PDA

View Full Version : What is the future of the Spurs without Duncan?

SacheLee
05-17-2007, 02:19 PM
This is not a bash thread. Do you think that the Spurs will be able to find another great PF or C to replace Duncan when he leaves his prime? :wtf

Budkin
05-17-2007, 02:20 PM
All I know is that it's going to suck for a while...

Extra Stout
05-17-2007, 02:20 PM
This is not a bash thread. Do you think that the Spurs will be able to find another great PF or C to replace Duncan when he leaves his prime? :wtf
No.

fyatuk
05-17-2007, 02:21 PM
If the luck holds, in a couple years Duncan will injure himself, miss the entire season, the Spurs will have the fewest balls in the lottery but still win, and then be able to draft the next sure fire hall of fame 7 footer ;)

We're in for some rough times after Duncan is gone :(

MavericksDynasty
Lots of talk of the good ol days and "three rings" while their team goes 40-42 and picks 11th every year.

dknights411

If we can somehow trade for Greg Oden, maybe.

ducks
05-17-2007, 02:22 PM
How can you replace one of the great players in Nba history?
david robinson was replaced by duncan

cherylsteele
Finding a PF/C in the Duncan's class or even close to it will be nearly impossible or very difficult at best. Player like that only come once in a blue moon. We got lucky with having DRob and Duncan.

You never know, but I find it unlikely.

MadDog73
The cool thing is, I think Tony Parker will be one of the best point guards ever.

I actually foresee the Spurs being like the Suns after Tim retires... except with more Rings.

Extra Stout
05-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Lots of talk of the good ol days and "five rings" while their team goes 40-42 and picks 11th every year.
Fixed.

cherylsteele
05-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Lots of talk of the good ol days and "three rings" while their team goes 40-42 and picks 11th every year.
We have done alot better with picks even lower than that....Manu, Tony.

Extra Stout
05-17-2007, 02:24 PM
The cool thing is, I think Tony Parker will be one of the best point guards ever.

I actually foresee the Spurs being like the Suns after Tim retires... except with more Rings.
Tony Parker = Kevin Johnson, not Magic Johnson.

SacheLee
05-17-2007, 02:24 PM
How can you replace one of the great players in Nba history?

You guys replaced Robinson...

Extra Stout
05-17-2007, 02:25 PM
You can't expect lightning to keep striking.

cherylsteele
05-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Tony Parker = Kevin Johnson, not Magic Johnson.
KJ was all that bad either....Magic is like Duncan....impossible to replace.

easjer
05-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, Tony will still be around. The FO will still be around. They are making moves now to bring in other quality players (I hope some pan out).

Will we take a dive? Oh, sure. We'll likely fall to mid-low conference and be first or second round exits for awhile.

But if the organization remains largely the same, then this will still be a place for vets and a place that top prospects entertain as a place to win championships. I believe that when we have the cap room, we'll be able to get a few decent players here.

But it won't be the same ever again, and a little of my love will diminish (because Timmy is my favorite Spur).

GrandeDavid
05-17-2007, 02:27 PM
After Karl Malone and John Stockton retired, lots of folks thought that the Jazz were doomed to lottery pickage and free agent void for the rest of eternity, or until their franchise relocated. But instead the Jazz inspire fans of a team like the Spurs, that free agents will go to smaller markets and help can come via the draft. Just a few years ago, who honestly would've thought Utah would be a legitimate championship contender by now? I sure as hell didn't.

So while I'm not resting hopes on another Robinson or Duncan coming to the rescue, I think that if the Spurs keep their organization and work philosophy in place, there will be a few hiccups, but they can come back to the top again.

But I don't think Duncan will retire anytime soon.

cherylsteele
Who replaced DRob?....Duncan doesn't play center.....his replacements have sub par at best.....Rasho, Nazr, Elson, Fabs, etc.

easjer
What I don't think will happen is the massive suckage that other teams have experienced (ahem, Chicago). I think they have enough quality players and will have enough quality players to make it work into the post season. It won't be an utter collapse.

