PDA

View Full Version : Rebounds are still the story

ShoogarBear
05-20-2007, 10:34 PM
In the first half, when the Spurs shot 66% to Utah's 29%. Because of that, the Spurs actually outrebounded Utah 19-18.

In the second half, the Spurs shot 45% and Utah shot 53%.
And Utah outrebounded them 30-14.

Conclusion: the Spurs did a shitty job on the boards in both halves, and unless things change it will kill them when the FG% start averaging out.

CubanMustGo
05-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Spurs played tired in the second half. Tuesday should result in a closer battle on the boards.

EDIT: or they will lose.

Dipship31
05-20-2007, 10:38 PM
You can't say that they were tired this game and then will be fresh for Game 2. They'll only end up with a handful more hours of rest between Game's 1 & 2.

T Park
agreed.

but, im hoping the second half was due to fatigue.

Im praying. :lol

JAZZinSIX
The Jazz dominated the boards but you guys won't give them away like our last two opponents, either. The rebounding wars are going to be fun to watch because we've got 4 guys who rebound like rabid dogs (Booze,Okur,AK,Millsap) and we also have guys like Harp who has pointy elbows like Malone.

ChumpDumper
05-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Spurs didn't give a crap after the second quarter.

T Park
05-20-2007, 10:40 PM
You can't say that they were tired this game and then will be fresh for Game 2. They'll only end up with a handful more hours of rest between Game's 1 & 2.

later starting game in game 2, full day off in between.

Jazz won't be overwhelmingly more energetic as they were today.

T Park
Spurs didn't give a crap after the second quarter.

They gave a crap in spurts.

ShoogarBear
Spurs played tired in the second half. Tuesday should result in a closer battle on the boards.

EDIT: or they will lose.The problem with that explanation is the Spurs got killed on the boards in the first half, too.

The only thing that saved them in the total numbers was the difference in the shooting percentages. But to have only a 1 rebound average with a 66-29% differential is incredible.

ChumpDumper
05-20-2007, 10:42 PM
They gave a crap in spurts.Well this metaphor has taken an fun turn....

T Park
05-20-2007, 10:47 PM
lol

I apologize, was just trying to keep up :lol

ambchang
05-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Spurs got 25 defensive rebounds, Utah got 21 offensive rebounds. Which means that out of the 46 missed Utah shots, Spurs barely got half of them. That is just unacceptable.

timvp
05-21-2007, 12:03 AM
In the first half, when the Spurs shot 66% to Utah's 29%. Because of that, the Spurs actually outrebounded Utah 19-18.

In the second half, the Spurs shot 45% and Utah shot 53%.
And Utah outrebounded them 30-14.

Conclusion: the Spurs did a shitty job on the boards in both halves, and unless things change it will kill them when the FG% start averaging out.

Yeah, you can't win a series if you get dominated on the boards, no matter what D'Antoni might think. You may be able to steal a game but in the long haul, it'll come back to bite you.

The scary thing is the Spurs didn't get destroyed on the boards against the Jazz at home this year. It only happened on the road. In that aspect, it was a pretty poor start to the series.

But I have to somewhat agree with the notion that the Spurs mailed in a large portion of this game. We'll get a better idea of the rebounding problem in Game 2.

RashoFan
05-21-2007, 12:08 AM
The rebounding wars are going to be fun to watch because we've got 4 guys who rebound like rabid dogs (Booze,Okur,AK,Millsap) and we also have guys like Harp who has pointy elbows like Malone.

:nope Bad form my good man....

WalterBenitez
05-21-2007, 07:14 AM
I see Utah rebounding so well, but consider we are an older team and only played after 36 hours or so, I think Pop will make some adjuntments over that issue.

Bruno
05-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Spurs must and can do a better job.

Jazz have grabbed 45.6% of the rebounds on the offensive end for this game while they average 31.7% on the season. Spurs are one of the better team in the league at limiting opponents offensive rebounds, it's not logical to see a team grabbing that much ofensive rebounds against them.

My explanation :

First half : 16 defensive rebounds for Spurs , 8 offensive rebounds for Jazz. Jazz have grabbed 33.3% of the rebounds on the offensive end, really close to their season average.

Second half : 9 defensive reboudns for Spurs, 13 offensive rebounds for Jazz. Jazz have grabbed 59.1%, it's really bad for SA.

