PDA

View Full Version : Hey ags, ready for some baseball?

Ballcox
05-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Should be a good series this weekend, first game tomorrow at a&m is being televised on Fox Sports, I think first pitch is at 6:30 but I could be wrong on that one. We need two wins in the series to secure a Big XII title.

Of course Mizzou is playing Ok. State, so I'll also be cheering for the Cowboys to do some damage. Looking forward to some college baseball this weekend! Think I'll try and make one of the 2 games in Austin over the weekend.

Hook'em!

degenerate_gambler
05-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Brent Zwerneman: UT-A&M bring out best, no matter which sport

Web Posted: 05/17/2007 09:32 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA051807.04D.COL.BBCzwerneman.318f928.html

COLLEGE STATION — I clearly remember Augie Garrido's first visit to Olsen Field as Texas coach, on a clear night 10 years ago.

When they weren't chanting, "Soggy Burrito!" Texas A&M fans greeted the college baseball legend with jeers of, "We want Gus!"
The Aggies, or "Raggies," were calling for longtime Texas coach Cliff Gustafson, Garrido's predecessor with the Longhorns.

Two UT national titles later — or, bluntly, double the number of national championships A&M has ever won in the three major sports — those heckling A&M fans appear pretty wise.

They really did want Gus.

Take heed, A&M faithful, the UT-A&M series is offering signs of relevance again.

The rivals, both ranked in the top 10, clash tonight in College Station. The series then shifts to Austin for Saturday and Sunday games.

Boerne's own Bradley Suttle, who leads UT with a .359 batting average, puts it best.

No matter what some players or coaches claim about this being just another series, Longhorns-Aggies brings about a "heightened sense of importance."

Clinching the Big 12 regular-season title isn't weighing on the Longhorns' minds. It's all about beating the Aggies.

"You don't need any extra incentive to get up for playing the Aggies," Suttle said. "(Winning the title) doesn't add anything to it for me. They're going to be big games any way you look at it."

Fifth-ranked UT (39-14 overall, 18-6 in the Big 12) is painstakingly close to clinching the league title.

Ninth-ranked A&M (41-12, 13-10) is trying to solidify a role as a regional host — a year after finishing last in the conference.

"We've made huge strides this year," said A&M's Blake Stouffer, of Alamo Heights. "We're setting ourselves up for a good run at it here."

Stouffer, whose father, Blair, played at UT in the mid-1970s, is one of the many players on both squads recruited by both schools.

"I was a diehard Longhorn up until I got close to signing with A&M," Stouffer said.

Stouffer set aside his burnt-orange gear after he visited Olsen as a junior at Alamo Heights in 2003.

"My parents and I sat in the student section, and were just kind of in awe of the chants and all of the traditions they have here at the baseball field," he said.

"It made me lean toward A&M and playing in this kind of atmosphere," he said.

"The Aggies ended up beating the Longhorns that night, too."

The likes of Stouffer and Suttle are biased when it comes to UT-A&M. They grew up watching the "heightened sense of import" when the burnt orange and maroon took the field — any field.

"It's the biggest rivalry in college sports," Stouffer said. "It's for bragging rights. We want to come out and make a statement. Beating Texas is such a good feeling."

It's a bittersweet feeling the elder Stouffer knows well — from the other side.

"We came here (in 1975) and we were 21-0 in the Southwest Conference," Blair recalled. "We beat A&M in the first two games and were up (8-6) in the last one, and their catcher, Tommy Hawthorne, hit a three-run homer with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.

"That kind of blemished our record. We went on to win the College World Series, but it still would've been cool to be 24-0."

Whether played 32 years ago or tonight, this is an important series, one spanning generations. And, most of all, it's a heck of a lot of fun for all involved — including heckling fans.

MajorMike
05-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Wow; bitch slapped.

I'm actually hoping for an atm sweep and an OSU sweep of Mizzou which would give OSU the B12 Title. Neither are very likely.

Sort of odd the top 4 seeds are all playing each other the last series. Heck, atm better watch it. They get swept and Nebraska sweeps a very bad KU team (8-15/27-28) and atm will be the 5 seed at 13-13 in the conf. They won't be hosting anything if that happens.

There could also be a 3-way tie for 4th at 13-13 if KSU sweeps Baylor (9-15/28-24) and Neb goes 2-1. If that were the case, it would go by wins over the higher seeded teams. Neb and KSU both beat Texas, which would automatically drop atm to the 6-seed. Neb took the KSU series 2-1 which would give them the 4-seed.

degenerate_gambler
05-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I don't think UT sweeps this weekend. Nicholson for A&M is a damn good pitcher and he'll give Texas hell tonite. Newman is pretty decent also.

