PDA

View Full Version : Do Spurs Fans Deserve A Championship?

timvp
05-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Opener doesn't sell out, a first for playoff game at AT&T Center
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

When the Spurs knocked out the Suns to set up their meeting with the Jazz, more than a few people speculated the nation's viewing public wouldn't be too interested in watching the two small-market teams.

Apparently, San Antonio isn't all that interested, either.

For the first time in the five-year history of the AT&T Center, the Spurs didn't sell out a playoff game.

The Spurs listed their attendance as 18,300, about 500 short of the 18,797 capacity.

One section in the arena's southeast corner was nearly empty at tipoff and the top two rows in the north end zone also looked empty. They filled in somewhat by game's end, but not to capacity.

The Spurs were obviously expecting greater demand because they allowed fans to purchase a limit of four tickets per person for the series' first two games. They also made the advance purchase tickets available only via phone and online sales.

That's just pathetic. Way to go, Spurs fans.

:td

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Actually, the Spurs listed their attendance at 18,400 (considering I typed in the box score), but yes, that blows.

NuGGeTs-FaN
:lol , r u serious?

Im a Nuggets fan and id buy tickets for this series if i lived in San Antonio :smokin

ducks
is it because of the license plates?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 12:30 AM
is it because of the license plates?:lmao

I don't deserve it. I've been decidedly fairweather this season.

Chris
05-21-2007, 12:30 AM
That's why we don't have big games at 2:30 in the afternoon. Even on a Sunday that's just ridiculous. Night games will always be more effective for ticket sales. You're asking people to skip church, their job, and possibly a really bad hangover.

darkzero1
05-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Probably gas prices.

Fans could probably buy the Spurs for the price it costs to fill a tank.

ducks
05-21-2007, 12:34 AM
I wonder if I could get final tickets?

PM5K
05-21-2007, 12:36 AM
I was at Church, and it's not about what we deserve, it's about what our team has earned...

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Have to wait until tomorrow, but I could have SWORN the stat sheet said 18,400 - even NBA.com has 18,300.

Tigole Bitties
05-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Not only that, but some upper level tickets to Friday's Game 6 vs the Suns went for $30!

nkdlunch
05-21-2007, 12:43 AM
spurstalk deserves it!
I deserve it
all I think about is Spurs winning a 4th championship these days

Kermit
05-21-2007, 12:45 AM
jesus. had i known that tickets would be available, i would have skipped the ass-kicking the astros incurred today and drove my ass to san antonio.

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 12:48 AM
That is fucking pathetic beyond belief wait till the Spurs are a shit team and they may move to a new city when the building is empty every game.

Admidave50
05-21-2007, 12:51 AM
oh man that sucks! what is the average price of a playoff ticket?

alamo50
05-21-2007, 12:52 AM
That's just..............

Realy, to read this when I just got back home and feel so freakin' sad not to be there anymore to go to the games, instead having to sit here by my damn self in front of my computer in a country where nobody cares......

Unbelievable....................................

:pctoss

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Well next game is a night game so you spoiled Spurs fans living in SA better sell the place out, i don't wanna hear this shit again. I live in NY i would kill someone for a ticket to Tues game and a plane ticket to SA.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-21-2007, 01:00 AM
Probably saving $$$, so they can afford to pay 5-10x's face value to buy finals tickets from scalpers (since its nearly impossible to get tickets from ticketmaster)

Sec24Row7
05-21-2007, 01:05 AM
That's really odd...

I have to think at least some of the blame falls on the ticket sales dept of the Spurs...

I have to think though that had it been a 48 hour turnaround that those 500 tickets would have been snapped up...

ploto
05-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Still nice tickets available for Tuesday night-- even 2 together in a Super Box.

misterx91578
05-21-2007, 01:25 AM
does it matter how many people go to the game to determine a champion?

judaspriestess
05-21-2007, 01:27 AM
OH THANK GOD someone noticed. I am so goddamned ashamed of the fans. HOW DARE YOU LEAVE THE DAMN GAME BEFORE ITS OVER :pctoss

The Western Conference Finals and it wasn't a sell out? Half the arena leaves before the game is over? WTF??? No wonder people make fun of San Antonio. I wish I could be there and if Spurs make it to the Finals again, I am going to dig deep in my pockets and get my ass back to SA. Even if it takes my last dime to get there and be HONORED at the history I am seeing. :flipoff

Cry Havoc
05-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Anyone have a way for me to get to San Antonio cheap from Chicago?

I would absolutely kill to see a game this year. Man, it's been so long since I've been to a game.....

Let alone a playoff game....

Geez, you guys don't know how lucky you are to have an elite team..... grr.... I'd be there every game if I had the proximity and the financial means....

jmard5
05-21-2007, 02:26 AM
Probably due to the time slot.

Chris
05-21-2007, 03:05 AM
Anyone have a way for me to get to San Antonio cheap from Chicago?

I would absolutely kill to see a game this year. Man, it's been so long since I've been to a game.....

Let alone a playoff game....

Geez, you guys don't know how lucky you are to have an elite team..... grr.... I'd be there every game if I had the proximity and the financial means....

I took Amtrak train directly from Chicago to San Antonio a few years ago. Very cheap but be ready to sleep as its about a 24 hour trip.

ShoogarBear
05-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Probably the idiot contingent that thinks this is going to be a sweep didn't show.

NZ Spurs
05-21-2007, 03:28 AM
I flew half way round the world to see 5 regular season games! Come on people.

Tek_XX
05-21-2007, 03:29 AM
And San Antonio wants the NFL. No wonder the league rolls their eyes.

mattyc
05-21-2007, 03:29 AM
Nothing to worry about IMO. Shit happens.

rasho8
05-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Of course it isnt going to sell out at 2:30... wtf is that anyway? Not like there was another game being played. Why an early slot?

exstatic
05-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Shit, I just assumed they'd sell out after round two. Maybe ESPN got to them with all of the "boring" talk about this series.

OK, their official web site main page is also fucked up, at least with Firefox. When you roll over items on the top menu, it pops a sub menu, but you can't access items in the sub menu. When you try to scroll down to the sub items on the menu, the menu disappears. If you just click on the tickets top link, it takes you to a page pimping season tix for next year. The "tickets" link on the calendar page takes you to the same place.

GrandeDavid
05-21-2007, 07:37 AM
I will not drop the hammer on San Antonio now; I'll bite my tongue. But if it happens again I'll be pissed off. I'm going to assume it was just a scheduling miscommunication or freak occurrance thing. Both of which are bullsh!t excuses.

But I'll forgive this once.

I will guaransheed this- if the Spurs make it to the Finals I will be at every home game.

CharlieMac
05-21-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm broke, that's my excuse. I dont know whats wrong with the rest of the city. So yeah, I deserve a championship.

fyatuk
05-21-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm broke, that's my excuse. I dont know whats wrong with the rest of the city. So yeah, I deserve a championship.

Me too. Plus Sunday is my chore day, so I had to do that stuff :p:

I got some more excuses if needed!

spurschick
05-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Personally, I think it's time to differentiate between fans who go to the games and people who go because they're given tickets, etc. Not all fans have the extra income to go, even if tickets are only $30, so it's not fair to call them out. There are people who have family obligations on Sundays... they put family first and I don't see how you can call them out either. Those fans who could afford tickets and were able to be at the game were there.

As for those who left early, that completely blows. I looked behind me with about 4 minutes left to go in the 4th and the entire row had left. Total bullshit, but at that point I think you can say that those people who leave aren't real fans.

So, do Spurs fans deserve a championship? If you answer yes to the following questions:

1. When you go to the games, do you cheer, or at least stay, til the bitter end?

2. If you can't go to the games, are you glued to a tv, living and dying with every possession?

3. If you could afford it, would you buy season tickets?

Then yes, Spurs fans deserve a championship.

manubili
05-21-2007, 08:00 AM
I was in a trip, here in Argentina, sutck in a small city comic convention. I scaped and walked for an hour looking for a bar with a TV set. They were all closed. I finally rent a room in an hotel with cable, just to be able to watch the match.
Being there, at the ATT, for a play off game, is just one of my dreams.
As a argie Spurs fan, yeah, I deserve it!!

exstatic
05-21-2007, 08:01 AM
I think there also may have not been enough time to round up a corporate sponsor to buy the tix and distribute them to needy children's groups. Shit, with the short turnaround, they really only had a bit over 24 hrs to sell.

