PDA

View Full Version : Marion or Stoudemire?

michaelwcho
05-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Sorry if this is too OT.

I was reading some Suns fans threads, and they are calling for Marion to be traded. Personally, I think if they were to trade anyone, it should be Stoudemire. Sure's he's an offensive machine, but he plays no D, is on the bench with fouls half the time, and is a bonehead (supposedly Joe Johnson left because he couldn't get along with Stoudemire).

Marion disappears offensively, but IMO he does so much more for the suns. If they could trade Stoudemire+ for Garnett, and still retain Marion and Nash, they would be scary and would probably be even better and more of a threat to the Spurs.

CharlieMac
05-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Get rid of Amare while his stock is high.

Fillmoe
05-19-2007, 03:29 PM
trade amare and their top 10 pick for KG

TampaDude
05-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Stoudy is very talented and athletic, but he's a dumbass. I hope the Suns keep him so we can beat up on him some more next season. :lol

Texas_Ranger
05-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I'd rather had Marion than Stoudewhiner.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Man, when they finally turn on Amare, it's gonna be nasty. All the shit they've given him a pass for is going to be thrown back at him.

K-State Spur
05-19-2007, 03:38 PM
marion is a tremendous open-floor player, but he's limited as to what he can do in the halfcourt.

in another system, marion is probably a 12/6 guy instead of the 18/10 guy that he is in phoenix's system.

if they could get much for him, they should do it.

Bruno
05-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Suns should trade Banks and Diaw if they find some takers for their contracts.

kps0001
05-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Most of the trade Marion has to do with his impact on the salary cap next year. Him being the highest paid player on our team but yet our 3rd option or 3rd best player if you will has brought a lot of resentment unnecessarily from Suns fans. He gets blamed for the Suns front office rewarding him with a max contract. What was he supposed to do turn down the fat contract? Suns fans knew what we had in Marion at the time he signed the extension but felt he would become the leader of our team which was stupid. I love Marion and would hate to see him go, he is my favorite player on the Suns and I have met and talked with him several times. But I foresee him leaving us this year.

Amare is too young and talented to give up in a trade, imo. The backlash from fans would be far to great to overcome with any trade scenario unless that would involve someone like Timmy which isn't gonna happen.

Obstructed View, what is all the shit suns fans have given him a pass for? Just curious as to how you see it.

K-State Spur
05-19-2007, 04:11 PM
I'll be honest, when playing Phoenix, Marion doesn't scare me.

He's versatile enough defensively to guard any player from Parker to Duncan. But he's not a great defender to the point that he will shut anybody down either.

Offensively, if you control the fast break and prevent the alley-oop, he's limited. Most teams can live with him shooting that hideous 3 point shot as much as he wants (how the hell can they still let him shoot like that? i know that he's comfortable with it, but there is no way in hell that you can convince me that he wouldn't be better with a more traditional stroke).

If a team that doesn't play a run-and-gun style were to trade for him, I think they'd be severly disappointed in what they received.

kps0001
05-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Offensively, if you control the fast break and prevent the alley-oop, he's limited. Most teams can live with him shooting that hideous 3 point shot as much as he wants (how the hell can they still let him shoot like that? i know that he's comfortable with it, but there is no way in hell that you can convince me that he wouldn't be better with a more traditional stroke).

I agree with pretty much all you said. Add to it that Marion is a horrible one on one offensive player and struggles tremendously at creating his own shot. However if you look Marion and Horry stats comparatively they have almost identical career 3pt FG %. Difference is Horry has hit several very clutch 3's in his career and doesn't have that ugly shot. I can pretty much guarantee you if you ask anyone who is the better 3 pt shooter HOrry or Marion 10 out of 10 people would say HOrry. Take away a few clutch 3 ptrs and it is a very good argument that they are equal.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2007, 04:40 PM
I used to hate Marion's shot because it looks so careless. It works though. He's a better shooter than most people give him credit for. What's shocking to me is that he never gets it blocked. The biggest problem with that stroke is that it completely prevents him from having any kind of mid-range game. He either has to be close enough to dunk it or shoot with one hand, or he has to be far enough back that there are no defenders nearby. I like him, though. He works hard, but it's so easy to take him out of his game he needs to add another dimension.

dbreiden83080
05-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Amare is not going anywhere he is still so young and has come back beautifully from his knee injury. I think there may be some talk of shipping Marion out but honestly i think the Suns will just tweak a bit in the offseason and come back next year with the same basic core.

peskypesky
05-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Amare is not going anywhere he is still so young and has come back beautifully from his knee injury. I think there may be some talk of shipping Marion out but honestly i think the Suns will just tweak a bit in the offseason and come back next year with the same basic core.

