PDA

View Full Version : Golden State Warriors- One hit wonder or team on the rise?

NBA Junkie
05-16-2007, 09:51 AM
IMO, I think they're a one hit wonder despite the fact that they played well the last two months of the season.

Baron Davis isn't durable enough to withstand the rigors of a 82 game regular season...Stephen Jackson is a thug who will quickly wear out his welcome around this time next season...Jason Richardson is a decent player, but is more of a stat stuffer who's far from an impact player...the team has some young talent in Biedrens, Ellis and Pietrus, but nothing to get excited about...Don Nelson did a good job of molding this talent into a team, but seriously, how many more years will he want to stick around?

Unless they get some interior scoring and rebounding, I just can't see how this style of play could work over a full 82 game schedule, especially considering that it's a given that Davis will miss his usual couple dozen games with the chronic injury history he possesses.

That said, they may be good enough to win 40-45 games, but will not drastically improve like some may believe.

The team that really has a bright future is the Utah Jazz. If they keep that core of young players intact with some veteran experience (like they already have), they could be good for quite awhile.

So lets hear it for the state of the Golden State Warriors.

DarrinS
05-16-2007, 09:53 AM
If they get a good big man, they'll be a good team.

monosylab1k
05-16-2007, 10:11 AM
They won't make the playoffs next season.

u2sarajevo
05-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Davis needs to keep himself healthy and they have to rebound more..... among other things.

They can't play Dallas every year in the playoffs... well they could but it's not likely.

johngateswhiteley
05-16-2007, 10:29 AM
neither. i think they make the playoffs next year and their success, as with most teams, depends on who they play.

PM5K
05-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't know that Don Nelson will ever coach an NBA Championship team, but his team are always fun to watch...

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2007, 03:14 PM
there young center biedrins is pretty good...and monta ellis

there problem next season
resign or let go the french dude, fuck forgot his name
then you have JR who might get traded
then monta elis who i think is going to bolt like arenas....

MrChug
05-16-2007, 04:04 PM
They'll be one of those "A team that could beat any given team on any given night" teams for the next couple of years but they're lack of professionalism will keep them from being a consistent threat to the league night in/night out.

boutons_
05-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Don doesn't insist on discipline, and the Warriors have no discipline.
Athletes, yes.
A good team, no.

With less athleticism, Jazz matched them in hustle, but beat them with discipline and better execution and coaching. Their horrible season road record shows how really weak they are.

The Warriors' technicals and ejections condemn them as bunch of faking ballas. They even get fined by their own coach. SJAckoff was insane last night, out of control. Should have been T'd up twice and ejected.

As Charles said, they're a one trick pony with no Plan B. If the shots don't fall at a very high rate, they're screwed. They shot 36% in the elimination game.

ponky
05-16-2007, 06:55 PM
nelson isn't sure he's returning which could change a lot of things for the warriors depending on who they get

Nelson Uncertain on Future With Warriors
By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
Posted May 16 2007 6:41PM
Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook

OAKLAND, Calif., May 16 (AP) -- Coach Don Nelson isn't sure he'll return to guide the Golden State Warriors through the next stage of their resurgence.

Nelson plans to decide by July 1 whether he'll be back for another season with the Warriors, whose surprising playoff run ended Tuesday night with a second-round loss to the Utah Jazz. The defeat capped the franchise's first winning regular season and postseason berth since 1994.

"It's not a good time for me to make that decision,'' Nelson said Wednesday at the Warriors' downtown training complex. "I think it was really important that I came here. I'm not so sure it's important that I stay on.''

Nelson, who turned 67 on Tuesday, went 42-40 in his first season back with Golden State, where he also coached from 1988-95. His 1,232 career coaching victories are the second-most in NBA history.

After snapping their 13-year playoff drought on the final day of the regular season, the eighth-seeded Warriors shocked the Dallas Mavericks in the first round, beating the NBA's best regular-season team - and Nelson's former employer - in six games. Utah beat the Warriors in five games, though all four losses were close.

Although Nelson signed a three-year contract to replace Mike Montgomery last August, he wants time to talk over his future with his wife, Joy, before committing to another year of the NBA grind, which gave him sleepless nights and added 15 pounds to his figure. Nelson plans to relax on the beach at his home in Maui until his head is clear.