Aggy's downfall is their bully...they don't have one and if they can't get a complete game out of their starter, they're in a world of trouble.

Capt Mike, you're hoping for alot to happen and I guess it could but I don't see this Texas team losing 2 out of 3 to this Aggy team while you guys sweep your series.

But then again...

MajorMike
05-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Well, we just need to make sure we win our series 2-1 at least. This will ensure the #2 seed. More importantly this means the highest seed in our pod and the 1st tie-breaker (in the stupid B12 pod system).

MajorMike
05-18-2007, 11:49 AM
From Rivals.com-

Things were looking bleak for the Oklahoma State Cowboys after getting swept at home by Texas a few weeks ago.

From second place with a shot at first to third place with a danger of falling to fourth, it seemed like OSU was starting a season-ending tailspin.

So much for that.

All the Cowboys (38-13 overall, 16-8 Big 12) have done since that Longhorn stampede is win. And, most times, pretty convincingly at that. Sweeps of Oklahoma and Texas Tech resulted in an outburst of offense (56 runs in those six games) after being zipped down against UT. And throw in a possible regional-goes-to-the-winner road victory over Wichita State (3-1 this past Tuesday) and the Cowboys went from cold to hot in just a few weeks.

And now the Pokes have a chance to complete the turnaround. Sitting with Missouri (36-14, 16-8) in a tie for second in the Big 12 Conference race, OSU controls its own destiny this weekend. The Friday game is set to begin at 6:30 p.m., with the Saturday time listed as 2 p.m. and the Sunday finale is slated for 1 p.m. The starting pitchers for the Pokes will be, in order: Jeff Breedlove (0-3, 4.50 ERA), Oliver Odle (6-4, 4.42 ERA) and Andrew Oliver (6-1, 4.66 ERA).

If the No. 10 Pokes can win the series, they will head down to Oklahoma City with the No. 2 seed in the Big 12 Tournament, which means it would be in the top spot in the pool opposite from Texas, along with the No. 3, 6 and 7 seeds. So, at the very least, the Cowboys wouldn't have to play the Horns again until the championship game even if they lost the series, as the No. 3 seed plays in the same pool – unless the Tigers swept OSU and Texas A&M swept Texas this weekend. With that not being likely, it appears both teams are safe from the deep end.

While you know all about the roll that OSU has been on of late, the Tigers haven't been playing too badly either. No. 17 Mizzou has won eight of its last 10 games. That stretch includes series wins Texas Tech, Texas and Oklahoma. Of their eight conference series to date, the Tigers have won seven. They sport a 13-6 record on the road. So much for that preseason prediction of an eighth-place finish, huh?

The Tigers are going to try and quiet the Pokes' bats with three pitchers who have posted good numbers this season. Friday's starter, Aaron Crow, is 7-2 in 14 starts this spring with a 2.53 ERA. On Saturday, Rick Zagone (6-2, 5.08 ERA) is slated to throw and Ian Berger (4-1, 4.23 ERA) rounds out the starting rotation for the weekend.

They don't field near the firepower OSU does, however. The Tigers don't have a single player with double-digit home run totals, though Trevor Coleman and Jacob Priday are close, with eight apiece. Priday is also second on the team in RBI production, with 44. He is only topped by Ryan Lollis (46) in that category. Evan Frey has the best batting average on the squad, coming in at .339. By comparison, Ty Wright is hitting .433 and currently has a 28-game hitting streak going strong. He has five home runs and 34 RBI. Tyler Mach is hitting .408, with 14 homers and 69 RBI and Corey Brown leads the team in homers, with 19.

lemming
05-18-2007, 10:58 PM
as long as neither mizzou sweeps each other, this win secured the big 12 for UT.

BeerIsGood!
05-19-2007, 03:03 AM
No. 7 Baseball rallies late to top Texas A&M, 6-4

Nick Peoples

· Box score

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- No. 7 Texas scored two runs in both the seventh and ninth innings to post a come-from-behind 6-4 win over No. 9 Texas A&M in Big 12 Conference baseball action Friday evening at Olsen Field.

With the win in the first game of the State Farm Lone Star Showdown, the Longhorns earned a share of the Big 12 regular-season title and posted their sixth consecutive 40-win season. Texas can claim the No. 1 seed at next week's Big 12 Conference Tournament with either one win in one of their last two games or one Missouri loss in one of its last two games.