Mr. Body
05-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Utah did well to get into the WCF, but they did so because Houston kind of sucked and Dallas imploded. Before that, it took them basically a decade to get back into form. Last time they had any playoff success was 1997-1998.

Same or similar for us.

violentkitten
05-17-2007, 02:29 PM
i guess we'll see in about 5 years.

MavericksDynasty
We have done alot better with picks even lower than that....Manu, Tony.

Josh Howard #29 bitches!

Extra Stout
Popovich is going to retire when Duncan does.

Parker and Ginobili already have alluded to leaving when Tim does (though Manu will be washed up by then anyway).

The organization will be starting over from scratch more or less.

They'll be deep lottery for at least a couple of years.

Budkin
Let's enjoy having Timmy around while we still can... and remember how well Hakeem Olajuwon played in his later years. I think he's got at least 4 great years left in him. And then a couple decent ones.

SacheLee
05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, Tony will still be around. The FO will still be around. They are making moves now to bring in other quality players (I hope some pan out).

Will we take a dive? Oh, sure. We'll likely fall to mid-low conference and be first or second round exits for awhile.

But if the organization remains largely the same, then this will still be a place for vets and a place that top prospects entertain as a place to win championships. I believe that when we have the cap room, we'll be able to get a few decent players here.

But it won't be the same ever again, and a little of my love will diminish (because Timmy is my favorite Spur).

Yes, Tony is a good PG. Top 5, IMO. I respect Tim Duncan;he seems to always keep his cool. Him and Tony Parker are the only ones I can tolerate. Even though they beat the Suns last night... :cry

BradLohaus
05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
It's been 20 years since the Spurs were down, not counting the tank year. You can't expect this to last forever.

cherylsteele
05-17-2007, 02:32 PM
I think the Spurs will be still competitive. We have done alright in the draft with rather lower 1st round picks. Someone said we would be like the Suns after Timmy goes. As a long time Spurs fan, I remember the run and gun days of Ice, Mitch, Silas, etc. We held our own and then some. Those teams could outgun the Suns, Mavs, Warriors, etc....at least scoring wise. They did average like 115-120 ppg for many years. The problem back then was the defense was not good enough, but it was fun to watch that too.

Mixability
05-17-2007, 02:33 PM
There will be less flags on cars. The Go Spurs Go signs that businesses usually put up will be put in storage. In other words, the bandwaggoners will be gone and we'll know who the real fans are.

Strike
05-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Without Duncan, there will be some lean years in my opinion. But that's a few years away. Dude is only what, 31?

cherylsteele
05-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Josh Howard #29 bitches!
I wasn't trying to bash you post....geez....testy are we?:rolleyes
I was trying to say that 11th or so isn't the end of the world with our draft picks down near the bottom. I just gave Manu and Tony as an example of good picks at the bottom of the draft.

Soul_Patch
05-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Although i will miss the hell out of this existing squad, i almost look forward to see'ing what kind of changes the FO may try and make and how well it does.

It is going to be a sad day when Duncan retires, but it will also be a sort of rebirth for this organization into god knows what...id think we will have a new coach, new philosphy of play, etc...its kinda fun to think about.

cherylsteele
05-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Utah did well to get into the WCF, but they did so because Houston kind of sucked and Dallas imploded. Before that, it took them basically a decade to get back into form. Last time they had any playoff success was 1997-1998.

Same or similar for us.
At least they are in the mix.....I would be pleased if we could get back to that level as quickly as the Jazz have.

bdictjames
05-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey I think Oberto's going there. He's not gonna be Timmy, but his bank shot and his passing can be very good.

Mr. Body
05-17-2007, 02:51 PM
At least they are in the mix.....I would be pleased if we could get back to that level as quickly as the Jazz have.

You do know I just said a decade, don't you?

violentkitten
05-17-2007, 02:55 PM
is duncan 41 and not 31? what's the future of the suns without nash? that's a much closer reality.

AFBlue
05-17-2007, 03:15 PM
is duncan 41 and not 31? what's the future of the suns without nash? that's a much closer reality.