Warriors probably fans shouldn't worry too much, however. Nelson also said he plans to keep his entire coaching staff intact, and he spoke optimistically of the Warriors' potential for improvement with a full healthy season for the roster that finished the regular season 16-5 before flattening the Mavs.

Nelson plans to add his opinions to top executive Chris Mullin's plans for the draft next month, and he'll decide his future around that time as well.

"I'm kind of anticipating coming back, but I'm just not totally sure,'' Nelson said. "Whether I want to put my body through another year or two would be the main issue. I'm not 66 any more. There's another life out there outside of basketball that's very enjoyable, especially when you have the means that I have at this particular time in my life.''

mardigan
05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Man, I love Nellie

Spurs>mavs
05-16-2007, 07:05 PM
There a team on the rise.

biedrins and monta should be better next year.

TLWisfoine
05-16-2007, 08:38 PM
If they get a good big man then they should be good, but the problem is Nelly doesn't like that so if Nelly does come back then this may be as good as they will be.

picnroll
05-16-2007, 08:42 PM
They need a bigger presence in the middle and rebounding. They have too much trouble aagainst teams with a dominant post player like Duncan or Boozer. Also it'll be hard for them to retain Pietrus and Barnes.

DallasFan
05-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Man, I love Nellie

:dizzy

monosylab1k
05-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Nellie's looking for a hefty raise, that's all. If they give it to him, he's back. If not, he's golfing in Maui. No matter what, he wins. Mavs fans ought to know Nellie-speak by now.

Fillmoe
05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
if they lose nelson..... ONE HIT WONDER!

Islymore
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Nellie's looking for a hefty raise, that's all. If they give it to him, he's back. If not, he's golfing in Maui. No matter what, he wins. Mavs fans ought to know Nellie-speak by now.

exactly... thass all he's lookin for... is more money. remember he's still after what Dallas "owes" him, what does that tell ya?

BacktoBasics
05-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Nellie has never won consistantly in the playoffs and he really didn't do any better this year. He's into fad basketball and it works temporarily and then fizzles. I don't expect GS to be a whole bunch better next season and especially if Nellie is back.

dallaskd
05-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Do they still have Lisa Leslie?

Fillmoe
05-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Position: Pass-First Guard
Team: Philadelphia 76ers
vBookie Cash: $830

weren't you a dallas fan like last month?

confined
05-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Position: Pass-First Guard
Team: Philadelphia 76ers
vBookie Cash: $830

weren't you a dallas fan like last month?

i asked him that question like 4 times and he never answers

ShoogarBear
05-17-2007, 08:54 PM
:dramaquee

mavsfan1000
05-17-2007, 09:35 PM
One hit wonder.

dknights411
05-17-2007, 11:24 PM
The Warriors are just one big move away. If they can pull it off, then I would probably put them just ahead of Houston in the West in terms of teams to look out for.

baseline bum
05-17-2007, 11:50 PM
One hit wonder. Dallas just played an awful first round.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm sad to say they're likely a one-hit wonder. Like I can't see them playing two good seasons like the Kings.

I mean, they can't keep together their squad of this year, because they were pretty deep and talented in their 6-7 man rotation. Their chance to go all the way to the WCF was right now, and this year. They won't be so lucky to get that opportunity, because they were too stupid to close out a good team, when they had the advantage of possibly being up 3-0 against the Jazz based on talent and luck alone. Oh welll. They've got flash-in-the pan written all over.

himat
05-18-2007, 04:58 AM
One hit wonder. The West is tough. So many teams that deserve to make it to the second round, but only 4 can make it. GS will need another explosion to make it to the second round next year, I don't see that happening.

monosylab1k
05-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Any team that's got Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson as it's leaders can't sustain success for long...they're never far away from a complete mental breakdown that destroys the team. Plus Baron's knees may never be able to last as well as they did this season.

Darrin
05-19-2007, 02:52 PM
One-hit wonder unless they win some offseason moves. I think if the Mavs are going to trade Dirk, this is the offseason to do it.

ALVAREZ6
05-19-2007, 04:01 PM
And I ran, I ran so far away....

The Warriors are running away, a one-hit wonder.

gtownspur
05-19-2007, 05:27 PM
JVG to GS! ASAP