PDA

View Full Version : The Other Argentinian

Tippecanoe
05-20-2007, 06:44 PM
I was quite surprised how well Oberto did today. 14 points and 7 rebounds to go with his 6-8 shooting in 28 minutes. IMO, his defense wasnt too bad either. your thoughts?

SAGambler
05-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Thought Fabs did a hell of a good job today.

He and Tim do seem to communicate well out there.

Hope he keeps up the productive minutes.

Spurs Brazil
05-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Props to Oberto, great game

ashbeeigh
05-20-2007, 06:48 PM
He's been pretty darn fabulous the last few games. Those who question him sometimes should take notice.

ALVAREZ6
05-20-2007, 06:48 PM
He played great, made a difference in the game. He's stepping up this postseason.

TampaDude
05-20-2007, 06:54 PM
He played great, made a difference in the game. He's stepping up this postseason.

Agreed...Oberto had a great game today! :toast

mVp
05-20-2007, 06:57 PM
His movement off the ball was great, and his defense wasn't bad at all... I hope he keeps up this level

powerpower
05-20-2007, 07:03 PM
yeah he was very good today...

duncanchick21
05-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Good job Fab!!! :clap :downspin: :flag: :flag: :cheer

spurster
05-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Oberto is learning from Horry by stepping it up during the playoffs.

smeagol
05-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Props to Oberto, great game
Doth my eyes decieve me?

Are you becoming a believer? :spin

ducks
05-20-2007, 07:15 PM
oberto does not want to go back to europe

zekes
05-20-2007, 07:16 PM
bravo Fabri :tu

austinfan
05-20-2007, 07:19 PM
I love watching Manu's feeds into Oberto in the low post. You can tell they've played together for years and years by the way that the passes are so crisp and automatic.

CubanMustGo
05-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Manu and Fabri know each other so well, glad we are finally taking advantage of their joint basketball IQ.

Nice to see Timmay find Fabri, too. :tu

smeagol
05-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Scola anybody?

Warlord23
05-20-2007, 07:40 PM
If the ball movement continues to be this good, both Oberto (6-8 FG) and Elson (3-3 FG) will get gilt-edged opportunities to score ... hope they can continue to make fundamental, smart plays

VaSpursFan
05-20-2007, 07:46 PM
oberto is not the most athletic guy in the world, but he has a very high b-ball IQ. he's all hustle and just makes the right play at the right time.

Fabricio Oberto
05-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Props to me.

Darkwaters
05-20-2007, 08:19 PM
I definitely have been highly critical of Fabricio in the past. I felt he was a waste of a roster spot and have openly said that I think his contract should be bought out if he can't be traded. However, he has been so amazing in the playoffs. I completely take back what I've said about him in the past. The guy has a spot on this team as long as he picks up his play in the playoffs. The guy is an Horry knock-off in so many intangible categories.

peskypesky
05-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Props to Fabricio. I've always known he had the potential to contribute to another Championship run. Let's hope he keeps it up.

GrandeDavid
05-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Fab is super cool. I'm glad he's getting lots of floor time and making the most of them. He's a tough, scrappy player.

jmard5
05-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Oberto plays along well with Manu on their pick and rolls.
Oberto also plays along well with Duncan by going backdoors and moving without the ball.

Parker needs to play well with Oberto.

MajorMike
05-20-2007, 08:35 PM
He moved great without the ball, had some nice buckets on Tim and Manu dimes, and played some decent D. To be honest, there really wasn't much D to play down low, as Boozer is the only post player they have and he only had one bucket until late.

T Park
05-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Another detractor here loving him making me look bad.

Oberto today was fantastic.

Hope he keeps up the effort, and grab a couple more rebounds from Milsap and Kirilenko.

timvp
05-20-2007, 08:58 PM

Oberto was a big game player before the Spurs got him. That's why a lot of us wanted him on the Spurs for years.

When the lights shine brightest, Oberto has shown the ability to play above his capabilities.

DarrinS
05-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Jesus has game. Smart basketball player.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I love watching Manu's feeds into Oberto in the low post. You can tell they've played together for years and years by the way that the passes are so crisp and automatic.

Indeed. Sometimes I'm just astonished at some Spurs fans. Oberto has been a professional player for 12 years playing in one of the most competitive FIBA leagues in the world. Winning pretty much everything. He just needs an NBA ring.

Ginobil and Oberto know themselves a lot from the argentinian team so it's no secret there are plays they just will make happen.

Solid D
He has struggled with consistency this year but when the Spurs have needed him to step up, he has.

I've been an admirer of Fabri's play for about 5 years. He's not a super athlete but he's got great instincts. He's a basketball player in the truest sense.

Darkwaters
Oberto was a big game player before the Spurs got him. That's why a lot of us wanted him on the Spurs for years.

When the lights shine brightest, Oberto has shown the ability to play above his capabilities.

If Oberto can play like this then imagine multi-Euroleague MVP Luis Scola.

Why are we giving up on him again?

timvp
05-20-2007, 09:03 PM
If Oberto can play like this then imagine multi-Euroleague MVP Luis Scola.

Why are we giving up on him again?

