PDA

View Full Version : Have the Suns replaced the Mavericks as the Spurs' nemesis?

zocool16
05-18-2007, 01:55 AM
I think so. What about other Spurs' fans?

...and to Mavs' fans, are the Spurs still ur No. 1 nemesis?

AnkleBreaker21
05-18-2007, 01:57 AM
no way its still the mav's

Kori Ellis
05-18-2007, 01:58 AM
No. The Suns are just the Spurs current opponent.

J.T.
05-18-2007, 02:00 AM
Please. The media is only over-hyping this because the Suns keep whining about us beating them up and stealing their lunch money.

jmard5
05-18-2007, 02:02 AM
Nope. How ironic that a lowkey and boring San Antonio team is dragged into the spotlight because of the Suns' need for media attention.

BeerIsGood!
05-18-2007, 02:04 AM
Suns are the flavor of the moment. Due to the geographical closeness of SA and Dallas, the Mavs will be the biggest rival until one or both goes to completely sucking again.

2centsworth
05-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Lakers are number one with Dallas being a distant second. Suns don't even pop up on the radar. Even the Jazz come before the Suns.

L.I.T
05-18-2007, 02:10 AM
Not even close.

timvp
05-18-2007, 02:15 AM
I think this series saw the birth of a rivalry. Before this series, the Spurs owned the Suns too much for it to be considered one.

If we are talking all-time rivals, I think the list for the Spurs goes:

1. Utah Jazz
2. Los Angeles Lakers

Shaolin-Style
05-18-2007, 02:16 AM
Grudge wise? IMO yes.

All around competitively? No way.

2centsworth
05-18-2007, 02:23 AM
I think this series saw the birth of a rivalry. Before this series, the Spurs owned the Suns too much for it to be considered one.

If we are talking all-time rivals, I think the list for the Spurs goes:

1. Utah Jazz
2. Los Angeles Lakers

were you here during the 80s? It's not even close, Lakers by far are the Spurs #1 Rival.

zocool16
05-18-2007, 02:28 AM
I think if the Spurs close them out tonight then it won't be such a big deal... but should the Suns force a game 7.... damn who knows what the heck will happen? one thing is for sure, another page in Spurs' history will be written tomorrow. I hope it's a good one

onlooker
05-18-2007, 02:32 AM
If the suns win the series and the championship, I would think so.

timvp
05-18-2007, 02:39 AM
were you here during the 80s? It's not even close, Lakers by far are the Spurs #1 Rival.

The Spurs have made the Lakers cry. The only crying ever done with regard to the Jazz has been in San Antonio.

BeerIsGood!
05-18-2007, 02:50 AM
The Spurs have made the Lakers cry. The only crying ever done with regard to the Jazz has been in San Antonio.

Hopefully that ends in 2007

Tek_XX
05-18-2007, 03:07 AM
In terms of rivals it has to be Dallas at the moment. I doubt the Lakers would even acknowledge the Spurs as a legitimate rival.

mikekim
05-18-2007, 03:26 AM
whoaaa...no. I hate the mavs way more than the suns. The suns just seem like a pesky little brother who follows you around and wants to play one on one with you. Then cries when you play him.

Strike
05-18-2007, 03:30 AM
whoaaa...no. I hate the mavs way more than the suns. The suns just seem like a pesky little brother who follows you around and wants to play one on one with you. Then cries when you play him.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/strike019/Borat-ISNIICE-1.jpg

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2007, 03:37 AM
I think if the Spurs close them out tonight then it won't be such a big deal... but should the Suns force a game 7.... damn who knows what the heck will happen? one thing is for sure, another page in Spurs' history will be written tomorrow. I hope it's a good one
I agree.

A game 7 can do that.

I hope we close them out tomorrow. It's easier as an NBA fan, when the blood isn't boiling when two teams play.
I really hated the Mavs after they beat us last season. Couldn't even watch their regular season games without rooting against them.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2007, 03:37 AM
That's exactly what they are. Nash wishes he could be like Duncan as an MVP.

ImpartialObserver
05-18-2007, 03:42 AM
What team considers the Spurs their #1 rival?

sprrs
05-18-2007, 03:44 AM
No but damn it if they aren't trying.

