PDA

View Full Version : Elson = Worthless

AFBlue
05-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Discuss....

Chr!s Childs
05-18-2007, 09:02 PM
What's to discuss besides Elson being Worthless?

nkdlunch
05-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Oberto is a future allstar

OldDirtMcGirt
05-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Look on the bright side... at least you don't have Boris Diaw on your team.

violentkitten
05-18-2007, 10:10 PM
every team needs a boris, no?

Johnny RIngo
05-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Dammit. Elson's probably gonna play the whole 3rd.

zekes
05-19-2007, 12:16 AM
i think what hinders elson most is the fact he isnt a "lifelong" basketball player. since he's only been playing the game since he was 17, he just doesnt have the countless hours of experience to rely on in many situations that players who started playing the game much earlier have. he just doesnt know how to react in certain situations that are instinctive to most players and ends up looking clumsy when he's really quite athletic and nimble ie. going up and grabing rebounds with two hands, using his dribble (not travelling), defensive positioning, dunking, put backs around the basket, etc. im not saying this applies to all players who pick up the game in their late teens but in elson's case it does and he can't completely compensate for it with his athleticism alone.

michaelwcho
05-19-2007, 12:23 AM
i think what hinders elson most is the fact he isnt a "lifelong" basketball player. since he's only been playing the game since he was 17, he just doesnt have the countless hours of experience to rely on in many situations that players who started playing the game much earlier have. he just doesnt know how to react in certain situations that are instinctive to most players and ends up looking clumsy when he's really quite athletic and nimble ie. going up and grabing rebounds with two hands, using his dribble (not travelling), defensive positioning, dunking, put backs around the basket, etc. im not saying this applies to all players who pick up the game in their late teens but in elson's case it does and he can't completely compensate for it with his athleticism alone.
Didn't Duncan only start after his pool got destroyed in a hurricane?

anyway, the discussion about Elson must begin and end with "he sucks." We could really use an athletic finisher around the basket--if only he weren't so clumsy!

itzsoweezee
05-19-2007, 12:26 AM
yeah, he sucked at times this game. but there were some stretches where elson just played some great interior defense. with elson and duncan clogging the paint, the suns were getting NOTHING down low.

T Park
05-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Uh, Elson's good rotations, forced turnovers and what not didn't factor into tonight?

:lol ok.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Elson was great. Whoever ran two offensive plays for him should be kicked in the fucking nuts.

possessed
05-19-2007, 12:35 AM
There's nobody in the league better at touching the ball right before it goes out of bounds. Give the guy his props.

BeerIsGood!
05-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Elson did everything Pop could expect from him except grab onto the ball at times. With Oberto picking up a couple of stupid fouls and getting 4 early in the 3rd, Elson had to come up big to pull this one out. His rotations were strong, he was active as hell, and he finally showed his guts and willingness to fight to win.

BeerIsGood!
05-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Elson picked up the slack left by Horry's absence in this game. Dude picked up Horry nicely. Hardly worthless.

T Park
05-19-2007, 12:46 AM
agreed, he lost some rebounds, and screwed up the one play run for him.

But come on. He fought, he competed, his defensive rotations were good. He forced a couple turnovers.

Especially that one in the third where he forced barbosa out of bounds.

Elson ges a B tonight IMO.

celldweller
05-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Elson is in Fact WORTHLESS!!! It's like he himself kept the Suns in this series. He should of just put a damn Suns jersey on. It was like we were playing 4 on 6 Basketball when he was on the court!!!!

Kori Ellis
05-19-2007, 01:01 AM

Even if he started playing basketball late - he's 31 now. He should have caught up a while ago. He just isn't very good.

Man of Steel
05-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Nazr and Rasho were All-Stars compared to Elson.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Nazr and Rasho were All-Stars compared to Elson.
Yet neither of them could even get in the last five games of the western conference semis against a lower seeded team.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2007, 01:09 AM
this kills me about this guy. he always seems to be the last guy to hit the ball out of bounds...like he doesn't know how to grab the ball and hold it.
or how to not reach for it. He did that a ton of times, and it was slightly annoying. The rest of his play made up for it, though.

T Park
05-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Nazr and Rasho were All-Stars compared to Elson

Yet are doing what now?

Oh yeah, Nazr is a 12th man, and Rasho is in slovenia pounding his pud and enjoying his overpaid contract.

Borosai
05-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Elson has yet to make a major impact, BUT he owns the Pistons this year, so if the Spurs make it that far, you never know.

timvp
05-19-2007, 01:12 AM
If Elson would have pulled down half the rebounds he could have grabbed, this game would have been over in the third.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2007, 01:14 AM
If Elson would have pulled down half the rebounds he could have grabbed, this game would have been over in the third.
If he had just not reached for three or four of them the Spurs would have gotten possession. That's as good as a rebound. Seriously, he did play pretty well. I almost forgive him for that horrible missed dunk. Again, they should know better to run offensive plays for him like that. Those rolls to the basket are successful maybe 20 percent of the time with him.

timvp
05-19-2007, 01:16 AM
"Cisco Will Your Grab The Damn Ball?!?!?!" -- Tim Duncan

"Come on Cisco, damn" -- Tony Parker

Usually other Spurs don't say anything to him, but he was even unnerving his own teammates tonight.