I'd like to see Scola in a Spurs uniform. However, Scola isn't known for coming up big in big games like Oberto.

timvp
05-20-2007, 09:04 PM
He has struggled with consistency this year but when the Spurs have needed him to step up, he has.

I've been an admirer of Fabri's play for about 5 years. He's not a super athlete but he's got great instincts. He's a basketball player in the truest sense.

Special props to Solid D for tracking Oberto for years and posting updates on the forum. He was keeping Spurs fans updated on Oberto long before the Spurs showed any interest in him.

It's paying off quite nicely now :smokin

iflyabeech
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
I think TP had a really nice feed to him under the basket.

Darkwaters
05-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Special props to Solid D for tracking Oberto for years and posting updates on the forum. He was keeping Spurs fans updated on Oberto long before the Spurs showed any interest in him.

It's paying off quite nicely now :smokin

Too bad we didn't nab Hermann too.

smeagol
05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Too bad we didn't nab Hermann too.
Man, you love us Argentines!

Darkwaters
05-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Man, you love us Argentines!

Bring me Scola, Hermann and Nocioni. I'd take them all.

smeagol
05-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Bring me Scola, Hermann and Nocioni. I'd take them all.
:tu

Solid D
05-20-2007, 09:23 PM
timvp is too kind. Speaking of talent...another player who has been under close watch in this forum for several years is Dimitrios Diamantidis. Everybody knows about him now, but he's a clutch contributor and he's been the best defender in Europe for several years. He's more of a combo guard but he's a great all-around player.

http://www.euroleague.net/resourceserver/2089/b5de75e9-26b9-4125-bb5c-30691cab4e9b/c2ca39433260f443edc1d848f09b115a/cl/en-US/filename/b5de75e9-26b9-4125-bb5c-30691cab4e9b.jpg

Darkwaters
05-20-2007, 09:35 PM
timvp is too kind. Speaking of talent...another player who has been under close watch in this forum for several years is Dimitrios Diamantidis. Everybody knows about him now, but he's a clutch contributor and he's been the best defender in Europe for several years. He's more of a combo guard but he's a great all-around player.

http://www.euroleague.net/resourceserver/2089/b5de75e9-26b9-4125-bb5c-30691cab4e9b/c2ca39433260f443edc1d848f09b115a/cl/en-US/filename/b5de75e9-26b9-4125-bb5c-30691cab4e9b.jpg

Actually, I don't know much about him. Anybody else I should look up and read up on?

violentkitten
05-20-2007, 09:38 PM
all the more talent from europe they can sign on the cheap the better.

Solid D
05-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Actually, I don't know much about him. Anybody else I should look up and read up on?

Well, for PGs there is another Argentine, Pablo Prigioni. Theo Papaloukas is a terrific playmaker/penetrator/scorer. The Slovenians in here will tell you about a Big named Smodis.

Darkwaters
05-20-2007, 09:47 PM
We should have grabbed Garbajosa.

Darkwaters
05-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Well, for PGs there is another Argentine, Pable Prigioni. Theo Papaloukas is a terrific playmaker/penetrator/scorer. The Slovenians in here will tell you about a Big named Smodis.

I know Prigioni. Hes like 30. But still, thats younger that many of our players. Lead the Euroleague in assists.

Kori Ellis
Solid D, what do you know about Omri Caspi?

violentkitten
ok, we are in need of a backup 1 and if there is a 5 we might need him too. who we got on the continent?

Solid D
05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Solid D, what do you know about Omri Caspi?

I haven't been able to follow many of the younger players (U19) this year due to my work schedule. I just know he can score, has played at the pro level (Maccabi and Hapoel), and went to the Nike Hoop Summit.

Strike
05-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Hopefully this is just a taste of things to come.

Too bad he's already pretty old by NBA standards.

jazzin7
05-20-2007, 10:35 PM

Oberto Who? I had barely even remembered he played on your team. And Ellison? I actually had never heard of him. Both played great -- do you guys usually go this deep in your rotation, have these guys played like that during the season, or was this a one nighter? What did you think of our no-name, Rafeal Aurujo? He gave Duncan fits in SLC during the regular and played him all right for about 8 min today.

Solid D
05-20-2007, 10:42 PM
The Spurs went 10-deep this year, even versus the Suns.
I think Araujo can defend Timmy well when he posts-up. He will foul and play physical, but Timmy has been somewhat conditioned to a tough, strong-based player in Kurt Thomas.

Kori Ellis
05-20-2007, 10:54 PM
I haven't been able to follow many of the younger players (U19) this year due to my work schedule. I just know he can score, has played at the pro level (Maccabi and Hapoel), and went to the Nike Hoop Summit.

Israeli basketball fans seem to think he's going to become an NBA phenom, but I've just seen one short clip of him.

Cherry
05-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Ginobil and Oberto know themselves a lot from the argentinian team so it's no secret there are plays they just will make happen.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2929/sub19teamso5.jpg

xamila rey
05-20-2007, 11:32 PM
cherry,,,
great pix! scola looks super skinny..
i guess Oberto gotta be the number 7,
but from this pix i cant really tell
How old was Manu in that pix? do u know?

Quasar
05-20-2007, 11:40 PM
I see manu in that pic, but where's Oberto??

xamila rey
05-20-2007, 11:46 PM
it gotta be the one at the rigth on the floor.

