PDA

View Full Version : So now that Horry has given the Spurs Street Cred...

whottt
05-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Does he get a PCT of the boost in jersey sales?

Seriously...

Horry is King Midas...

Not only did he send a message to the rest of his team about what it takes to win a series you are on the verge of losing...(nice guys don't win series like that, including the Spurs)

He gave us the advantage in game 5.

He got revenge for Raja Bell beating the shit out of Manu all series...

And the biggest coup of all?

He turned the Spurs into a marketable property...

All in one fell swoop.

Both Stern and Holt need to kiss his ass, because he did something they have been trying to do for a decade...make the Spurs interesting to the casual viewer.

J.T.
05-17-2007, 02:02 PM
That hip check is probably his greatest moment as a Spur.

Bandwagon Bill
05-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I wonder - does anyone know the ratings from last night? It might be a bit off because the game was so late, but I wonder if the new image Spurs are going to get any additional attention for the rest of the playoffs?

cheguevara
05-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Spurs are in no way more marketable. that's an illusion

whottt
05-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Of course it will...

The only thing that could help the Spurs ratings more is if Duncan beat his wife or shot at someone.

violentkitten
05-17-2007, 02:06 PM
the casual fan needs to understand why a team is so successful but can't be bothered with x's & o's so we're left with 'they're dirty' or 'they get breaks'...

Obstructed_View
05-17-2007, 02:07 PM
It's fine with me if the whole world tunes in to the Spurs games just to root against them.

MadDog73
05-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Spurs are the new Raiders.

I just hope they don't ban Spurs jerseys now the gang-bangers start wearing them...

whottt
05-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Spurs are in no way more marketable. that's an illusion

Spoken like a true clueless idiot(not that you needed any additional help to be convincing in that role, Che)...controversy sells...hate sells.

No need to further prove you are an idiot by wasting keystrokes...it was done the first time you took that name...what a douche...

If you were a woman you'd be writing love letters to Ted Bundy...

Sec24Row7
05-17-2007, 02:11 PM
The Spurs are "Interesting" now...

After 99, a season in which everyone was really kinda down on the NBA because of the lockout season, it was really kind of the league's fault for not pumping the spurs as a serious contender...

That 2003 series would have had much higher ratings had they actually talked about the spurs during that playoffs. However... they put all their chips in the Lakers basket and when the lakers got crushed... the league had basically no story.

They changed that by 2005 a season in which the ratings were much better for the finals... a series that was actually COMPELLING...

In 2007 if the Spurs get to the finals, this Dirty talk will still be a story line... as will a Detroit rematch or... best case scenario for the league... a Lebron appearance...

Tek_XX
05-17-2007, 02:12 PM
The team is not dirty but we're not soft. No one gets a free ride going thru the Spurs. I doubt this increases the Spurs popularity, it probably only increases the jealous hatred that was already there.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2007, 02:14 PM
ESPN has never bothered to talk up the Spurs. It's just the worst marketing decision they could make. Leave it to the Phoenix gorilla to hand ESPN a way to boost the ratings on Spurs games.

whottt
05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
The team is not dirty but we're not soft. No one gets a free ride going thru the Spurs. I doubt this increases the Spurs popularity, it probably only increases the jealous hatred that was already there.

Another marketing neophyte...

If done properly, the lure to tune in hoping to see a team lose is greater than any lure provided by any other team winning...

A hate base>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a fan base

You think the Cowboys are the greatest draw in Sports history because everyone loves them?

MadDog73
05-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Whott's onto something. The fact that our colors are Silver and Black certainly won't hurt...

How Laker's colors ever got popular still amazes me...

whottt
05-17-2007, 02:17 PM
ESPN has never bothered to talk up the Spurs. It's just the worst marketing decision they could make. Leave it to the Phoenix gorilla to hand ESPN a way to boost the ratings on Spurs games.

They are talking about them now, trashing them, rooting against them, and not just because they are boring....or hasn't anyone noticed?