ShoogarBear
05-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Cisco Kid was a friend of mine.

DDUBB1770
05-19-2007, 01:20 AM
I thought Elson played well considering he is Elson tonight.... He played well tried to rotate used he athleticism, what he does need to learn is playing the offensive boards and not thinking everything for him is not gonna be a tip slam, play more position and quit crashing like hes a 3!!! Anyone else feel that way?

timvp
05-19-2007, 01:21 AM
I thought Elson played well considering he is Elson

Best take of the thread.

Martin R
05-19-2007, 01:44 AM
Elson IS horrible. simple as that. HORRIBLE.
He is not NBA material. He does not deserve to be there.

M

T Park
05-19-2007, 01:47 AM
If hes not NBA material whats Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic?

Obstructed_View
05-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Best take of the thread.
That about sums it up.

zekes
05-19-2007, 01:48 AM
"Cisco Will Your Grab The Damn Ball?!?!?!" -- Tim Duncan

Usually other Spurs don't say anything to him, but he was even unnerving his own teammates tonight.

what did you think of the crowd tonight?

T Park
05-19-2007, 01:50 AM
"
Cisco Will Your Grab The Damn Ball?!?!?!" -- Tim Duncan

Usually other Spurs don't say anything to him, but he was even unnerving his own teammates tonight

Don't wanna quote what they said after his good play in the third?

wildbill2u
05-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Discuss....
Anyone who can make me wonder if we were right in getting rid of NAZR IS really really worthless. :madrun

my2sons
05-19-2007, 08:44 AM
isn't the 3rd qrtr the time the spurs took a 20 pt lead?

Marcus Bryant
05-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Sergei Karaulov this team needs you.

picnroll
05-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Elson was on the floor in the third when the Spurs made their seperation and did a nice job on D. He's not near great but now for some he sucks even when he's doing a pretty good job.

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Frankie is the man. You will be thankful for him vs the Jazz :smokin

The Dutch > The Turks

Slippy
05-19-2007, 09:23 AM
I feel bad for the likes of Elson and Orberto . It just seems they don't get much leeway when it comes to playing defense. If it's against marquee names and it's a tight play-off game , that leeway goes to zero tolerance

Harsh thread.

These two are way better options than Rasho and Nazi.

GrandeDavid
05-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Why "discuss"? There's nothing to discuss. He sucks, is uncoordinated, can't board, and is anxious as hell. Sucks ass.

sanka
05-19-2007, 09:40 AM
I really liked the Elson pickup. Early in the season he looked like exactly what the Spurs needed, someone fast and athletic in the middle. He really let down late in the season, and especially in the playoffs. To be honest for about 5 minutes there the Spurs would have been better off playing 4 on 5, I think Elson turned it over 3 possesions in a row.

I have hope though, If anyone can make that guy into a player Pop can. Look what he made Tony into, a guy who was skittish and dissappeared in the playoffs to a rock solid guard.

BrianBird
05-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Cisco = Crisco?

bigbendbruisebrother
05-19-2007, 10:09 AM
if only he weren't so clumsy!

Well, he's a damn sight better than Nazr in that department. At least he can catch the basketball.

The fact is athletic, skilled centers command salary cap busting dough in this league. Unless you're willing to part with Tony or Manu, I don't see SA getting another David Robinson anytime soon. Unless of course they do what they did with Tony or Manu and they twist one up out of the ether. Come on, RC, work your magic. :hungry:

beirmeistr
05-19-2007, 10:21 AM
There's nobody in the league better at touching the ball right before it goes out of bounds. Give the guy his props.
Hilarious, and true.

T Park
05-19-2007, 10:28 AM
If Jackie Butler had a work ethic in new york and wouldn't have shown up out of shape, he would be having Elson's minutes...

Martin R
05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
If hes not NBA material whats Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic?

same for them.

AFBlue
05-19-2007, 08:04 PM
My thoughts on Elson....

To quote Sir Charles: He "runs like a deer, jumps like a deer, and THINKS like a deer".

Just because he's athletic doesn't make him a basketball player. For a guy that I'm pretty sure has been a 7-footer for a while, he sure as hell doesn't know how to play like one. He has no post game to speak of and he can't even execute on a simple pick-n-roll.

Most importantly, when he's given time/space (which happens ALOT when you play next to the greatest PF of ALL TIME!) he travels, or blows dunks, or fumbles the ball out of bounds, or draws an offensive foul, or holds on to the ball too long negating his opportunity...truly I could go on, but the only thing he DOESN'T do is convert the opportunity into points.

While his defense is at least admirable and his shot-blocking nice at times, I just think the Spurs could do better by not having to rely on Elson for critical minutes. I know Pop doesn't want to put a guy like Butler in a high-stress situation like the playoffs...but honestly, how much worse could he be?

Sadly, I know this won't happen, so I'll have to go on hoping that Oberto can manage to stay out of foul trouble and that Horry doesn't get suspended again....just thought I'd voice my displeasure.

Deede4525
05-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Look on the bright side... at least you don't have Boris Diaw on your team.

:clap