Cherry
05-20-2007, 11:53 PM
I think Manu was 16 or 17 years old in that pic. Fabricio is on the floor.
Can you find Pepe Sanchez? they are so young :lol

xamila rey
05-21-2007, 12:00 AM
yeah cherry they look all so young,
and they actually have hair.
no bold spots......
props 4 finding that pix :toast

SpursIndonesia
05-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Scola anybody?

I'd hit him, to trade his right for Bulls high pick on perhaps Corry Brewer. :cooldevil

ducks
05-21-2007, 01:14 AM
I Take Brewer Over Scola

TDMVPDPOY
05-21-2007, 01:47 AM
looks like scola enjoys standing from behind that dude

Big P
05-21-2007, 01:54 AM
I like what Oberto is doing for us now & if he keeps playing like this he could be raising his trade value.

Otaku
05-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Lol!

The Truth #6
05-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Manu+Oberto on the court together should be mandatory. They brought out the best of each of other. Because Francisco played well today, I'd be intrigued with him returning to the starting lineup so Oberto and Manu can enter the game together at the same time which would help maximize Manu's time on the court.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-21-2007, 03:22 AM
Props to Oberto.

thousandth
05-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Jesus has game. Smart basketball player.

I love Jesus!!! :)

WalterBenitez
05-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Okey, let's say we got Scola this summer, send a couple of player to Chicago for Chapu and change those colours for blue and white and we got a real World Champ :wow

WalterBenitez
05-21-2007, 06:51 AM

Oberto need to learn how to touch Nash in the air ... that would be the final lesson :D

WalterBenitez
05-21-2007, 06:54 AM

:lol @ that pic ... they look so young ...

WalterBenitez
05-21-2007, 06:55 AM
looks like scola enjoys standing from behind that dude
:lmao

mattyc
05-21-2007, 07:23 AM
I like him. His work off the ball is tops and his 2nd efforts are a handy complement for Duncan. Oberto is very smooth off the glass and I'd say he is all round more worthwhile than Nazr or Rasho.

ducks
05-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Oberto if he brings it every night is not bad
he takes to many games off though

manubili
05-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Finally I can see Oberto playing like he did in the Argentina NT. It took him a while to adjust to NBA and the Spurs. Now he is doing great.

Solid D
05-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Kori, I'm not sure if you have this info on Casspi, but here are some articles/updates on him since 2005.

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/OmriCasspi/1158125224.jpg

Casspi’s impressive outing in Mannheim wasn’t a fluke, and he certainly proved to have made strides since his average showings last summer. On a team that lacked some brains in the backcourt, he assumed the go-to role with intriguing although not always good results.

He now looks like much more of a natural perimeter player than last year. He might still not be a top-notch athlete, he might still suffer defensively against quick wings, but his skill set has evolved in the right direction. It’s really remarkable his ability to step into the lane dribbling past his defender. Showing very nice ball-handling skills, including a very effective crossover move, he gets by his rival after unbalancing him. But he also shows a nice first step and very good footwork to approach the basket, while his size, strength, body control and ability to convert layups do the rest. Those skills wouldn’t mean that much without the confidence and aggressiveness he shows (he eventually looks for contact penetrating), which make him succeed on a regular basis attacking the basket.

Although still inconsistent, his jumper is another source of consistent and versatile production. Casspi enjoys a wide array of releasing options, including range out to the three-point line, off-the-dribble skills, fade-away fashion, nice catch-and-shoot ability coming off a cut or the step-back jumper. However, and especially when shooting from the perimeter, his mechanics still could use some more consistency that would significantly help his accuracy. From mid-range distance, he sometimes knocks down shots so confidently and well-executed that you think he could never miss. He can eventually take advantage of his size and good strength in the low post against smaller defenders, even showing a decent semi-hook shot.

A smart player with a good feel for the game, he easily finds his teammates on the court beyond finding his own scoring options. Intense, aggressive, he shows plenty of character playing the game. He works well on defense and stays alert to the passing lines, although his lateral quickness is just average for a small forward, drawing concerns about his ability to stay in front of quick wings. A nice rebounder, he uses his length, strength and athleticism well. All in all, he’s a guy willing to do the little obscure things. Pair these characteristics with his skill set, and we have a guy set to succeed at least at the European stage.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=538

Omri Casspi - Current Team: Galil Elyon, International
Physicals:
H: 6' 8"
W: 220 lbs
Bday: 6/22/1988
(18 Years Old)
Positions:
Current: SF/PF
NBA: SF
Possible: SF
Rankings:
Rank 6 in International '88

Comparisons:
Best Case:
Worst Case:
Misc:
High School:
Hometown: Rehovot, Israel
Earliest Draft Class: 2007
Last Updated: 9/6/2005

Nike Hoop Summit World Team Player Recap (Part One)
April 11, 2007
The Israeli small forward came to Memphis just over a week after he led Galil Eliyon to an upset victory over European powerhouse Maccabi Tel Aviv in an Israeli league game. Casspi was ironically loaned to Galil from Maccabi at the beginning of the season, and will likely be returning there next year. With two seconds left in that game, he went to the coach during a timeout and asked for the ball which resulted in the game winning assist.

