PDA

View Full Version : Great Hollinger article on Spurs (with comments)

Man of Steel
05-17-2007, 01:46 AM
ESPN.com | MyESPN | Member Services Welcome,

I am pasting the Insider Hollinger article complete with comments--really amusing stuff.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Spurs: NBA's new villains?
By John Hollinger

SALT LAKE CITY -- You know what I love about this suspension stuff in the Spurs-Suns series? Finally, the Spurs are the villains. Took 'em long enough.

How long were these guys going to roll up 60-win seasons and make deep playoff marches before somebody got angry about it? Usually a team this successful provokes almost instant, visceral hatred -- think of the Yankees, Lakers and Cowboys of recent times.

Yes, the Spurs are in a pea-sized market, so we're not constantly swarmed by obnoxious Spurs fans. But other small-market teams have provided a lot more animus for the rest of the league. Certainly nobody was a big fan of Oakland's Bash Brothers, for instance, and the Jazz were public enemy No. 1 throughout the West for much of the 1990s.

Read full article

Add Comment (16)

Report Violation | Ignore UserHootieRules (5/16/2007 at 12:48 PM)

LOL. Yeah, exactly what the league needed. A league that has a nationwide perception of being "thuggish" and once again something that's not related to actually playing basketball is the focal point. The NBA has actually rewarded a team for being cheap and dirty. It's acceptable for kicks to the achilles, knees to groins, or hip checks into a scores table, but lord have mercy if 2 guys that have never had an incident show some emotion when a teammate gets knocked to the floor. Think you might want to rethink your stance on this Hollinger.

Report Violation | Ignore UserGuest (5/16/2007 at 12:48 PM)

Glad someone finally made the point that Sloan makes. People seem to be conveniently forgetting that Stoudemire and Diaw headed toward the scene, while the rest of Phoenix's bench stayed smart and stayed put. Maybe Jalen Rose gets to play hero now, or some other neat storyline will arise. But I am one of those weird people who likes to watch BASKETBALL, not PLAYERS, so it doesn't much matter to me who's on the court.

Report Violation | Ignore Usermanutim (5/16/2007 at 1:19 PM)

Spurs as villains is pretty hilarious for us longtime Spurs fans. Nevertheless, I see why it could be the case. Oh well.

Report Violation | Ignore UserUTlonghorns01 (5/16/2007 at 1:21 PM)

hey hootie what games have you been watching?!?! The Spurs are just tired of getting pushed around by the suns and the nba. This is the first time in a very long time that any altercation that involved any Spurs player on or off the court. The Spurs are a class act. They should be the model franchise for any team in all sports. Stoudemire, Diaw, and Bell are wanna be thugs. What Horry did to Nash was wrong, but the Spurs deal with that game in and game out. I guess thats what needs to be done to a better team.

Report Violation | Ignore UserESPNguin (5/16/2007 at 1:28 PM)

The Spurs are getting tired of the SUNS pushing them around? Seriously? Someone's arguing that the Phoenix Suns are physically bullying people around? We're all blind to the faults of our own teams, but ... sheesh, of all the silly things that've been written in defense of the Spurs these past three days, that's the silliest.

Report Violation | Ignore Userpidgeontbc (5/16/2007 at 1:32 PM)

"The Spurs are a class act." What a ridiculous statement. Maybe "Duncan is a class act" would fly, but the Spurs are far from classy. We're talking about a team featuring the league's most egregious flopper (Manu), one of the league's dirtiest players (Bowen), and Robert Horry. Let's not forget that this isn't Horry's first incident. He used to play for the Suns until his behavior problems (most notably throwing a towel in the face of then Suns head coach Danny Ainge). The Spurs are not the worst team in the NBA, and are not the dirtiest team I've ever seen, but they are certainly NOT a class act. Tell Manu to get off his a** and play, Bowen to keep his knees to himself, and Horry to take a hike, then maybe you've got a case.

Report Violation | Ignore UserBlackDave15 (5/16/2007 at 1:46 PM)

as a spurs fan, what i believe is alot of players are very prejudice towards foreign players....especially Manu!...the fact that he is a target on practically every series we have played in the playoffs since coming in is a very questionable thing....how people complain a hell of alot about him being a flopper....i could argue that there are way more players in the league who flop...waaaay more.....and to just single out Manu, i think there is some for of prejudice there!...it is ridiculous!

