PDA

View Full Version : how important is game one?

Tonto
05-20-2007, 01:18 AM
if pale face spurs win, or lose, how important is game one?

Dipship31
05-20-2007, 01:21 AM
It's more significant if they lose rather than win, but still not that important.

coopdogg3
05-20-2007, 01:22 AM
I think the Jazz need game 1 much more than the Spurs do.

FireSternin2007
05-20-2007, 01:25 AM
If you go on NBA history, then game one in the conference finals is huge. 80% of those that win game one will end up winning the series. Couple that with the Spurs recent luck (or lack of) playing in Salt Lake during the playoffs, and San Antonio needs this one bad. They do not want to lose home court in this series. The Jazz need one of the first two as well because I doubt they could steal a game 5 or 7 in SA.

mouse.
05-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Game one shows the fans, and the rest of the World, who is the better team. And why they deserve to advance to the WCF's and it also shows who really should be in the 2007 NBA Champions!

After all , if you can't win game one, how can you win game 7? It's all about math when you break it down really. I can say this, I will root for the Spurs to wax
the Jazz's ass! I can't stand that team. Never did, never could. Sorry it's a Malone thing. GO SPURS GO!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Spurs/Blonde-2007.gif

Suns Fan
05-20-2007, 01:40 AM
If your a Spurs fan and you lose game one, it did not mean anything and this is a game 7 series yadda yadda yadda...

If the Spurs win game one? It's time to gas up the river boats!

Re-Animator
05-20-2007, 01:50 AM
Game one means nothing in a game 7 series , since your team gets at least 6 more chances to win only 4 games.

But if the series goes 7 games? You think back to how losing that game really mattered.

You need FINLEY to shine! in order to get past the Jazz

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Spurs/fade-small-new-good.gif

Dre_7
05-20-2007, 01:50 AM
Game one means everything!!

Just ask coach George Karl.

NASpurs
05-20-2007, 01:53 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1685569&postcount=1

For you mouse :lol

Agloco
05-20-2007, 01:53 AM
If you go on NBA history, then game one in the conference finals is huge. 80% of those that win game one will end up winning the series. Couple that with the Spurs recent luck (or lack of) playing in Salt Lake during the playoffs, and San Antonio needs this one bad. They do not want to lose home court in this series. The Jazz need one of the first two as well because I doubt they could steal a game 5 or 7 in SA.

Recent?

Any reference to the Stockton-Malone era is out of context. Completely different Spurs team. The Jazz however are 0-18 in SA since 1999. That is relevant since the Spurs have won 3 titles during that span and Timmy is still the big dog here.

Your reference to the Spurs having trouble in Utah during the playoffs is pointless.

Kobulingam
05-20-2007, 01:57 AM
If Spurs lose game 1 it will be beecause of the damn schedule. No way a fresh Spurs team loses on homecourt against Jazz.

FireSternin2007
05-20-2007, 02:05 AM
Recent?

Any reference to the Stockton-Malone era is out of context. Completely different Spurs team. The Jazz however are 0-18 in SA since 1999. That is relevant since the Spurs have won 3 titles during that span and Timmy is still the big dog here.

Your reference to the Spurs having trouble in Utah during the playoffs is pointless.

Maybe so, but Salt Lake continues to be one of the most difficult arenas to play in. The same reasons it was tough in the Malone-Stockton era exist today. Rowdy fans, hard-nosed basketball, a good point gaurd and an all-star power forward. Jazz are undefeated at home in the post season, so I believe my point is justified. That aside, SA needs game 1 just as bad as Utah.

=RTM=
05-20-2007, 02:07 AM
7 games is kinda like a boxing match in a way. You may lose round one, but as long as by the 7th round or sooner, you knock out that other vato in the ring? You still get go to the WCFs . So yes, a win in game one would be tight, it can't be better than a 7 Game knock 20 point win upper cut punch to dat Jazz ass would be so much more rewarding. bottom-Line, game one doesn't mean shit!