Throughout the week in practice, there were many great flashes of potential from Casspi in various aspects of the game. Despite his poor shooting mechanics, he knocked down some NBA range three pointers during the week, with a number of them coming in the two scrimmages. His consistency in this area will need to improve, and an adjustment to his form and release would help greatly.

Casspi possesses the athleticism to play the American game, and he made a number of creative slashing moves through the week to prove that. The ability to finish with either hand in traffic helps in this area, as does the good vertical leaping ability and the way he can take contact in the air. To further advance his game in this area, he will need to improve his creativity around the hoop.

An important area of Casspi’s game goes unnoticed unless you have the opportunity to see him in person. Throughout the practices this week, he was the vocal leader on the floor, offering encouragement and guidance to his teammates, especially the ones who struggled to grasp the English language. When there was a mismatch on the floor or when his team needed a pick me up, Casspi was sure to announce it to his team. The coach for the World Select team named him captain of the team because of the leadership he displayed throughout the week.

In the game, Omri Casspi had the best individual stretch of any player during one particularly impressive sequence. After the international team started slow, Casspi provided a much needed burst of energy. With around 5 minutes remaining in the second quarter and the world team down 40-13, he used an isolation drive to the hoop to draw a foul on Kevin Love. On the next world team possession he took the ball to the basket in transition for a surprising dunk on Patrick Patterson. Casspi made his way back down the floor to play defense, and then stole the ball, taking it coast to coast and finishing with a reverse dunk. This stretch by the young Israeli boosted the international team beyond their slow start, and gave them the spark needed to eventually cut the lead to 10.

The rest of the game led to a few more nice flashes for Casspi, but nothing that stood out like his run in the second quarter. In transition, he dribbled the length of the floor and made a nice spin move away from the defender before stepping towards the basket and drawing a foul. He also made a nice floater from about 8 feet on a baseline drive.

Defensively, Casspi will need work on his positioning, though he plays with great effort. He has the tendency to overplay the ball too often, which makes it easier for quicker players to get past him.

At this point, there is a small chance Casspi could enter his name in the draft, but he would surely withdraw it without a promise. He has the potential to be a good all-around small forward in the NBA, but improvements to his shooting and defense will be necessary before this happens. Another year of progress in Israel could do wonders for developing Omri Casspi’s game.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nike Hoop Summit Practices-- World Team (Day 4)
April 7, 2007
Omri Casspi again displayed some good potential, but struggled in the paint at times. Sometimes he gets caught in traffic with no place to go and this has led to a number turnovers over the past couple days. Casspi was knocking down the mid-range jumper today in the scrimmage, but his accuracy decreases when he tries to shoot off the dribble. In transition, the young Israeli has developed great chemistry with Nicolas Batum, and the two of them operated several fast breaks where the ball didn’t touch the floor until after it had passed through the basket. He has the ability to have a good showing in the game tomorrow, and it will be interesting to see how his game translates against the U.S. high schoolers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nike Hoop Summit Practices-- World Team (Day 3)
April 6, 2007
Omri Casspi struggled with his shot during the morning practice at the Nike facility, but knocked down a number of threes in the scrimmage back at the Fedex Forum, including a couple from NBA range. The Israeli forward also made a nice play in transition by giving the ball up to Nicholas Batum early, and cutting right to the basket for an easy layup. He created a number of nice scoring opportunities off the dribble throughout the game but will need to work on finishing against more athletic players once he gets to the rim. At the basket, Casspi kept getting caught in the air with no place to go and this led to a number of forced layup attempts. Defensively, he played with great effort throughout the scrimmage, but he will need to stop gambling for steals so often, and getting caught out of position.
Nike Hoop Summit Practices-- World Team (Day 2)
April 5, 2007
Omri Casspi played well again, though his jumper seems to come and go. He displayed very good athleticism a number of times, and touched the top of the square on the backboard with ease after practice. Casspi’s ability to read the defense is coming along nicely. He recognizes the mismatches quickly during the drills, and tries to be vocal to his teammates about exploiting the mismatch. For the second day in row, Casspi was the last player working on his game after practice, spending more time with the coaches on his shooting mechanics. In some transition drills, Casspi was able to take the ball end to end and make a crafty left handed finish near the basket, and he also made some really nice passes on the break. Shooting will be a big question mark from the scouts here, but he has all the other tools to be an NBA player.

Nike Hoop Summit Practices-- World Team (day one)
April 4, 2007
Israeli small forward Omri Casspi also stood out during the scrimmages, scoring the majority of his points slashing to the hoop. His shooting mechanics could still use some improvement, and he put in some extra time after practice with the coaching staff working on shooting form. Casspi’s feel for the game has progressed, and he made some very nice passes in traffic. Shot selection is still a work in progress for the young Israeli, though his slashing game appears to be a very good weapon at this point.
Roundup: Omri Casspi in a Heroic Victory over Maccabi
March 28, 2007
Omri Casspi looked impressive while leading his team Galil Elyon to an upset victory over the powerhouse Maccabi Tel Aviv, reason enough to grant him Player of the Week honours.

