PDA

View Full Version : "Chippy"

darkzero1
05-20-2007, 04:09 AM
Is it just me, or has this adjective been used an inordinate number of times by sports commentators and broadcasters in this year's playoffs (particularly to describe the Spurs/Suns series)? It's not a word I hear very often, in sports or otherwise. In fact, I can't recall the last time I heard it invoked before an ESPN talking head used it to describe Game 1 of the Spurs/Suns series. But since then, I have heard or read it used no less than 30 times, on television, radio and in print by a number of different personalities. Is this a fad? A code word of some sort amongst sportscaster insiders? Or does is simply demonstrate a lack of creativity and originality on the part of sports media?

Strike
05-20-2007, 04:15 AM
Is it just me, or has this adjective been used an inordinate number of times by sports commentators and broadcasters in this year's playoffs (particularly to describe the Spurs/Suns series)? It's not a word I hear very often, in sports or otherwise. In fact, I can't recall the last time I heard it invoked before an ESPN talking head used it to describe Game 1 of the Spurs/Suns series. But since then, I have heard or read it used no less than 30 times, on television, radio and in print by a number of different personalities. Is this a fad? A code word of some sort amongst sportscaster insiders? Or does is simply demonstrate a lack of creativity and originality on the part of sports media?

Definite lack of creativity and originality.

Print is dead. Most Journalists/commentators/play by play people are hacks.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2007, 04:27 AM
Most human beings just repeat what they hear without processing it. See boutons.

darkzero1
05-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Also, earlier this year, I noticed hearing the word "machismo" used repetitively by ESPN sportscasters after Jon Amaechi used it in his "coming out" interview.

WalterBenitez
05-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Most human beings just repeat what they hear without processing it. See boutons.
You sound like my english teacher who says, "stop reading those stupid threads you won't learn english there" :p:

WalterBenitez
05-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Also, earlier this year, I noticed hearing the word "machismo" used repetitively by ESPN sportscasters after Jon Amaechi used it in his "coming out" interview.

Machismo = a strong or exaggerated sense of manliness; an assumptive attitude that virility, courage, strength, and entitlement to dominate are attributes or concomitants of masculinity.

Coming from dictionary.com :rolleyes

samikeyp
05-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Chippy has been used for years in describing hockey games....I guess someone felt the need to bring it to basketball.

DarrinS
05-20-2007, 08:29 AM
I think it should be Bruce's nickname. That is the best way to describe his game, IMO.

Bruce "Chippy" Bowen

Nah. It doesn't flow.

Clutch20
05-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Is it just me, or has this adjective been used an inordinate number of times............?
Yeah darkzero, I didn't want to appear clueless so I just went along a couple of weeks back when I started hearing it. It is an adjective. I would say the media has received memos from some dark office in the NBA to saturate game commentary with that word to "soften" the concept of those players who have a combative attitude and show premedited thoughts of being a highly visible antagonist, ready to show anger and fight from the get go.
Chippy for having a "chip on your shoulder, maybe?"
Well, chip this! HEB and Spurs had the chip idea first :lol

Clutch20
05-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Chippy has been used for years in describing hockey games....I guess someone felt the need to bring it to basketball.
Oh, ok, I get it now. Thanks samikeyp.

tmtcsc
05-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Jeff Vexler on 760 fell in love with the word. It's tired and goofy when it comes to describing basketball play that has become infused with a touch of underlying hostility and agressive play.

I think "chippy" best describes precipitation that is somewhere between a steady drizzle and a light drizzle of rain. Usually doesn't require an umbrella. For example:

Is it raining ?
"No, its kind of chippy chippy".

GrandeDavid
05-20-2007, 09:05 AM
I just read it used by Marty Burns and Charley Rose, so yes, I think its in vogue. I don't plan on using it anytime soon though.

tsb2000
05-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I heard Barkley using it a few years ago. I had always thought it wasn't a real word, just a "Barkley-ism." :)

Dex
05-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm just glad they stopped giving players a blow on the bench.

DDS4
05-20-2007, 11:47 AM
I've heard "taint" or "tainted" more times than I can remember.

boutons_
05-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Obstructed Colon, go fuck your constipated self.

"chippy" is the new "edgy".

beirmeistr
05-20-2007, 12:36 PM
chippy----to have a chip. In this case, the Spurs have Chip Engellund (spelling?)