The poor rebounding performance is mainly due to the second half. We can hope that it was because Spurs were tired and not playing at 100%.

timvp
05-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Spurs must and can do a better job.

Jazz have grabbed 45.6% of the rebounds on the offensive end for this game while they average 31.7% on the season. Spurs are one of the better team in the league at limiting opponents offensive rebounds, it's not logical to see a team grabbing that much ofensive rebounds against them.

My explanation :

First half : 16 defensive rebounds for Spurs , 8 offensive rebounds for Jazz. Jazz have grabbed 33.3% of the rebounds on the offensive end, really close to their season average.

Second half : 9 defensive reboudns for Spurs, 13 offensive rebounds for Jazz. Jazz have grabbed 59.1%, it's really bad for SA.

The poor rebounding performance is mainly due to the second half. We can hope that it was because Spurs were tired and not playing at 100%.

Nice breakdown :tu

Everyone knew rebounding would be key number one going into this series. The first game the numbers looked bad, but I'm not ready to panic yet. We'll see in Game 2 when the Jazz come out ready to play from the opening tip.

bdictjames
05-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Spurs begin to sleep in the 4:00 - 8:00 mark in the fourth quarter when they have a relatively large lead.

Mr. Body
05-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Utah got some multi-rebound possessions, at times collecting their own misses and going up right away, so this skews things slightly. But overall this is a very dangerous stat in the series.

Imagine the Spurs with a Millsap coming off the bench...

Corn on the Colb
05-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Utah got some multi-rebound possessions, at times collecting their own misses and going up right away, so this skews things slightly. But overall this is a very dangerous stat in the series.

Imagine the Spurs with a Millsap coming off the bench...

That is scary.

The funny thing is, the Rockets AND Warriors fans said the same thing!

I love Millsap! Great, great player. He brings such amazing energy off the bench that his lasting effect on the game goes unfortunately unnoticed in all box scores (well, in every category besides OREB...).

Honestly, as obvious as it sounds, I think our ability to rebound on the offensive end is probably the deciding factor in whether we win this series or not. That, AND shooting over 29% for each half.

Mr. Body
05-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Honestly, as obvious as it sounds, I think our ability to rebound on the offensive end is probably the deciding factor in whether we win this series or not. That, AND shooting over 29% for each half.

Spurs will need to split the difference and put a cap on the rim if they can. Multiple rebounds will suck, but may be unavoidable. The difference will be to reduce the percentages.

Corn on the Colb
05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Spurs will need to split the difference and put a cap on the rim if they can. Multiple rebounds will suck, but may be unavoidable. The difference will be to reduce the percentages.

I agree in your assessment that they will need to split the difference, but I also agree that it could be unavoidable. With the exception of Duncan, I'm not sure who can really rebound with our guys. Maybe Oberto?

Mr. Body
05-21-2007, 02:18 PM
No, I mean there will be a rebounding differential, and perhaps a large one. The key is to keep the shooting percentage down, if possible. Offensive rebounds don't mean anything if you still can't get it in the hole.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2007, 02:41 PM
The Jazz dominated the boards but you guys won't give them away like our last two opponents, either. The rebounding wars are going to be fun to watch because we've got 4 guys who rebound like rabid dogs (Booze,Okur,AK,Millsap) and we also have guys like Harp who has pointy elbows like Malone.

I don't know whether the spurs will be able to outrebound Jazz the rest of the series but they kill them in every other category which more than offsets that.

dtrain
05-21-2007, 03:27 PM
This may be a dumb question but I don't know the answer. How do they handle blocked shots in the stats. Obviously there is a blocked shot stat, but if a blocked shot results in a change of possession, is that counted as a turnover too? Also, if there is a blocked shot, but the team making the shot gets the ball back, is that a rebound?

SsKSpurs21
05-21-2007, 03:54 PM
the utah jazz lead the LEAGUE in rebounds...

guys, dont be surprised if we lose the rebound battle every game.

BreezeHillBill
05-21-2007, 03:59 PM
later starting game in game 2, full day off in between.

Jazz won't be overwhelmingly more energetic as they were today.
Plus D Williams won't sneak up on them again.

MadDog73
05-21-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm sure Pop is pointing out the same thing right now...

whoever wins the boards will win the game.