PDA

View Full Version : JohnnyBlaze

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 11:25 AM
I noticed you have braces. How long do you have to have them on and did you get any of that covered by insurance? I ask because I'm about to get braces, in fact tomorrow is my appt. to get the moldings done. just curious!

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-18-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm sure insurance would have covered it, but I have none.

As far as time goes, I'll have had them on about 3.5 years when I get them taken off, but I couldn't stay on schedule all the time because I was in DC, San Marcos and San Angelo for a long time.

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm sure insurance would have covered it, but I have none.

As far as time goes, I'll have had them on about 3.5 years when I get them taken off, but I couldn't stay on schedule all the time because I was in DC, San Marcos and San Angelo for a long time.

were you meant to have it for 3.5 years or is it cause you couldn't stay on schedule? that's a long time! :( i hope I dont have to keep them that long lol. i have insurance and i'll be paying about $2,900. I figure that's an alright price. so any advice/tips about having braces? I know it's gonna suck. lol

Shelly
05-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Spurfect, I think insurance covers part of it. I will be taking my son over the summer to get braces and everyone I've talked to said part of it's covered.

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Spurfect, I think insurance covers part of it. I will be taking my son over the summer to get braces and everyone I've talked to said part of it's covered.

yeah i think that without insurance, it's about $4K and I'll be paying $2,900. so yeah I think that's pretty good!

Shelly
05-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I wish I never threw out my retainers years ago. I have one tooth that shifted a bit on top. I'm sure I'm the only one that notices. When I take my son in, I think I may ask about getting a retainer or something for myself.

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I wish I never threw out my retainers years ago. I have one tooth that shifted a bit on top. I'm sure I'm the only one that notices. When I take my son in, I think I may ask about getting a retainer or something for myself.

how long do you have to wear a retrainer after braces?

leemajors
05-18-2007, 11:47 AM
depends on how much your teeth need to be moved. i had mine on for about a year when i was 12 or so, but i only needed a minor adjustment. my dad's had some patients who have had them for 2-3 years, but those are usually fairly extreme cases. i think i remember him saying that you need less and less checkups these days, that would be a good thing.

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 11:49 AM
depends on how much your teeth need to be moved. i had mine on for about a year when i was 12 or so, but i only needed a minor adjustment. my dad's had some patients who have had them for 2-3 years, but those are usually fairly extreme cases. i think i remember him saying that you need less and less checkups these days, that would be a good thing.

mine is major. haha. i figure 2 1/2 years to 3. though I hope it's closer to 2. i may need jaw surgery as well :(
I think the orthodontist told me check ups are once a month.. i can handle that.

Shelly
05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Honestly, I don't think you should ever stop wearing them. I only wore mine at night cuz I would lisp if I wore them. I got my braces off when I was 14 and probably stopped wearing my retainers after a few years. I think when my wisdom teeth came in when I was around 17, it shifted my teeth some. I also had to have 4 teeth pulled, but I don't know if they do that much anymore.

Anyway, when I would occasionally wear them here and there, my mouth would be so sore, which tells me my teeth had moved some.

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Honestly, I don't think you should ever stop wearing them. I only wore mine at night cuz I would lisp if I wore them. I got my braces off when I was 14 and probably stopped wearing my retainers after a few years. I think when my wisdom teeth came in when I was around 17, it shifted my teeth some. I also had to have 4 teeth pulled, but I don't know if they do that much anymore.

Anyway, when I would occasionally wear them here and there, my mouth would be so sore, which tells me my teeth had moved some.

they did pull a tooth and will probably have to pull more. it's going to suck i know it :(. i didn't know you had to wear the retainer for like ever, lol. but i guess it's worth it to have good teeth :D

E20
05-18-2007, 12:19 PM
http://www.holmesdale.net/images/features/lookalikes_butthead.jpg
I noticed you have braces, I have braces too.

Shelly
05-18-2007, 12:24 PM
they did pull a tooth and will probably have to pull more. it's going to suck i know it :(. i didn't know you had to wear the retainer for like ever, lol. but i guess it's worth it to have good teeth :D

Well, maybe not FOREVER! I do think in my case, my wisdom teeth factored into it some. But like I said, I'm the only one that notices it and I notice it more in pictures.

Cuz you know how we like to zero in on our flaws and not the good things :lol

E20
05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
I just wear my retainer at night when I go to sleep, but my Doctor told me I had to wear it for 2 years straight full time, then only at night, which is a load of BS and he kept asking me to come back for more appointments to charge me more, fucking scammer.

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Well, maybe not FOREVER! I do think in my case, my wisdom teeth factored into it some. But like I said, I'm the only one that notices it and I notice it more in pictures.

