PDA

View Full Version : Question on the Suns

SenorSpur
05-19-2007, 06:47 PM
In the aftermath of the Suns playoff demise, a lot of questions are starting to be raised on local and national radio. One of them is this:

Can the Suns ever win a championship using their particular style of basketball?

I wanted to float this out to the Spur nation to see what you guys thought.

BruceBowenFan
05-19-2007, 06:52 PM
although the suns style is fun to watch at the end of the day defense will always prevail in the playoffs

mVp
05-19-2007, 06:54 PM
although the suns style is fun to watch at the end of the day defense will always prevail in the playoffs

+100000000 !

2centsworth
05-19-2007, 06:57 PM
they need help. Dallas runs a similar style and made it to the finals and had a good chance of winning.

Nbadan
05-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Cleveland, Detroit, San Antonio, Utah. Defense wins championships. You would think more GMs would figure this out.

Agloco
05-19-2007, 07:15 PM
In the aftermath of the Suns playoff demise, a lot of questions are starting to be raised on local and national radio. One of them is this:

Can the Suns ever win a championship using their particular style of basketball?

I wanted to float this out to the Spur nation to see what you guys thought.

I dont see them going through Dallas or SA with both of them at full strength.

Its either going to be a favorable playoff bracket with Dallas/SA gone before they have to play them or if they do play, a key injury takes place.

Their style of basketball just doesnt get it done in the playoffs anymore. End of story.

GrandeDavid
05-19-2007, 07:17 PM
No. The Suns will not win a championship with Mike D'Antoni as coach. They are soft, they are weak, they are owned.

ducks
05-19-2007, 07:18 PM
so would you trade nash now and get close to = value because a new coach would take 2 years to get things right and a new system

VaSpursFan
05-19-2007, 07:21 PM
in the playoffs, it's all about getting stops. trying to outscore a team won't work.

hater
05-19-2007, 07:22 PM
no way. when your toughest player is a small white canadian man, you got problems

Spider TX
05-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Its either going to be a favorable playoff bracket with Dallas/SA gone before they have to play them or if they do play, a key injury takes place.

Their style of basketball just doesnt get it done in the playoffs anymore. End of story.

They would get by Dallas given the current teams, but cannot get by San Antonio. So to answer, yes they can if someone else takes care of San Antonio. Dallas struggles most with the 2 teams in the NBA that run a lot and shoot the 3 well, GS and Phoenix.

Amare_32
05-19-2007, 07:23 PM

I like the Suns chances against the Mavs playing thier style. However is clear they need to address how they matchup with the Spurs. The only one that should up last night was Stoudemire. After all the hoopla about Diaw getting suspended he contributed a whooping 1 point in Game 6. They also have to address the thin bench they have. I still don't understand the point of bringing Jalen Rose to be nothing more then a benchwarmer. D'Antoni this is for you please stop with the victim routine. You do a disservice to the team by not holding them accountable.

tsb2000
05-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Defense wins championships. Whether the Spurs, the Lakers (of old), the Heat, or the Pistons-all champs in recent years- they know how to get stops

- and in almost every sport.

It's no secret about the Red Wings and how they are a quality team every year in hockey. They pummel their opponents on defense!

Even in football- look at the Bears, they damn sure didn't get to the SB on Grossman's arm, and Manning couldn't get past NE until Indy learned to play defense.

So, to the question- no, Phoenix will not win a championship playing their current style with the current league rules.

2centsworth
05-19-2007, 07:47 PM
I like the Suns chances against the Mavs playing thier style. However is clear they need to address how they matchup with the Spurs. The only one that should up last night was Stoudemire. After all the hoopla about Diaw getting suspended he contributed a whooping 1 point in Game 6. They also have to address the thin bench they have. I still don't understand the point of bringing Jalen Rose to be nothing more then a benchwarmer. D'Antoni this is for you please stop with the victim routine. You do a disservice to the team by not holding them accountable.
very good post. The suns would do well to listen to you.

bdictjames
05-19-2007, 07:47 PM
No.

Actually, Phoenix played pretty decent defense in some games against the Spurs. They just didnt had it clicking against them in the offensive end. Better defense wins, and Spurs pulled away to go to the conference finals

bpergrem3
05-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Suns played some good defense down the stretch in a few of the games. Their quickness is hard to handle at times but they can't sustain it long enough. Spurs can play their defense at about 80% most of the time with a stretch of 100% for about 8-10 minutes. If the Suns can figure out how to do this they would be dominant.