Nick Peoples started the game-winning rally in the ninth inning with an infield single. He stole second base and advanced to third on a throwing error by Missouri catcher Josh Stinson. With one out, Travis Tucker drew a walk to put runners on the corners. Peoples scored the game-winning run on a wild pitch by Missouri closer Kyle Thebeau. Another throwing error by the Stinson allowed Tucker to advance to third on the play and he scored an insurance run on a sacrifice fly by Chance Wheeless, giving Texas a 6-4 lead.

Trailing 4-2 in the seventh inning, Peoples also started the Longhorns' game-tying rally. He singled to centerfield with one out. In a nine-pitch at-bat, Chais Fuller hit a double to the wall in leftfield, plating Peoples. With two outs, Fuller scored the equalizer on a single to leftfield by Jordan Danks.

Texas (40-14, 19-6) drew first blood in the top of the first inning when Kyle Russell delivered a first-pitch offering just inside the rightfield foul pole.

Texas A&M (41-13, 13-11) responded with two runs in the bottom half of the first inning. Brandon Hicks hit a leadoff single and scored on single up the middle by Ben Feltner. Feltner moved to second on the throw home, stole third base and scored when Luke Anders singled through the left side of a drawn-in Horns' infield, staking A&M to a 2-1 lead.

The Aggies tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the third inning. With two outs, Blake Stouffer doubled to the gap in left centerfield. Anders followed with a two-run home run over the leftfield fence, inflating A&M's cushion to 4-1.

Texas started its comeback in the sixth inning. Danks led off the frame with a single to leftfield and Kyle Russell walked to start the inning. A fielder's choice groundout by Wheeless put runners at the corners and Bradley Suttle doubled to the wall in left centerfield, plating Danks to trim the lead to 4-2.

Randy Boone (4-6) picked up the win with two scoreless innings of relief. He allowed one hit and two walks, one intentional, while fanning three Aggies.

Thebeau (2-5) was saddled with the loss for the Aggies. He allowed two runs one one hit and three walks, one intentional, while striking out one over 1.1 innings.

The State Farm Lone Star Showdown resumes Saturday with a 6:05 p.m. contest at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

aggies were game, but in the end got treated exactly how aggies should.

johngateswhiteley
05-19-2007, 05:14 AM
No. 7 Baseball rallies late to top Texas A&M, 6-4

Nick Peoples

· Box score

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- No. 7 Texas scored two runs in both the seventh and ninth innings to post a come-from-behind 6-4 win over No. 9 Texas A&M in Big 12 Conference baseball action Friday evening at Olsen Field.

With the win in the first game of the State Farm Lone Star Showdown, the Longhorns earned a share of the Big 12 regular-season title and posted their sixth consecutive 40-win season. Texas can claim the No. 1 seed at next week's Big 12 Conference Tournament with either one win in one of their last two games or one Missouri loss in one of its last two games.

Nick Peoples started the game-winning rally in the ninth inning with an infield single. He stole second base and advanced to third on a throwing error by Missouri catcher Josh Stinson. With one out, Travis Tucker drew a walk to put runners on the corners. Peoples scored the game-winning run on a wild pitch by Missouri closer Kyle Thebeau. Another throwing error by the Stinson allowed Tucker to advance to third on the play and he scored an insurance run on a sacrifice fly by Chance Wheeless, giving Texas a 6-4 lead.

Trailing 4-2 in the seventh inning, Peoples also started the Longhorns' game-tying rally. He singled to centerfield with one out. In a nine-pitch at-bat, Chais Fuller hit a double to the wall in leftfield, plating Peoples. With two outs, Fuller scored the equalizer on a single to leftfield by Jordan Danks.

Texas (40-14, 19-6) drew first blood in the top of the first inning when Kyle Russell delivered a first-pitch offering just inside the rightfield foul pole.

Texas A&M (41-13, 13-11) responded with two runs in the bottom half of the first inning. Brandon Hicks hit a leadoff single and scored on single up the middle by Ben Feltner. Feltner moved to second on the throw home, stole third base and scored when Luke Anders singled through the left side of a drawn-in Horns' infield, staking A&M to a 2-1 lead.

The Aggies tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the third inning. With two outs, Blake Stouffer doubled to the gap in left centerfield. Anders followed with a two-run home run over the leftfield fence, inflating A&M's cushion to 4-1.