CubanMustGo
05-21-2007, 08:03 AM
I think there also may have not been enough time to round up a corporate sponsor to buy the tix and distribute them to needy children's groups. Shit, with the short turnaround, they really only had a bit over 24 hrs to sell.

Not to mention all they had was a Saturday and most businesses are closed.

Ginofan
05-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Spurs fans definitely deserve a championship. No doubt.

The people that can afford to go, go. Being Sunday I would say family comes first. Also, do we know that ALL of the tickets were released in a timely manner? Ticketmaster is the worst when it comes to that stuff, just release them all at once so everyone has a fair shake at getting them, instead of having to scramble 30 minutes before the game to get a ticket.

Soul_Patch
05-21-2007, 08:13 AM
I was at the game. I will admit though that i left or began leaving with about 8 seconds left in the game, just due to the fact it was obvious we were winning, and that i parked in a crap location and had about a 15 min walk to my car, and my wife is pregnant and wasnt feeling well. I have always hated when people do that though, especially if it is still a somewhat close game (not a freethrow contest at the end when a team is up by 10). You start looking around (especially in the lower levels) and people start filing out of the arena at like 2 min to go in the 4th. Completely disrespectfull imho.

spurs1990
05-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Personally I'd rather watch the game on a big-screen than sit up in the nose-bleeds. The SBC has horrible seating in the upperdeck.

There's a trend showing where NBA traditionally suffers attendence wise in the South. Look at the teams with the worst numbers: Memphis, Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans, and Atlanta. Compared to those cities, SA is doing pretty well, if only b/c the team is dominant. I'm certain once the lean years arrive, the SBC will sell-out only rarely.

Its football country..what're ya gonna do.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 08:26 AM
short turnaround probably had something to do with it, as well as the limit on # of tix per person.

GrandeDavid
05-21-2007, 08:28 AM
I flew half way round the world to see 5 regular season games! Come on people.

Chris, I'm really disappointed I was unable to meet up with you. Next time let me know in advance and we can coordinate something. You are also welcome anytime to visit me in Brazil!

ATRAIN
05-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Damn if I was in back in town I would have gone :(. Im going to try to make one game this series.

SA210
05-21-2007, 08:29 AM
When I tried to get tickets online when they went on sale, it said there were none available. wtf? That's for the last 2 games.

How the hell did they have tickets left?

LEONARD
05-21-2007, 08:40 AM
:oops :oops :oops :oops :oops :oops :oops :oops

BigBeezie
05-21-2007, 08:44 AM
I was going to buy tickets for Sunday, as I have every playoff series...but I'm being forced to buy plane tickets for a vacation instead.

maxpower
05-21-2007, 08:46 AM
a couple of hours before tipoff there were quite a few tix on ebay going for ...as low as $25 a pair. There were a good amount going for $48-60/pair by one scal...ticket broker who, I imagine, was kicking himself.

JustSpurs
05-21-2007, 08:59 AM
If I could afford it, I'd have season tickets.

Kori Ellis
05-21-2007, 09:04 AM
a couple of hours before tipoff there were quite a few tix on ebay going for ...as low as $25 a pair. There were a good amount going for $48-60/pair by one scal...ticket broker who, I imagine, was kicking himself.

But those still count as tickets sold - because the broker bought them.

I don't get how this game wasn't called a sell out by the Spurs. I've seen the arena have a couple thousand seats empty in the past and they still say it's sell out.

I'm guessing those last 497 available tickets were all single seats, because I know people who were trying to buy pairs on Ticketmaster yesterday and there weren't any.

Anyway, early start time on a Sunday coincides with church/family events for a lot of people.

easjer
05-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Don't live in or near the city - there are lots of Spurs fans in that predicament. And if it was a Friday or Saturday game, maybe, but we had to work today.

Also, we can't afford good seats, and frankly, I'd rather watch at a bar with a big screen or in the comfort of my home, where I can blog during the game and wear my lucky (and wildly mismatched) clothes.

I already think it was asking a lot to give up the Sunday nap - but you know, for the Spurs, I did it.

It did look empty on TV, but I hope it's packed next time.

98Ute1
05-21-2007, 09:16 AM

That is pretty lame.....maybe its because you guys have been here a lot in the past few years and your fans are spoiled.....The Jazz sold out games 3 and 4 in 15 minutes.

Sec24Row7
05-21-2007, 09:22 AM
ROFL... know what this tells me?

All of the upper deck people who say that lower bowl Spurs fan is spoiled, doesnt cheer and sits the whole game can go fuck himself.

WE SHOW UP TO THE GAME AT LEAST!

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-21-2007, 09:43 AM
can't even sell out a god damn fuckin Gm1 WCF

Spurs might as well play in an empty gym

and people wonder why the Spurs play better on the road

spoiled, fuckin spoiled, once TD retires and this organization isn't sniffing the playoffs for 10-15 years you will all cry for not selling out a damn WCF game

MoSpur
05-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Its not that big of a deal. They were off 497 tickets from a sell out. They had just played two days prior and the start time was weird at 2:30. I'm not worried about it. I don't think not selling out the first game of the WCF means the city and the fans don't deserve a championship.

DarrinS
05-21-2007, 09:44 AM
That is pretty lame.....maybe its because you guys have been here a lot in the past few years and your fans are spoiled.....The Jazz sold out games 3 and 4 in 15 minutes.

I don't usually go to the games, but I've noticed that, every year, there are fewer and fewer fans watching games at my favorite watering holes. I've almost been in a few fights over TV volume vs. jukebox volume. Can you believe that?

San Antonio has been spoiled by the success of the Spurs.

spursgrl20
05-21-2007, 09:48 AM
here's something else about the lame crowds. :depressed

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052107.2D.TWISTLEAD.36b4821.html

Melmart1
I tried getting tickets from ticketmaster and it was sold out, supposedly. I hate scalpers though, I bet most of those tickets were sold and people didn't get a hold of them. It never ceases to amaze me how many people have no idea where to get tickets online besides ticketmaster. Stubhub had plenty, but I decided to watch the game with my nephew after his Bible school instead.

DarrinS
I saw empty seats right behind the Jazz bench. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I guess some people have to get their pray on.

Bruno
05-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Spurs Dynasty 21 = PATHETIC

Bigzax
05-21-2007, 09:50 AM
the rich are spoiled. what else is new.

look up into 2nd level. sold out and loud. TRUE san antonio spurs fans.

Extra Stout
05-21-2007, 09:51 AM
That's why we don't have big games at 2:30 in the afternoon. Even on a Sunday that's just ridiculous. Night games will always be more effective for ticket sales. You're asking people to skip church, their job, and possibly a really bad hangover.
Lame excuse. It wouldn't be a problem in Salt Lake City, and I guarantee those Mormons have a much longer church day on Sunday than the average San Antonian, and are more devout to boot.

MoSpur
You making a big deal that the Spurs were off by a sell out by less than 500 tickets is kind of pathetic.

BigBeezie
Night games are best for ticket sales. Sunday during the day is never good for anything except football.

Sec24Row7
05-21-2007, 09:52 AM
the rich are spoiled. what else is new.

look up into 2nd level. sold out and loud. TRUE san antonio spurs fans.

ROFL... club 200 was where the seats were empty...

Extra Stout
does it matter how many people go to the game to determine a champion?
It just means that Spurs fans suck, and don't deserve the team.

RobinsontoDuncan
they really didnt sell out?

that is embarassing...and that's not the san antonio i remember...in 1999 when i was in san antonio during the finals, the entire city went mad, there was a let's go spurs sign everywhere

Bigzax
05-21-2007, 09:54 AM
ROFL... know what this tells me?

All of the upper deck people who say that lower bowl Spurs fan is spoiled, doesnt cheer and sits the whole game can go fuck himself.

WE SHOW UP TO THE GAME AT LEAST!

i'm going to go fuck myself...brb.

SA210
05-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Just wait till the national media gets a hold of this.

MoSpur
There are still a lot of Go Spurs Go signs all over the city. Its not the city is bored with this team. In my opinion, its not a big deal they didn't sell out the first game.

peskypesky

I understand your being upset...but it's not the fans' fault if they can no longer afford tickets to the games. A perfect example: My brother, who is a doctor, had season tickets for several years, but as the prices climbed, he finally had to give them up and watch the games at home. When a doctor feels he can no longer afford the extravagance of the tickets, it's a bad sign.