Sec24Row7
05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
You know how many Golden State games I would have watched in the First round had they not been playing the Mavericks?

Bandwagon Bill
05-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Another marketing neophyte...

If done properly, the lure to tune in hoping to see a team lose is greater than any lure provided by any other team winning...

A hate base>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a fan base

You think the Cowboys are the greatest draw in Sports history because everyone loves them?

You're expecting the NBA to market properly? This should slap Stern in the face as a golden opportunity, but something tells me he'll put the rest of the playoff stock in "It's only Basketball" Lebron, the "King" with no heart. Once the Cavs get bounced by the Pistons he'll be left with two teams in the Finals that he didn't put any marketing muscle behind.

whottt
05-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Stern isn't the reason Artest is a draw...

Artest being a fucking whackjob is the reason for that.

Trainwreck2100
05-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Is Horry our Tookie Williams?

Bandwagon Bill
05-17-2007, 02:22 PM
The NBA needs to have a new series of commercials - "The Horry's"

:hat

whottt
05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
You're expecting the NBA to market properly? This should slap Stern in the face as a golden opportunity, but something tells me he'll put the rest of the playoff stock in "It's only Basketball" Lebron, the "King" with no heart. Once the Cavs get bounced by the Pistons he'll be left with two teams in the Finals that he didn't put any marketing muscle behind.

Exactly how you would purposely market this? There is no way the establishment can market it...doing so completely undermines the marketing potential.

Media condemnation and outrage is the only marketing needed. Probably do need more of that though...

phyzik
05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
The league needed a villain.... they have one now if they keep up the trash talk.... Everyone loves to hate the bad guy.

Stern is probably beside himself with giddiness at the possibilities... A super-villain powerfull enough to make it to the top... who will stop this super-villain and thier injustices?

mullet
05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
You know how many Golden State games I would have watched in the First round had they not been playing the Mavericks?

EXACTLY

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-17-2007, 02:49 PM
That hip check is probably his greatest moment as a Spur.

I'll still take Game 5, DET, 2005.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-17-2007, 02:53 PM
It's clear the impact this has had in the entire market. ESPN was showing the Horry hipcheck every 15 minutes on Tuesday. It was non-stop until the next game started. There is a new dimension in the Spurs now. I don't think that's the spirit the ownership wants to give it but they will play along with that. Once the league acknowledges the Spurs have a credible, measurable, fan base that will turn on the TV to watch them being or not being fans, that will set the tone for the rest of the playoffs and the finals. And will be a good precendent for next year.

whottt
05-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Now we just need to get W to show up at a few Spurs games....

Solid Gold.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2007, 03:01 PM
The NBA could have marketed the team the same way the NFL markets, oh I don't know, the Patriots and the Colts. Maybe throw in some puff pieces during the regular season. Maybe show some actual highlights. How many times this year has ESPN completely missed showing the best plays from the Spurs game on Sportscenter? How about some explanations of the way the defenses work so people know what to look for? If you can show NFL fans the battle between linemen, you can teach NBA fans to appreciate defense.

If you know there's a pretty good chance two teams are going to go deep into the playoffs, you could at very least make sure people don't despise the thought of watching them just because everybody else says they are boring.

SAGambler
05-17-2007, 03:35 PM

And the fact they had gotten the Mavs number the entire season.

I didn't miss any of those games.....Even the ones that kept me up past midnight to see.

Whoever says "hate" sells is right.....

What makes the headlines in the news? Blood, sex, hate, and crime.

When was the last time you saw an article about "a good soft" team make the headlines of the Sports paper?

boutons_
05-17-2007, 03:39 PM
what are the playoffs TV rating this year vs past years?

The GSW/Mavs and Spurs/Suns series should be racking up some viewers.

atxrocker
05-17-2007, 03:41 PM
yeah. felonies for everyone! your spurs are suddenly so cool.

Strike
05-17-2007, 03:50 PM

coming from someone who's team traded for Ron Artest and Bonzi Wells.

violentkitten
05-17-2007, 03:51 PM

the kings were cool and are at home.