win. If the Spurs win we get to listen to you pantywaists giving the excuses why the rest of the world is trying to rob you of your birthright.
What does it matter what Suns fans say if the Spurs are advancing to the WCF? I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

Budkin
05-16-2007, 12:33 AM
T'aint that a bitch!!!

txmed
05-16-2007, 12:36 AM
http://frommedskool.com/2007/05/15/spurs-suns-game-4/ :

Look, the NBA has an absolute zero tolerance policy when it comes to leaving the bench (http://tinyurl.com/35ywlu) during a scruffle. There is no subjectivity. There is no question. Whether it should have such a strict policy or not is an independent question. But the fact is, the Suns owner and Coach D'Antoni and Steve Nash and every Suns fan had to know that Stoudemire and Diaw weren't going to be playing Game 5.

End...of...story.

There are no citable examples to the contrary.

Personally, I would've liked to have seen no suspensions. True, I already have trouble with Stu Jackson's implementation of subjective rules. But I'll take my chances and say that the leave the bench rule needs a human touch to it.

Since I agree the rule needs changing, I can feel for the argument that when a flaw is known it should be fixed immediately. Which must be what the fans and pundits in Phoenix are thinking right now. The flaw in this case being a lack of common sense it would seem.

The problem is in altering rules during their application you often sacrifice fairness. The argument isn't whether the league forgoing suspensions for Amare and Boris would've been unfair (it would've been), but rather if such would've been worth it.

True, in a way this is fairness in everyone getting screwed over equally. Arguments for Stoudemire and Diaw's punishment based on those who suffered before them are kind've smiteful. But how can you get away from it?

Every single team knew, before the first tip off of this season, the rules they were playing under. They knew that the leave the bench rule was probably the least flexible of all the on court rules. How can you change that when the other 29 teams have abided by it or suffered under it for at least 82 games?

Until it gives itself up to following in the WWF's footsteps the league's primary, understood, inherent sales pitch is one of competition on an even playing field.

No, it isn't perfect. The NBA doesn't live up to that ideal of 'fairness' all the time but its pursuit of that ideal, even when it generates heartless consequences as in this case, is the right one. David Stern doesn't morph into Vince McMahon if an exception is made for Stoudemire and Diaw but you do approach that dreaded 'slippery slope.'

As such, there was almost no chance Stoudemire and Diaw could escape. Granting Stoudemire and Diaw a pass would've been the reasonable thing, but it wouldn't have been the fair one.

If the Suns' owner or their fans were expecting the rule, having never shown compassion before, to be magically endued with that level of reasonableness just for them; if they were willing to dismiss as trivial the cost in fairness of excusing Amare and Diaw...well, I guess they can just stay delusional and view the whole thing as yet another way the NBA is screwing them over.

The best we can hope for is a re imagining of the leave the bench rule before next season starts. That way there's fairness in how it is administered.

SpursIndonesia
05-16-2007, 12:37 AM
Horry made a mistake in loosing his cool, committed the foul, & now had to pay the penalty. A thuggish act nonetheless, and penalized accordingly.

OTOH, the sanction against Amare & Boris is right on the money regarded the rule that need to be upheld. So no taint, no shame. Commit the crime, pay the consequence, as simple as that.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2007, 12:40 AM
What does it matter what Suns fans say if the Spurs are advancing to the WCF? I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.
If I were you I would be trying to get the NBA to adopt a different set of rules for my team to follow, because the regular rules aren't good enough. I'd also be thinking of excuses in case my team loses, because that's always a classy move.

I'm so glad I'm not you.

Xylus
05-16-2007, 12:53 AM
If I were you I would be trying to get the NBA to adopt a different set of rules for my team to follow, because the regular rules aren't good enough. I'd also be thinking of excuses in case my team loses, because that's always a classy move.

I'm so glad I'm not you.
I'd be glad not to be me, too. Sucks to be a Suns fan at the moment.

sabar
05-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Who cares if it's tainted?
As a matter of fact, how can you be a Spurs fan and actually worry about this?

We have been called dirty, boring, whiners, and called out for an asterisk on our first championship.

Who. Cares.

No one on this earth aside from Phil even references the asterisk championship with a straight face anymore, people just end up forgetting. Same thing with the Mavs/Heat last year. People are already forgetting about the foul differential, that legacy has been sealed as choking and Miami pulling off an upset.

No one worth a damn gives a crap about taint or asterisks 5 years down the line.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2007, 12:57 AM
I'd be glad not to be me, too. Sucks to be a Suns fan at the moment.
If you could figure out a way to shed the bogus persecution complex that the Suns fans are suffering with and just enjoy the game, I'm sure it would be much better. The Spurs usually come out flat against a team with a missing superstar.

Borosai
05-16-2007, 01:01 AM
I taint myself at least 3 times a day...at least.

Xylus
05-16-2007, 01:02 AM
If you could figure out a way to shed the bogus persecution complex that the Suns fans are suffering with and just enjoy the game, I'm sure it would be much better. The Spurs usually come out flat against a team with a missing superstar.
Listen, I bought tickets for this game AFTER I found out about the suspensions. I'm going to enjoy it, because I think the Suns still stand a chance.

