PDA

View Full Version : Craziest night of my life to watch my Spurs

Admidave50
05-20-2007, 04:01 PM
The game was scheduled at 3:30 am in China and everything looks to be fine.

I managed to get up a 3:20 and didn't smash my alarm clock against the wall, which was a good sign.
I was then comfortably sitting on my couch with my laptop on my knees, sopcast on and working, posting and surfing on ST!

Everything was perfect, even ABC commentators were rubbing off Duncan saying that he was the greatest PF of all time and they said Bowen wasn't a dirty player!

With 5 min to go before the starting of the game, my world started to fall!
Without any explications, my connection internet started to go down as I was carefully watching my sopcast connection going from 85 to 0...
This is how the night/day started to get crazy, so I was trying desperately to find another wireless network (I was actually connected to my neighbor's network, can't blame getting internet for free) and I started my second laptop. Trying like crazy for 10 min, I started to think that it was going to be dead and I won't be able to watch my Spurs playing, which is usually a bad sign for myself and usually means a loss when things go that bad.

But, I attempted my last desperation move, I called my best friend at 3:45 am in the morning knowing that he has the most sensitive sleep as all people I know but what are friends for if you can't use them for a situation like this one?
I was saying to myself, wtf let's go crash internet at his place hehe
Then, as a smart guy as he is he turned off his cell, but hopefully for myself I managed to find his home phone in a crappy book lost in my apartment.

As a best friend, he couldn't refuse it to me, so I started to call for a cab (it's cheap in China, had to pay 2$ to get there).
But God the trip to my buddy's house was the longest I ever had with no cars on the streets. The worst thing is to wait stupidly at a light stop for 5 min and there isn't any traffic.
Hopefully, after avoiding a car accident (the driver was sleepy, can't blame him when you know taxi drivers in China work 20 hours a day), I arrived at my friend's flat and managed to watch the game.

I witnessed one of the best defensive and offensive game (arrive just in time to watch the 2nd quarter) from the Spurs since a long time!

It's good to be a Spurs fan, story from a French guy living and watching the game from China :spin

We're +18 at the halftime, let's finish the Jazz and make them sing the Blues!

GO SPURS GO

Sam
05-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Great fan story. Hope it holds out. They need to win it for all that you've done just to watch them and root them on.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Holy ass, man!

That's funny (not that your net went out, just the experience).

Man. :tu

David@SLCC
05-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Tell me about it. I'm in Beijing and woke up at 3am thinking that either CCTV or BTV would show the game, but it turns out that they didn't. Thank godness for sopcast!

judaspriestess
05-20-2007, 04:28 PM
a true Spurs fan baby!!

glad you made it.

samikeyp
05-20-2007, 04:33 PM
That's hardcore. Love your dedication! :tu

SANANTOJAMES
05-20-2007, 04:42 PM
nice

manuchick
05-20-2007, 04:43 PM
wow that is so cool you are a true spurs fan. I am new to the board and I know they will win for you! Go Spurs Go!!!!!!!!!!!! :blah

Admidave50
05-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Tell me about it. I'm in Beijing and woke up at 3am thinking that either CCTV or BTV would show the game, but it turns out that they didn't. Thank godness for sopcast!

LOL, I tried the TV in my desperating attempts even know I knew there were very little chance to see a basketball game at this time.
I was right, both tv channels were showing the exact same soccer game.. wtf

slayermin
05-20-2007, 04:57 PM
And I'm worried about making sure I watch the game in High Def.

Props.

jmard5
05-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Spurs win. Nice way to show your support.

alamo50
05-20-2007, 05:11 PM
That's just awsome man.
We just couldn't lose this one because of this!

I was introduced to SopCast by another french Spurs fan (dave14, merci!) during half time of this game myself (LOL)!

Ok, past midnight now and got to go to work in the morning.
Stop fouling Utah, damned!

;)

GO SPURS GO!!!

GrandeDavid
05-20-2007, 05:38 PM
You are a true fan. You make me proud.

ALVAREZ6
05-20-2007, 05:54 PM
:clap

LuvBones
05-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Who said no one outside of San Antonio or Utah would watch this series? :lol

That's dedication for real..

BigBeezie
05-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Good luck with watching future games!!!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-20-2007, 07:21 PM
You know that watching a game on Sopcast takes about 1G of downloads? Your neighbour is going to be pissed when he/she gets the bill! :lol

Nice dedication, well done. :)

What are you doing in China?

mVp
05-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Props man!! nice story :clap

NorCal510
05-20-2007, 07:41 PM
i like this guy

lilmads
05-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Amazing! That's awesome fan spirit! I'm sure you weren't disappointed with the win :)

bdictjames
05-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Wow, getting up early morning just to watch the Spurs isnt easy.

Guess that made your day huh

SpursFan0728
05-20-2007, 08:03 PM
and i'll b liek u in 3 days
i am travelling to shanghai and i'll have to watch games at late night too

GSH
05-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Heh...we spent the entire last season in the Middle-East, and listened to every game via the Internet. Some days I was so tired at work, I thought I was going to die. The people we worked with knew about the NBA playoffs, but they still thought we were nuts. You brought back some memories, and really made me laugh.