But don't blame it on the fans. You douche.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
TD should demand a trade after this season

SMH @ there being empty seats at a fuckin home WCF game

ploto
05-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Last year there was no problem selling out the first Dallas game on a day and a half turnaround and a Sunday afternoon game. So none of those excuses float.

ploto
05-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Just wait till the national media gets a hold of this.
Already did- on ESPN.

Extra Stout
05-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Personally I'd rather watch the game on a big-screen than sit up in the nose-bleeds. The SBC has horrible seating in the upperdeck.

There's a trend showing where NBA traditionally suffers attendence wise in the South. Look at the teams with the worst numbers: Memphis, Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans, and Atlanta. Compared to those cities, SA is doing pretty well, if only b/c the team is dominant. I'm certain once the lean years arrive, the SBC will sell-out only rarely.

Its football country..what're ya gonna do.
The exception: Dallas. And Dallas is hardly devoted to the Mavericks.

Not to mention that SA is more Southwest than South. Does Phoenix have trouble selling out Suns games? No.

These excuses are crap. If I could get out of town to go, I'd go. Period. There is no freaking way there are only 18,000 people in a metro area of close to 2 million that can afford to go to playoff games. San Antonio is richer than it has ever been before.

This just seals the reality that San Antonio takes the Spurs' success for granted. When Tim Duncan is gone, the Spurs will be lucky to draw 8,000 a game, like it was in the mid-'80s.

I just seriously hope that a bunch of Spurs "fans" didn't puss out over the Horry/Nash incident, because if they did, they deserve to be beaten severely.

ObiwanGinobili
I feel all shitty now.
we wanted to go but we couldn't find 4 tickets together that didn't break the bank.
then I watch on ABsucknutC and theres all these damn empties!!
jesus christ people - if you arn;t going to go - giver your tickets to someone who cares!

samikeyp
Holt is like every other owner, pricing the average fan out of the arena.

Say what you will about the dome....but it was cool getting 36,000 for a playoff game.

mullet
05-21-2007, 10:04 AM
that is really pathetic. back in 2001 I literally camped out in front of the alamodome on a stolen mattress for WCF tickets and still almost didnt get any. That series we got manhandled by the Lake Show, but I remember the dome being rowdy.

Now when you sit in the AT&T and cheer in the first quarter you get the stink eye from rich bitches who think you're being too loud

San Antonians are taking the Spurs success for granted, and its making me sick.

Holmes_Fans
05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
I saw empty seats right behind the Jazz bench. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I guess some people have to get their pray on.

So was it not a sellout, or was the arena just not at full capacity?

I know Dallas has sold out like 250 straight games, but very few game have been at full capacity. Only playoff games like game 5 against GS where it was at %110 capacity. Which is usually the case with all teams

Dingle Barry
05-21-2007, 10:17 AM
So was it not a sellout, or was the arena just not at full capacity?

I know Dallas has sold out like 250 straight games, but very few game have been at full capacity. Only playoff games like game 5 against GS where it was at %110 capacity. Which is usually the case with all teams

I'm pretty sure it was technically a sell-out.

RedWingz
05-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Not having sellouts by no means says that the fans are terrible,its actually the little things you see around town that tell you about fans.Here in Detroit you see pistons flags everywhere,from cars to homes.Yet with the economic situation here in Michigan one can hardly blame us for prefering to watch the games on TV.It doesnt mean we are lesser fans then the poeple who are financially well enough to attend.Heck its almost better to watch the game at a friends house then post on the forums with other fans anyway.I can scream and break my computer but if I did that at an arena ID be kicked out or arrested :spin

Extra Stout
05-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Not having sellouts by no means says that the fans are terrible,its actually the little things you see around town that tell you about fans.Here in Detroit you see pistons flags everywhere,from cars to homes.Yet with the economic situation here in Michigan one can hardly blame us for prefering to watch the games on TV.It doesnt mean we are lesser fans then the poeple who are financially well enough to attend.Heck its almost better to watch the game at a friends house then post on the forums with other fans anyway.I can scream and break my computer but if I did that at an arena ID be kicked out or arrested :spin
Michigan is much worse off than SA economically, but I'm not hearing a peep about not selling out the Palace.

RedWingz
05-21-2007, 10:22 AM
On some of our home forums we are getting it,not just the Pistons but Redwings fans are getting hit with it too.Really makes me :madrun :ihit :pctoss :bang

Soul_Patch
05-21-2007, 10:28 AM
I had to pay 60 dollars for 2 seats at the very top row (16) of section 202.

i think 30 bucks a ticket is cheap, since the face value on them was 55, but i also bought them from a friend.

My wife and i make a tad over 105k a year and i couldn't afford to buy 60 dollars worth of tickets for every game (although id love to). For your average household whom id assume is not breaking the 100k a year mark for the household, who i also assume are some of the most die hard fans, im dead certain it is all about the finances.

no reason on earth the seats i sat it yesterday should cost anything more than 10 or 15 bucks a seat.

Friend of mine paid 180 dollars a seat for 10th row lower level seats yesterday. That is just dumb.

That coupled with the fact that big companies buy up 90% of the lower level tickets then dont even use them half the time. that definately doesnt help the argument to not price out the actual fans.

if you are peter holt and can sell all of your over priced tickets to corporate offices, why would you worry about the average fans.

2centsworth
05-21-2007, 10:29 AM
How in the world was anyone suppossed to know tickets were available if it's not advertised. Anyone who thought about going as of Sunday just naturally assummed there was nothing left. Do you know how many hours many of us have wasted on Ticket Master trying to get playoff tickets?

I naturally assummed if I wanted tickets I would have to buy them on the secondary market and just wasn't in the mood to pay 2-3X face. Next time I know, but I'm sure there won't be a next time for about another 7 years from now after I've wasted another 20 days of my life on ticketmaster.

Extra Stout
05-21-2007, 10:32 AM
That coupled with the fact that big companies buy up 90% of the lower level tickets then dont even use them half the time. that definately doesnt help the argument to not price out the actual fans.
Those tickets count as sold.

Why isn't this a problem in any other comparable NBA city? San Antonio is not that poor anymore. It's wealthier than SLC even.

SA210
05-21-2007, 10:36 AM

Say what you will about the dome....but it was cool getting 36,000 for a playoff game.
:clap

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I agree, hard to believe the WCF wouldn't sell out, even if the seats are expensive, aren't there enough rich twats around to support the team?

Have people forgotten that what we're seeing is likely a once in a life opportunity? Once Duncan retires, it will be a long time, possibly never that we'll see a player of his caliber again. Look at the Celtics...they haven't been competitive for an entire generation.

These are golden days, the chance to see a legend play for a ring. He's already up there, but if Duncan wins another ring, he's in the top 10, maybe top 5 players... of all time.

Louie Vega
05-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Spurs might as well play in an empty gym
and people wonder why the Spurs play better on the road
spoiled, fuckin spoiled, once TD retires and this organization isn't sniffing the playoffs for 10-15 years you will all cry for not selling out a damn WCF game

:stfu

MadDog73
05-21-2007, 10:41 AM

I take it you went, SD21? How was it?

Brutalis
05-21-2007, 10:42 AM
You guys in SA not attending games yet cheering hard and have means to: You make Spurs fans not able to ASHAMED

iflyabeech
05-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I have never seen so many scalpers selling tickets on the way to the game.. They were lined up on the side of the road from practically downtown all the way to AT&T Center!

2centsworth
05-21-2007, 10:46 AM
I agree, hard to believe the WCF wouldn't sell out, even if the seats are expensive, aren't there enough rich twats around to support the team?

Have people forgotten that what we're seeing is likely a once in a life opportunity? Once Duncan retires, it will be a long time, possibly never that we'll see a player of his caliber again. Look at the Celtics...they haven't been competitive for an entire generation.

These are golden days, the chance to see a legend play for a ring. He's already up there, but if Duncan wins another ring, he's in the top 10, maybe top 5 players... of all time.
AGAIN, WHY WASN'T THIS A BIG DEAL BEFORE THE GAME WHEN SOMETHING COULD HAVE BEEN DONE ABOUT IT!!!!

People who had the desire and the means to buy tickets just naturally assummed the game was sold out and all that was available were the 2-3X face.

THE SPURS ORGANIZATION is at fault. Lazy marketing.. I can guarantee you it won't happen again for the next 7 years!!!

SAGambler
05-21-2007, 10:52 AM
I would have sworn I heard them say the game was "sold out". Just some fans didn't "show up".