You're talking to the wrong person, I don't have a persecution complex or a victim complex--I just think the league made the wrong decision. I don't think Stern or the refs are "out to get us."

Obstructed_View
05-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Listen, I bought tickets for this game AFTER I found out about the suspensions. I'm going to enjoy it, because I think the Suns still stand a chance.

You're talking to the wrong person, I don't have a persecution complex or a victim complex--I just think the league made the wrong decision. I don't think Stern or the refs are "out to get us."
Good. Enjoy the game, win or lose.

And the league didn't make a decision. Amare and Diaw did when they left the bench. There was no way around it by that point.

Xylus
05-16-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm not defending Amare and Diaw, but a marijuana user doesn't deserve a 10-year sentence, that's all I'm saying. :lol

LakerLanny
05-16-2007, 01:14 AM

It bugs me that their team didn't start the incident, yet they suffer the most.

That said, the rule is crystal friggen clear.

Any NBA player at this point who can't understand that rule and be able to react accordingly is simply too fucking dumb to worry about. And I say that as a big Amare fan, the other guy is French so what do you expect?

LakerLanny
05-16-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm not defending Amare and Diaw, but a marijuana user doesn't deserve a 10-year sentence, that's all I'm saying. :lol

They do in Texas.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2007, 01:17 AM
That's a rather bizzarre analogy. Everybody should have to play by the same set of rules, that's all I'm saying.

1SUNSFAN
It bugs me that their team didn't start the incident, yet they suffer the most.

That said, the rule is crystal friggen clear.

Any NBA player at this point who can't understand that rule and be able to react accordingly is simply too fucking dumb to worry about. And I say that as a big Amare fan, the other guy is French so what do you expect?

I don't think Boris was rushing in to help or fight, I think he was looking for the exit! Stupid french! You too Tony Parker bitch! Surrender! :yield

Obstructed_View
I don't think Boris was rushing in to help or fight, I think he was looking for the exit! Stupid french! You too Tony Parker bitch! Surrender! :yield
Damn, you beat me to it. :lol

UV Ray
05-16-2007, 01:24 AM
The Spurs are fucked anyway come tomorrow. They win and it's "Well you won with Amare and Diaw not playing." If they lose it's "Holy shit, you lost with Amare and Diaw not playing."

So seeing as how there's nothing no one can do, I will take a W. Bottomline. Won't think anything about it.

Yeah it sucks to be you, but our situation is worse.

spurster
05-16-2007, 08:39 AM

Duncan was pretty stupid at that point. All it would have taken is anyone to start scuffling, and he would have been out a game, too.

And props to Elson at that point. He took a spill as bad as Nash, but he didn't come up ready to fight. I'm still in disbelief how that wasn't a foul.

And, yes, the series is tainted, but it comes down to the players' foolish actions. I think stepping on the court, but not joining the scuffle, does not rate a suspension.

Jimcs50
05-16-2007, 08:41 AM

Who cares? This is not golf, there is cheating in every sport and you win any way you can.

Testing
05-16-2007, 09:25 AM
It's tainted in the eyes of the media, but it shouldn't be in the eyes of true fans. Every since Game 1 with Amare being a sore loser calling the Spurs dirty and D Antoni ranting and crying like a baby during the game and post game only when his team loses and being smiley and jokey when they win started this. Yet, not one person in the media seems to be pointing this out. If Bowen is dirty for kneeing Nash, what is Bell and his history? Why hasn't anyone in the media used Bell as a counter example for when Bowen is called dirty? Because they all favor the Suns and are biased.

Nash even admitted that the series is just physical, he likes it and it didn't really affect him.

ATXSPUR
05-16-2007, 09:36 AM
get over it pussy boy

ill take any win I can get. This is the fucking playoffs. Besides its not like the suns and the media wearnt gonna dig up some way to put an asterisk by our win if none of this happened. So lets just sit back and enjoy being the bad guys.

DarrinS
05-16-2007, 09:40 AM
"Tainted Love" by Soft Cell

Sometimes I feel I've got to
Run away I've got to
Get away
From the pain that you drive into the heart of me
The love we share
Seems to go nowhere
And I've lost my light
For I toss and turn I can't sleep at night

(chorus)
Once I ran to you (I ran)
Now I'll run from you
This tainted love you've given
I give you all a boy could give you
Take my tears and that's not nearly all
Oh...tainted love
Tainted love

VinnyTestesVerde
05-16-2007, 09:46 AM

technically "it AIN'T your balls, it AIN'T your ass"...thus the name TAINT :lmao

longrod
05-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Call it what you want. The NBA is loving it.

bolat
05-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Was it the Spurs fault that Stoudemire's dumbass couldn't stay on the bench? We already know he's not that smart.

If the same thing had happened near the Spurs bench and it was Duncan that got hit, do you think any of the Spurs players might have reacted in a very human way and initially rushed towards the scene? Why is everyone so quick to call Stoudamire and Diaw every name in the book? I think they reacted very much like most Spurs players would have in the same situation. Look at what Duncan did in a not so dissimilar situation in the 2nd quarter - he went onto the court when a teammate got hit.