You can perfectly understand the immense joy showed by Galil players when the game finished, almost like they had just won a championship, given Maccabi’s tyrannical dominance over the years in the domestic competition. They were in fact undefeated this season in the Israeli League. Casspi was particularly expressive, even during the game. He’s a hot-blooded player whose rights actually belong to Maccabi (he’s loaned in Galil), which likely was extra motivation for him. He led his team in scoring with 17 points, adding 5 rebounds and 3 assists. He has scored in double digits in the last 7 games of the Israeli League, emerging as one of the currently best performers out of the 1988 international pool, only clearly behind Danilo Gallinari.

You have to love the passion and character Casspi showed in this game, even if he sometimes overreacts and acts a bit cocky. He’s actually a rather intense player, a fearless guy who rarely hides from responsibilities and loves to take the initiative. It’s pretty obvious just watching him grabbing a rebound and driving the ball to the offensive end with enormous confidence. Indeed his go-to move is pretty representative of that spirit, as he’s first a terrific slasher. It’s truly very difficult to keep him out of the lane; as he enjoys a quick first step, very nice ball-handling skills, solid footwork, good use of his body, and all the determination to attack his rivals. That’s remarkable for a 6-8 small forward like him. Maccabi players were hopeless trying to stop him, and he ended up forcing many fouls. Casspi is also becoming a solid shooter. He knocked down a couple of spot-up three-pointers and missed another one by a hair, and he now credits an excellent 45.7% from that range in the Israeli League this season. He’s effective off the dribble from the mid-range area, but wasn’t lucky here in this game. We could also see him delivering a rather orthodox right-handed jump-hook that almost went in, which tells us about his scoring mentality and skill adaptability.

Above anything, Casspi looks extremely natural playing the game. The visual impression couldn’t be better, as he enjoys an excellent frame and notable wingspan, so he leaves a mixed feeling of elegance and aggressiveness. He’s not an outstanding athlete, but is very fluid. It’s on defense where he suffers the most in this area. He’s aware of his limitations in terms of lateral quickness and prefers to concede space to his match-ups, risking easy shots, in order to prevent them from slashing. Still, he’s rather active on team defense and rebounding. He enjoys a nice basketball IQ, although he sometimes gets caught up in the fire of the game and eventually forces some plays. Just like it happened to him right after surprisingly blocking Nikola Vujcic, as he tried to complete the humiliation on the offensive end by attacking the Croatian center one-on-one in the first seconds of the possession, resulting in a very bad shot.

Anyway, Casspi might potentially be a first-round pick, and we’ll be following him closely. Particularly next week in the Nike Hoop Summit.
Blogging Through Israel (part four)
November 16, 2006
Omri Casspi played a good game for Galil, but all of his scoring came in the second and third quarters. Casspi made a turnover early in the game followed by a missed defensive rotation, so he was pulled after two minutes. He didn’t seem to be affected by his slow start when he re-entered the game at the 5:51 mark in the second quarter. Unable to finish on a nice drive to the left, he was able to get his own rebound and put the ball back into the hoop. Casspi also displayed the ability to create off the dribble when he jabbed left, took a dribble to the right, crossed back over, and made a mid-range jumper. His shooting mechanics aren’t the best, but his release is consistent and his shot goes in more often than not. He could help himself by releasing the ball a little bit higher and adding a little more elevation to his jump shot. Casspi made some nice drives to the basket, and does a good job controlling himself in the paint. On one drive he went left all the way to the basket, and brought the ball back to the right side and made a layup right under the defender’s arm. Omri displays good instincts when it comes to basketball, but will need to learn how to operate better within the flow of an offense.
Blogging Through Israel (part one)
November 7, 2006
Omri Casspi didn’t have a great game, though you can easily tell why he’s an NBA draft prospect. He’s about 6’8” with a good frame, and a long wingspan. He was originally developed to play the power forward position, but 2 years ago the decision was made that his future would be brighter as a small forward. Athletically, Casspi is smooth, and very coordinated, especially with his ball handling. He was able to penetrate into the paint numerous times off the dribble, and created some very easy baskets for him teammates in doing so. Sometimes international prospects get the reputation for being soft, but this isn’t the case with Casspi at all. Numerous times in the game he fought against much larger players in the paint. On one occasion he kept a big center off the boards with his body, and then elevated over him for an offensive rebound. Despite the fact that he’s still learning to play the small forward position, he has a very good feel for the game, and is often in the right place at the right time on the court. On the defensive end, Casspi moves his feet well, and can usually stay with opposing wing players, but he struggles to get up close to the defender and apply lockdown pressure, especially when trying to full court press. In zone defense, he was always able to be in the right position to help teammates and get rebounds. Casspi finished the game with 23 minutes, 5 points 1/2 from 2, 1/1 from the 3 point line, 3 rebounds, 1 turnover and 1 block—very much below average by his standards.

U-18 European Championship Prospects: The Wings
September 13, 2006
Casspi’s impressive outing in Mannheim wasn’t a fluke, and he certainly proved to have made strides since his average showings last summer. On a team that lacked some brains in the backcourt, he assumed the go-to role with intriguing although not always good results.