I think you're probably right. But the thought of trading Amare for KG is interesting. The Suns would probably have a better chance at winning a Championship next year...but in terms of age, it's not a good trade. KG probably has 2 or 3 more good years in him, while Amare could have 9 or 10 (if the knees hold up).

bonesinaz
05-19-2007, 04:59 PM
I agree with pretty much all you said. Add to it that Marion is a horrible one on one offensive player and struggles tremendously at creating his own shot. However if you look Marion and Horry stats comparatively they have almost identical career 3pt FG %. Difference is Horry has hit several very clutch 3's in his career and doesn't have that ugly shot. I can pretty much guarantee you if you ask anyone who is the better 3 pt shooter HOrry or Marion 10 out of 10 people would say HOrry. Take away a few clutch 3 ptrs and it is a very good argument that they are equal.

Horry's defense and basketball IQ >>>>>>>>>>Marion.

BradLohaus
05-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Amare is a beast and he's 24. He's not going anywhere, not even for KG.

Marion will make about 17 mil a year over the next 2 seasons. He's the player to move, but it might not be possible until the 08-09 season when his contract is expiring. He will certainly take the player option on 17 mil for 08-09; nobody else is going to pay him that much.

ducks
05-19-2007, 05:30 PM
I think you're probably right. But the thought of trading Amare for KG is interesting. The Suns would probably have a better chance at winning a Championship next year...but in terms of age, it's not a good trade. KG probably has 2 or 3 more good years in him, while Amare could have 9 or 10 (if the knees hold up).nash has 3 years left max

K-State Spur
05-19-2007, 05:34 PM

Agreed, but that's a pretty major difference. If Horry shot his career percentage at the end of games, he would have been out of the league years ago. But he doesn't.

michaelwcho
05-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Would you rather get a ring now, with Nash, Marion, and KG as the core, or hope the current team gets it done... Imagine how nasty Marion would be cleaning up trash with another great passer on the team. I do agree that it probably wouldn't happen because of the risk.

Thing is, I don't see Stoudemire as a franchise player. Actually I think he will become a Karl Malone-type--a great scorer, but never a great defender and always reliant on others to create for him. The difference being Amare has more heart and Karl more brains.

....man, I've been reading too much Charley Rosen :)

ForeignFan
05-19-2007, 06:50 PM
at least Amare is not the SoB / thug Karl Malone was ...

kps0001
05-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Horry's defense and basketball IQ >>>>>>>>>>Marion.

eh...thats a whole other argument that I would really not get into.

Agreed, but that's a pretty major difference. If Horry shot his career percentage at the end of games, he would have been out of the league years ago. But he doesn't.

Most definitely. I was just saying that because most people think Shawn shoots horribly from 3 when he really doesn't it just doesn't look very good.

baseline bum
05-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Man, Phoenix shouldn't do anything major to their team. Can you imagine how many fast break opportunities they'll get if they draft a rebounding monster like Al Horford? Their starting lineup next year looks like it'll be:

C Amare Stoudemire
PF Al Horford
SF Shawn Marion
SG Raja Bell
PG Steve Nash

That team is going to own the NBA next season. Then Barbosa and Diaw off the bench? That looks like a 60-65 win team (and not a 67-win team :lol), despite their coaching.

stretch
05-19-2007, 11:12 PM
I used to hate Marion's shot because it looks so careless. It works though. He's a better shooter than most people give him credit for. What's shocking to me is that he never gets it blocked. The biggest problem with that stroke is that it completely prevents him from having any kind of mid-range game. He either has to be close enough to dunk it or shoot with one hand, or he has to be far enough back that there are no defenders nearby. I like him, though. He works hard, but it's so easy to take him out of his game he needs to add another dimension.
It never gets blocked because he will only shoot when wide open. Put any pressure on his shot, and he cant shoot for shit.

ducks
05-19-2007, 11:14 PM
starver said he is not going to pay the tax if they are not winners
I expect a trade
did not even get to the western confernce finals

ducks
05-19-2007, 11:15 PM
suns have 3 picks in the draft
suns if they kepted everyone and their young picks could be a force

dallaskd
05-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Man, Phoenix shouldn't do anything major to their team. Can you imagine how many fast break opportunities they'll get if they draft a rebounding monster like Al Horford? Their starting lineup next year looks like it'll be:

C Amare Stoudemire
PF Al Horford
SF Shawn Marion
SG Raja Bell
PG Steve Nash

That team is going to own the NBA next season. Then Barbosa and Diaw off the bench? That looks like a 60-65 win team (and not a 67-win team :lol), despite their coaching.

Raja Bell is crazy overrated.

dallaskd
05-19-2007, 11:17 PM
but yeah i would definately trade amare. but amare has him in age.

dallaskd
05-19-2007, 11:17 PM
i wouldnt trade either unless they got equal or better in return.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2007, 02:52 AM
It never gets blocked because he will only shoot when wide open. Put any pressure on his shot, and he cant shoot for shit.
Yes, I agree. In fact, that's exactly what I said.

mavsfan1000
05-20-2007, 03:00 AM
Is this for real? Stoudemire>>>Marion.