Texas started its comeback in the sixth inning. Danks led off the frame with a single to leftfield and Kyle Russell walked to start the inning. A fielder's choice groundout by Wheeless put runners at the corners and Bradley Suttle doubled to the wall in left centerfield, plating Danks to trim the lead to 4-2.

Randy Boone (4-6) picked up the win with two scoreless innings of relief. He allowed one hit and two walks, one intentional, while fanning three Aggies.

Thebeau (2-5) was saddled with the loss for the Aggies. He allowed two runs one one hit and three walks, one intentional, while striking out one over 1.1 innings.

The State Farm Lone Star Showdown resumes Saturday with a 6:05 p.m. contest at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

aggies were game, but in the end got treated exactly how aggies should.

eat shit cocksucker.

leemajors
05-19-2007, 10:02 PM
that's 2, go for the sweep tomorrow.

dallaskd
05-19-2007, 11:03 PM
UT owns..

leemajors
05-20-2007, 09:18 PM
swept.

Mike Tirico
05-21-2007, 12:10 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20061016ho_mnf_450.jpg

degenerate_gambler
05-21-2007, 08:35 AM
very surprised at how much a&m truly sucks when they have to play on the road.

fuck 'em. disparity of talent between the two is obvious. not to mention coaching.

on to bigger things like trying to get back to omaha.

samikeyp
05-21-2007, 09:54 AM
eat shit cocksucker.

I sense...anger.

Mike Tirico
05-21-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20061016ho_mnf_450.jpg

degenerate_gambler
05-21-2007, 10:54 AM
you're a short little fucker aren't ya?

Mike Tirico
05-21-2007, 11:01 AM
you're a short little fucker aren't ya?
Uncalled for

Ballcox
05-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Wow, I thought we could probably get 2 out of 3 in this series, but wasn't expecting a sweep. Looks like my Horns are really on a roll heading into the Big XII tournament and beyond.

I definitely think this team is capable of winning another national championship, especially since their bullpen has come together. Helps to have great defense and hitting to go along with the pitching.

Maybe next time ags. :toast

BeerIsGood!
05-21-2007, 01:06 PM
eat shit cocksucker.

05/20/2007

Baseball defeats Texas A&M for a State Farm Lone Star Showdown sweep

AUSTIN, Texas -- Sophomore left-hander Austin Wood allowed one run over eight innings to lead No. 7 Texas to a 9-1 win over No. 9 Texas A&M. With the win, the Longhorns recorded a three-game sweep over the Aggies in the State Farm Lone Star Showdown.

Wood (7-1) scattered five runs and one walk while fanning two over his eight innings to earn the win. Pat McCrory wrapped up the game by retiring all three batters he faced, including two strikeouts.

Texas (42-14, 21-6) did most of its damage in the bottom of the fourth inning. Russell Moldenhauer broke the scoring seal with a sacrifice fly. Preston Clark added a two-run home run and Jordan Danks capped off the rally with a three-run home run.

The Longhorns tacked on three more runs in the bottom of the sixth. The rally was highlighted by a two-run single by Bradley Suttle, staking the Longhorns to a 9-0 lead.

Texas A&M (41-15, 13-13) scored its lone run in the eighth inning when Brian Ruggiano touched home on a wild pitch.

Chance Wheeless, Suttle, Chais Fuller and Travis Tucker all had two hits for Texas. Danks went 1-for-3 with one home run, two runs scored and three RBI.

Craig Stinson went 2-for-3 to lead the Aggies' offensive attack.

Scott Migl (6-3) was saddled with the loss for A&M. He allowed five runs on five hits and three walks, while striking out one over 3.2 innings.

Texas, the league regular-season champion, kicks off the Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship Wednesday with a 10 a.m. contest against Kansas State at the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City.

It's ok JGW - I'm sure you have a nice stockpile of pics and posters of freckly bitches to console you.

degenerate_gambler
05-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Maybe next time ags. :toast

I doubt it.

Actually Nicholson & Newman did their jobs and pitched two good games. Aggies very bad bullpen and a key error Sat. opened the door for the Horns.

And yesterday....well it was just bombs away.

johngateswhiteley
05-21-2007, 01:42 PM
ridiculous, can't believe A&M did not win the first two games...fucking hell.

StylisticS
05-21-2007, 05:53 PM
National Championship #7 coming soon.

johngateswhiteley
05-26-2007, 07:40 PM
and yet, A&M won when it mattered. eat shit t.u...

leemajors
05-26-2007, 08:44 PM
and yet, A&M won when it mattered. eat shit t.u...
UT had pretty much locked up a top 8 seed, and still got to the final...

johngateswhiteley
05-26-2007, 09:20 PM
UT had pretty much locked up a top 8 seed, and still got to the final...

huh? t.u. isn't in the final, A&M is.