MajorMike
05-18-2007, 07:25 AM
The Suns have to beat us before we can call them a rival.

I'm sure to THEM, we are public enemy #1, but it isn't the same way back.

Sort of like how atm's 31 rival is UT, but UT considers uo theirs.

DarrinS
05-18-2007, 07:53 AM
I have never considered the Suns a rival.

It was the Jazz in the 90's.

It was the Lakers in 2000's.

I thought it was going to be the Mavs next, but looks like they need to blow things up and rebuild.

Suns? Nah.

NBA Junkie
05-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Dallas by far considering proximity and that the overall series has been even the last few years with the last dozen games (except one) being decided by less than 8 points.

Gros Membres!
05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Please. The media is only over-hyping this because the Suns keep whining about us beating them up and stealing their lunch money.
Agreed. I really point all of this hype toward Amare's big mouth and the fact that he is scared of Bowen and the Spurs. My God, and just because the Spursin unwilling to roll over, actually plays defense, and has a strategy to beat a one-dimensional team like Phoenix. It's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever seen in sports.

Mavs, on the other hand, are a true, in-state rivalry. AJ and Finley are interesting pieces of the puzzle here. Cuban's insults of the Riverwalk. My general hatred of the malaise that is Dallas (despite the fact that I was born there). As I've said all along, Phoenix is just another NBA fad. Keep moving folks...nothing to see here.

Let's bounce these fools tonight.

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2007, 08:55 AM

I think there is a difference betweens fans "nemesis" and how the Spurs actually view their opponents.

Spurs have been a contender for so long that they no longer have that "underdog" attitude with the goal of just assembling a team with the best individual pieces they can find and always thinking that "missing piece" will put them over the top.

Spurs management has made decisions in the past that I sometimes haven't understood until a couple of years later. Popular player have been allowed to walk for more money elsewhere and are replaced by players with different skill sets.

They literally seem to look ahead and try to project who the "teams to beat' will be for the next couple of years and literallly try to create a matchup team to counter them.

Every year they go into the season with the unified goal of winning the O'Brien...the goal is not beating Dallas,Phoenix, Lakers etc. specifically, but they try to assemble a team that will matchup with the team they think will be the biggest threat and "go with what they got" against the rest.

Sometimes they guess wrong. The hand-check changed the game and Spurs had to be tweaked. Who could have ever predicted that
Shaq would leave the Lakers and move East? That left the Spurs with a toolbag that needed to be tweaked again.

Spurs just keep the same core group and keep evolving. Thats why the Spurs may be viewed as the main rival by several other teams (notably Dallas and Phoenix now) but they seem to just keep the common thread of playing good solid defense and trying to tweak to match the evolving offensive game with the goal of ultimately winning the championship every year...

no wonder everyone else likes to hate the Spurs LOL.

SenorSpur
05-18-2007, 08:58 AM
No. There is still more venom and hatred toward the Mavs. Besides, the Spurs have not yet settled the score with the Mavs for last years WCSF series loss.

degenerate_gambler
05-18-2007, 09:05 AM
1a) Dallas
1b) LA
2) Utah

MadDog73
05-18-2007, 09:13 AM
OK, people are talking about too different things here.

There are historical rivalries and current rivalries.

The Jazz, Lakers, and even the Suns can be considered historic rivalries.

But currently, the only team that have eliminated us in the Playoffs are the Mavericks. Until the Suns beat us in a series, they can not be considered "rivals", although I suppose that Suns fans would see if differently...

Otherwise, the Nuggets would have to be considered rivals, because we have consistently beaten them in recent playoffs as well.

naico
05-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel ll No

samikeyp
05-18-2007, 09:15 AM
No.

bdictjames
05-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Nope.

Sorry, Sun Fans, you're way out of our league. :spin

MavericksDynasty
05-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Are you kidding? A better question to ask is if the Suns have replaced the Spurs as the #1 threat to Dallas.

Dallas Mavericks own the NBA, except for the refs who have screwed us in our last two playoff series. Once Cuban buys the commissioner's office from Stern, we'll have that covered too.

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Yeah, y'all sure owned the Warriors...

