View Full Version : SLC Tribune: Spurs Send Jazz a Message in Game 1

CubanMustGo
05-20-2007, 08:57 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_5944223

Spurs send Jazz a message in Game 1
By Michael C. Lewis
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 05/20/2007 06:28:08 PM MDT

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - You could almost see the realization dawning on the Jazz, slowly at first, then with agonizing helplessness as the San Antonio Spurs ran back-cut after pick-and-roll after fast break right past them in Game 1 of the NBA's Western Conference finals:
Whoa . . . these guys really are good.
Actually, good might not be enough to describe the way the Spurs systematically dismantled the Jazz 108-100 in front of 18,300 at the AT&T Center on Sunday and cast renewed doubt on the possibility that the Jazz will be able to somehow survive the best-of-seven series.
"In the first game, you're supposed to send a message," the Jazz's Deron Williams said, "and I don't think we did that."
And if they did, it was the wrong one.
Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker combined to score 71 points for the Spurs, and the Jazz could not mount nearly enough of a rally in the fourth quarter to make up for a miserable first half in which they scored a playoff-low 16 points in the second quarter and basically gave the game away.
"We lost total concentration in trying to defend them," coach Jerry Sloan said. "We were running all over the place, giving them layups. The layups killed us. That's what a great team does, they take advantage of mistakes."
And the Jazz made plenty.
Unable to get the ball inside to leading scorer Carlos Boozer against Duncan and the best defense in the league, the Jazz had to settle for outside shots - and made precious few of them. They missed 20 of their first 26, in fact, which led to what Sloan called finger-pointing and allowed the Spurs to run away to a 19-point lead with all manner of slick passes and inside moves.
"That's something you can't do against a team like that," the Jazz's Deron Williams said. "Twenty points to a team like this is 40 points to another team. You might be able to make a couple of runs and get it down, but it's just tough to overcome that."
Impossible, perhaps.
The Jazz have lost 17 straight games to the Spurs on the road. And even with their improved effort in the second half, they neither looked anything like the inspired upstart that worked its way through two rounds of playoff basketball, nor had nearly enough to come all the way back against a veteran team that has won three championships in the last eight years.
Williams tried his best to lead the way, scoring 26 of his 34 points after halftime - "he was very aggressive," Parker said - and helping the Jazz create an opportunity to cut the lead to six with about two minutes left.
But Boozer missed a jump shot on one end - he was 7-for-17 shooting, and scored 16 of his 20 points in the second half - Parker hit one on the other, and the Spurs made 10 of 12 free throws in the final minute to avoid a close finish.
"At halftime, I told them they have to learn to compete," Sloan said. "I mean, we were shaking our heads at each other. If one guy made a mistake, you know, it was somebody else's fault. That's part of what a young team has to learn. We have to stay together, we have to fight together and bust your tail out there. I didn't think we did that. We were looking for excuses."
Theoretically, the Jazz were poised to enjoy an advantage, having had four days off while the Spurs were playing barely 36 hours after finishing off a physical series against the Phoenix Suns.
But that hardly worked out.
Parker spent the afternoon driving into the heart of the Jazz defense while Ginobili also flew up and down the floor, and even the role players whom coach Gregg Popovich used more than usual on account of the quick turnaround were making a difference. Francisco Elson, for example, blew by Boozer three times to score six points.
"I don't think it was an intimidation thing," the Jazz's Derek Fisher said. "But a lot of times, you have to learn what it takes in these situations, how to win these type of games. It's not an easy thing."
No, it sure didn't look like it.

timvp
05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Eh, I don't take anything from this game. The Jazz weren't ready to play in this big game atmosphere. By the time they settled in, the game was over.

I expect much better efforts from them the rest of the way.

Supergirl
05-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Timvp, I totally agree. I don't buy that this is going to be a sweep. 5 games at least, I'm betting on 6, since that seems to be the Spurs' magic # more often than not.

But even so, I have to say, there was a whole different vibe watching Game 1 of this series. The Suns knew they were one of the best in the league. So did the Spurs. This just doesn't quite feel that way.

Which is not to say the Jazz aren't capable of winning 1 of 2 games from the Spurs. Winning in Utah in particular will be TOUGH and the Spurs need to win both in SA and then win at least one in Utah.

It's kind of a weird feeling. The last series felt like what you'd go through in the west finals, or the NBA finals, so this just feels weird. Anyone else feel that way?

JAZZinSIX
05-20-2007, 10:33 PM
The Jazz always get underestimated. You'll learn. This team is resillient. And they learn on the fly better than any other team in the playoffs. They're just young and you guys are so fucking good that they freaked a little early in the game. The jitters are out. Game 2 will be a war.