He now looks like much more of a natural perimeter player than last year. He might still not be a top-notch athlete, he might still suffer defensively against quick wings, but his skill set has evolved in the right direction. It’s really remarkable his ability to step into the lane dribbling past his defender. Showing very nice ball-handling skills, including a very effective crossover move, he gets by his rival after unbalancing him. But he also shows a nice first step and very good footwork to approach the basket, while his size, strength, body control and ability to convert layups do the rest. Those skills wouldn’t mean that much without the confidence and aggressiveness he shows (he eventually looks for contact penetrating), which make him succeed on a regular basis attacking the basket.

Although still inconsistent, his jumper is another source of consistent and versatile production. Casspi enjoys a wide array of releasing options, including range out to the three-point line, off-the-dribble skills, fade-away fashion, nice catch-and-shoot ability coming off a cut or the step-back jumper. However, and especially when shooting from the perimeter, his mechanics still could use some more consistency that would significantly help his accuracy. From mid-range distance, he sometimes knocks down shots so confidently and well-executed that you think he could never miss. He can eventually take advantage of his size and good strength in the low post against smaller defenders, even showing a decent semi-hook shot.

A smart player with a good feel for the game, he easily finds his teammates on the court beyond finding his own scoring options. Intense, aggressive, he shows plenty of character playing the game. He works well on defense and stays alert to the passing lines, although his lateral quickness is just average for a small forward, drawing concerns about his ability to stay in front of quick wings. A nice rebounder, he uses his length, strength and athleticism well. All in all, he’s a guy willing to do the little obscure things. Pair these characteristics with his skill set, and we have a guy set to succeed at least at the European stage.
2006 Albert Schweitzer Tournament: Top Prospects
May 8, 2006
It looks pretty obvious, if his team doesn’t cut his wings with too little playing time, that he will be a star in the international scene, particularly in Europe. He dominates almost every department of the offensive game. He particularly stands out for being a great perimeter shooter, and has the strength and ability to post up any shorter matchup. He has an excellent vertical leap and, especially, star potential. We will hear a lot from him in the future. He was named to the all-tournament team.

Physical and Mental Characteristics:

From not having a ripped body at all just one year ago, he’s evolved into a very explosive player physically speaking. There’s no baby fat left in his body and he has outstanding explosiveness in his legs. An excellent vertical leaper, he gets up really high. He has very long arms. Mentally, he’s tough. He almost always stays focused, although occasionally he loses some concentration when he has bad shooting streaks; nothing that won’t be able to fix with experience, though. Very coachable, just as all his teammates, he never makes a bad gesture to anybody. He doesn’t seem to be a primadonna, even if he’s clearly the team’s star. He’s the kind of hungry player that never avoids responsibility when it comes to deciding games.

Virtues::

He’s one of the players that offensively will make the difference whenever he plays. Very good perimeter shooter, he could develop into an extraordinary one in the future, or that’s the impression he draws, because of his self-improving ability. He drives really well by the baseline. But especially, considering the height he enjoys, he’s an extremely quick player. He reads the passing lanes really well on defense, getting a lot of steals that he usually finishes himself thanks to his explosiveness, his great handle on the run and, particularly, an unusual balance while in the air. As fast as he might be running the break, he will always catch the pass if he’s bound to receive it, and will almost never lose the ball because of a bad dribble if he’s driving. He almost always transforms the fastbreak into two points because he never loses balance. And if there’s somebody standing in front of him, he will just eat him alive, literally. He also knows how to pass the ball in transition, enjoying a very accurate bounce pass. I insist: he can become one of the great European perimeter shooters in the future.

Flaws:

Like many of the great scorers we’ve known, he’s not a devoted defender. He has problems on the strong side, while showing much more ability in the weak side, thanks to his intelligence. He has neither a great rebounding mentality, particularly on the offensive glass, among other reasons, because he plays very open.

Offense:

One of the best players in this tournament, he dominates almost all departments. He prefers to shoot rather than slash. His shooting range is very deep, showing accuracy from long distance. He’s more of a finisher in one-on-one plays rather than a pick-and-roll player, although he feels comfortable there too. He barely put in practice the entry pass, because the Israeli big men weren’t a serious threat, so there’re doubts about his ability there. He’s skilled slashing towards the basket, and dominates the short-range jumper off the penetration as well as attacking the basket and forcing fouls, which he usually does.

Defense:

He’s a player that stays away from his man. First, because with his size and long arms he can contest his matchup’s shot. And second, because he’s not a very dedicated player; being beaten by quicker opponents, precisely because he lets them start moving. He feels much more comfortable in the weak side. There, to stay away from his man is justified. But he’s always on the alert, being difficult to beat with a back-door cut. Since he feels very well the passes coming from the strong side, he usually reacts explosively getting the steal, which he transforms in two points almost always.

Evaluation:

He will probably have the chance to play in the NBA because of his great talent, although I don’t predict a great future for him there, if he tries. But he can be a star in European basketball. There’s only one problem: the next 2-3 years will be decisive on his career, and he will need playing time to develop. Maccabi Tel Aviv might not be the team that guarantees him those minutes. A future European star might get struck down mid-way precisely for that reason.

The European Junior (U-18) Championships: The Power Forwards
August 30, 2005
Out of the combo forwards that we’re including in this article, Casspi looks like the least athletically gifted to play small forward at a top level, even if there’s certainly hope for him. Standing somewhere between 6-8 and 6-9, he only displays average athleticism for a three, while still not enjoying a refined perimeter game.