:lmao

RedWingz
05-18-2007, 09:23 AM
You own the NBA???????? :drunk :downspin: :elephant :sleep :wakeup

MavericksDynasty
05-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Yeah, y'all sure owned the Warriors...

:lmao

The refs owned us unfortunately. In a fairly officiated game, Golden State has no chance.

Cry Havoc
05-18-2007, 09:27 AM
No. The Suns are like the annoying little buffalo gnats (we have them bad here) hovering over your left ear, or the sweat bee parading around on your hand in the middle of summer. Maaaaaaaybe the stupid insect has malaria, maaaaaaaaaaybe it has Ebola. Other than that, you're pretty skippy, and just more annoyed than anything else.

The Suns have not shown even the potential to be a championship caliber team. If they get knocked off tonight, they will never have pushed a team to even game 7 in the WCF. They like the Buffalo Bills light edition. 4-1, 4-2, and 4-2 losses (if it happens tonight) would pretty well write the Suns off as contenders until they retool. And since the Spurs are close to winning a title every year, the Suns aren't that big of a deal.

Now if they force a game 7 tonight, things will begin to change in that respect. But I don't think it's gonna happen.

MadDog73
05-18-2007, 09:27 AM
people still take MavericksDynasty seriously?

Everything he says is with tongue inserted fully in cheek.

monosylab1k
05-18-2007, 09:28 AM
The Mavericks' biggest nemesis is the Mavericks. After that it's the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
05-18-2007, 09:29 AM
To be a "nemesis" the Spurs actually have had to lose a recent playoff series to the opponent, so that naturally precludes the Suns from consideration.

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2007, 09:35 AM
MavsDynasty, did you see this today?

dallas craigslist > sporting goods > Dallas Mavericks

Avoid scams & fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer,
cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee

please flag with care : [miscategorized] [prohibited] [spam] [discussion] [best of]

email this posting to a friend
NBA franchise for sale
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-05-18, 8:22AM CDT

Gutless, choking NBA franchise for sale. May need some major renovation. Prime component tends to break down in playoffs.

Make offer.

For more information contact Mark Cuban @ http://www.blogmaverick.com/

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 333375788

MavericksDynasty
05-18-2007, 09:38 AM
MavsDynasty, did you see this today?

No, but I did see this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1OmE3B-s8ow&mode=related&search

monosylab1k
05-18-2007, 09:44 AM
No, but I did see this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1OmE3B-s8ow&mode=related&search

God Almighty, that drives me insane more than it makes me happy...seeing Dirk just going right at Duncan and attacking the basket and laying it in time after time....WHERE THE FUCK WAS THAT THIS YEAR?!?!?!?!!

...it is fun to see replays of Duncan, Parker, and Finley going SPURS PALMS UP! after the Manu foul though.

dnsa
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM

HELLLLLLL NO! I still hate the MAVS.

MadDog73
05-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Honestly, I don't even hate the Mavs. What, they eked out a win against the Spurs, but then lost 4 in a row to the Heat (who didn't even make it out of the 1st round this year).

Come back to me after the Mavs have won a title, or at least have beaten the Spurs again...

suns in 7
05-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Suns are the flavor of the moment. Due to the geographical closeness of SA and Dallas, the Mavs will be the biggest rival until one or both goes to completely sucking again.

When you don't have Duncan you both will be sucking again. The West hasn't really been a threat since Shaq left LA. The East domination will continue.

ancestron
05-18-2007, 09:55 AM
:lol

ancestron
05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
When you don't have Duncan you both will be sucking again. The West hasn't really been a threat since Shaq left LA. The East domination will continue.

East domination?? do you even watch the NBA? :lol

monosylab1k
05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
When we don't have Nash we will be sucking again. The West hasn't really been a threat since Shaq left LA. The East domination will continue.

fixed

MadDog73
05-18-2007, 10:04 AM
East domination?? do you even watch the NBA? :lol

Last three Championships, 2 have been won by the East.

And Detroit has a good chance to win it all this year.

But Shaq is not the reason for Eastern dominance, it's every Western team except San Antonio sucking in the Finals...

jacobdrj
05-18-2007, 10:05 AM
@ this point, the Spurs have no nemisis... Lakers are no more.

MavericksDynasty
05-18-2007, 10:08 AM
@ this point, the Spurs have no nemisis... Lakers are no more.