Cuz you know how we like to zero in on our flaws and not the good things :lol

i know. that's why i hate people taking pics of me, cause i hate smiling. i'm gonna hate smiling for another 2 1/2 to 3 years...lol but.. hopefully after that i'll be a little bit happier.
then I'll start complaining about my freckles :lol

Spurminator
05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
I still have a permanent retainer behind my bottom teeth. That's probably the way to go. Flossing's a little more complicated but you get used to it.

tlongII
05-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I've never had to wear braces.

Of course I don't have any teeth either...

Shelly
05-18-2007, 12:32 PM
I still have a permanent retainer behind my bottom teeth. That's probably the way to go. Flossing's a little more complicated but you get used to it.

These were the kind of retainers I had.

http://www.archwired.com/images/My_Retainers.jpg

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 12:34 PM
These were the kind of retainers I had.

http://www.archwired.com/images/My_Retainers.jpg

they look scary. lol

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 12:35 PM

yeah, that's kinda what i want to avoid.

Shelly
05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
i know. that's why i hate people taking pics of me, cause i hate smiling. i'm gonna hate smiling for another 2 1/2 to 3 years...lol but.. hopefully after that i'll be a little bit happier.
then I'll start complaining about my freckles :lol

:lol

It doesn't get better as you get older! :lol

My sister had to wear braces twice. We were living in Luxembourg at the time and the orthodontist she went to, while having trained in the USA, had very outdated methods. He pushed her teeth in so far that when she smiled from the side her teeth tilted in. When we moved back to the states, she had to go through another round of braces for 2.5 years, cuz he messed them up so badly.

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 12:41 PM
:lol

It doesn't get better as you get older! :lol

My sister had to wear braces twice. We were living in Luxembourg at the time and the orthodontist she went to, while having trained in the USA, had very outdated methods. He pushed her teeth in so far that when she smiled from the side her teeth tilted in. When we moved back to the states, she had to go through another round of braces for 2.5 years, cuz he messed them up so badly.

oh wow that's horrible. your poor sister... i'd hate to have to go through that TWICE. yeah my sister right now has them. i see her when she gets the braces tightened and she's in pain.. ugh not looking foward to it. just doesn't look fun at all.

ObiwanGinobili
05-18-2007, 12:43 PM

so do the guys pay you more $$ for that?

Shelly
05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
oh wow that's horrible. your poor sister... i'd hate to have to go through that TWICE. yeah my sister right now has them. i see her when she gets the braces tightened and she's in pain.. ugh not looking foward to it. just doesn't look fun at all.

Advil will become your friend, with a chaser of Tequila!

They've come a long way with braces. Back in the dark ages, all we had were full metal brackets! I also had to wear a headgear (but only at night, thank God!).

LuvBones
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
I noticed you have braces. How long do you have to have them on and did you get any of that covered by insurance? I ask because I'm about to get braces, in fact tomorrow is my appt. to get the moldings done. just curious!They didn't already tell you how long you have to wear them? Maybe when you go in tomorrow they will. Good luck!! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

Spurminator
05-18-2007, 12:50 PM
so do the guys pay you more $$ for that?

:lmao :lmao

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 12:58 PM
They didn't already tell you how long you have to wear them? Maybe when you go in tomorrow they will. Good luck!! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

nope he didn't tell me yet. i guess tomorrow he will, and also tell me if I need to have some teeth pulled. i may have to get some out from the bottom :(

Mixability
05-18-2007, 02:29 PM
It might be much more expensive, but have you considered Invisalign?

leemajors
05-18-2007, 02:39 PM

i wear one of those on top as a mouthguard at night to keep me from grinding my teeth.

LuvBones
05-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Doesn't Manu wear invisalign? His teeth are looking great! :)

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 02:45 PM

I think Invisalign was like $6000 :wow

Shelly
05-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Plus...does Invisalign correct major problems? I always thought it was more for people who's teeth weren't that bad.

I had a cross-bite (hence, the head gear) and I don't think it could correct that, but I may be wrong.

Spurfect
05-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Plus...does Invisalign correct major problems? I always thought it was more for people who's teeth weren't that bad.

I had a cross-bite (hence, the head gear) and I don't think it could correct that, but I may be wrong.

yeah, I'd think so.. I'd think you would have to have your teeth already pretty straight. i dont think invisalign could fit my teeth right. lol

NorCal510
05-18-2007, 05:27 PM
:lmao johnny blaze the shit talker has braces @ age 30 ! :lol

batman2883
05-18-2007, 05:52 PM
I noticed you have braces. How long do you have to have them on and did you get any of that covered by insurance? I ask because I'm about to get braces, in fact tomorrow is my appt. to get the moldings done. just curious!
DAMN YOU'RE GONNA MAKE BRACES LOOK SEXY!!!

SequSpur
05-18-2007, 05:57 PM
eGG rOLL fORUM

batman2883
05-18-2007, 06:05 PM
With Saki