PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Brown performs mean throwdown

Kori Ellis
11-28-2004, 02:44 AM
Brown performs mean throwdown

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112804.9C.BKNspurs.brown.9cd125d6.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs got an amazingly efficient game from Malik Rose off the bench in their Saturday night victory over the Utah Jazz at the SBC Center — 16 points off just six shots in only 19 minutes. But the bench player everyone was talking about afterward was Devin Brown.

Connect on one spectacular alley-oop dunk and the world beats a path to your door.

Brown's spectacular throwdown off a lob pass from Brent Barry with 7:45 left in the Spurs' 109-76 victory seemed a lock to make a certain highlight-reel sports show.

"If that's not No. 1 on (ESPN) 'SportsCenter' tonight," Spurs captain Tim Duncan said, "I don't know what is."

Curiously, Brown insisted he had no intention of heading straight home to tune to ESPN to find out if Duncan was right.

"No," Brown said. "Same routine. Go get something to eat and go hang out with the family."

Barry, the triggerman on the play that brought nearly everyone in the house to his feet, had a response to Brown's assertion of disinterest.

"Yeah," Barry said, "Devin's at the deli ordering a fat chance on rye. He'll be watching."

Brown, the former UTSA star, had to admit the dunk may have been the best he had done in a game, at any level. He started the play himself when he picked off an errant pass by Utah's Howard Eisley and headed up the right side of the court, spying Barry streaking down the left side.

One cross-court pass to Barry and a lob back, and Brown was putting his athleticism on display.

"I've had some nice dunks in the past," he said, "but I do have to rank that right up there."

The credit, he said, should go to Barry for perfectly placing the lob, tossing it high enough to optimize the spectacular effect.

"Brent did a great job," Brown said. "As soon as I got the steal and I saw him running, I knew to throw it to him and he would throw it back. It's something we did in the preseason a couple of times.

"It makes you feel good (when everyone gets so pumped up). I just want to chip in and play well and be consistent. Plays like that help out.

"Just another day at the job. Enjoy it while it lasts, but that's it."

Said Barry: "I didn't do anything. He did it all. It was just a heck of a play by Dev. In the preseason, we tried to hook up a little bit when we were running transition. Trust me, I did the easy part. He did the hard part.

"I didn't even see a replay, but I heard the reaction of the crowd. And I'm sure Dev will be watching it late tonight on 'SportsCenter.'"

Meanwhile, Rose, whose 16 points on 4-for-6 shooting and 8 for 8 at the foul line were a team high, was content with what he said was his "best game in a long, long time."

"I'm just hoping I can build on it," the backup power forward said.

Rose had to endure some ribbing from his teammates after he fell over his own two feet while backpedaling on defense in the second half.

"I'm usually more sure afoot," he said. "I was just backpedaling ... and there was a sniper in the 200 section who took me out."

grjr
11-28-2004, 03:19 AM
Devin's dunk didn't even make the top 10 on sportscenter. :lol

That kind of a dunk is an everygame occurance for most teams around the league but we so seldom see a Spur do it that it makes it more special to us.

TheWriter
11-28-2004, 03:23 AM
Did you see that dunk? That kind of dunk doesn't happen every night in every game. DSid you watch it? That's 10 times better than most the shit Vince Carter gets shown doing.

grjr
11-28-2004, 03:29 AM
I watched it 5 or 6 times and it was a great play but I still stand behind my statement.

toosmallshoes
11-28-2004, 03:57 AM
Hard for a 10th man's dunk in a blowout to get in the top ten on sportscenter.

whottt
11-28-2004, 04:49 AM
Grjr, and Toosmallshoes...that dunk is #1 on NBA TV...so obviously you guys have no business judging a dunk contest any time soon.

Grjr, a major hole in your theory of that being a routine play...

1.Manu is a frequent visitor on plays of the night, and Devin's dunk ranks up there with just about anything Manu has done.

2.Malik Rose's dunk on Dekembe Mutombo in the NBA finals drew raves from the ABC and ESPN news crews, and Devin's dunk was as good as the one where Malik forcefed Deke some basketball.

3.Believe it or not...the Spurs players have probably seen as many dunks as you have, since they tend to get good seats for some NBA games, and you might be surprised to find out that most of the players can probably dunk better than most of the fans, which means they probably know more about dunks than most of the fans.....and even they rated Devin's dunk very highly...

So I must respectfully disagree with your assesment of Devin's dunk.

What happened with that dunk not being acknowledged on BSPN is what usually happens when Spurs players make good plays or do something good...it gets ignored or minimized by BSPN...Call it the David Robinson(who cashed in on a quite a few alley oop dunks in back his day)effect...since that is basically what those idiots did to Drob's entire career. I am glad it doesn't happen to Manu as well...but the only reason it doesn't is because Manu is an international name, who offers the potential to capture new markets, and even new demographics within the US...and he makes those types of plays more often than just about anyone...and they'd look like fools if they tried to ignore him.

The lesson to be learned here is...don't expect BSPN to function as an efficient sports recapping network or as credible sports journalism...they suck ass and pander to large markets.

mattyc
11-28-2004, 05:16 AM
"Yeah," Barry said, "Devin's at the deli ordering a fat chance on rye. He'll be watching."
:lol I love the dry sense of humour Bones has.

Speaking of bench players - Malik's form is heart warming. If he can keep it simple and keep it up.... :elephant :elephant :elephant

timvp
11-28-2004, 05:17 AM
Devin's dunk was nasty.

Especially considering how high he got and that he had to finish over a player.

boutons
11-28-2004, 06:30 AM
Tony's pirouette at nearly speed to finish a break was number 3 on NBA TV TopTen Plays of the day, Devin's dunk at number 1.

Both Barry brothers were assiting in TopTen, with a Jon-to-Antoine dunk.

Not many days do the Spurs (and the Barrys) get 2 plays on NBA TV TopTen.

Onwards to Dallas ...

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-28-2004, 08:56 AM
When does the poster go on sale?

GoSpurs21
11-28-2004, 04:27 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again. ESPN is less objective than Fox News, and problably less truthful as well. If your looking for ESPN to be objective, then as Brent Barry says "you're ordering a fat chance on rye."

ducks
11-28-2004, 04:48 PM
will this get brown going this year?

pjjrfan
11-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey it was no. 1 in my book. I liked how he bent his knees like he was kneeling to make the dunk, it was an awesome play. The kind that ignites the other players.