PDA

View Full Version : Barbosa:"They will be the champions"

ducks
05-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Suns get run over
DISAPPOINTED AGAIN: Another playoff exit again leaves title-hungry Suns short of goal 3-STAR EFFORT: Duncan, Parker, Ginobili

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
May. 19, 2007 12:00 AM
SAN ANTONIO - The Suns were like the best relay team in the NBA, but that is not enough to outlast the league's top-class marathoners.

The pedigree of the Spurs came shining through again Friday as they closed out the Suns' season with a 114-106 Game 6 victory at AT&T Center to win their Western Conference semifinal series 4-2.

As the Suns fell to 6-15 against San Antonio since Steve Nash's return to Phoenix, the Spurs' substance, experience and efficiency proved better than the Suns' style, speed and fun. And beyond the pain of a bruising series, with the evidence on Nash's legs, the Suns mostly felt shock over anguish.

"It feels like we're going back home for Game 7 but we're not," Phoenix's Shawn Marion said.

The Suns will be left to re-evaluate their beliefs, as a third wonderful regular season was followed with a third postseason that fell short of the NBA Finals.

No season's expectations were higher than this one - Nash had declared this his best team. But Phoenix will either wonder if is it built to handle the playoffs' more physical play, or to lament the suspensions of Amaré Stoudemire, who scored 38 Friday - much like he had 42 when the Spurs eliminated the Suns two years ago - and Boris Diaw for coming onto the court in reaction to Robert Horry's flagrant fouling of Nash in Game 4.

Last year, there were tears after elimination. As Friday turned to Saturday, there mostly was anger and shock boarding the Suns bus to the off-season.

"I have a lot of faith in our team," said Nash, who had a scoreless, one-assist third quarter as the Spurs opened what had been a close game. "To lose the way we did is difficult. It would've been difficult to lose anyway, but for such a non-factor in the series to play such a big part is tough.

"I don't know what the outcome would've been if we went home tied with a full team."

Nash had only three points until the final nine minutes Friday, and San Antonio cut off his playmaking in the third quarter, pulling away after the game had stayed within a possession for nearly the entire first half. The Suns knew the Spurs would be the better defensive team with the better rebounders and more clutch players, but the Spurs also made more three-pointers in the series and often were the ones with the unstoppable pick-and-roll.

"They will be the champions," Suns guard Leandro Barbosa said after his breakthrough season ended with a four-game shooting slump.

Phoenix wanted to limit the scoring damage to Tim Duncan this series, but San Antonio's persistent efforts to get Manu Ginobili going carried over and the "big three" - Tony Parker included - set the Suns. Duncan scored 24 Friday. Parker had 30 points and Ginobili came off the bench for 33 points, 11 rebounds and six assists.

"The 'big three' hit every shot that was important," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said.

After two playoffs that ended in the conference finals, Phoenix's best title hope yet ended a round earlier in a game marked by uncharacteristic sloppiness (18 turnovers) and a defensive regression that saw it allow 114 points and 48.9 percent shooting. The Spurs hit 14 of 20 shots in the time it took to turn a 59-58 Suns lead into a 92-72 San Antonio bulge three minutes into the fourth.

Nash turned aggressive with his shot to try to rally Phoenix, but it was too late to overcome such a hole.

"We are ready to take the next step and learn from all angles, " said Stoudemire, who hit 14 of 28 field goals and nine of 10 free throws. "It starts now. We have to get over this."

The theme of hotly, tightly contested play was established in a 23-23 first quarter Friday, but it really came much earlier in the series, when San Antonio dictated tempo and Bruce Bowen established a physical brand of defense that derailed Nash's abilities at times, particularly with fellow all-defensive first-teamer Duncan double teaming. Phoenix looked beaten down in the second half as the Spurs' physical, grinding defense continued to tap Nash's powers into mortality.

"Bruce did a hell of a job on him," D'Antoni said. "He was all over him. It was (officiated) a certain way. They let him beat him a bit. Steve was out of sort for a while, but you're talking about the best player in the last 10 years. He can't be Superman every night."

ThomasGranger
05-19-2007, 11:22 AM
"We are ready to take the next step and learn from all angles, " said Stoudemire, who hit 14 of 28 field goals and nine of 10 free throws. "It starts now. . .

by trying to learn how to defend an unstoppable bank shot.

exstatic
05-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Barbosa was fucking exposed as yet another in a long line of PHO system players. I'm betting there were more than a few media who wanted their sixth man votes back....Ginobili fucking OWNED.

SequSpur
05-19-2007, 11:23 AM
"Bruce did a hell of a job on him," D'Antoni said. "He was all over him. It was (officiated) a certain way. They let him beat him a bit. Steve was out of sort for a while, but you're talking about the best player in the last 10 years. He can't be Superman every night."

:sequ

exstatic
05-19-2007, 11:24 AM
:sequ
Does it float?

ducks
05-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Barbosa was fucking exposed as yet another in a long line of PHO system players. I'm betting there were more than a few media who wanted their sixth man votes back....Ginobili fucking OWNED.
tp owned barbosa
who else guarded him like that

LaMarcus Bryant
05-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Can you imagine if we still had Leandro Barbosa instead of Beno? Can you imagine i saiidddd

spurschick
05-19-2007, 11:28 AM

How many season award winners are still in the post-season? (Not counting coach and exec.)