Report Violation | Ignore UserButch341 (5/16/2007 at 2:30 PM)

You know.. People seem to forget that FOR YEARS the Spurs were the ones being bullied. If it wasn't the Utah Jazz, it was the L.A. Lakers. They hammered them for years and years and years. The Spurs have even been called the "Milk and Cookies Spurs" or a "WNBA Team" by Shaquille O'Neal or whomever at one point or another. Now they have one physical, all out series and all of a sudden they are the dirtiest team in the NBA and everyone is outraged on how they could do such things? Where has everyone been the last 15-20 years? At least for Spurs fans, this is nothing new. We just didn't cry about it like Suns Organization/fans have. Whether the Spurs were getting beat down by a Karl Malone elbow, a John Stockton knee, or a Shaquille O'Neal bulldozer move, they just got right back up and went at them again. I didn't see anybody up in arms then. Oh that's right, the Spurs weren't trying to be a prissy, finesse "Run-And-Gun" team like the Suns are. I guess that's the difference. Who knows. I just know that if the Suns were expecting to come into the SA series and out-quick the Spurs without any sort of contact, they were sorely mistaken. Just like the Spurs of old who were good and thought they were tough enough to get past a 90s Jazz team or 2000-2003 Lakers team. It's just not going to happen. That being said, I am NOT a fan of the suspensions because I want both teams to play at full strength, but common . . ENOUGH will all this "dirty play" talk. It happens every year and it's BEEN happening. I am not trying to defend Horry because I believe his foul was hard and deserved punishment, but if you think the Spurs of today are dirty, please, by all means go watch some film of the 90's Jazz team. Watch their playoff games against the Spurs even! Like I said, at least we didn't cry about it.

Report Violation | Ignore Userbabby1974 (5/16/2007 at 2:33 PM)

I believe that the Spurs are a model franchise, that is why so many clubs are trying to emulate them going forward. Now what Horry did was unecessary, he could have just wrapped Nash up, but again I believe frustration got the better part of him there. Now, it goes both ways. The Playoffs are different and are much more physical. Some fouls that normally get called won't and that is what makes it exciting. But what about Raja Bell and a couple of forearms he threw to fight thru screens, especially where he knocked down Oberto in the 2nd half - can't tell me that was not deliberate. And lets remember that it was Bell that actually started the altercation when he went up to Horry after the foul on Nash at the end of the game. If you want to blame someone - start there. Horry was walking back to his bench and the Bell came up and shoved/pushed him. Hey I am all for standing up for your team mates, but if he did not go up to Horry then maybe both teams would be playing at full strength. But then again that is Playoff basketaball.

Report Violation | Ignore UserHootieRules (5/16/2007 at 2:50 PM)

Dave, I agree. There is a lot of prejudice toward a lot of foreign players but it's because they brought a soccer mentality to the game of basketball and it's very hard for American fans to accept this. They're not being racist or anything though. And for whoever called Boris Diaw a thug. Are you kidding me buddy?

Report Violation | Ignore Userjilldwall (5/16/2007 at 3:38 PM)

Thanks for the article Hollinger. You now have as much class as the Spurs....NONE.

Report Violation | Ignore UserJPAV56 (5/16/2007 at 4:10 PM)

pidgeon....You must have missed all of Raja Bell's "charge" calls, or when he conveniently writhed in pain trying to go through Duncan's moving screen, give me a break dude...oh, and when Nash got Duncan for his 3rd, WHILE IN THE CREASE.. Ginobli flops, no doubt or argument, but "being the most egregious"...a little strong.. especially since Bell has emulated his abilities to get calls mirror those of Ginobli

Report Violation | Ignore UserCARTERRIDGES (5/16/2007 at 4:15 PM)

The spurs have class. Duncan is dripping with class. Parker is classy, just ask Eva. Horry not so much. Don't lump all the spurs with him. With that said, I hope the Suns win. Nash deserves it. So does his groin (ouch). Btw Baron Davis is a pretty bad flopper

Report Violation | Ignore Userllcoolron04 (5/16/2007 at 4:56 PM)

Butch341, I applaud your comments. The last 2 playoff series against the Nuggets, the pounded the snot out of Duncan and Manu. But they didn't cry, they just buckled down and ran them off the court. Last year against the Kings, Artest was going "Artest on anyone in his way. Juwan Howard took Derek Anderson out of the playoffs in 2002. See the Spurs as a team take responsibility for their losses and gives credit to the other team. When the Suns learn that lesson, maybe then they will win a championship. I bet they would say" The Spurs broke the rules and the suspensions were just" if it was Duncan and Bowen getting suspened and the Suns only lose James Jones.

Report Violation | Ignore UserSlamjoe (5/16/2007 at 5:42 PM)

wah, wah, wah... waaaaaaaaaanh.

Report Violation | Ignore Userdvc5150 (5/16/2007 at 11:27 PM)

Hey pidgeontbc! Did Ginobili get off his #### and play tonite? I would think so...

Add Comment on "Spurs: NBA's new villains?"

mikekim
05-17-2007, 05:05 AM
Umm...you didn't paste the article...?

I would really like to see a journalist take the spurs side on this thing for a change.

jmard5
05-17-2007, 06:25 AM
i thought this was a complete article. i have no INSIDER access.

ponky
05-17-2007, 06:55 AM
here's what hollinger thinks (hey, i didn't say it, just delivering it)

John Hollinger, ESPN.com: A mess. They interpreted it in such a way to cause maximum damage to the Suns, even though the Spurs started it. Yes, it's the letter of the law, but I thought they'd even things out by suspending Duncan and Bowen too. The joke's on them, though -- if San Antonio advances because of this ruling, the TV ratings will be far short of what Phoenix would have pulled in.