PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder about the individual award winners...

twincam
05-19-2007, 03:09 PM
I've been reading up on the threads on this site. I haven't really seen a thread that discussed the individual award winners.

The San Antonio Spurs seem to get disrespected on receiving well deserved individual awards but always come out on top for the top prize:

1. Dirk gets the MVP award, but no NBA Championship trophy.

2. Barbosa gets the 6th man award, but is outclassed by Manu Ginobili when it really matters. Yet no NBA Championship trophy for him.

3. Steve Nash (well respected), honorably mentioned for NBA's MVP award, overall game, struggled big times on his shooting and only came out in the closing minutes of games and too late for victories. No NBA Championship trophy for him, again. Tim Duncan is simply consistent and always delivers throughout the games.

4. Coach of the Year. Well I can't remember who received it, but Coach Pop (although I don't care for him) should have received it. No NBA Championship trophy for that other guy who received the award this season.

5. Marcus Camby got the Defensive Player of the Year, however, outclassed by Tim Duncan...as well as Bruce Bowen being as solid as can be against Iverson and Carmelo. No NBA Championship trophy for him. Need I say more about this?

Apparantly, the only award that means anything in the NBA that really COUNTS as PROOF is the NBA Championship trophy that always seems to land in the hands of the well deserved team, the San Antonio Spurs. No, they do not pout and whine about not getting the awards they deserve so well. They prove it to the world that they are indeed the true award winners in their own right.

Coming soon to a trophy case near you. 2007 NBA Champion San Antonio Spurs.

My quote: "....hated by many...envied by all..."

Darrin
05-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Last season ended my lamenting about these awards.

It was Sam Mitchell, by the way.

twincam
05-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Last season ended my lamenting about these awards.

It was Sam Mitchell, by the way.

thanks

Obstructed_View
05-19-2007, 03:19 PM
That's why, despite their efforts, David Stern won't allow ESPN and their viewers to vote on who wins a playoff series.

SRJ
05-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Your post hurts my eyes. Your position is that the Spurs got disrespected in the regular-season awards on the basis that they are going to win the playoffs...interesting.

Let's go point-by-point:

1. Dirk gets the MVP award, but no NBA Championship trophy.

He was the best player on a team that won the most games - 67 of them. He's not deserving of the regular season MVP award?

If you answered yes, then was Tim Duncan undeserving of his 2002 MVP award? David Robinson, 1995?

2. Barbosa gets the 6th man award, but is outclassed by Manu Ginobili when it really matters. Yet no NBA Championship trophy for him.

Yes, Manu outplayed Barbosa in the playoffs. How does that negate his Sixth Man of the Year award? I won't argue that Manu had an argument for the award, but Barbosa was absolutely deserving.

3. Steve Nash (well respected), honorably mentioned for NBA's MVP award, overall game, struggled big times on his shooting and only came out in the closing minutes of games and too late for victories. No NBA Championship trophy for him, again. Tim Duncan is simply consistent and always delivers throughout the games.

So are you bothered that Tim failed to finish 1st and 2nd in MVP voting now?

4. Coach of the Year. Well I can't remember who received it, but Coach Pop (although I don't care for him) should have received it. No NBA Championship trophy for that other guy who received the award this season.

You're going to seriously tell me that Sam Mitchell (who you didn't realize actually won the award), the coach who guided the Toronto Raptors into the playoffs, doesn't deserve coach of the year? Mitchell has Chris Bosh, TJ Ford, and ten other guys. Pop has Ginobili, Parker, and Tim FREAKING Duncan. Pop has a better bench and greater playoff experience. All in all, Pop has an easier task than Mitchell does, and the Coach of the Year award usually reflects that.

5. Marcus Camby got the Defensive Player of the Year, however, outclassed by Tim Duncan...as well as Bruce Bowen being as solid as can be against Iverson and Carmelo. No NBA Championship trophy for him. Need I say more about this?

I am of two minds about whether you should say more or not. On the one hand, I'd like to hear you explain how exactly Bowen was solid against Carmelo well when Melo averaged 27 points and 9 rebounds on 48% shooting. The Spurs won the series, but when the opposing small forward averages 27 and 9, it's really hard to call that defensive job solid.

On the other hand, if you did explain yourself further, I'd have to read redundant phrases ("Apparantly, the only award that means anything in the NBA that really COUNTS" - since when did an award mean something but not count for anything?), ignorance (And I paraphrase, "Pop should have beaten whoever the hell won the NBA coach of the year; just because I'm making an argument doesn't mean I have to bother learning his name"), and faulty reasoning (Again I paraphrase, "The Spurs were screwed out of regular season awards because of what happens in the playoffs"). So on balance, it's better that you don't say more about this.

Furthermore, the championship trophy is not an award. The championship trophy goes to the team who wins sixteen playoff games. There's no such concrete achievement that results in any of the awards listed above.

By your logic, the All-NBA team should look like this:

C - Oberto
PF - Duncan
SF - Bowen
SG - Finley
PG - Parker

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Yao Ming, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Steve Nash are better players at those positions than Oberto, Bowen, Finley, and Parker. Was Derek Fisher a better point guard than Jason Kidd, too?

twincam
05-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Your post hurts my eyes. Your position is that the Spurs got disrespected in the regular-season awards on the basis that they are going to win the playoffs...interesting.

Let's go point-by-point:

He was the best player on a team that won the most games - 67 of them. He's not deserving of the regular season MVP award?

If you answered yes, then was Tim Duncan undeserving of his 2002 MVP award? David Robinson, 1995?

Yes, Manu outplayed Barbosa in the playoffs. How does that negate his Sixth Man of the Year award? I won't argue that Manu had an argument for the award, but Barbosa was absolutely deserving.

So are you bothered that Tim failed to finish 1st and 2nd in MVP voting now?

You're going to seriously tell me that Sam Mitchell (who you didn't realize actually won the award), the coach who guided the Toronto Raptors into the playoffs, doesn't deserve coach of the year? Mitchell has Chris Bosh, TJ Ford, and ten other guys. Pop has Ginobili, Parker, and Tim FREAKING Duncan. Pop has a better bench and greater playoff experience. All in all, Pop has an easier task than Mitchell does, and the Coach of the Year award usually reflects that.

I am of two minds about whether you should say more or not. On the one hand, I'd like to hear you explain how exactly Bowen was solid against Carmelo well when Melo averaged 27 points and 9 rebounds on 48% shooting. The Spurs won the series, but when the opposing small forward averages 27 and 9, it's really hard to call that defensive job solid.

On the other hand, if you did explain yourself further, I'd have to read redundant phrases ("Apparantly, the only award that means anything in the NBA that really COUNTS" - since when did an award mean something but not count for anything?), ignorance (And I paraphrase, "Pop should have beaten whoever the hell won the NBA coach of the year; just because I'm making an argument doesn't mean I have to bother learning his name"), and faulty reasoning (Again I paraphrase, "The Spurs were screwed out of regular season awards because of what happens in the playoffs"). So on balance, it's better that you don't say more about this.

Furthermore, the championship trophy is not an award. The championship trophy goes to the team who wins sixteen playoff games. There's no such concrete achievement that results in any of the awards listed above.

By your logic, the All-NBA team should look like this:

C - Oberto
PF - Duncan
SF - Bowen
SG - Finley
PG - Parker

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Yao Ming, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Steve Nash are better players at those positions than Oberto, Bowen, Finley, and Parker. Was Derek Fisher a better point guard than Jason Kidd, too?

If you say so buddy. Relax man...relax.