PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Nelson will give Johnson control against Spurs

ducks
11-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Notebook: Nelson will give Johnson control against Spurs
12:10 AM CST on Sunday, November 28, 2004
By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Avery Johnson is the heir apparent. That will become even more evident Tuesday, when he will coach the Mavericks against San Antonio.

"It will be good for him," said coach Don Nelson, who will cede control of the game to give Johnson experience. "He could be a head coach tomorrow. He's got the whole package. He has great ideas. I definitely use more of the things he says than the things I say."

Nelson picked Tuesday's game because Johnson is familiar with the Spurs after all the years he spent in San Antonio under Gregg Popovich. Nelson will sit on the bench and serve as the assistant.

"I'll give him my opinion and he'll have to make the call," Nelson said. "Just like when he gives me his opinion, I reject some of them. He can reject mine."

Nelson said he intends to give control of the team to Johnson five or six times during the season.

"This is the most fun I've had coaching I can remember," Nelson said. "Just being around Avery, watching him grow... . He's such a great guy along with a great coaching talent. I'm having a ball. The older I get, the more he can do."
link (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...iefs.6b5cd.html )

ducks
11-28-2004, 10:20 PM
so nelson will give him the ruins 5-6 times this year

does nelson know he will get fired if they do not win it all this year and is just going to resign this year or what

what does MOUSE think about this

ducks
11-28-2004, 10:33 PM
aj learning from nelson will not bring success
neslon is stupid and does not ever win anything
nelson is lucky to have a JOB

ducks
11-28-2004, 10:36 PM
you know nelson had better cleared this with cuban first or he should be fired
nelson signed a contract to be the coach
he is responibliy for being the coach
he needs to do his JOB

Duff McCartney
11-28-2004, 10:49 PM
AJ is gonna be a garbage coach.

ducks
11-28-2004, 10:50 PM
AJ could be a good coach if he uses what pop taught him not neslon

Solid D
11-28-2004, 11:09 PM
It's hard to predict how well AJ will do this time. During the preseason against the Spurs in Dallas, AJ had the team and he did not impress...but that was his first time at the helm.

What Nellie has is tremendous creativity and a crazy confidence to pull stuff off with his matchups. It's still fill in the blanks with Avery although AJ can certainly motivate people and bring enthusiasm to the sideline.

ducks
11-28-2004, 11:13 PM
this would be a good vbookie game now

I wonder what vegas thinks about this

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-28-2004, 11:57 PM
I guess Nelson is sick of losing to SA, so he pawned it off on Avery.

timvp
11-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Props to AJ.

Good luck in your coaching career.

ducks
11-29-2004, 12:19 AM
I wish aj luck
just not against the spurs

I hope spurs crush mavs again

last time it was blowout
this game will be closer

samikeyp
11-29-2004, 12:22 AM
so nelson will give him the ruins 5-6 times this year

ruins? I think you mean reins.

timvp
11-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Ducks is a genius. Check his vBookie.

Respect.

samikeyp
11-29-2004, 12:33 AM
I respect his VBookie numbers. Its his typing that mystifies me! :) Although the new sig is great! :lol

whottt
11-29-2004, 12:35 AM
While AJ sucked as a PG...I don't have a doubt that he will be a good coach. He will be a better coach than he ever was a PG.

T Park
11-29-2004, 12:43 AM
What is AJ gonna do different.

Play Bradley more than Dampier??

Honeslty, what is he gonna do.

Im sure hell try some different things.

But if he Spurs bring the D they had on last wednesday, and drive to the hole like they should, then the Mavericks honestly wont be in the ball park.

Once again,

all you gotta do is put a hand in Nowitzki's face and the bozo misses.

Watch the game tape is was like clockwork.

I dont want to hear about the BS he was hurt, his cracka ass was running sideways and front to back just fine.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-29-2004, 12:59 AM
There's something about TPark calling another white man a "cracka" that makes me laugh.

adrienne
11-29-2004, 01:23 AM
There's something about TPark insulting Nowitzki's OFFENSIVE ability that makes me laugh.

ShoogarBear
11-29-2004, 02:10 AM
While AJ sucked as a PG...I don't have a doubt that he will be a good coach. He will be a better coach than he ever was a PG.

Could you clarify, whottt, was that left-handed or back-handed?

LakerGod
11-29-2004, 05:13 AM
I guarantee a win for the Mavs on Tuesday

whottt
11-29-2004, 05:25 AM
Could you clarify, whottt, was that left-handed or back-handed?

Neither, it's sincere :)

timvp
11-29-2004, 06:27 AM
No. 6 for AJ: Avery Johnson made his first appearance at the SBC Center as a full-time coach, but the Spurs haven't forgotten his playing days. Popovich thinks Johnson's No. 6 and Sean Elliott's No. 32 will hang in the arena before long.

