PDA

View Full Version : Any psychologists out there?

spurschick
05-19-2007, 09:19 AM
My sister is graduating from school with a psych degree and my dad and I are trying to think of good gifts. So far we have the usual professional stuff and typical graduation gifts:

• pen
• briefcase
• engraved business card case and desktop holder

I found a web site that has a Tickle Me Freud doll and an Analyst's Ball (kinda like a Magic 8 ball), but I'm trying to think of other things.

One thing I thought of was a little tape recorder to either tape sessions or dictate into afterwards. Do psychologists still use those or have they upgraded to something else?

Beyond that, I'm looking for other ideas.

E20
05-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Buy her one of those stereotypical clocks that are used for hypnosis.

BacktoBasics
05-19-2007, 10:20 AM
I really think a nice high dollar pen is a wonderful gift. I write all day long and it really makes a difference. I recieved a really nice pen 3 years ago for fathers day and I loved it....the way it writes and feels. Sucks it got stolen but I was lucky enough to replace it with an identical one.

spurschick
05-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I really think a nice high dollar pen is a wonderful gift. I write all day long and it really makes a difference. I recieved a really nice pen 3 years ago for fathers day and I loved it....the way it writes and feels. Sucks it got stolen but I was lucky enough to replace it with an identical one.

She just graduated with her bachelor's, so we are probably going to go with the pen and probably the business card case. I was just wondering if there was some kind of techno-gadget that would make her life a little easier during grad school that would also make the transition into the internship and pro world.

CharlieMac
05-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm gonna buy my wife a couch once the masters is done. I'll probably borrow the money from her for the couch though.

BacktoBasics
05-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Well everyone could use a really nice pocket PC.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0540807

Sigmund Freud
05-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Sleep on it and write down the first thing you think of when you awaken. The answer is there if you look deep enough.

ashbeeigh
05-19-2007, 12:08 PM
What about some fun personality test books or something like that? Some history of psychology books? I always love that kind of stuff and I just got my degree in psychology last weekend.

What is she doing after she graduates? That could help y'all decide what to get her too.

clambake
05-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Buy her a nutcracker.

ShoogarBear
05-19-2007, 03:32 PM
You could get her the book "Cooking With Your Friends", by Hannibal Lecter.

NorCal510
05-19-2007, 03:35 PM
give her a vibrator

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-19-2007, 03:53 PM
She just graduated with her bachelor's, so we are probably going to go with the pen and probably the business card case. I was just wondering if there was some kind of techno-gadget that would make her life a little easier during grad school that would also make the transition into the internship and pro world.

Well, I wouldn't know if recording sessions or things like that is common, but if you end up looking for a good digital recorder, I would recommend the Olympus models. I own two models and they both work great on a pair of AAA batteries.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_voicerecorders.asp?CMP=ILC-homevr

The model I currently use all the time isn't on there anymore, but the decent models ($60+) use USB connections to import your audio to your computer (which I use to archive my interviews).

There are higher-end models that offer speech-to-text, but I couldn't give you any reviews of them.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Oh, and congrats to your sister.

spurschick
05-19-2007, 04:11 PM
What about some fun personality test books or something like that? Some history of psychology books? I always love that kind of stuff and I just got my degree in psychology last weekend.

What is she doing after she graduates? That could help y'all decide what to get her too.

As someone who just graduated, would you find a tape recorder or something like that useful in that profession?

ashbeeigh
05-19-2007, 05:22 PM
As someone who just graduated, would you find a tape recorder or something like that useful in that profession?

It all depends on what I was going to do afterwards. Is she going to grad school? If she is, what is she going to grad school for? If it''s counseling related it may be a good idea. If it's something more business i/o related it probably wouldn't be. Is she more in the applied field? Like experiments and ras and crap? Then, I don't know if a tape recorder would be such a good idea. If she's more into the experimental field the briefcase and some really composition books would be amazing. The tape recorder would probably be something she could use eventually, but not right out of undergradand it is very thoughtful. I wouldn't have even thought of it. :tu on the idea. All my opinion of course.

THE ONE AND ONLY
05-19-2007, 05:58 PM
one of those Scarecrow masks from Batman Begins
and also some halucinogens to go with it

spurschick
05-19-2007, 06:20 PM
It all depends on what I was going to do afterwards. Is she going to grad school? If she is, what is she going to grad school for?

She got her bachelor's in something else. She's going to grad school for psychology and she's planning on specializing in grief and loss counseling.

ashbeeigh
05-19-2007, 06:30 PM
She got her bachelor's in something else. She's going to grad school for psychology and she's planning on specializing in grief and loss counseling.

All the stuff you've suggested sounds really good, then. I just wasn't sure what she was doing afterwards, because for me a lot of that probably wouldn't help since I'm going to be working with kids in schools. Even some starbucks cards or something thrown in for the nights when she's going to be up writting papers and stuff could be nice, even though it isn't as personal.

Bigzax
05-19-2007, 06:34 PM
what school spurschick?

spurschick
05-19-2007, 07:33 PM
what school spurschick?

antioch university

Nbadan
05-19-2007, 08:43 PM
a Psych degree?!?

http://www.martiniart.com/productImages/martini_barware/dummies-cocktail.jpg

j/k

Nbadan
05-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Get her a blackberry.

Bob Lanier
05-19-2007, 09:06 PM
A good vibrator is usually much appreciated.