This is a good point. It's hard to know what the future without Duncan will be like because there's no telling when he'll retire. He's got at least 4 good years left in him and I could conceivably see him going six years. The only one under contract at the end of that four-year point is Tony.

Any guesses about what the makeup of the Spurs will be by then would be pure speculation...

So I'll speculate that Jackie Butler becomes Carlos Boozer or Nene and the Spurs ride him and Tony for as long as possible.

violentkitten
05-17-2007, 03:20 PM
i'm not sure why all of a sudden the spurs are 'at the end of their run'. td is 31, tp is 25 and manu is 30 this year. that's not exactly aged. will the supporting cast be overhauled soon? sure.

gino>yourlife
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
5 words:

james white and matt bonner

my2sons
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM

sounds like a fan that lived, loved it learned it

violentkitten
05-17-2007, 03:31 PM
sounds like a fan that lived, loved it learned it

better than being the fan of a team that wins 55+ every year with no rings to show for it and having to troll the internets seeking validation.

boutons_
05-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Tim will leave a big hole, but so will his $120M contract leave a salary hole which ought to buy something of sufficient quality to keep the Spurs near the top.

But losing Tim AND Pop, who are both responsible for 10 years of success, will throw the franchise into darkness and mediocrity.

violentkitten
05-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Tim will leave a big hole, but so will his $120M contract leave a salary hole which ought to buy something of sufficient quality to keep the Spurs near the top.

But losing Tim AND Pop, who are both responsible for 10 years of success, will throw the franchise into darkness and mediocrity.

so enjoy the next 5 before that happens. :hat

atxrocker
05-17-2007, 03:43 PM
when duncan is gone, expect half to jump off the bandwagon at alarming rates

thousandth
05-17-2007, 03:57 PM
5 words:

james white and matt bonner

:wtf :wtf :wtf

1 word:

NO :nope

Spurs>mavs
05-17-2007, 04:16 PM
were going to suck for a couple years.

Texas_Ranger
05-17-2007, 04:20 PM
When Duncan will retire the Spurs will strart going down. Manu will be old, Parker will not be able to do all by himself. Horry, Oberto, Bowen, Elson, Vaugh will not be in the team cause they will retire, at least Horry & Bowen will. So I'll say 5 years of shit, then we'll get new Duncan on the NBA draft.

cornbread
05-17-2007, 04:31 PM
So I'll say 5 years of shit, then we'll get new Duncan on the NBA draft.
Or we could get a Kwame Brown. Remember, not all #1 draft picks are created equal.

ImpartialObserver
05-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Definitely less wins and championships, but most likely a more exciting brand of basketball to watch.

Texas_Ranger
05-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Or we could get a Kwame Brown. Remember, not all #1 draft picks are created equal.

Or even better. What do you say about Michael Olowokandi.

Obstructed_View
Barring a devastating injury or a chronic ailment, Duncan will be productive for ten more years. Really not much to worry about. Keep halfway decent players around him and don't wear him out before mid-march, and the Spurs will be fine for a while.

Ocotillo
The future post-Duncan? That is when we will find out how good the front office is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pop stepped down as head coach and became team president and become more involved with player personnel because R.C. took a job somewhere else.

Of the current squad only Tony Parker is a lock to be kept (if he wants to stay when he becomes a free agent).

With any luck, James White, Jackie Butler, Ian Mahinmi or Viktor Sankidze will have evolved to NBA caliber players. By the time Duncan moves on, Luis Scola maybe able to buy out his deal and come to the NBA but unfortunately he will be ready for a pension as well. :lol

This years draft and the '08 signings will shed more light on what the post-Duncan era will look like.

Ocotillo
05-17-2007, 04:37 PM

eh? Or Joe Smith.