"Along with David (Robinson), they were stalwarts of this program for a very long time," Popovich said. "I'm not the final answer — that's a club decision — but I can't imagine anybody in our program or the city having a problem with either of these guys getting their jersey retired."

George Gervin (44), James Silas (13), Johnny Moore (00) and Robinson (50) are the Spurs whose jerseys have been retired. Popovich said the franchise doesn't have a formal process.

Johnson, who announced his retirement last month, hit the clinching shot for the Spurs' 1999 championship and is the franchise's assists leader.

Whottt justtt can'ttt tttake ttthe tttruttth.

STTTFU.

:hattt

whottt
11-29-2004, 06:30 AM
Pop obviously lacks imagination.

Ellliot yes, AJ no.

Edit: Pop sits there and says he can't imagine anyone having a problem with AJ...obviously his perception of what some people might think of AJ is as flawed as his perception of AJ's PG skills...The fact that the man can't imagine anyone not wanting AJ's jersey retired in itself proves he can make huge errors in judgement....you know the truth...and the truth is that quite a few of us don't think the little scrub's jersey deserves to hang up there.

timvp
11-29-2004, 06:53 AM
http://www.the44.net/portpics/apparel/haterade2.jpg

Drink up.

IcemanCometh
11-29-2004, 08:52 AM
So let me get this straight. Nelson gives Avery the runs, Dirk likes crackers, and the coyote is a better coach than AJ and Pop?

T Park
11-29-2004, 09:42 AM
There's something about TPark insulting Nowitzki's OFFENSIVE ability that makes me laugh

Who said anything about inability.

Watch the Spurs Mavericks game again on tape.

Anytime a guy stayed in front of Nowitzki, and kept a hand in his face, he struggled.

Fact!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Who said anything about inability.

Watch the Spurs Mavericks game again on tape.

Anytime a guy stayed in front of Nowitzki, and kept a hand in his face, he struggled.

Fact!

Did you even notice he needed a damn walker to get up and down the court on that ankle?

The Spurs even abused him all night on the other end because he couldn't move as quickly when they went inside on him.

T Park
11-29-2004, 09:51 AM
oh bullshit Johnny,

he was moving fine side to side, and front to back.

He was cutting and whot not through the lane no problem.

No, I didnt see the "walker" I didnt fall for the Nelson BS propoganda

adrienne
11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
I bet you have all kinds of theories on the assassination of JFK, TPark.

You stick with that one game, I'lll stick with 25.9 ppg, 47.2fg%.

Jimcs50
11-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Damn, Adrienne, don't you know anything? The book on Dirk is just put a hand in his face and he always misses...that career 21 pt/game average is an abberation. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
11-29-2004, 12:39 PM
If Nellie is going to be truly hands-off this game, it will probably help the Mavs. I doubt Avery is going to run a Dirk-and-four-guards lineup for 30 minutes.

Jimcs50
11-29-2004, 12:47 PM
If Nellie is going to be truly hands-off this game, it will probably help the Mavs. I doubt Avery is going to run a Dirk-and-four-guards lineup for 30 minutes.
If the Mavs are close in the 4th...Nellie will take over.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Then they'll lose.

Jimcs50
11-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Then they'll lose.

They always beat SA in Dallas every year...Nellie is not a total loser, you know.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Why would Nellie undercut AJ after giving him the "runs" and talking it up in the press?

Jimcs50
11-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Why would Nellie undercut AJ after giving him the "runs" and talking it up in the press?

Because a loss to SA could cost him HC in the playoffs that is why. History shows that the difference betw HCA throughout the playoffs the past couple of years has been 1 lousy game. A mistake in the last minute or two by the coach can mean the difference betw winning and losing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-29-2004, 01:15 PM
but I can't imagine anybody in our program or the city having a problem with either of these guys getting their jersey retired.

I have a problem with it.

Role players don't deserve jersey retirements. You don't see the Bulls retiring the jerseys of Paxton or Kerr, do you?

- Signed, any fan who realizes the Spurs have graduated to the national stage.

LakerGod
11-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Like I said Mavs will WIN!

Jimcs50
11-29-2004, 01:59 PM
WTf is this LakerGod??? I have never noticed this guy before. What self respecting person would ever admire a total dickhead like Kobe???

Brodels
11-29-2004, 09:06 PM
I have a problem with it.

Role players don't deserve jersey retirements. You don't see the Bulls retiring the jerseys of Paxton or Kerr, do you?

- Signed, any fan who realizes the Spurs have graduated to the national stage.

Word.

