PDA

View Full Version : The evil genius of Jerry Sloan

GSH
05-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I'll start by saying that I really hate Jerry Sloan. But I respect the hell out of his coaching abilities. I don't like his style. But I have to admit it's effective.

I noticed something in the second half, when the Jazz were on defense, and had a player guarding the Spur holding the ball. If the Spur player was dribbling the ball, they kept reaching around from behind, trying to knock the ball loose. Sometimes it looked like they had absolutely no chance of actually reaching the ball, but they just kept reaching around and swatting anyway. It was annoying, but I knew that as long as they didn't really hack the arm, the ref wasn't going to call anything.

Then I noticed that they would keep reaching with the same arm - sometimes even if it looked like they might have a better chance of getting to the ball if they swatted with the other arm. Maybe I should have seen it before, but I realized the rest of what they were doing. As long as they kept their right arm wrapped around the Spur player, there was no way he could roll to the right. He either had to pass, or roll left. Opposite, of course, when they were reaching around and swatting with the left hand.

If they had just hugged the Spur player with one arm, to steer him to one side, there would be a whistle right away. But by throwing it around and then pulling it back, they could achieve the same thing without getting a foul called. It's a great way to steer a player who prefers to roll one direction, or to to make sure he goes toward a help defender. If they happen to tip the ball loose and get a steal, it's a bonus.

It's a hell of a strategy. But what is really impressive is they way they execute it. There's just not much for the refs to call, as long as they don't hack the dribbling arm. And when you are getting out-quicked like the Jazz were, it's a lot more effective than trying to get out in front with footwork. It's a little annoying to watch if you're a Spurs fan but, damn, you have to take your hat off to Sloan.

I also hated that stall tactic at the end, because I don't think that even Sloan believed that the Jazz could actually win the game. But I don't think anybody feels as ecstatic about the win as they would have. And if the Spurs are up by 4 or 5 next game, they will have to think about it. It was really annoying, but it was the sign of a hard-assed coach.

Respecting him as a coach doesn't change the fact that I really hate him.

CosmicCowboy
05-20-2007, 09:15 PM
I think that Sloan forcing his team to compete to the last possession even though they were "too far" down sent a message that they won't forget when they might be tempted to do something stupid in the second quarter next game. It also kept all the Spurs starters on the floor till the end after a brutal turnaround. Sloan was already looking forward to game 2.