PDA

View Full Version : Why Would Anyone Doubt Ginobili?

powerpower
05-19-2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=27542

All during the Western Conference Semifinals series between the San Antonio Spurs and Phoenix Suns, I kept hearing about how Manu Ginobili had not produced. He had had some bad games.

Look. Ginobili is a championship player. He is a clutch player. He has an Olympic Gold Metal, an Italian League Championship, and an NBA ring. Why would anyone doubt Ginobili? He should have been the NBA Finals MVP of 2005 -- no offense to Tim Duncan.

Why would anyone doubt Ginobili, his abilities, or whether he was going to come up big in the Western Conference Semifinals?

Sure, it's easy for me to sit here, after the series is over, and talk about how it would have been idiotic to doubt Ginobili. But people did, and it was.

After his 33-point performance in Game 6, is there any doubt that Manu Ginobili is the 33rd-degree Mason of the NBA playoffs in the last two out of three years? Is there any doubt that he is the best clutch player in the NBA?

I live in Portland. This season, I watched twice in person as Ginobili ruined strong Blazers' performances against the Spurs at Portland. As soon as the game, the series, or the championship is on the line, suddenly Ginobili is hitting 3's, draining crazy flopping drives to the basket, and managing to draw a foul where there was none.

Forget about Kobe, forget about Nash... nobody talks about Ginobili. Is it because he is not an American? Is it because he has Tim Duncan on his team? Sure, he's got Duncan, but he IS an American -- a South American. So what? The European Union has all of Europe as basically equal countries. Why don't we make an American Union?

Anyway, Ginobili is the best guard in the NBA, on the best team in the NBA, and that's about it. I don't want to belittle Tony Parker's or Tim "The Big Funadmental" Duncan's performances or contributions, but I see that it is the 3rd quarter of Game 6 of the Western Conference Semifinals, and Ginobili gets an offensive board, takes it down the court, and then drains a crazy 3 to put the Spurs up for their biggest lead in the game so far.

There is no other stealth bomber in the NBA like Manu Ginobili. No one else that comes up big when it's needed the most.

Except maybe Robert Horry, who seems to be able to come up big even when he's not even playing. But that's another article.

("Obi-Wan Ginobili" image courtesy www.airbrushcat.com)

ChumpDumper
05-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Why Would Anyone Doubt Ginobili?

Because he hadn't played very well in the playoffs.

Glad he's playing better. We need him.

timvp
05-19-2007, 02:05 PM

:tu

SpurOutofTownFan
05-19-2007, 02:09 PM
No question about Ginobili. People just don't get it.

SA210
05-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I never doubted. Manu is my favorite player next to Bowen.

Sec24Row7
05-19-2007, 02:17 PM
When Ginobili is on...

His problem has always been his consistency...

powerpower
05-19-2007, 02:18 PM
yep so let's hope he continues to be HOT

MaNuMaNiAc
05-19-2007, 02:21 PM
:tu
hey timvp, see, this guy is applying to the Church. His admission is still under review, but we think he's a good prospect :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
05-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Cuz he's played horrible more often than great.

aaronstampler
05-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Cuz he's played horrible more often than great.

Because the sole statistic a player is measured by in your world is points.

J.T.
05-19-2007, 02:45 PM

It is hard to win games in the playoffs when someone you consider your second or third offensive option isn't playing like he is capable of. Manu is a great basketball player but he's inconsistent.

debKISS10
05-19-2007, 03:19 PM
look it's not our fault for the doubt, I love Ginobili more than the next guy but he knows himself I'm sure, that he wasn't playing to his ability!

TampaDude
05-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Manu came up HUGE last night...a few more games like that, and the Spurs will cruise to their fourth NBA Championship!

bdictjames
05-19-2007, 03:26 PM
I never doubted

I just kept hoping

Rick Von Braun
05-19-2007, 04:13 PM

I agree 100%. Even GMs get fooled by it... how may "volume" scorers are still in the league?