Sunday afternoon is not a prime time for a ballgame.

And I would guess since it was game 1 with plenty more to go, some fans chose family and commitment over going to the game, even if they had tickets.

And like someone said, a lot of the community simply can't afford the prices for playoff tickets.

Doesn't mean they aren't fans and don't support their team in other ways.

I know a young lady that spent almost her entire weekly salary on Spurs gear, for herself and to "Spur" up her car, for the final game with Phoenix.

I suspect a lot of those empty seats were from "season" ticket holders, who I'm sure you have seen many times at the games on their phones or whatever and paying little attention to the game. They are part of the "San Antonio Social Club" that only buy the tickets for appearance sake.

jmard5
05-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Wish I am at San Antonio, I might have probably watched the game.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-21-2007, 10:55 AM
LOL @ people giving excuses that it was a "day" game instead of night

ITS THE WCF!!!!

sad, damn sad seeing empty seats everywhere

Kori Ellis
05-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Same topic is halfway down the page.

Merge.

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I was appalled by how many seats were empty at tip-off yesterday. Things filled in rather nicely, but even at that, the game just didn't feel at all like a playoff game and certainly not like a Western Conference Finals game. There was no electricity in the building and the crowd never really sustained any energy or noise as the game progressed.

I'll attribute part of the crowd malaise on the hangover from the end of a great series with Phoenix, the quick-turnaround, a certain misplaced complacency that the West is already won, and the lack of a real villian yet with Utah. None of those, however, strike me as particularly good excuses. At most there are 7 home games left in this Spurs season. I'm not really sure what people are waiting for.

Spurs fans really did a poor job with Game 1 of this series.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 11:05 AM
i'm sure the short turnaround was the major culprit here as well as only odd singles being available. i hate spurs fans as much as the next spurs fan but let's hold off on spraying the gasoline everywhere.

Soul_Patch
05-21-2007, 11:07 AM
It's hard to stay in the game really when the home team is blowing them out by over 20pts.

Utah made a contest of it late in the second half, but by then the interest was kinda over.

i still had fun and screamed my ass off and banged my little clapper thing against my legs to make obscene noises all game though.

Brutalis
05-21-2007, 11:09 AM
It could have been a lot of things. Travel prices, the team we are playing, the timing. Who really knows why I saw a lot of empty seats on TV.

ctpsb
05-21-2007, 11:11 AM
How in the world was anyone suppossed to know tickets were available if it's not advertised. Anyone who thought about going as of Sunday just naturally assummed there was nothing left. Do you know how many hours many of us have wasted on Ticket Master trying to get playoff tickets?

I naturally assummed if I wanted tickets I would have to buy them on the secondary market and just wasn't in the mood to pay 2-3X face. Next time I know, but I'm sure there won't be a next time for about another 7 years from now after I've wasted another 20 days of my life on ticketmaster.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!
I thought every playoff game was sold out! Pretty much everyone has been for so long! If they were the team did a terrible job of advertising it. Also I can't believe they were $30 a piece. If they were that would also be a first in quite a while.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 11:16 AM
no advertising about the tix, no $15k for license plates, no playoff shirts distributed to fans, etc... but man, they certainly are ready to dump on the fans when they don't have a sellout. maybe if you show the fanbase a little love they will do likewise. fucking spurs act like they own the fans' souls.

SA210
05-21-2007, 11:20 AM
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!
I thought every playoff game was sold out! Pretty much everyone has been for so long! If they were the team did a terrible job of advertising it. Also I can't believe they were $30 a piece. If they were that would also be a first in quite a while.
Me too, Ticketmaster.com said there was nothing available. I tried over and over again. I was looking for doubles, 3's and 4's, and nothing. They had to be singles.

If they weren't singles, then there is a problem we don't know about, because Ticketmaster was saying there was nothing for even doubles.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 11:23 AM
sounds like the spurs need to take it up with ticketmaster and not their slave...er, fans.

J.T.
05-21-2007, 11:29 AM
I love walking out of the AT&T after a game because you get to talk to real fans while you walk 8 miles to your car. It's fun and a little sobering too. I like people who leave early so I can watch the last half of the 4th quarter from row 5 instead of row 23 in the upper section. One man's trash is another's treasure.

SA210
05-21-2007, 11:30 AM
I love walking out of the AT&T after a game because you get to talk to real fans while you walk 8 miles to your car. It's fun and a little sobering too. I like people who leave early so I can watch the last half of the 4th quarter from row 5 instead of row 23 in the upper section. One man's trash is another's treasure.
:lol That's awesome.

longrod
05-21-2007, 11:37 AM

It was just in the news that (supposedly) for the first time in 5 years, a play-off game was not sold out in SA. I spend a lot of time in this town but I've yet to understand it...

If you are willing to miss the first 5-10 minutes of the game, you get stupendous deals on tickets in this town virtually every time. :toast

samikeyp
05-21-2007, 11:38 AM
As a whole, the Spurs fan base is pretty loyal and supportive. So yes, I think they deserve it...but not selling out a playoff game is inexcusable.

newbiefan
05-21-2007, 11:40 AM
"lots of empty seats on tv".

wonder also if these are the season ticket holders holding out to sell their tickets on ticket exchange for 2 to 3 times ticket value...wonder if they make enough off these sales to pay for their season tickets

2centsworth
05-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I blame the Spurs organization 100%. Please let me know if there are seats available, "Hello McFly".

Soul_Patch
05-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I never really understood the fans who arrive with like 2 min's to go in the second quarter. Sit through the bs halftime, then leave with about 7 minutes to go in the 4th. The majority of their time is spent eating 10lbs of nachos and talking on their cell phone / and or getting up and down every other minute.

why waste your time??

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 11:46 AM
fuck man give people a reason to go. at least other nba teams give fans real shit at the door in the playoffs. it's not surprising that the other day we found out the spurs wouldn't front a measly $15k so that fans could pay extra to get a spurs license plate. i did manage to make it in from out of town to go to a home game in the phoenix series, but that was mainly because i didn't make a regular season game this season. i didnt see much love to the fans in that arena, only 'how can we get you to shell out more of your $$$?' i can afford this shit and then some, but i can see how the average spurs fan would get tired of the franchise holting them at every turn in the at&t.

2centsworth
05-21-2007, 11:48 AM
fuck man give people a reason to go. at least other nba teams give fans real shit at the door in the playoffs. it's not surprising that the other day we found out the spurs wouldn't front a measly $15k so that fans could pay extra to get a spurs license plate. i did manage to make it in from out of town to go to a home game in the phoenix series, but that was mainly because i didn't make a regular season game this season. i didnt see much love to the fans in that arena, only 'how can we get you to shell out more of your $$$?' i can afford this shit and then some, but i can see how the average spurs fan would get tired of the franchise holting them at every turn in the at&t.
i did start to notice that a little at the last home game. I literally paid $9 for a hotdog.

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 11:50 AM
I was at the game yesterday cheering! I deserve one!

HaterzEraser
05-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Personally, I think it's time to differentiate between fans who go to the games and people who go because they're given tickets, etc. Not all fans have the extra income to go, even if tickets are only $30, so it's not fair to call them out. There are people who have family obligations on Sundays... they put family first and I don't see how you can call them out either. Those fans who could afford tickets and were able to be at the game were there.

As for those who left early, that completely blows. I looked behind me with about 4 minutes left to go in the 4th and the entire row had left. Total bullshit, but at that point I think you can say that those people who leave aren't real fans.

So, do Spurs fans deserve a championship? If you answer yes to the following questions:

1. When you go to the games, do you cheer, or at least stay, til the bitter end?

2. If you can't go to the games, are you glued to a tv, living and dying with every possession?

3. If you could afford it, would you buy season tickets?

Then yes, Spurs fans deserve a championship.

I completely agree with your statements. I lucked out and got amazing seats at the game section 103 and had one of the better times this season. I try to go to as many games as I can but work and school keep me from going. If I had the time and the extra money I would be at every game. At least I am making up for it by having attended every game this post season.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
i did start to notice that a little at the last home game. I literally paid $9 for a hotdog.

throw in a drink at $5 apiece per person and that shit adds up for the families who can only afford upper deck tix. not to mention that to get your ass to the arena you are burning $3+ gas. plus, this is past the middle of the month when a lot of peeps don't have that much disposable cash lying around. all in all, it's in very bad form for the spurs to complain about this, especially when all that was left was singles on a short turnaround game. fuck your entitlement cocksuckers.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
That's fucking ridiculous. Spurs fans are starting to give Dallas Mavs fans a run for their money :vomit:

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
yeah because everyone should give their last cent to peter holt.