Omri is rather strong for his age, showing quite a good frame, and like most players coming from Israel, he’s rather aggressive in certain situations. He loves to attack the basket, whether after receiving the ball in the high post or starting himself from the perimeter. He can put the ball on the floor with both hands and features nice footwork in the slashing movement. He doesn’t fear physical contact at all, having the ability to finish himself against opposition, but also to dish to an open teammate or deliver a mid-ranger off the dribble. However, Casspi is not particularly consistent with his jumper. Enjoying three point range, although only in static fashion, he doesn’t look really fluid with his mechanics.

On defense, he didn’t suffer too much trouble quickness-wise, but playing in the paint he was rarely matched against perimeter players. It’s not clear if he features good enough lateral movement to keep it up against quicker small forwards. Having to battle in the paint full time, he was reliable in the rebounding department, especially if you consider his youth.

What was missed from Casspi was some more consistency in his game. For some stretches he was totally a non factor, when he was clearly the most important player of Israel besides Ohayon. On the other hand, he showed nice understanding of the game. All in all, we were expecting a little more out of him, particularly in terms of potential.
© 2007 DraftExpress LLC. All rights reserved.

hater
05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Oberto is a smart, smart player. he did great the last 2 or 3 games vs. Suns too. he took a couple of charges on Amare. and played good D.

Oberto is a true professional and a winner.

Tippecanoe
05-22-2007, 10:52 PM
props to oberto yet again!!! he is really playing well in these WCFs. His defense is surprisingly not bad, and he's moving without the ball brilliantly.

Game 1: 14 points, 6-8 FG, 7 rebounds in 29 minutes
Game 2: 14 points, 6-7 FG, 7 rebounds in 33 minutes

scola who??

Darkwaters
05-22-2007, 10:55 PM
props to oberto yet again!!! he is really playing well in these WCFs. His defense is surprisingly not bad, and he's moving without the ball brilliantly.

Game 1: 14 points, 6-8 FG, 7 rebounds in 29 minutes
Game 2: 14 points, 6-7 FG, 7 rebounds in 33 minutes

scola who??

So much of this credit goes to the passing of the big 3. Manu found him over and over again in Game 1 and Tony and Tim picked up right where he left off tonight. I mean, Fabs still deserves credit, but props to the guys that are getting him the ball.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-22-2007, 10:57 PM
So much of this credit goes to the passing of the big 3. Manu found him over and over again in Game 1 and Tony and Tim picked up right where he left off tonight. I mean, Fabs still deserves credit, but props to the guys that are getting him the ball.
Yeah, but you have to admit, compared to last year with Nazr and Rasho??? .............:lol

it makes a big, big difference for Manu, Tony and Tim, knowing they have a guy who can actually catch and finish. Fabs knows how to move without the ball and get to the right spots at the right time. :tu

mattyc
05-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Faaaaaaaaabriciooooooooo.

Solid D
05-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Moving to open space without the ball leads to great passing and scoring opportunities.

Oberto was also great underneath working for boards, tip-outs and loose balls.

Borosai
05-22-2007, 11:03 PM
He's moving really well without the ball, something that neither Nazr or Rasho did. He is smart, and although he's not very athletic, he has very efficient movements and doesn't pump fake the ball like he's fucking it.

Oh, and he's by far the best center the Spurs have.

Tippecanoe
05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
plus, hes a very efficient flopper :lol

Ariel
05-22-2007, 11:09 PM
The guys who can pass the ball, great as they are, have always been there. The man who can get himself open routinely, catch the pass, and capitalize on it, hasn't. Not with Rasho, not with Nazr, not with Elson. And for that, there is no one else to credit that Fabricio's bball IQ and hands. If you ask me, I'd say it's Tony and Manu who need to do most of the thanking, for having him help them padd their assist numbers, and not the other way around. After all, it's not like the big 3 doesn't get enough credit, is it?

Borosai
05-22-2007, 11:26 PM
plus, hes a very efficient flopper :lol

Oh yeah, that too. :elephant

gilmor
05-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Actually Pop always played Oberto and Manu together because they have such good chemistry. The lineup of Manu, Oberto, Vaugh + either Bowen, Finley or Barry normally will sub for Parker and Duncan in order to get the latter the rest they need.

milkyway21
05-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Oberto overcomes heart ailment to become a postseason contributor for Spurs

Web Posted: 05/24/2007 11:06 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Reboot. That was the word that made Fabricio Oberto pause.
Oberto hadn't been too concerned about the soreness in his chest. What NBA center doesn't get whacked in the sternum a couple of times a game?

Nor was Oberto fretting the next day when he told Spurs trainer Will Sevening he felt jittery. After Sevening took his pulse and said they were going to visit a cardiologist for more tests, he still didn't see reason to be worried.

The doctor told Oberto his heart rate was out of rhythm. Even then Oberto had only one question: How do we get it back in rhythm?

Reboot it, said the doctor. Oberto understood enough English to know what that meant.

"With a computer, you have to reboot," Oberto said. "They have to shut it off."

Oberto laughs now when he tells the story. The procedure was routine, or as routine as any heart procedure can be.

