PDA

View Full Version : Henry Abbott from True Hoop always gets it...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-19-2007, 12:12 AM
"I feel your pain, Phoenix fans. This is not a sweet night. My advice for an elimination night: eat. Eat a lot. It helps somehow, and you can still legally operate a motor vehicle afterwards. So, if you're a morose Suns fan, off you go to make that cheese toastie or whatever. You should go. Now. (You don't want to read the next paragraph.)

Nobody wants to hear this now, but I honestly don't believe David Stern affected this series all that much. I thought San Antonio was the better team almost the whole way through. Phoenix hung in there with a series of magnificent mini-miracles -- the exact things that make me love to watch this team. They made plays.

But they never cranked up their big shiny points machine. It was never systematic for the Suns at either end of the floor. It always felt like Mike D'Antoni was applying one strategy band aid after another. (Also, I might be the only one who thinks this, but I sincerely believe that San Antonio would have won a fairly called Game 4. This could have ended in five.)

If I ran the Suns, I'd think long and hard about spending one of Nash's few remaining good years fighting back to this same series, with the same roster, next year. I fear the same thing would happen again.

Assorted thoughts from watching the game:

* I mourn the two Game 7s we lost tonight. Not nearly enough buzzer beaters and Game 7s in this year's playoffs. I want Game 7s in every series that's left.
* The Game 6 victory shuts the door on at least one conspiracy theory I have heard in recent days: that the league set up the whole suspension controversy just to get us to a super highly rated weekend Game 7 grudge match.
* Jeff Van Gundy has intricate knowledge of basketball. To him a "Detlef Schrempf" is a move. And he argued nicely against taking a guy out with two fouls: "What's the difference between getting the third foul in the last :33 of the second quarter, or the first :33 of the third quarter?"
* My Gut: Shawn Marion has played his last game in purple and orange. The finances would seem to dictate that it's unlikely both Marion and Amare Stoudemire will stay, and Stoudemire is showing contined improvement. On a lot of plays he's a true hombre. And I love how he reacts to craziness from the referees. All playoffs long, he has just walked away. The team has never trusted Marion to bring maximum effort at all times, and trust is the foundation of team. (Marion can play for the Blazers, though. It's not like I don't recognize his magnificence. But if you have to choose between him and Stoudemire ...)
* There are a lot of fouls called on players defending against the drive. What occurs to me more and more is that it's smart to do the whole "draw the charge" flop onto the butt, and only in part because you might draw the charge. A bigger reason is that if your hands are up, and you're jumping, and there's contact, you have NO chance of getting the call, and it's likely a foul on you.
* Tonight Steve Nash drove right to the rim, many times, to no avail. He was within a few feet of the cup, but couldn't turn it into an easy scoring opportunity for him or anyone else. That's a tribute to San Antonio's entire team, who all play hard and defend very well.
* Mike D'Antoni really does not exude leadership in big moments. That screaming is appropriate if a car is parked on your foot, and maybe if your pants are on fire. I love the guy, but it's nuts after a measly iffy call. I could put a camera on him, and a camera on Gregg Popovich, and show you the two tapes. Anyone who watched both tapes would know that Popovich's team was better prepared to win. Winning is, on some level, an attitude -- a confidence, a poise. Phoenix gets that attitude from Nash more than D'Antoni.
* Anyone who hates how Bruce Bowen plays? You hate Raja Bell too. They have trained together, and are two of the most similar players in the NBA, in terms of walking that grab/poke/slap/flop line with the referees.
* People always want the NBA to eliminate traveling. Anyone notice that they are trying? They're calling it a lot more, especially as players initiate their move.
* There's a great Tim Duncan story from his college days. Can't remember where I heard it. But Duncan and his Wake Forest teammate Randolph Childress were talking to coach Dave Odom. Childress was looking at the ground. Duncan reached out, touched his finger to his teammate's chin, and lifted. I asked Duncan, years later, why he did that: to admonish Childress for not looking at his coach, or to lift his teammate's spirit? Duncan seemed not able to even understand the first idea. Of course it was to help his teammate out. If we knew everything there was to know about Tim Duncan, I suspect he'd be respected as one of the great teammates in the NBA. He infuses his team with confidence in so many ways. Even in his post-game press conference, he talks about how great his opponents Steve Nash, his teammate Bruce Bowen, and his opponents the Utah Jazz are.
* Spurs in 7 against Utah."

http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

Gotta say, Henry really understands the NBA, and he knows how to write about it. We are kindred souls, because I almost always agree with him. If you love the NBA, and you don't compulsively read TrueHoop, you should.

Nice comments, Henry.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Bump.

Read the above.

ShoogarBear
05-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Mike D'Antoni really does not exude leadership in big moments. That screaming is appropriate if a car is parked on your foot, and maybe if your pants are on fire.

:lmao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Nobody wants to hear this now, but I honestly don't believe David Stern affected this series all that much. I thought San Antonio was the better team almost the whole way through. Phoenix hung in there with a series of magnificent mini-miracles -- the exact things that make me love to watch this team. They made plays.

But they never cranked up their big shiny points machine. It was never systematic for the Suns at either end of the floor. It always felt like Mike D'Antoni was applying one strategy band aid after another. (Also, I might be the only one who thinks this, but I sincerely believe that San Antonio would have won a fairly called Game 4. This could have ended in five.)

And this is right on the money.

I don't feel bad about winning this series because the Refs gave game 4 to the Suns. Why do you think Horry did what he did? he's not a cheapshot guy, but when the refs call it that one sided even a guy like Rob can lose it.

Anyway, nice blog by Abbott.

michaelwcho
05-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Wow, as a Spurs and Timmy fan, that was a great article. I do agree on almost every point.

Putting aside the Spurs content for a moment, I really hate the "run into the lane and jump right into the big man move". If they got rid of that, Devin Harris would be out of the league and we'd never lose to Dallas again! :)

SpurOutofTownFan
05-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Man, aside all teh media spotlight, this was never a series for the suns to win. They cna't beat the spurs 4 times with that style of play.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Even with help from the refs, the media, the NBA and the Spurs themselves (for that game 4 collapse) they can't win four times.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Even when I disagree with Henry, he still brings the best arguments to the table day-in and day-out.

Kori Ellis
05-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Eh... I don't like he's writing style at all, so I avoid reading his blog.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Eh... I don't like he's writing style at all, so I avoid reading his blog.
You mean you don't like bullet points? :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-19-2007, 01:37 AM
He writes very simply, but he communicates well. And as Johnny said, he gets the arguments right almost all of the time.

MannyIsGod
05-19-2007, 02:21 AM
Thats right on the head of the nail.

FromWayDowntown
05-19-2007, 02:23 AM
I've gotten hooked on TrueHoop. I think Henry's takes are excellent. He'll tell you that he's rooting for a particular team, but he'll give you a fairly balanced analysis when it's just his views. He also does a fantastic job of cataloging a wide array of views on various NBA issues.

Kori Ellis
05-19-2007, 02:33 AM
You mean you don't like bullet points? :lol

:lol No, I didn't mean the bullet points. I meant his sentence structure. Just personal preference, I don't like all the "The...., and ..., and ..." His writing might be good - just the structure annoys me so much that I don't read it.

But most people I know say the content is awesome.

MannyIsGod
05-19-2007, 02:34 AM
I think his analysis of DiAntoni is spot on. I've been screaming that for days. How can you follow a leader who sets that example? He made the issues which ended up with his team making excuses instead of stepping up.