Elliot was an all star and he hit one of the biggest shots in franchise history. Retire his number.

AJ was nothing more than a role player that never cracked the top-ten list of point guards in the league. If you retire AJ's number, you may as well retire Carl Herrera's.

adidas11
11-29-2004, 10:01 PM
I still don't understand this move by the Mavericks.

Yes, AJ might be a future coach, and it's good that Nelson is grooming him as well.

But handing over the reigns, even for a few games during the season? What does Cuban think of this move? The Mavericks are fighting for seeding, and a potential shot at the NBA title? Do they have the time or the luxury to be 'experimenting' during the season??? I'm seriously confused...

ducks
11-29-2004, 10:59 PM
to me it tells me that if nelson does not win a title he is done as coach

Kori Ellis
11-29-2004, 11:06 PM
But handing over the reigns, even for a few games during the season? What does Cuban think of this move? The Mavericks are fighting for seeding, and a potential shot at the NBA title? Do they have the time or the luxury to be 'experimenting' during the season??? I'm seriously confused...

I'm sure that Nelly has permission from Cuban.

And who knows, AJ might take over for Nelly permanently sooner than we think.

SequSpur
11-29-2004, 11:36 PM
This is stupid and only considered because they are playing the Spurs. The Mavericks are a stupid organization anyway. Stupid owner, stupid coach, stupid players, stupid fans and stupid posters. And stupid ideas.

adrienne
11-30-2004, 12:24 AM
You forgot stupid haters.

ZStomp
11-30-2004, 04:27 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/113004dnspomavslede.60159.html
*Requires Registration-Here is the article*

Johnson calling shots in Mavs' game tonight

Coach, assistant swap roles for a night against rival San Antonio

01:00 AM CST on Tuesday, November 30, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

In golf, the pros and the weekend hacks all know the same thing: The toughest carry in the game is the 100 yards from the practice range to the first tee.

In the NBA, Don Nelson believes the same principle applies, which is why he has championed the idea of Avery Johnson coaching several games this season, the first coming tonight against San Antonio.

"He's taken over practices, but the games are different," Nelson said Monday. "The toughest adjustment to an assistant coach is moving 18 inches over to the big seat. It's totally different there, and he needs to experience that."

This maneuver is not without risk. Johnson will have total control of the game and the game plan. But it is a game the Mavericks cannot afford to lose. They already are 0-1 against their primary divisional rivals. Another loss, particularly at American Airlines Center, would be costly.

How players react to Johnson calling the shots in a big game will be interesting.

But there is no doubting the respect Johnson will get from both sides tonight.

"Everything he did was with heart and hustle, with grit and determination," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Other players saw that, and the respect he gained was really incredible. Most guys who gain that kind of respect are very, very good, talented players. He was an efficient player who was a winner. People gravitate toward those players."

Johnson is thankful for the opportunity and eager to make his debut. Since Johnson played point guard for Popovich and won a championship with San Antonio in 1999, he is well-versed in the opponent for his first coaching assignment. He questions how much that is worth, however.

"Everybody knew I was going left for 16 years, and they still couldn't stop me," Johnson said. "You do your homework. But even though you know what they're going to do, you still have to stop it."

Johnson, who coached a preseason game when Nelson was ill, will have the NBA's highest-paid assistant for one night in Nelson. The last time he was an assistant coach was 28 years ago with Milwaukee. Johnson also will have Del Harris sitting on his other side.

"If you've never experienced being a head coach in a regular-season game, you won't know what it feels like," Johnson said. "Everything is risky in this business. Part of being a coach is that you have to take a chance. With Nellie being right there next to me, we know who the head coach is."

The players expect this game to be no different than any other. They also expect Nelson to have Johnson's ear.

"I can't see Nellie not chiming in," Jerry Stackhouse said. "It's great for Avery to get some experience. But I'm pretty sure he's not going to reject much that the coach suggests. We feel we can beat that team if we do the things we're supposed to do."

So does Nelson, which is why he's giving Johnson the reins.

"I actually think it gives us our best chance to win," Nelson said. "Nobody knows San Antonio better. I think it's a good thing all the way around. He'll just be eliminating some of my suggestions, just like I do some of his."

And what happens if Johnson gets ejected from the game?

"How do you get tossed if you don't curse?" Nelson said. "I don't think it's possible."

The only other concern is that Johnson's fast track to the coaching position might put Nelson at risk. He's under contract through the 2005-06 season.

At that, Nelson could only laugh.

"He needs all the experience he can get, and I've got way more than I want," Nelson said. "I'm not worried. I'm going to lose my job anyway [someday]. It'll be a good day when that happens because we'll have a good guy to take over."

E-mail [email protected]