PDA

View Full Version : Reports: Adelman interviews with Rockets for Van Gundy's job

ducks
05-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Reports: Adelman interviews with Rockets for Van Gundy's job

May 15, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- Former NBA coach Rick Adelman has talked to the Houston Rockets about the coaching job currently held by Jeff Van Gundy, according to media reports Tuesday night.

KRIV-TV, citing anonymous league sources, reported Adelman flew to Southampton, N.Y., for a meeting at the home of Rockets owner Leslie Alexander.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Houston Chronicle, citing a person with knowledge of the team's decision-making, reported that general manager Daryl Morey also was part of the meeting.

Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis declined comment on the reports when contacted by The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

Van Gundy has one year left on his contract, but it's not guaranteed. There's a timeframe for him to decide whether to return, and the Rockets can terminate him without owing him any more money after June 30.

Van Gundy has been in Houston four years without winning a playoff series, something the club hasn't done since 1997. The Rockets went 52-30 this season despite long absences by stars Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, then lost to Utah in the first round.

Morey has told the Chronicle that Van Gundy "is open to coaching again in certain scenarios," adding that each side has goals "for things to be different."

Adelman has coached Portland, Golden State and Sacramento. He was out of coaching this year after being fired by the Kings following last season. He took the Trail Blazers to the NBA finals twice.

mavsfan1000
05-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Haha that would be interesting to see the Princeton offense run through Yao. I don't think Houston is athletic enough for it to be effective though. They need some slashers for it to work.

White Goodman
05-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Adelmans style of ball doesnt go well with the Rockets current roster, it just wouldn't work well

I'd rather Adelman goes to Orlando and help the young Magic squad, they remind me a little bit of the old Kings...

Dwight - Chris
Darko - Vlade
Hedo - Peja
Bogans/FA? - Doug
Nelson - Bibby

plus they got one of the better benches in the league with Ariza, Reddick, Battie, Arroyo and Dooling

if they dont fuck around this summer they could be major players in the playoff picture next year.

Spurs>mavs
05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Adelmans style of ball doesnt go well with the Rockets current roster, it just wouldn't work well

Yeah i agree.

trueD
05-16-2007, 10:29 PM
In 2005, after Kings succumbed to the Sonics in Round 1 and Petrie was having a surgery procedure, Maloof's went behind Adelman's back and called P-Jax.

:lol I guess Van Gundy is on the wrong side of some bad karma.

itzsoweezee
05-17-2007, 01:56 AM
wow, what a downgrade. the rockets front office is really dumb if they do this

Roxsfan
05-19-2007, 10:56 PM
why? Jvg wanted to explore other opportunities w/in the roxs organization.............no, not as a senior consultant either, he turned that down but rather:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/stuff/cf_jvg_the_bear.jpg