Phil Hellmuth
05-20-2007, 10:38 PM
After playing the hyped up Nuggets then the possible 2nd best team in the NBA, this seems kinda awkward in a sense; playing a REAL good ball club but not GREAT in the WCF.

bigfan
05-20-2007, 10:38 PM
I agree game 2 will be a war. I really think it will be the most important game of the series. Spurs win, and I think the series is over in 5. Jazz win, well, who knows? I think the Jazz will be much more aggressive in game 2. That Deron Williams guy is a great player and we know Boozer just had a bad game. Hopefully the Spurs get some rest and are ready to play hard on Tuesday.

jazzin7
05-20-2007, 10:39 PM
The Jazz always get underestimated. You'll learn. This team is resillient. And they learn on the fly better than any other team in the playoffs. They're just young and you guys are so fucking good that they freaked a little early in the game. The jitters are out. Game 2 will be a war.

No doubt. The party is just starting...and, if SA wipes the floor with this team, see ya next year.

Cry Havoc
05-20-2007, 10:48 PM

I see a young Spurs team in the Jazz, actually. They have several guys who's I.Q.'s for the game are off the charts. They usually play heady defense, although tonight it looked a bit helter-sketler at times.

I really didn't anticipate Game 1 to be such a runaway. It wasn't as close as the 8 points indicated, either. Spurs had everything working. I thought it would be much closer than it was, but yeah, Game 2 will be a hell of a fight.

If the Jazz can't get game 2... they're going to have to take 4 of 5 from the Spurs. I'm not sure that's possible. Of course, anything is possible if we keep leaving Mehmet wide open from 23. :pctoss

Vito Corleone
05-20-2007, 11:31 PM
As long as Jerry Sloan is on the sideline they will be extremely competitive in every game. I also see a lot of San Antonio in this team and I truly believe they are the most complete team outside of San Antonio in the league, this includes Phoenix who needs a new coach very badly.

Quasar
05-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Yep, this is still too early to tell. The end of Game 3 will be a better time to tell the difference.

Remember Houston vs Jazz? Houston actually led 2-0 till they went to Utah and were man-handled.

ambchang
05-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Jazz is good, and the team played very well down the stretch.
It is also worthy to note that after Nuggets and the Suns, it's refreshing to have the media write about the games with an unbiased point of view, the opposing coach giving credit, and taking ownership for losses, rather than the opposing team blaming everything under the sun but themselves for every loss.
This series will be a very tough series, the Spurs hasn't done anything yet with a win at home, but I will go with Spurs in 6!

VegasJazz
05-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Dont count em out yet. Wait count em out them we kick your ass. I HOPE

slayermin
05-21-2007, 01:19 AM
Winning in Salt Lake City is not going to be easy. I will feel much better if we win game two.

Tigole Bitties
05-21-2007, 02:28 AM
Jazz are too disciplined and the rest of the series will be much more competitive.

- Okur will shoot better.
- Boozer missed some chippies and will also shoot better.
- Harpring can exploit Bruce on the low block.
- Utah have some plenty of bigs to throw at Tim to wear him down ala Denver
- Rebounding and free throw % will be in the Jazz' favor

MaNuMaNiAc
05-21-2007, 02:30 AM
Timvp, I totally agree. I don't buy that this is going to be a sweep. 5 games at least, I'm betting on 6, since that seems to be the Spurs' magic # more often than not.

But even so, I have to say, there was a whole different vibe watching Game 1 of this series. The Suns knew they were one of the best in the league. So did the Spurs. This just doesn't quite feel that way.

Which is not to say the Jazz aren't capable of winning 1 of 2 games from the Spurs. Winning in Utah in particular will be TOUGH and the Spurs need to win both in SA and then win at least one in Utah.

It's kind of a weird feeling. The last series felt like what you'd go through in the west finals, or the NBA finals, so this just feels weird. Anyone else feel that way?yeah, sort of anti-climatic, right? I felt that too. Still Utah seems to have what it takes to beat us. I mean if the Spurs weren't having such a great shooting streak in the 2nd quarter, I think it would have been a close game all the way. I see them giving us trouble back in Utah, hopefully momentum carries over to Game 2 and our Spurs can go to Utah with a 2 - 0 cushion. I'd be a lot more comfortable then :spin

exstatic
05-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Pop definitely saw something on film about how to attack the weak side of their defense. Anytime you run the same play for Fabricio and it works four times, the defense has broken down. The man is smart, but he can't jump over a phone book.

Jazz must improve their D. Spurs must improve their boards.

101A
05-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Utah to get to this point has beaten two teams that have won a total of, what, ONE playoff series in the past decade?

They are a solid second round opponent, similar, but not quite to the level Phoenix was for Dallas last season.

Honestly, this is a 51 win team, that beat an EIGHT seed with a limping PG to get here; as good as they are, they have not paid their dues. Hell, Houston fired their coach because he didn't get past them! The WCF finished up last Friday; this is a formality.

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2007, 10:11 AM
I see a very disturbing trend.
Save for game 5 of the Suns series, the last few 4th quarters have been awful. Hell, in the last 2 4th quarters, we've allowed the opposition to score almost 80 pts!

We've gotta tighten up, it ain't getting easier.