Dirk
Barbosa
Camby
Ellis
Roy

Yeah, that would be 0.

exstatic
05-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Can you imagine if we still had Leandro Barbosa instead of Beno? Can you imagine i saiidddd
Why would we want a player who has a hard time getting air thru his windpipe late in the game? LB had two chances to REALLY bring PHO back into the game, and he left it short both times. I'm talking wide open looks. Wide fucking open.

bdictjames
05-19-2007, 11:30 AM
but you're talking about the best player in the last 10 years. He can't be Superman every night."
WTF!?!

Nash is good, but this statement is just dumb.

exstatic
05-19-2007, 11:32 AM
How many season award winners are still in the post-season? (Not counting coach and exec.)

Dirk
Barbosa
Camby
Ellis
Roy

Yeah, that would be 0.
That's why regular season awards don't mean shit. They did a bit during the NJ/CLE game the other night, and pointed out that of the 15 players on the first 3 All NBA teams, only 5 were still playing. That's a fucking joke, too.

violentkitten
05-19-2007, 11:33 AM

or josh howard and david lee...ugh

$15k.

feh.

exstatic
05-19-2007, 11:33 AM
but you're talking about the best player in the last 10 years. He can't be Superman every night."
His name is Tim Duncan, not Steve Nash, and yes he fucking can. :lol

The Go For 4
05-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Last night Tim was superman.

gino>yourlife
05-19-2007, 11:37 AM

Dirk
Barbosa
Camby
Ellis
Roy

Yeah, that would be 0.

i see what you're getting at but you have to understand that those are regular season awards and well deserved by all players (excluding camby, homer or not bowen >>>>>> camby as a defender) for their regular season performance.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Why would we want a player who has a hard time getting air thru his windpipe late in the game? LB had two chances to REALLY bring PHO back into the game, and he left it short both times. I'm talking wide open looks. Wide fucking open.

Dude I know but come on....we're talking about fucking BENO here, didnt we trade barbosa to later draft Beno?

ANYTHING, any player that can be used on the court in any point and time in space/time continuum would be an improvement over Beno and Barbosa is one of teh quickest guys in the league, erratic yes, but he'd kick ass in our system with spot minutes i think. At least do a better job than BENO.

CarolinaPride10
05-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Steve was out of sort for a while, but you're talking about the best player in the last 10 years. He can't be Superman every night."

I like Nash alot, but saying he is THE best player in the last 10 years is kind of an absurd statement imo; best playmaker i would agree with, however.

ducks
05-19-2007, 11:41 AM
or josh howard and david lee...ugh

$15k.

feh.

you know howard was a scared pussy against gs in the second half
he played alot like barry in second halfs

mavsfan1000
05-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Tim Duncan=Playoff MVP.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-19-2007, 11:45 AM
you know howard was a scared pussy against gs in the second half
he played alot like barry in second halfs

so you're saying you'd rather not have josh howard?

:rolleyes x 5000

L.I.T
05-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Parker was damn impressive on defense in this series, I think he might have been their defensive MVP.

Manu did what he does best; rise to the occasion.

Duncan was Duncan.

And D'antoni needs to shut the fuck up about officiating. The Spurs get to plan for the Jazz, while he gets to plan his "I'm outraged at this outrageous call" expressions for next year.

I'm done with the Suns.

ducks
05-19-2007, 11:47 AM
if josh howard was here would manu be here?
would tp be here

spurs have three stars plus verterns
a team full of stars does not always = success see lakers with kobe,shaq,gp and the mailman

exstatic
05-19-2007, 11:50 AM
i see what you're getting at but you have to understand that those are regular season awards and well deserved by all players (excluding camby, homer or not bowen >>>>>> camby as a defender) for their regular season performance.
Y'Know what, though? Back in the day, those players could translate that at least into the second round of the playoffs.

gino>yourlife
05-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Y'Know what, though? Back in the day, those players could translate that at least into the second round of the playoffs.

you're exactly right

peskypesky
05-19-2007, 12:17 PM

Dirk
Barbosa
Camby
Ellis
Roy

Yeah, that would be 0.

That just goes to show people once again that this is a TEAM sport! I know that MJ made people forget that, but TEAMS win championships, not individuals and not regular season awards, not even regular season MVP awards. We Spurs fans of all people should know that. I still remember MVP Robinson having his ass handed to him by NBA Champ Olajuwon.

Regular season awards are just that, regular season awards. And perennial champs like the Spurs know that. Champions know not to burn themselves out in the regular season, and to save something for the playoffs. I mean, look at Shaq last year! He coasted in the regular season and then turned it on for the playoffs.

And the Spurs (hopefully) are doing the same thing in 2007.

peskypesky
05-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Tim Duncan=Playoff MVP.

glad to hear that, but the playoffs ain't over yet, and there's still a Boozer, a Lebron, and/or a Billups to contend with.

TDMVPDPOY
05-19-2007, 01:01 PM
duncan>tim

WalterBenitez
05-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Tim Duncan=Playoff MVP.
Welcome, finally you are understanding this sport :toast

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Tim Duncan=Playoff MVP.

Damn straight!!!