SequSpur
05-21-2007, 12:15 PM
So because we don't donate our money to the Spurs, we don't deserve a championship?

They priced me out 2 years ago.

I enjoy it from the comfort of my home or a bar if need be.

I ain't buying tickets anymore.

Budkin
05-21-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm sure if the real Spurs fans could afford to go they would make that place a fucking madhouse! I don't think the arena not selling out is an indication of how passionate real Spurs fans are.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-21-2007, 12:23 PM
yeah because everyone should give their last cent to peter holt.

Who said everyone? We're talking 18,000 people in a city of over a million people.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Pretty crappy if you ask me.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 01:11 PM
i'm not exactly sure what spurs fans are being condemned for. if they wanted something other than singles they saw nothing available at ticketmaster. the team didn't even advertise that there was shit available. and frankly, even if i was in town on sunday i'd rather watch the game on tv than sit in row 35 in "club 200" (rofl...club 200 slaves).

MadDog73
05-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Is the Spurs organization blaming the fans, or just timvp?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
:lol

Just imagine when the Spurs start losing again.

Soul_Patch
05-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Parking at the golfcourse (where i normally park when i go to games) was 15 bucks yesterday.

I laughed my ass off as i drove on by. 15 fucking dollars to park my car? jesus christ.

i parked in the arena parking (still 8 dollars) and walked the mile or so to the front door.

LoVeNSpuRs
05-21-2007, 01:34 PM
I wish that the people that have and WILL go to the games would at least show more energy! Get LOUDER, even when our guys are slowing down! They need us to be supportive the entire time. I know that going to the games for some people is their way of showing their support, but lets make some NOISE! I too cannot afford to go to every home game, but be damn sure I'm on my feet the whole time, leaving with a bruised vocal chord! It's the Playoffs dammit! I got frustrated watching from home and the camera scans the court seats and there are people just sitting there. At least wave to the damn camera man. I'm glad someone brought this up. If I was loaded, I'd buy everyone in this forum season tickets to the Playoffs.. just so our Spurs had more energy in the stands. :dramaquee I'll get over it dammit. Come on Spurs Fans, lets show some more P.R.I.D.E.

Soul_Patch
05-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I was standing most of the game, even at row 16 in sec 202.

lol..

Mr. Body
05-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Not my fault. I'd go to the game if I weren't living many states away.

gameFACE
05-21-2007, 02:07 PM
ROFL... club 200 was where the seats were empty...
There were empty seats in the tea and crumpet lower bowl, too. I was upstairs and could see them.

Shame on SOFT Spurs fans. I read in another thread that someone referred to this as the Duncan era in the NBA. I agree. And it won't be here forever. Some of us have supported the team through really thin times. One day Tim will be gone and these opportunities won't be here.

Making an excuse is ridiculous. I'm sure Buddy Holly could give you all the stats but in a city of over 1 million you think we could muster up a sell out for a team that's in the western conference finals who are three time champs featuring one of the greatest NBA players of all time and the best PF of all time. That's no biggie.

41times
05-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Blame it on Global Warming.............everything else is.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 02:28 PM
sure, if you are single with no one to support then dropping a couple hundred to go to a game (ticket, parking, food, etc) is nothing. i guess what bugs me is this notion that somehow spurs fans aren't already supporting this team well financially. frankly a lot of families in that upper bowl shouldn't be there, they should be spending their $ on something more important. i guess you could say that it's a shame those who can afford it don't go, but how about next time letting spurs fans know there are unpaired tickets left?

Dirk Nowitzki
05-21-2007, 02:49 PM
You guys are ridiculous. You have no idea what it is like to have the Kings as you hometown team. They have been sold out for like 200 regular season games in a row. Thousands of people want to go to Kings games that cannot because they are sold out. Spurs tickets are some of the cheapest in the league as well. Go to the games!!!

Wait wait, you live in Sac town, but you are a Spurs, Patriots and Redsox fan? Let me guess you are a Gator fan for college? God what a fucking frontrunner. You are the last person who should talk about loyalty after look at who your favorite teams are.
:rolleyes :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Those fans just didn't want to support a bunch of dirty cheaters.

spurschick
05-21-2007, 03:25 PM
The Spurs are 7 wins away from their fourth championship and all people can do is bitch at each other about who is a fan and who isn't. Really sad.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Pointing that out means you're not a fan.

judaspriestess
05-21-2007, 03:28 PM
here's something else about the lame crowds. :depressed

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052107.2D.TWISTLEAD.36b4821.html

Maybe 497 tickets from a sellout is not all that bad, or whatever other excuse there is out there. I am PISSED off at people leaving the game early on National TV. That is the embarrassing part. I will give phoenix, GS and Utah Jazz fans credit they stay there till the end. Who gives a shit if the game is already won with a few minutes left. Its truly classless/tasteless when people leave the game so early. Like I said before, it only adds fuel to the fire. It opens the door to get insulted and I think its fair game to throw those insults out, oh and don't even get me going on how weak they sound through the TV. Its a travesty!! :cry

This is not the first time I have bitched about people leaving early btw, I've complained about it during some of the regular season games.

LilMissSPURfect
05-21-2007, 03:29 PM
The Spurs are 7 wins away from their fourth championship and all people can do is bitch at each other about who is a fan and who isn't. Really sad.

they'll b 400,000 fans down by the "muddy" riverwalk cheering the TROPHY on! :toast :toast

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 03:35 PM
yeah, leaving the game early is weak, particularly for those in the lower bowl. i recall a few leaving the dome early on memorial day 1999.

2centsworth
05-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Who said everyone? We're talking 18,000 people in a city of over a million people.
again, it would be nice of the spurs to let people know seats are available.
telling WOAI to make an annoucenment 2hrs before the game is not enough notice.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 03:38 PM
:lol I think there is enough notice at spurs.com today.

txball747
05-21-2007, 03:50 PM
I saw that in the paper--Can't be true! Must have been a marketing oversight or a computer glitz. I bought season tickets for 13 years, but not this year 'cause I am not working. I will have to go to Tues.'s game and bite the financial bullet!! Can't let my Spurs down! This is shameful!

judaspriestess
05-21-2007, 03:51 PM
I saw that in the paper--Can't be true! Must have been a marketing oversight or a computer glitz. I bought season tickets for 13 years, but not this year 'cause I am not working. I will have to go to Tues.'s game and bite the financial bullet!! Can't let my Spurs down! This is shameful!

God Bless you my friend!!

dknights411
05-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Ok, so 400 people didn't show up in an 18,000+ seat arena, it's not like the arena was half full, like in Atlanta or something. No reason to jump all over the fans, IMO. Some people, like me, would prefer to watch the game in a bar or something. Besides, the place was still packed relatively anyway, so what's the big deal?

SA210
05-21-2007, 04:09 PM
The opening topic today on "Around The Horn" was about this.
I knew the national media would jump on this. :pctoss

TampaDude
05-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Clearly, it's all Bush's fault! :lol

SA210
05-21-2007, 04:44 PM
The opening topic today on "Around The Horn" was about this.
I knew the national media would jump on this. :pctoss
And on Pardon The Interuption...

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I do find it entertaining that spurfans didn't bother to check for singles. It is the playoffs after all. If you don't really want to go that badly, it's not worth getting worked up over either.

timvp
05-21-2007, 04:49 PM
I remember camping out for a chance at tickets in '99. Nowadays you can get a ticket the day of the game no problem.

I'm not sure what it is, but you'd think the excitement generated by this team would be more than is seen around town.

Oh well. Luckily the Spurs can win with or without a crowd most nights.

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 04:52 PM
I just went to Spurs.com and typed in 10 tickets for the hell of it and i could get them if i wanted too. Come on guys in SA i live in NY i can't go but this is the playoffs how the hell can you guys in SA not be killing eachother for tickets.

timvp
05-21-2007, 04:53 PM
I remember camping out for a chance at tickets in '99. Nowadays you can get a ticket the day of the game no problem.

I'm not sure what it is, but you'd think the excitement generated by this team would be more than is seen around town.

Oh well. Luckily the Spurs can win with or without a crowd most nights.

That said, the Spurs should have saved face and given away the final 500 tickets. The negative national publicity only adds fuel to the fire. We'll hear how there's no way in hell Phoenix would have had tickets left over for that game ... and that's probably accurate.

