PDA

View Full Version : Great Article!

Steve Nash
05-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Before I post the article I must say the Spurs are in a huge advantage and will probably take this series in 6.

You can forgive the battered and bruised Steve Nash if he's just a tad hesitant heading into tonight's ultimate fighting match, er, basketball game with the San Antonio Spurs.

Already in this second-round playoff series the two-time MVP has received a blood-gushing six-stitch gash to his nose, a painful knee to the groin, and, last but not least, a bodycheck into the scorers' table that would have made Scott Stevens proud.

So, people must be wondering, just what will happen to Captain Canada in Game 5?

View Larger Image
Steve Nash has taken all sorts of whacks in the Suns-Spurs series. Here, he gets launched into the scorers' table on a bodycheck from San Antonio's Robert Horry late in Game 4.
Bahram Mark Sobhani, The Associated Press

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font: ****Nash, however, says it's the other way around -- onlookers should be curious what the consequences will be for the next Spur that runs him over.

"I've been working on the guns a little bit," Nash joked, hinting he was ready to throw down with the 6-foot-10 Robert Horry following Horry's bodycheck on him with 18 seconds remaining in Game 4 on Monday.

"A couple of combos might have landed a few points to the body."

"I was trying to skate between him and the boards, and he got me with a nice hip check," added Nash, a Victoria native. "What can I say? It was a pretty nice hip check."

Kidding aside, Horry's hit has seriously shifted the momentum of this series, which is deadlocked at two apiece.

On Tuesday, the NBA suspended Suns all-star centre Amare Stoudemire and teammate Boris Diaw for tonight's game because they left the bench to stick up for Nash after Horry's hit.

Horry received two games for his actions.

The end result is the Suns are losing Nash's favourite passing partner, while the Spurs will be forced to go without a bench player who had 12:16 of court time in Game 4.

"I feel it's terribly wrong," Suns owner Robert Sarver said. "I feel we've been unjustly penalized for the fact that we played a clean, hard game. I feel if any team should have been penalized in this series, it should be the Spurs and it shouldn't be us. I feel like I've just been punched in the gut."

"I think we had the momentum going," Sarver added, "and for Robert Horry to be rewarded like that to me is unbelievable. I can't see the justice in it, but it is what it is. We'll play hard and do the best we can."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was more succinct on the issue.

"It's the playoffs," he said. "It's physical. End of story."

Lost in Monday's suspension announcements is the fact that Nash continues to overcome the Spurs' stifling defence and physical play.

Save for a self-professed off night in Game 3 -- in which he still managed to come within two rebounds of a triple-double -- Nash has punished the Spurs with his drives to the basket and pinpoint passes to Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and others.

He is averaging just under 23 points and 12 assists per game in the series.

Which is why the Suns were so upset with Horry's hit.

"You can't let a guy check your best player who's a little guy, no disrespect to Steve," said guard Raja Bell.

"Nobody wants to fight, but you have to take offence to that."

HACKS, WHACKS AND STATS: NASH'S GAME-BY-GAME RESULTS:

GAME 1 -- THE GASH

The good: Nash scores 31 points.

The bad: Nash collides head-on with Tony Parker with 2:53 remaining, leaving Nash with a nasty gash.

The ugly: With blood gushing from his nose, Nash watches from the bench in the final minute as the Spurs win 111-106.

GAME 2 -- REDEMPTION

The good: Nash returns -- complete with nose bandage -- and leads the Suns to a 101-81 victory.

The bad: Just a few bumps in the lane here and there.

The ugly: For Nash, none. For the Spurs, plenty. Nash picks them apart with 20 points and 16 assists.

GAME 3 -- KNEE JOB

The good: Nash comes within two rebounds of a triple-double, notching 16 points, 11 assists and eight rebounds.

The bad: Despite his numbers, Nash has an off game and the Spurs win 108-101.

The ugly: Nash takes a nasty knee to the groin from Bruce Bowen.

GAME 4 -- THE FRACAS

The good: Nash scores 24 points and adds 15 assists as the Suns win 104-98.

The bad: Nash is sent flying by a Robert Horry bodycheck.

The ugly: A brouhaha ensues and, a day later, Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw are suspended for one game.

Horry gets two.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-16-2007, 03:27 PM
You can't let a guy check your best player who's a little guy, no disrespect to Steve," said guard Raja Bell.

what a fucking jackass! dude still thinks he's playing street ball back in the hood I guess. What the fuck is he going to do?? Start a fight? that's what fucked you Suns up in the first place

violentkitten
05-16-2007, 03:28 PM
****Nash

never has more true a statement been made in this forum.

violentkitten
05-16-2007, 03:29 PM
man, raja is just itching to get his ass suspended for the rest of the series.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-16-2007, 03:50 PM

He's looking for it.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-16-2007, 03:51 PM

You know my fear. is that Raja may become a spur's player in the near future. I would hate for that to happen. I can't happen unless somebody gives him the "welcome" to the team and he apologizes first.

violentkitten
05-16-2007, 03:53 PM
not after this series

smrattler
05-16-2007, 04:53 PM
You know my fear. is that Raja may become a spur's player in the near future. I would hate for that to happen. I can't happen unless somebody gives him the "welcome" to the team and he apologizes first.

I must be in the minority I guess, Raja puts on a Spurs jersey again and I'm his best friend.