PDA

View Full Version : deron williams...wow

coachmac87
05-20-2007, 06:43 PM
this guy is scary good...i have really never seen so much maturity and confidence and how he has already became such a leader...only 22 and first year starting...he is on the verge of being one of the best pg...spurs have to put bowen on him and make parker guard fisher....he makes the jazz go...that boy is so wet with the jumper too

SAGambler
05-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Question is....Can he do it on a consistent basis?

We've seen Manu go off for 40. Seen Tony go off for close to 40. But they can't do it night in and night out.

Let's see if Williams is for real, or if this was just a fluke shooting night in a desperate situation. Game 2 should give us an indication of that.

conversekid
05-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Question is....Can he do it on a consistent basis?

We've seen Manu go off for 40. Seen Tony go off for close to 40. But they can't do it night in and night out.

Let's see if Williams is for real, or if this was just a fluke shooting night in a desperate situation. Game 2 should give us an indication of that.

Did you watch the Golden State series? If so, you would know it wasn't a fluke. I'm sure pop will adjust the defense to ensure he doesn't run circles around us - but it wasn't a fluke.

SAGambler
05-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Just took at quick look at the stats and actually Williams is only the 8th best shooting percentage player on that team.

So I'm guessing this afternoon was kind of a fluke.

CosmicCowboy
05-20-2007, 06:56 PM
I was really surprised Pop didn't put Bowen on him from the start.

gives us a good adjustment to use later, though...

SAGambler
05-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Did you watch the Golden State series? If so, you would know it wasn't a fluke. I'm sure pop will adjust the defense to ensure he doesn't run circles around us - but it wasn't a fluke.

Well, we all know Golden State doesn't play much D, so that could account for him in that series.

But for the season he has the 8th best shooting percentage on the team and is like the 3rd or 4th in points.

conversekid
05-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Just took at quick look at the stats and actually Williams is only the 8th best shooting percentage player on that team.

So I'm guessing this afternoon was kind of a fluke.

I guess you answered my question: You didn't watch the series. The "percentages" don't tell the story of how that kid played.

mVp
05-20-2007, 07:04 PM
We MUST shut him down... I think he'll be the key in this series

TheTruth
05-20-2007, 07:06 PM
We don't have to shut DW down to win this series. We didn't this game and we still won by 7. Keep Boozer and Okur under their season averages, and we run away with this thing.

DW HAD to step up in the 4th just to keep this from being a 20 point Spurs' win.

That said, DW was awesome today. Great young talent. Tony is still gonna abuse him all series long on the defensive end.

smeagol
05-20-2007, 07:07 PM
We've seen Manu go off for 40. Seen Tony go off for close to 40. But they can't do it night in and night out. .

Who can go 34 pts, 7 rebounds, 9 dishes and one steal night in and night out?

I'm sure this was one of Deron's better games, but it will be hard to maintain those numbers throughout the series.

T Park
05-20-2007, 07:08 PM
If Bowen gets some rest, and comes out and adjusts, he won't be doing that again.

powerpower
05-20-2007, 07:10 PM
bowennnnnnnnnnn will be on him probably the whole game two + manu and tony.....but we need to shut him up because he is the key for the Utah jazz in this series. And believe it or not but I think he is feeling pretty good about himself now after that kind of performance in game 1.

austinfan
05-20-2007, 07:12 PM
We don't have to shut DW down to win this series. We didn't this game and we still won by 7. Keep Boozer and Okur under their season averages, and we run away with this thing.

Yeah, I think Pop and Co. will "Stoudemire" Deron Williams, letting him get his 25-30 each night, and focus on keeping the other guys on the Jazz from getting into a rhythm.

TheTruth
05-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I think Pop and Co. will "Stoudemire" Deron Williams, letting him get his 25-30 each night, and focus on keeping the other guys on the Jazz from getting into a rhythm.
The thing is, Derron won't be getting 25-30 every night. Bruce was fatigued and it showed. We get a typical Bruce game today, and we win by 20.

ducks
05-20-2007, 07:19 PM
spurs were tired game was not in doubt and he went off
he is scary good though

Findog
05-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Do the Jazz have the inside track on resigning this guy? If not, Cuban needs to clear some cap room to offer this guy a max contract. He's a local boy.

picnroll
05-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Do the Jazz have the inside track on resigning this guy? If not, Cuban needs to clear some cap room to offer this guy a max contract. He's a local boy.

?

He's on the second year of a rookie contract.

greens
05-20-2007, 07:26 PM
So was Tony guarding Deron the whole time? Or did Bruce also guard him a little bit?

samikeyp
05-20-2007, 07:32 PM

I wondered about that....I thought I saw a tattoo on his arm shaped like Texas.

powerpower
05-20-2007, 07:33 PM
So was Tony guarding Deron the whole time? Or did Bruce also guard him a little bit?

bruce was guarding him more than tony and i also saw manu guaring him

greens
05-20-2007, 07:38 PM
bruce was guarding him more than tony and i also saw manu guaring him

Oh, Manu, too. Didn't notice it during the game. Deron was actually pretty quiet during the first three quarters. Then he really went off in the fourth quarter. So I'm just wondering who was guarding him more in the fourth...Perhaps it was a split between Tony and Bruce on Deron in the fourth. Although, I heard some of the comentators saying that Bruce should be guarding Deron more in the fourth, but then Pop went with Tony...lol...I guess I'm just trying to see against which defender Deron went off at in the fourth...

Slinkyman
05-20-2007, 07:51 PM
i doubt he keeps it up since tonight was his best scoring night... ever. 16ppg for the season so i'm not too worried about him going off every night. also he scored most his points in garbage time, 12 points in the final 4 minutes.

T Park
05-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Hes a great point guard.

IMO, he reminds me of a better shooting version of Jason Kidd.

But, if Bowen can limit him, make him take bad shots, that helps.

Finley, Ginobili, Parker have GOT to help tim and Oberto downlow.

The offensive rebounding was out of hand and ascanine tonight.

peskypesky
05-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Deron is most definitely an awesome young talent. But he went off in the 4th quarter when the Spurs were relaxing a bit due to their nice lead. Plus, they may have been a bit more tired than the Jazz since they'd had less rest.

I know he'll be good throughout the series, but he doesn't worry me. Not like Nash did. He's no Nash yet...not even close.

pjjrfan
05-20-2007, 08:37 PM
I was really surprised Pop didn't put Bowen on him from the start.

gives us a good adjustment to use later, though...
He did, but Bowen got two quick fouls and by the time he put Bruce back on him he was on a roll and pretty much doing what he wanted. Bruce has a better chance of stopping people when he can work them from the get go.

Kori Ellis
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
The Spurs just stopped playing D at the half.

DarrinS
05-20-2007, 08:44 PM
That dunk over Oberto was pretty sick. What is Deron, like 6'2"? He looks bigger.

timvp
05-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Where's the backpatter when I need it for saying Deron Williams would have a breakout season?

This guy has Jason-Kidd-with-a-jumper potential.