The Spurs have fudged their numbers before, they should have done it again. Even the most spoiled of Spurs fan will eventually inquire about tickets.

timvp
05-21-2007, 04:53 PM
I just went to Spurs.com and typed in 10 tickets for the hell of it and i could get them if i wanted too. Come on guys in SA i live in NY i can't go but this is the playoffs how the hell can you guys in SA not be killing eachother for tickets.

We are all at Whataburger.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 04:54 PM
But now they've shamed spurfans into buying them.

Dude, ploto is a better fan than us and she doesnt' even like the Spurs!

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 04:56 PM
We are all at Whataburger.

You tell me is there not a buzz around town for the team. Are fans just not that keen on them anymore because they are used to winning.

Kori Ellis
05-21-2007, 04:57 PM

I blame how they release the tickets.

On Saturday, I looked for a pair of tickets for Game 2 in the upper level. It showed they were sold out. Now if I go look, there are tons of tickets available.

So I guess that a lot of people might look once and see them as sold out and then not keep checking back for the Spurs to release more tickets.

MannyIsGod
05-21-2007, 04:59 PM
I got about halfway through this thread before I got tired of reading the responses putting this on Spurs fans.

Fuck That

This is entirely on the Spurs themselves. Ticketmaster wasn't allowing you to purchase tickets. There was no communication to the public that there were tickets available. The Spurs could have sold those seats to a corporate sponsor at any point simply to get rid of them. The Spurs could have donated them to charity, gotten a tax write off, and gotten rid of the seats.

This has nothing to do with whether or not the Spurs fans deserve shit but whether or not the Spurs organization does a good job marketing themselves, communicating with the public and selling their tickets. If the Spurs want to sell their damn tickets they need to hire some new people who actually get the job done, IMO. Waiting for the product to sell itself isn't going to get the job done.

td4mvp21
05-21-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm not too sure if we deserve it. I'm beginning to think that if we got out of the playoffs before the Finals, and in the next coming years, it wouldn't be too bad of a thing. If you go to the games, stay the whole time and cheer your ass off. If you have tickets, be there on time, it's not that hard. There are a lot of people that can't afford to go or never even get the opportunity and we have spoiled, rich, non-enthusiastic season ticket holders going to the games. Yesterday's crowd was pathetic. It was so fucking quiet. Here's a news flash: It's the WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS. Appreciate it, dammit. One of the reasons we haven't been as sharp at home is because the crowd has grown increasingly quieter than normal for the playoffs. It sucks.

mullet
05-21-2007, 05:01 PM

Just imagine when the Spurs start losing again.

will never happen

Kori Ellis
05-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Ticketmaster wasn't allowing you to purchase tickets.

That's what I'm saying. It was showing that there were no pairs of upper level seats for Game 2. And now it's showing that there are tons and tons of tickets.

If I'm average Joe fan and I look once and it shows they are gone - then I'm not going to check over and over again.

timvp
05-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I got about halfway through this thread before I got tired of reading the responses putting this on Spurs fans.

Fuck That

This is entirely on the Spurs themselves. Ticketmaster wasn't allowing you to purchase tickets. There was no communication to the public that there were tickets available. The Spurs could have sold those seats to a corporate sponsor at any point simply to get rid of them. The Spurs could have donated them to charity, gotten a tax write off, and gotten rid of the seats.

This has nothing to do with whether or not the Spurs fans deserve shit but whether or not the Spurs organization does a good job marketing themselves, communicating with the public and selling their tickets. If the Spurs want to sell their damn tickets they need to hire some new people who actually get the job done, IMO. Waiting for the product to sell itself isn't going to get the job done.

So what changed between '99 and '07? In '99 you couldn't find a ticket at any point unless you had season tickets, camped out or were willing to pay 2+ times face value. Even in '03 all tickets were sold out within seconds no matter when they were released.

Did I miss a marketing campaign that suddenly ended between then and now?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 05:02 PM
It because we built a Meadowlands for the Spurs instead of another Hemisfair.

It was alot easier to get drunk before games downtown and stay drunk afterwards.

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
That's what I'm saying. It was showing that there were no pairs of upper level seats for Game 2. And now it's showing that there are tons and tons of tickets.

If I'm average Joe fan and I look once and it shows they are gone - then I'm not going to check over and over again.

Do they ever take out big ADS in the papers in the days before the playoff games thay they have tickets available and how to get them?

MannyIsGod
05-21-2007, 05:05 PM
So what changed between '99 and '07? In '99 you couldn't find a ticket at any point unless you had season tickets, camped out or were willing to pay 2+ times face value. Even in '03 all tickets were sold out within seconds no matter when they were released.

Did I miss a marketing campaign that suddenly ended between then and now?What changed? This isn't hte first title run. The first title run will sell itself and thats pretty damn obvious. Its new. But things lose luster, even winning NBA titles. The entire city is not made up of people who read Spurstalk and care about the Spurs as much as we do. Its just not.

And another thing, in 99 you actually COULD camp out to get tickets. It wasn't about a lucky HTTP connection at the right time. Now you either get lucky calling or you get lucky online but you can't camp out. That have ended up being a shit decision in the long run.

MannyIsGod
05-21-2007, 05:07 PM

If I'm average Joe fan and I look once and it shows they are gone - then I'm not going to check over and over again.Exactly. Ticketmaster fucking sucks for shit like that. How many times in the past have we heard the game is sold out simply for someone to say they got tickets a halfhour before Game one of the finals 30 minutes before tipoff?

They fuck shit up and then they want to complain that it doesn't sell?

I tell you what, sell tickets nowhere else but at the SBC center and I promise you that shit will sell out and we'll have lines of people waiting for them before hand. IT GENERATES HYPE.

dbreiden83080
If the Spurs get to the finals and this is a problem i am going to go NUTS seriously, what more do you want this team is going for their 4th title in 9 years.

mullet

:lol, my buddy Penis Monroe works for the spurs marketing. I blame it on him. bastard.... :nutkick:

smeagol
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Do Spurs Fans Deserve A Championship?
Short answer: Yes.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I tell you what, sell tickets nowhere else but at the SBC center and I promise you that shit will sell out and we'll have lines of people waiting for them before hand. IT GENERATES HYPE.Or, let the fact you didn't sell out into the media. Plenty of hype this afternoon about that.

timvp
05-21-2007, 05:10 PM
What changed? This isn't hte first title run. The first title run will sell itself and thats pretty damn obvious. Its new. But things lose luster, even winning NBA titles.

Exactly. That's what I'm sayin'.

No marketing plan is going to get Spurs fans out there to the game. It's not like going deep into the playoffs is a new phenomenon for this town.

It's tough for me to buy an argument that revolves around something other than Spurs fans don't care as much as they used to (or should?) care.

Kori Ellis
05-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Usually the day before the game, the Spurs release a notice to the media saying that there's X number of tickets left.

I didn't see that for Sunday's game (I'm not saying for sure they didn't announce it to the media but I didn't see it). I'm guessing since the tickets just went on sale on Saturday at noon, that was a big part of the problem. (In addition to TicketMaster showing no upper level seats were available)

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 05:11 PM

No marketing plan is going to get Spurs fans out there to the game. It's not like going deep into the playoffs is a new phenomenon for this town.

It's tough for me to buy an argument that revolves around something other than Spurs fans don't care as much as they used to (or should?) care.

Did tickets go real fast for game 6 with the Suns?

Obstructed_View
05-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Last year there was no problem selling out the first Dallas game on a day and a half turnaround and a Sunday afternoon game. So none of those excuses float.
When the opposing team's fans are within driving distance for the game, they'll pick up the extra tickets. Not many folks are going to drive the extra 20 miles from Salt Lake City.

MannyIsGod
05-21-2007, 05:13 PM

It's tough for me to buy an argument that revolves around something other than Spurs fans don't care as much as they used to (or should?) care.I don't know about that, but the marketing plan that involves the tickets you're trying to sell to be purchaseable is probably a good start.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 05:15 PM
sure, some of it's loss of luster, but i think the spurs are pricing a lot of fans out of the market, yes, even when it's the western conference finals. add to that a short turnaround and terrible communication and you had a non-sell out yesterday. back in '99 a family of 4 with household income of $35K could go to a game for a fairly inexpensive price. nowadays it costs a lot more at holt center, in part because you only have 18k seats and not the 35k you had in the dome.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 05:15 PM
spurfans didn't want to bother going to the Meadowlands to see their team in the WCF unless they could sit together.