Sorry, but the Mavericks are your owner now. Only two teams have sent Tim Duncan home: Shaq/Kobe and Dirk. Don't ever forget that. Only thing that can stop the Mavericks are three guys in gray shirts: First the Finals and then Golden State.

Man of Steel
05-18-2007, 10:08 AM
For some reason--I seem to hate the Suns and their fans even more than the Mavs.

But that will probably change.

I don't remember the Mavs calling in bomb threats.

I don't remember little old ladies at Mav games flipping the bird to our players.

I don't remember them throwing water bottles at players after games.

I don't remember them trying to get our players thrown out of games for really stupid reasons.

And believe it or not--I like AJ over D and Toney.

suns in 7
05-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Last three Championships, 2 have been won by the East.

And Detroit has a good chance to win it all this year.

But Shaq is not the reason for Eastern dominance, it's every Western team except San Antonio sucking in the Finals...

No, Shaq was the reason for the Western dominance. The Pistons have been the only consistant threat in the East whereas the West could be won by 4 different teams every year.

MadDog73
05-18-2007, 10:18 AM
No, Shaq was the reason for the Western dominance. The Pistons have been the only consistant threat in the East whereas the West could be won by 4 different teams every year.

Shaq, Kobe and Tim are the reasons for past Western Dominance, if you want to be honest about it.

Now Shaq is old and Kobe is alone, Tim is the only Dominant player left in the NBA.

GrandeDavid
05-18-2007, 10:33 AM
I think that there will be some intense matchups between these specific Spurs and Suns teams carrying over into at least next year, but I wouldn't consider the Suns a true rival yet. I would go with in any particular order:

Utah
Dallas
L.A. Lakers

Dingle Barry
05-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Suns rival the Spurs for coolest uniforms, certainly not for league dominance.

Mavsman
05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Sorry, but the Mavericks are your owner now. Only two teams have sent Tim Duncan home: Shaq/Kobe and Dirk. Don't ever forget that. Only thing that can stop the Mavericks are three guys in gray shirts: First the Finals and then Golden State.

I agree w/the Finals... but GS was our bad. Mavs over Spurs last year was our finals & we took the Heat lightly after winning the 1st 2 games

I'd take Duncan over any Center. He's what makes the SPURS go! FINISH OFF the coach w/three 1st Names. :clap

Amare_32
05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't considered this a rivalry. These players despite everything that has happen in this series get along with each other. I doubt you see the Suns pull a "Detroit" and walk off the court if they lose without congraluting the Spurs on the win. I doubt that Nash will allow them to pull a stunt like that.

nkdlunch
05-18-2007, 01:47 PM
no, they are the Spurs bitches until they beat us in a playoff series. which is NOT gonna happen this year.

DudleyDawson
05-18-2007, 01:50 PM
No. The Mavs have actually beaten us in a series, and actually won the western conference.

spursfan09
05-18-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't considered this a rivalry. These players despite everything that has happen in this series get along with each other. I doubt you see the Suns pull a "Detroit" and walk off the court if they lose without congraluting the Spurs on the win. I doubt that Nash will allow them to pull a stunt like that.

I got to admit, its hard to really hate a team that has Nash as thier leader. I would love Nash on the Spurs. I've never liked another play that wasn't a spur so much. Now hopefully these words don't come back and bite me in the ass if the Spurs lose tonight. Go Spurs go!

Spurs>mavs
05-18-2007, 02:13 PM
nope. the Mavs have beaten us in the PLayoffs.

The suns have not with there current team.

suns in 7
05-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Shaq, Kobe and Tim are the reasons for past Western Dominance, if you want to be honest about it.

Now Shaq is old and Kobe is alone, Tim is the only Dominant player left in the NBA.

I think the Sports Reporters call him the best player that nobody talks about. I guess that is the small market curse. He is very good.

dav4463
05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
mavericks are now irrelevant. their window of opportunity is closed.

MadDog73
05-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I think the Sports Reporters call him the best player that nobody talks about. I guess that is the small market curse. He is very good.

:toast

I'll drink to that!

CubanMustGo
05-18-2007, 03:41 PM
1a Dallas
1b Lakers
everyone else