PDA

View Full Version : how about "big ball"?

violentkitten
05-20-2007, 01:17 PM
just a thought, but the jazz offer the spurs a chance to go big in this series, with perhaps td/horry/elson matching up against boozer/okur/kirilenko respectively. bruce and tony in the backcourt covering williams and fisher.

BradLohaus
05-20-2007, 10:18 PM
It would be interesting; Horry did play SF with the Rockets when Hakeem and Otis Thorpe were also on the floor, but Pop would probably think that the bigs would be logging too many individual minutes with 3 of them on the court at one time.

FireSternin2007
05-20-2007, 10:20 PM
just a thought, but the jazz offer the spurs a chance to go big in this series, with perhaps td/horry/elson matching up against boozer/okur/kirilenko respectively. bruce and tony in the backcourt covering williams and fisher.

Your biggest win is Manu. SA should play him for at least 30-35 a night. With TD and Oberto, that is enough size to combat Boozer and Okur, mainly because Okur doesn't have much of a post-up game.

LilMissSPURfect
05-20-2007, 10:21 PM
how about "big ball"? better than the no balls series :lol

T Park
05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
only problem i have with it, is Manu isn't in it.

Thats about it.

CosmicCowboy
05-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Any frontcourt anchored by Tim Duncan has big balls.

ooops. I'm sorry. You said big ball. My bad.

I actually think that relaying the bigs like they are doing will be more effective.

Jazz weakness is really their guards.

If DFish was our starting 2 guard the peanut gallery would be screaming for Pop's head.

spurtime
05-20-2007, 10:26 PM
We can't play small ball for big minutes in this series, that's for sure. The moment our FG% decreases we'd get murdered. Horry, Oberto, and/or Elson will need to give us some help on the glass. This rebounding disparity must be lessened.

spursfaninla
05-20-2007, 10:26 PM
We were out-rebounded BADLY. We knew they would do that, but not THIS bad. It was something like by 15, and predictably they took about 16 extra shots.

We took 13 more free thows than they did; if we didn't I think its obvious we don't win this game.

Going big would solve the rebounding problem MAYBE. Elson and Horry didn't really contribute much on the rebounding end with their minutes. And their scoring was anemic. If we gave them more minutes, it takes away from Finley, which means we score less.

I think this is just an inherent relative weakness that we will have tough out. They will have to combat our quickness and scoring, and we will have to deal with the fact that they will out-rebound us.

CosmicCowboy
05-20-2007, 10:29 PM
We were out-rebounded BADLY. We knew they would do that, but not THIS bad. It was something like by 15, and predictably they took about 16 extra shots.

We took 13 more free thows than they did; if we didn't I think its obvious we don't win this game.

Going big would solve the rebounding problem MAYBE. Elson and Horry didn't really contribute much on the rebounding end with their minutes. And their scoring was anemic. If we gave them more minutes, it takes away from Finley, which means we score less.

I think this is just an inherent relative weakness that we will have tough out. They will have to combat our quickness and scoring, and we will have to deal with the fact that they will out-rebound us.

You can't really look at the box score on that one. The big disparity came in the last 2 minutes when the game was pretty much in the bag.

Don Quixote
05-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Jazz weakness is really their guards.

If DFish was our starting 2 guard the peanut gallery would be screaming for Pop's head.

Umm ... maybe you mean to say that their weakness is their 2, Fisher. Because their point guard is pretty darn good.

Fisher's good, too, but is probably a backup PG at best, albeit a good one.

Don Quixote
05-20-2007, 10:31 PM
And whatever happened to small ball???

Oh yeah. All those team who play it are gone now. I guess they weren't good enough.

CosmicCowboy
05-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Umm ... maybe you mean to say that their weakness is their 2, Fisher. Because their point guard is pretty darn good.

Fisher's good, too, but is probably a backup PG at best, albeit a good one.

Yeah, I'm saying that in a 7 game series our guards should be the difference.

Deron is great but the Spurs are soooo much deeper in the backcourt.

He has to play great 7 games.

Spurs have the luxury of having Parker, Ginobili, Finley, Barry, and the rest of the supporting cast.

If someone is having an off night then there will probably be someone else to take up the slack and get the minutes.

It makes the margin for error smaller.

timvp
05-21-2007, 12:09 AM
I thought about such a lineup. I think you actually have to start thinking about it if the Jazz keep doubling up the Spurs on the boards.

Oh and if the Spurs think about playing small ball this series, they might set all time lows in rebounding in a game.

Sec24Row7
05-21-2007, 12:14 AM
We outrebounded the Jazz twice in the regular season this year...

BeerIsGood!
05-21-2007, 12:16 AM
That puts a lot of pressure on Oberto during the minutes when he's pretty much the only big on the floor, or the only rested big during sub minutes. He's been up to the task, so probably not a problem.

mavsfan1000
05-21-2007, 12:21 AM
"I got big balls.
Oh I got big balls.
They're such big balls
And they're dirty big balls
And he's got big balls
And She's got big balls.
But we got the biggest balls of them all."

Cry Havoc
05-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Parker
Manu
Bruce
Duncan
Oberto.

That should be enough to get our Rebs.

If we need it:

Parker
Manu
Horry
Duncan
Oberto

Just tell our guys to stay active and box out.

WalterBenitez
05-21-2007, 07:06 AM
better than the no balls series :lol

You are not well informed, Dallas isn't palying anymore :lol