That's not a crime.

SA210
05-21-2007, 05:19 PM
I blame how they release the tickets.

On Saturday, I looked for a pair of tickets for Game 2 in the upper level. It showed they were sold out. Now if I go look, there are tons of tickets available.

So I guess that a lot of people might look once and see them as sold out and then not keep checking back for the Spurs to release more tickets.
That's exactly what happened to me for Game 6 and now Games 1 and 2 of this series. I even called, the lady on the phone told me that there was NOTHING available at all.

How did this happen, but now there are tickets? :wtf

Kori Ellis
05-21-2007, 05:21 PM
That's exactly what happened to me for Game 6 and now Games 1 and 2 of this series. I even called, the lady on the phone told me that there was NOTHING available at all.

How did this happen, but now there are tickets? :wtf

I don't know why but they seem to release tickets several times. Last night there were no pairs of Game 2 tickets upstairs. Right now, there are.

Everybody who wants to go to the game, there's plenty of upper and lower level seats right now. So please, buy them if you want them.

mullet
05-21-2007, 05:22 PM
It sucks that they cant even fill up the AT&T when we were blowing the roof off the dome, but what irks me ever more is the quality of the fan after years of Spurs success.

The arena is quiet until the Spurs do something worth cheering for, and even then its usually not that loud. What happened to all the ravenous "we are the championship" pura raza baseline bums ?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 05:22 PM
When you check for tickets online or on the phone, the tickets are put on hold so no one else can buy them, and they stay that way for several minutes. I'm sure checking at a peak time would probably result in many sections being sold out, especially if you want two or more tickets.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 05:23 PM
another point is that it's almost like the spurs take fans for granted. in the last round the only gimme was a paper noisemaker from the express. it seems like every other franchise in the playoffs is handing out free shirts to 'paint the arena orange or blue or whatever'. there's too much of a sense of entitlement coming from the team nowadays. as in, you should be thanking us we might actually let you in.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 05:23 PM
It sucks that they cant even fill up the AT&T when we were blowing the roof off the dome, but what irks me ever more is the quality of the fan after years of Spurs success.

The arena is quiet until the Spurs do something worth cheering for, and even then its usually not that loud. What happened to all the ravenous "we are the championship" pura raza baseline bums ?Not enough bars around the arena.

timvp
05-21-2007, 05:24 PM
spurfans didn't want to bother going to the Meadowlands to see their team in the WCF unless they could sit together.

That's not a crime.

Why are there tickets still available for Game 2? Poor marketing?

I guess I can buy the explanation that the Spurs have priced too many families out of going to games since that's impossible to disprove, but where are the puro Spurs fans who would buy tickets with their rent money?

:smokin

cholo
05-21-2007, 05:25 PM

The arena is quiet until the Spurs do something worth cheering for, and even then its usually not that loud. What happened to all the ravenous "we are the championship" pura raza baseline bums ?

orale, we're still here! we just cant afford to even sit in the parking lot

timvp
05-21-2007, 05:26 PM
another point is that it's almost like the spurs take fans for granted. in the last round the only gimme was a paper noisemaker from the express. it seems like every other franchise in the playoffs is handing out free shirts to 'paint the arena orange or blue or whatever'. there's too much of a sense of entitlement coming from the team nowadays. as in, you should be thanking us we might actually let you in.

I don't know what's worse. Not spending $15K so Spurs fans can waste their money on license plates with a likely outcome that the $15K will be refunded, or not joining every other team in the playoffs in giving away a free t-shirt. At least for one game.

SequSpur
05-21-2007, 05:26 PM
In the last year of the Alamodome we paid about $1700 for 2 season tickets in Club level. These were excellent seats. $4 parking

The first year at the SBC, we paid $2900 for 2 season tickets 17 rows up in Section 225. No leg room, shitty view, and steep steps. $5 parking

The next year at the SBC, we paid >$3500 for 2 season tickets 3rd row in Section 210. $ 7 parking

The next year we did half season for about $2K. $8 parking

Now they can blow me. I'm done.

SA210
05-21-2007, 05:27 PM
orale, we're still here! we just cant afford to even sit in the parking lot
:lmao

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Why are there tickets still available for Game 2? Poor marketing?Now it's a boycott for being portrayed as bad fans in the national media.
I guess I can buy the explanation that the Spurs have priced too many families out of going to games since that's impossible to disprove, but where are the puro Spurs fans who would buy tickets with their rent money?It's a weeknight. spurfans are spoiled. Eastside scares white folk.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
the best tix i could find for game 3 in the last round were $90 apiece in the peasant section, row 3. not bad seats, but not great. granted, these were resells on the spurs ticket exchange. i didn't bother looking for singles on ticketmaster as i wanted two seats together. when all was said and done i ended up spending close to $300 on parking, refreshments, and one run of the mill t-shirt for my wife. to me that seems a bit pricey for attending a game and sitting up top, especially for fans making far less and who are expected to show up to multiple playoff games.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Did sequ just bitch about legroom?

mullet
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
this is the new intro page (http://www.nba.com/spurs/tickets/splash_070521.html) to spurs playoff central

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I don't know what's worse. Not spending $15K so Spurs fans can waste their money on license plates with a likely outcome that the $15K will be refunded, or not joining every other team in the playoffs in giving away a free t-shirt. At least for one game.

both are about the symbolism more than anything else. what does the team do that shows any sense of gratitude to the fans?

longrod
Did I miss a marketing campaign that suddenly ended between then and now?

Well, the AT&T Center is in a real shithole, for one thing. It works fine when you can take a limo service from downtown to drop you off and pick you up but that is not reality for many people. It was definitely more fun to loosen up downtown and then walk to the Dome in 10 minutes and then back for some more after the game.

ChumpDumper
i wanted two seats together.So did a few hundred other couples. There's no reason to become a socialist because of it.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 05:33 PM
So did a few hundred other couples. There's no reason to become a socialist because of it.

well, the spurs enjoy quite a few public benefits, to say the least.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
well, the spurs enjoy quite a few public benefits, to say the least.Did you vote against them?

SA210
05-21-2007, 05:35 PM
this is the new intro page (http://www.nba.com/spurs/tickets/splash_070521.html) to spurs playoff central
Am I mistaken, or are they allowing for you to buy more than 4 tickets now?
The option is up to 50 tickets.

longrod
05-21-2007, 05:36 PM
what does the team do that shows any sense of gratitude to the fans?

Well, it keeps winning and the tickets are cheap...

Sounds like some of you have never been anywhere else.

timvp
05-21-2007, 05:36 PM
both are about the symbolism more than anything else. what does the team do that shows any sense of gratitude to the fans?

http://www.uthscsa.edu/mission/fall98/coyote.jpg

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Did you vote against them?

didn't vote for or against as i was not registered in bexar county. anyways, this particular non-sell out was more about poor marketing communications than anything else, but it was rather shocking how expensive it's become to attend a spurs game and we'd probably have season tix in the lower bowl if we lived in sa.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 05:38 PM

rofl

mullet
05-21-2007, 05:39 PM

are you serious? last time I caught one of those it was a teal blue Builders Square XXXL that faded the first time I washed it

mullet
05-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Am I mistaken, or are they allowing for you to buy more than 4 tickets now?
The option is up to 50 tickets.

goes up to 50 but it still won'tl let you get more than 4

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 05:40 PM
anyways, this particular non-sell out was more about poor marketing communications than anything elseHow do you know that? Sounds like it was people like you who wouldn't want to go to a WCF game if it meant being seperated from a spouse or friend for two hours.

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2007, 05:43 PM
One thing that probably is hurting ticket sales in the short run is that there isn't a fanbase on the other side that's going to swoop in and buy up extra tickets to see this series. Last year with Dallas, 25% of the building was Mavs' fans. With Denver in the First Round, you got a lot of the Iverson-Anthony crew showing up to see their boys play. With Phoenix, you got the "need to see shiny objects" crowd that runs with whatever team scores points and plays flashy basketball. But with Utah, there are (it seems to me) very few Jazz fans outside of Utahns.

Along with the valid complaints that the Spurs have handled ticket releases and purchasing in some ridiculous ways, the Spurs might have been short-sighted in limiting the additional playoff tickets that season-ticket holders could buy up -- that might not be optimal for all, but it generally allows for pairs (or more) to be sold on the secondary market, rather than limiting sales to singles in a primary market.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-21-2007, 05:47 PM
I think, as sad as it is, you have to take into account the opponent. Most people look at the Jazz and think it's a foregone conclusion we win. I suspect had we been playing Phoenix or Dallas yesterday, all seats would have been spoken for.