I hope you get to experience the one thing we missed out on - a championship celebration.

timvp
05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Nice story :tu

We need to bring in some die hard fans like you to the Spurs playoff games so that it is louder than a regular season game.

conversekid
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
The game was scheduled at 3:30 am in China and everything looks to be fine.

I managed to get up a 3:20 and didn't smash my alarm clock against the wall, which was a good sign.
I was then comfortably sitting on my couch with my laptop on my knees, sopcast on and working, posting and surfing on ST!

Everything was perfect, even ABC commentators were rubbing off Duncan saying that he was the greatest PF of all time and they said Bowen wasn't a dirty player!

With 5 min to go before the starting of the game, my world started to fall!
Without any explications, my connection internet started to go down as I was carefully watching my sopcast connection going from 85 to 0...
This is how the night/day started to get crazy, so I was trying desperately to find another wireless network (I was actually connected to my neighbor's network, can't blame getting internet for free) and I started my second laptop. Trying like crazy for 10 min, I started to think that it was going to be dead and I won't be able to watch my Spurs playing, which is usually a bad sign for myself and usually means a loss when things go that bad.

But, I attempted my last desperation move, I called my best friend at 3:45 am in the morning knowing that he has the most sensitive sleep as all people I know but what are friends for if you can't use them for a situation like this one?
I was saying to myself, wtf let's go crash internet at his place hehe
Then, as a smart guy as he is he turned off his cell, but hopefully for myself I managed to find his home phone in a crappy book lost in my apartment.

As a best friend, he couldn't refuse it to me, so I started to call for a cab (it's cheap in China, had to pay 2$ to get there).
But God the trip to my buddy's house was the longest I ever had with no cars on the streets. The worst thing is to wait stupidly at a light stop for 5 min and there isn't any traffic.
Hopefully, after avoiding a car accident (the driver was sleepy, can't blame him when you know taxi drivers in China work 20 hours a day), I arrived at my friend's flat and managed to watch the game.

I witnessed one of the best defensive and offensive game (arrive just in time to watch the 2nd quarter) from the Spurs since a long time!

It's good to be a Spurs fan, story from a French guy living and watching the game from China :spin

We're +18 at the halftime, let's finish the Jazz and make them sing the Blues!

GO SPURS GO

Gotta love the playoffs :toast

Admidave50
05-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm in Shanghai for my internship, I try hard to not let my boss know my love for basketball and the Spurs so he can't have any suspicions of me watching games at office and surfing on ST!

Yesterday was a good game and I'm definitely glad that I didn't miss it. Didn't sleep much though (3-4 hrs) but I'm used to this lifestyle as I've been watching the Spurs on French cable at 2am like forever!

Admidave50
05-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Nice story :tu

We need to bring in some die hard fans like you to the Spurs playoff games so that it is louder than a regular season game.

I'll try to save some money to make a trip for the Spurs playoff games for the next years, it's clearly one of my dream! Tired to cheer for my Spurs on lonely nights, need to be with true Spurs fans :toast

alamo50
05-21-2007, 12:10 AM
I'll try to save some money to make a trip for the Spurs playoff games for the next years, it's clearly one of my dream! Tired to cheer for my Spurs on lonely nights, need to be with true Spurs fans :toast

Live your dream man.
Just do it.

Admidave50
05-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Live your dream man.
Just do it.

I saw that you've done it already several times, luck man!

alamo50
05-21-2007, 12:47 AM
I saw that you've done it already several times, luck man!

A little bit of luck and a big part of dedication.
Go for it.
I warn you though, it's addiciting.
Your blood wil turn from red to pure silver and black.

:flag:

debKISS10
05-21-2007, 02:33 AM
Bravo!

polandprzem
05-21-2007, 02:52 AM
:D

How about wakeing up at 3am 2 days after surgery with great pain just to see how the boxscores changing?
That was last year with me.

In Poland it is always night when NBA plays .

Well tghe afternoon game like Utah started 9:30 pm

Great story :tu

THE SIXTH MAN
05-21-2007, 03:20 AM
:clap

JPB
05-21-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm in Shanghai for my internship, I try hard to not let my boss know my love for basketball and the Spurs so he can't have any suspicions of me watching games at office and surfing on ST!

Yesterday was a good game and I'm definitely glad that I didn't miss it. Didn't sleep much though (3-4 hrs) but I'm used to this lifestyle as I've been watching the Spurs on French cable at 2am like forever!

I feel you my french fellow. I'm glad yesterday's game was an "afternoon" game which means a 9h30 PM game in France (Europe). It was definitely a worth watching.

How about wakeing up at 3am 2 days after surgery with great pain just to see how the boxscores changing?
That was last year with me

Good old days...

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Good story.
I was in Laos during the 2003 title. Amazingly, I was able to find a cafe that had a dish, and I begged the owner to look for the NBA playoffs. He was able to find the Spurs feed from Chinese TV. The game was on at 7 am and I paid him to open early just for me. He handed me the remote, which was a blessing because some Eurotrash came in later and wanted to watch f'ricken soccer highlights...right in the middle of Spurs playoff action.