Nikos
05-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Because Manu has been unlucky so far this playoffs. He played a spectacular game 6, but has generally been WAY below his standards statistically, and I am not talking about the 2005 NBA Playoffs, but his 2007 regular season.

He needs to return to form or the team will struggle some more. There is a great chance that he will play pretty well from here on out, but by his standards, so far in this playoffs he hasn't done well. Call him unlucky or whatever, but I just hope he returns to form in a big way. I doubt he plays as bad as the first 9 playoff games, but I am hoping he has a handful of monster games left, with some decent ones in between.

The team will need him as Chump stated.

WalterBenitez
05-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Why?

Because Manu sometime sucks ... :D ... no offense Manu is great and stats always shows some part of general game, but people when Manu can't score looks bad ... I know those assists, blocks, steals, charges, etc... but Manu is who is, trying to help no matter how bad is his day.

carrecaminos
05-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Because most of the people are morons.

mookie2001
05-20-2007, 08:37 AM

Glad he's playing better. We need him.hater

SpurOutofTownFan
05-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Manu is a clutch player. He appears when needed. That's all. He is not gonna carry the team every night. No top 10 player does that either. So I'm not sure what is the problem or what you fail to see.

ForeignFan
05-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Because he has had ups and downs.... remember last year game 7 vs Mavs ...
But that makes him human and I respect / admire him even more than before since his last two clutch performances vs the Suns. Two clutch performances in a long, long series (to be continued)

beirmeistr
05-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Manu is my favorite Spur player. I think some fans started berating him when he was out of rhythm in the early games. If he is ignored enough in the offensive plays, he appears to lose some of his aggressiveness.
Of course, when the pressure is on and the big game is on the line, Manu is in his element and at his best.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-20-2007, 12:45 PM
If people understood Manu there wouldn't be any doubting. Because it's like doubting the weather guy. Sometimes he'll be accurate and sometimes he won't. Now, if people would quit expecting him to be accurate all of the time, and believe me there are people who do, we'd have a lot less doubting and moronic criticism.

hater
05-20-2007, 12:49 PM
this series would have been over in 4 or 5 games if Manu had shown up in game 1,2,3

WalterBenitez
05-20-2007, 12:58 PM
If people understood Manu there wouldn't be any doubting. Because it's like doubting the weather guy. Sometimes he'll be accurate and sometimes he won't. Now, if people would quit expecting him to be accurate all of the time, and believe me there are people who do, we'd have a lot less doubting and moronic criticism.

Manu >> Weather guy

Ronaldo McDonald
05-20-2007, 01:01 PM
in terms of being inconsistent Manu = Weather Guy

SuperManu!!!
05-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Ginobili is a great player....but duncan has a great impact on his game. He attracts so much defense, so you either guard one or other. THis goes to parker also

smeagol
05-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Look. Ginobili is a championship player. He is a clutch player. He has an Olympic Gold Metal, an Italian League Championship, and an NBA ring. Why would anyone doubt Ginobili? He should have been the NBA Finals MVP of 2005 -- no offense to Tim Duncan.
He has two

powerpower
05-20-2007, 06:11 PM
He has two

i think the writer just meant it in general

smeagol
05-20-2007, 06:12 PM

True, but people who know Manu's game should've known better. He usually shows up for big games.

But whatever. Some people on this board even doubted Duncan when he went through a couple of funks last year. They claimed he was done :lmao

WalterBenitez
05-20-2007, 06:29 PM
True, but people who know Manu's game should've known better. He usually shows up for big games.

But whatever. Some people on this board even doubted Duncan when he went through a couple of funks last year. They claimed he was done :lmao

I never doubted of Tim!!!, well, at least from last time :p:

smeagol
05-20-2007, 07:17 PM
hater
:rolleyes

smeagol
05-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Because he has had ups and downs.... remember last year game 7 vs Mavs ...

Manu was the spark that ignited a 20 pt comeback. He also scored the 3 to put the SPurs on top. He screwed up on the Dirk foul.

But no Manu in that game = 20 pt Spur loss.