Borosai
05-17-2007, 04:41 PM
James White!

cornbread
05-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I actually just got a chill reading that. This is a fate no team deserves.

dbreiden83080
05-17-2007, 05:12 PM

Not for a very long time. Spurs hit the jackpot with D-Rob out that one year and they sucked and got Duncan the next year. They will surely be in for some lean years totally rebuilding from the ground up. Probably much like the struggles the Bulls went through when Jordan said goodbye and they have slowly built themselves back to being contenders again.

dbreiden83080
05-17-2007, 05:14 PM

They got Lucky because he got hurt that one year and they basically tanked the season. Plus they got even luckier on draft day because the Celtics were suppossed to get Duncan, they had the most balls in the lottery.

spurschick
05-17-2007, 05:14 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/10/27/fondue_28dayslater_wideweb__430x282,0.jpg

WE ARE ALL DOOMED!

wildbill2u
05-17-2007, 06:20 PM
We will become a lottery team and find another great player.

How do I know? Because look at the lottery picks we got in the past and ask yourself, "Is God a Spurs fan or what?" :clap

Who would Jesus pick? The Spurs!

SAtoDallas
05-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Josh Howard #29 bitches!

Too bad he's down in Cedar Hill closing on his new house and not getting ready for the next round.

SacheLee
05-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Too bad he's down in Cedar Hill closing on his new house and not getting ready for the next round.

How do you know he lives in Cedar Hill?

bigFUNDAMENTAL
05-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Popovich is going to retire when Duncan does.

Parker and Ginobili already have alluded to leaving when Tim does (though Manu will be washed up by then anyway).

The organization will be starting over from scratch more or less.

They'll be deep lottery for at least a couple of years.
Agreed

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-17-2007, 07:34 PM
I'd rather enjoy the 'now' thank you very much.

Pike The Conqueror
05-17-2007, 08:05 PM

Doubtful, but you can tank again, and get another Duncan.

ChumpDumper
05-17-2007, 08:06 PM
With any luck, we'll have less than half the chance at #1 than Boston has again.

cherylsteele
05-17-2007, 08:59 PM
You do know I just said a decade, don't you?
I must've missed that part of the post...sorry. Has it been that long? Doesn't seem that long. But they have been in the playoffs since then and have been competitive...that is what I was trying to convey.

cherylsteele
05-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Barring a devastating injury or a chronic ailment, Duncan will be productive for ten more years. Really not much to worry about. Keep halfway decent players around him and don't wear him out before mid-march, and the Spurs will be fine for a while.
10 more years? I would love to see that...honestly....but I just do see it happening. Mainly because I have a feeling he will retire before then. If he doesn't he will probably end up like Hakeem did. relegated to the bench playing very spotty minutes at best.

GrandeDavid
05-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Let's enjoy having Timmy around while we still can... and remember how well Hakeem Olajuwon played in his later years. I think he's got at least 4 great years left in him. And then a couple decent ones.

Bud, my thoughts exactly. Spurs fans need to live in the now and appreciate every game.

smrattler
05-17-2007, 09:19 PM

It'll be 5 rings moron. And don't worry, the good old day stories will also include the hilariou Mavs thinking they had contenders with something they used to call "Nellie Ball", then finally getting one lucky trip to the Finals only to choke it big time, then later getting an MVP that couldn't beat an 8th seed, then later watching the Dirk become the first reigning MVP to retire due to "no balls". Watching Cuban cry a few more times... Ah, the good old days.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2007, 09:24 PM
10 more years? I would love to see that...honestly....but I just do see it happening. Mainly because I have a feeling he will retire before then. If he doesn't he will probably end up like Hakeem did. relegated to the bench playing very spotty minutes at best.
He'll retire before he becomes ineffective. My point is that he doesn't rely on athleticism or speed or incredible strength, and if he can do what he did last year with plantar fasciitis or the year before on two sprained ankles there's no reason he can't give you a double double until he's Dikembe's age, even if he isn't the first or second option.

cherylsteele
05-17-2007, 09:27 PM
He'll retire before he becomes ineffective. My point is that he doesn't rely on athleticism or speed or incredible strength, and if he can do what he did last year with plantar fasciitis or the year before on two sprained ankles there's no reason he can't give you a double double until he's Dikembe's age, even if he isn't the first or second option.
I agree with you here......I think we kinda said the same thing.
He has never been regarded as an athletic player like you said and that will/should help his longevity.