After all....... the Spurs already got past the SUN!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Spurs/spurs-2.jpg

td4mvp3
05-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Maybe so, but Salt Lake continues to be one of the most difficult arenas to play in. The same reasons it was tough in the Malone-Stockton era exist today. Rowdy fans, hard-nosed basketball, a good point gaurd and an all-star power forward. Jazz are undefeated at home in the post season, so I believe my point is justified. That aside, SA needs game 1 just as bad as Utah.
the williams guy is good, but is he really at stockton's level in just his rookie season? same with boozer, a really fine player but isn't it a bit early to put him in the leagues of malone?

Agloco
05-20-2007, 02:11 AM

I might agree if they had played quality opponents in te first two rounds. Houston is a notoriously bad road team in the playoffs ( take a look at their performances since Yao got there). And GS? Well we won't even go there. Even at that it took missed FT at the end of Game two to save it for you.

Those two opponenets in no way shape form or fashion compare to the Spurs. I honestly believe that the Spurs are good for one up there. If the role players and Manu show up, the broomsticks might well make an appearance.

I doubt it will be a sweep though. The Spurs are just too inconsistent on the offensive end this year. Spurs in 5 maybe 6

boutons_
Let's not lose HCA. Yeah, we gave up HCA in Round1, and stole it, and lost it, in Round2, and still won both rounds.

Jazz are as strong @home as they are weak on the road, season and playoffs. They are 2-4 on the road in these playoffs.

Let's take it easy and start off convincingly 2-0 and put all the pressure on the Jazz.

FireSternin2007
bottom-Line, game one doesn't mean shit!

Not to start a pissing contest here, but how big was game one in the Warriors/Mavericks series? It totally takes away home court advantage and sets the tone for the rest of the series.

FireSternin2007
05-20-2007, 02:19 AM
the williams guy is good, but is he really at stockton's level in just his rookie season? same with boozer, a really fine player but isn't it a bit early to put him in the leagues of malone?

Williams is not a rookie, and no, Boozer is not Malone. What I'm saying is that Utah is a tough place to play now and it was tough then. The Boozer-Williams combo will become notorious in the future if they stay together. One other mainstay that I forgot to mention is Jerry Sloan. They run the exact same offense as they always have and they have players that can execute it. What it comes down to is that the Jazz can execute better at home with the crowd behind them. Execution is what kills a road team.

FireSternin2007
05-20-2007, 02:23 AM
I might agree if they had played quality opponents in te first two rounds. Houston is a notoriously bad road team in the playoffs ( take a look at their performances since Yao got there). And GS? Well we won't even go there. Even at that it took missed FT at the end of Game two to save it for you.

Those two opponenets in no way shape form or fashion compare to the Spurs. I honestly believe that the Spurs are good for one up there. If the role players and Manu show up, the broomsticks might well make an appearance.

I doubt it will be a sweep though. The Spurs are just too inconsistent on the offensive end this year. Spurs in 5 maybe 6

Houston was still a top 5 western team. Yao is as good a center as any and McGrady is a superstar. Houston is a quality team. GS is much better than they get credit for. They acquired Jackson and Harrinton mid-season and Davis battled injuries. Oh, and they took down the best team in the NBA this year in 6 games. The Jazz beat them 4-1. Yes, Davis missed a game winner, but the jazz still executed better than GS in tight situations. SA will not sweep. Can they win in Utah? sure. But I will be shocked if this goes less than 6.

ATXSPUR
05-20-2007, 02:32 AM
It will mean alot...I think the Spurs win either way but I want this to be as painless as it can be.

Budkin
05-20-2007, 03:07 AM
Sweet, mouse rooting for the Spurs! That's what I'm talking about!

ALVAREZ6
05-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Spurs in 5.

Martin R
05-20-2007, 08:57 AM
this series is over at GAME 5 or 7. Not 6.

Sec24Row7
05-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Jesus...when I opened this thread i could smell the weed through the internet...

samikeyp
05-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Its a playoff game...they are all important.