I really don't care what excuses people throw out, this team's fans by and large take its success for granted.

You add in all the above to poor marketing and advertising of ticket availability for the game (honestly, how hard would it have been to get something in Sunday's paper?) and the giant gaping suckfest that is Ticketmaster, and you get what happened yesterday.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Another drawback to having the Spurs play in East Rutherford is that it is impossible to expect the kind of onsite gameday, let's-see-if-they-have-anything ticket sales because it costs too much in parking and time and there are no plan B options like hanging out on the riverwalk in case the game is indeed sold out.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 06:15 PM
How do you know that? Sounds like it was people like you who wouldn't want to go to a WCF game if it meant being seperated from a spouse or friend for two hours.

well yeah, considering that we were coming from out of town it would be a tough sell

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey, if that's what's important to you....

Money316
05-21-2007, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=darkzero1]Probably gas prices.

Naw, I just heard Al Gore blamed this shit on Global Warming too.

:fro :dizzy :fro

braeden0613
05-21-2007, 06:33 PM
well i will be at the game tomorrow...so thats all that matters

IceColdBrewski
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Meh. I did my time in the trenches in the 90's at the Dome. But after the rugrats came rolling in, and the family responsibities started piling up, I decided splurging for Spurs tickets all the time wasn't high on the priority list. I still go to a game or 2 every year, but nothing major.

exstatic
05-21-2007, 06:39 PM
I actually have to argue that this was the first non-sellout playoff game. I attended game 1 of the 2003 Finals, and sat in an upstairs section that was at LEAST 1/4 empty, and it wasn't random seats that people might not have showed up. It was entire empty rows. I got the seats that afternoon, when they apparently released tix they had been holding for the Nets. Unless the NBA has changed the way they categorized sellout vs. non-sellout since 2003, this is bullshit.

Mark in Austin
05-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Another drawback to having the Spurs play in East Rutherford is that it is impossible to expect the kind of onsite gameday, let's-see-if-they-have-anything ticket sales because it costs too much in parking and time and there are no plan B options like hanging out on the riverwalk in case the game is indeed sold out.

:lol @ East Rutherford. But true.

FreshPrince22
05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Wow.

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 07:16 PM
From the amount of tickets i am seeing still available there is a good chance tomorrow night will not be a sellout either. What are people in SA waiting for the finals to start this is pathetic. Bad enough the media is killing the Spurs for being boring but now they can kill us for their own fans not giving a shit about them.

IceColdBrewski
05-21-2007, 07:38 PM
From the amount of tickets i am seeing still available there is a good chance tomorrow night will not be a sellout either. What are people in SA waiting for the finals to start this is pathetic. Bad enough the media is killing the Spurs for being boring but now they can kill us for their own fans not giving a shit about them.

Hate to break it to ya, but the media is going to hate on the Spurs no matter what they do. First they were too soft. Then too boring. Now they're too dirty, and their fans aren't selling out the games. Blah, blah, blah. Let em hate. It's gonna make any Conference Championship or League Championship taste that much sweeter.

T Park
05-21-2007, 07:51 PM

God, wheres the emoticon?

:violin

oh and fuck the alamodome.

That shithouse was pathetic for basketball.

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Hate to break it to ya, but the media is going to hate on the Spurs no matter what they do. First they were too soft. Then too boring. Now they're too dirty, and their fans aren't selling out the games. Blah, blah, blah. Let em hate. It's gonna make any Conference Championship or League Championship taste that much sweeter.

I don't need that broken to me i am already keenly aware of it but it makes the city of SA look like shit when they are not selling out WCF games that is all i am saying.

Kori Ellis
05-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Two tickets for tomorrow night - bid right now is $1.04 :lol with 11 min left in the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spurs-Vs-Jazz-Western-Conference-Finals-Game-2-Tkts_W0QQitemZ290119604689QQihZ019QQcategoryZ16122 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

spurschick
05-21-2007, 08:55 PM
in the last round the only gimme was a paper noisemaker from the express.

I like those noisemakers. I think they've been the most effective so far in terms of adding volume to the arena. I've said it before... I'd rather the arena be loud than have an arena full of quiet, black t-shirts.

Holmes_Fans
05-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Friend of mine paid 180 dollars a seat for 10th row lower level seats yesterday. That is just dumb.

Are you kidding me? $180 for a 10th row seat is cheap as hell

Obi-Wan-Ginobili
05-21-2007, 09:48 PM
that is really pathetic. back in 2001 I literally camped out in front of the alamodome on a stolen mattress for WCF tickets and still almost didnt get any. That series we got manhandled by the Lake Show, but I remember the dome being rowdy.

Now when you sit in the AT&T and cheer in the first quarter you get the stink eye from rich bitches who think you're being too loud

San Antonians are taking the Spurs success for granted, and its making me sick.

Well said. :clap

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I like those noisemakers. I think they've been the most effective so far in terms of adding volume to the arena. I've said it before... I'd rather the arena be loud than have an arena full of quiet, black t-shirts.

sure, the noisemakers are nice. maybe we can get some other crumbs too.

ObiwanGinobili
05-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Two tickets for tomorrow night - bid right now is $1.04 :lol with 11 min left in the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spurs-Vs-Jazz-Western-Conference-Finals-Game-2-Tkts_W0QQitemZ290119604689QQihZ019QQcategoryZ16122 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the face value on those was $125, and someone got them for $51.00

damn I wish that was me.. :(
but I need 4 tickets.

sheriee84
05-21-2007, 09:57 PM
I actually wanted to go to the game, but i figured the game was already sold out... Also, the Suns' series ended so quickly and the Jazz series started so quickly, I don't think anyone had enough time to buy the tickets.

efrem1
05-21-2007, 10:05 PM
I will forgive them for this non-sellout. Short turnaround, low wage market, non-flashy opponent. Whatever. Make sure you sell out for the rest of the run guys. :bang

Holmes_Fans
05-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Probably saving $$$, so they can afford to pay 5-10x's face value to buy finals tickets from scalpers (since its nearly impossible to get tickets from ticketmaster)
If scalpers aren't getting $50 for tickets now, I doubt they will be able to get them for hundreds of dollars. The scalping can not be nearly as bad as in Dallas. For round 1 games only 1,000 seats were available on Ticketmaster after the season ticket people got theirs. You can't tell me that many people have season tickets to the spurs.

GRANFAN
05-21-2007, 10:09 PM
[I]It sucks that they cant even fill up the AT&T when we were blowing the roof off the dome, but what irks me ever more is the quality of the fan after years of Spurs success)
check out the detroit game...fans there are lame.. even though in the beginning of the game,,sheed was trying to get the crowd in it...

Holmes_Fans
05-21-2007, 10:19 PM
The AAC is usually having the roof blown off to. Even the north dallas pretty people get into it. Dallas is setting arena records with the largest attendance ever, and it was a 1st round game, while spurs can even sell out the WCF.

They should be grateful they even have a fucking good team, they are one slight movement of a hand away from sucking. They could of easily had not been drawn where they had been, thus missing duncan.

baseline bum
05-21-2007, 10:21 PM

You gotta be fucking kidding me. WTF happened to SA? Coming off one of the greatest wins in franchise history, and no one wants to show for the motherfucking WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS. Do people in the city just not give a shit about the Spurs anymore? I remember when half the cars on 281 would have Spurs flags and the fans actually made some fucking noise. WTF happened to the city that shut down I-37 to have a huge party when AJ clinched our first?

Punkkboy44
05-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Go to the game and support this team..Detroit fans helped them BIGTIME TONITE..don't embarass the Spurs with less than a sellout..u all suck if u don't show.

Riyacus
05-21-2007, 11:19 PM
That's bull, I would kill to get myself & wife there... You locals better find your a$$ there the next game!

Jelly
05-21-2007, 11:38 PM
I've brought this up before, but how many of these tickets have been bought up by corporations to give to clients who don't give a crap about seeing San Antonio? Does anyone know the answer. I forgot to copy the link, but SA actually ranks 9th in attendance in the NBA, with a 100.8% average home attendance. Obviously, hundreds- maybe thousands are corporate gifts that go unused. That's a shame. Check out the numbers by googling ESPN NBA attendance.