Oberto was back on the court for the start of the playoffs within four days. Five weeks later, he's helped push the Spurs within two victories of the NBA Finals.

With Oberto scoring 14 points and taking seven rebounds in each of the first two games of the Western Conference finals, the Spurs' Big Three has expanded to the Fab Four.

"For somebody who can't jump over a line, Fab is phenomenal," Robert Horry said. "He plays so hard for us. He never gets enough credit for the little things he does out there."

Oberto now has the attention of the Utah Jazz, assuming they've located him. He's made 12 of 15 shots, only one of which wasn't a layup or dunk, by repeatedly slipping behind Utah's defense.

"He's always in the right position at the right time," Tony Parker said, "and we're finding him."

Oberto was even easier to spot a year ago: He was usually sitting near the end of the bench. He appeared in only seven of the Spurs' 13 playoff games for an average of 4.9 minutes.

With Horry, Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic ahead of him, Oberto used last season to learn the Spurs' system, adjust to his new teammates and work on his shot. His transition was eased by Manu Ginobili, his friend and Argentine teammate.

"He was unbelievable, being so patient after all he accomplished overseas," Ginobili said. "He never got upset at anybody. He kept working hard and people in Argentina were kind of pressuring him, saying, 'Why aren't you playing? Do you want to go back to Europe? You're a star and you're not playing?'

"He's been amazing. I'm kind of surprised. I think I was even more impatient than him."

Oberto began this season as the Spurs' starting center before coach Gregg Popovich gave Francisco Elson the job for the second half of the schedule.

But with Elson showing his playoff inexperience and Oberto accustomed to playing in pressure-packed games for Argentina, Popovich went back to starting Oberto midway through the Spurs' second-round series against Phoenix.

"This year he feels very comfortable about what he's doing, and he's a real fundamentally sound player," Popovich said. "We just think he understands everything that's going on now."

That has shown the past two games. With the Jazz focused on keeping Parker out of the lane and also worried about Duncan, Oberto has found enough creases in Utah's defense to cut to the rim.

"He's waiting for people to turn their heads," Duncan said. "He's making the right plays."

Oberto has played alongside Ginobili since the two were teenagers. Their familiarity with each other was evident the other night when Ginobili saw Oberto had a lane to the basket then led him there with a crosscourt pass.

"We can look in the eye and read each other like what we're going to do," Oberto said.

While Oberto isn't a scorer — his range doesn't extend too far out of the lane — his passing, screen setting and cutting have been a welcome addition to the Spurs' offense. And though he lacks the size or athleticism to match up with some opposing big men, he's done a credible job of making Jazz forward Carlos Boozer work.

"He plays hard, he plays physical," Parker said. "He's playing like he's not scared."

Few would have blamed Oberto for being frightened last month. After being hit in the neck in a game against Dallas the last week of the regular season, he awoke the next day with a sore chest.

Oberto played against Memphis that night, but when the Spurs met two days later he told Sevening his heart felt accelerated. The trip to the cardiologist revealed the blow to Oberto's neck had somehow triggered an atrial fibrillation.

"The doctor gave me confidence that I would be fine," Oberto said.

While his teammates were closing out the regular season against Denver, Oberto underwent a cardioversion to reset his heart rhythm. He was given anesthesia during the brief procedure, which involved sending an electrical shock to his heart. By the time the Spurs had finished their game he was resting at home.

Three days later, Oberto was practicing. When a team official asked if he would be available the next day for the Spurs' playoff opener, Oberto nodded.

"As long as I have six fouls," he said, "I can play."

FABRICIO OBERTO FROM THE FIELD
Of players who have appeared in at least 10 playoff games this year, Fabricio Oberto ranks second in field-goal percentage at 68.8. And the only player ahead of him, Golden State's Andris Biedrins at 73 percent, is through. Here's a look at how Oberto, who shot 56.2 percent during the regular season, has done in games in which he's scored in double figures.

Date Opp. Score FGM-FGA Pct. FTs Pts.

May 22 Jazz 105-96 6-7 85.7 2-2 14

May 20 Jazz 108-100 6-8 75 2-3 14

April 3 Sonics 110-91 4-4 100 3-4 11

Jan. 5 Mavs 85-90 7-7 100 0-0 14

Nov. 26 Sonics 98-78 7-8 87.5 2-2 16

Nov. 24 Mavs 92-95 6-8 75 2-2 14

Nov. 19 Kings 108-99 6-9 66.7 1-1 13

Nov. 8 Suns 111-106 11-11 100 0-0 22

Nov. 5 Raptors 103-94 5-6 83.3 2-4 12

milkyway21
05-25-2007, 12:10 AM
"As long as I have six fouls," he said, "I can play."

:lmao

68.8% FG in the playoff? :tu

carina_gino20
05-25-2007, 12:40 AM
haha. great quote. btw, i think Pepe Sanchez is the one to the right of Manu in that pic. No wonder the Argentine NT has so much chemistry, what with playing together for so long. Fabri, Manu, Pepe, Wolkowyski, Scola, and Fernandez (if I'm not mistaken) ---six players from the NT last yr are in that pic.

Argento
05-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Good Numbers: 11 Pts 11 Reb