SrA Husker
05-26-2007, 09:48 PM

regardless of the fact you're making fun of a stupid whorn, I hope you realize that the big 12 tournament is essentially worthless baseball.

johngateswhiteley
05-26-2007, 09:52 PM
regardless of the fact you're making fun of a stupid whorn, I hope you realize that the big 12 tournament is essentially worthless baseball.

yeah...thats why the teams play it, jaggoff.

lemming
05-26-2007, 10:09 PM
doh.

lemming
05-26-2007, 10:10 PM
lay off the corn dipshit.

leemajors
05-26-2007, 10:49 PM

ahh, i thought 3 teams were 2-1 in that bracket. horns would have gone to the final if so. 3 team tiebreaker was seed.

johngateswhiteley
05-26-2007, 11:36 PM
ahh, i thought 3 teams were 2-1 in that bracket. horns would have gone to the final if so. 3 team tiebreaker was seed.

nope, A&M is in b/c they beat t.u. and then t.u. beat nebraska.

SrA Husker
05-27-2007, 12:54 AM
yeah...thats why the teams play it, jaggoff.

It's just like the basketball tournament. By the time the games are played, the ncaa tournament seeding is essentially done. texas could of gone 0-3 this weekend and still gotten a national seed. the game against nebraska had absolutely no meaning since they had already been eliminated from the championship game. So they had nothing to play for but pride.

No one cares about who wins the conference tournament, regular season champs get the bragging rights. Especially since no manager wants to get anyone injured right before the road to omaha starts up.

johngateswhiteley
05-27-2007, 01:32 AM
It's just like the basketball tournament. By the time the games are played, the ncaa tournament seeding is essentially done. texas could of gone 0-3 this weekend and still gotten a national seed. the game against nebraska had absolutely no meaning since they had already been eliminated from the championship game. So they had nothing to play for but pride.

No one cares about who wins the conference tournament, regular season champs get the bragging rights. Especially since no manager wants to get anyone injured right before the road to omaha starts up.

thats the most idiotic thing you have ever posted.

gtownspur
05-27-2007, 12:42 PM
The Knobraska CornFuskers.

Ballcox
05-28-2007, 09:49 AM
jgw, you are truley an idiot, from top to bottom....are you actually able to make cereal or tie your shoes in the morning? I'm surprised if you're able to.

Nobody gives a shit about who won the tournament, it just doesn't matter much. Using your logic, if UT wins the Big XII basketball tournament next year and you guys when the regular season title, then we're better or more 'clutch' because of that?

Give me a fucking break, CHAMPIONS win the regular season title, that's what you play all those games for during the SEASON, remember? Get a fucking clue, please?

johngateswhiteley
05-28-2007, 06:33 PM
jgw, you are truley an idiot, from top to bottom....are you actually able to make cereal or tie your shoes in the morning? I'm surprised if you're able to.

Nobody gives a shit about who won the tournament, it just doesn't matter much. Using your logic, if UT wins the Big XII basketball tournament next year and you guys when the regular season title, then we're better or more 'clutch' because of that?

Give me a fucking break, CHAMPIONS win the regular season title, that's what you play all those games for during the SEASON, remember? Get a fucking clue, please?

no, you're an idiot...and back to your assuming ways. btw, if it didn't matter i don't think you'd be getting your panties in such a bunch, bitch.

MajorMike
05-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Ok, I agree, it is completely the only pillar to take teams on.

For example, take UT. Ranked #6 or #7 the week before the tourney. They don't make it to the final game, yet move up to the nat'l #4 seed.

Completely relevant.

Ballcox
05-29-2007, 09:01 AM
no, you're an idiot...and back to your assuming ways. btw, if it didn't matter i don't think you'd be getting your panties in such a bunch, bitch.

Assuming? It's a fucking fact jgw, don't you get it? Are you really that dumb? I used to think you had some degree of intelligence, but I would think that someone who supposedly follows college sports understands that a regular season championship is considered more valuable/prestigious than a tournament champ.

Obviously you don't get it, yet I'm sure if this situation was reversed you would be all over my ass if I was giving props to my Longhorns for winning the Big XII tournament, saying we were the best or most 'clutch' team. You are the most completely full of shit person on this college board, that's something I don't have to make assumptions about.