PDA

View Full Version : ASK THE EXPERT: Pistons good, but Spurs better

ducks
05-21-2007, 07:27 AM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070520/SPORTS03/705200669/1048/SPORTS

ASK THE EXPERT: Pistons good, but Spurs better
May 20, 2007

The Free Press traded e-mails with Yahoo! Sports columnist Adrian Wojnarowski about the NBA playoffs.

On what has impressed him about the Pistons: The ability of (Chauncey) Billups and (Richard) Hamilton to control the flow and persona of a game has been truly remarkable in these playoffs. When Rasheed Wallace is playing inspired basketball, no one in the East is going to beat the Pistons.

Advertisement

On what worries him about the Pistons: (Their) disposition to mentally check in and out of a series in stretches. You saw it a year ago against the Cavaliers, losing three straight, and against the Bulls last week. Still, this is a team that ultimately has the ability to understand the gravity of the moment.

On the Pistons-Cavs series: The only way the Pistons lose to this series to the Cavs is if they let LeBron James go wild. And they won't. They're going to force him into a lot of jump shots by playing a lot of zone. The Cavs are far less prepared than the Bulls to make that leap into championship contention. Getting to the conference finals makes their season.

On a Spurs-Pistons matchup: The Spurs are coming again, and the NBA is destined for that television ratings nightmare of the Spurs-Pistons. These Spurs are a better team than the one that beat Detroit in the Finals (two) years ago, because the parts are around Tim Duncan -- who still is the most dominant two-way player in the world -- are older and better now. Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are moving into their primes and these Spurs match up well with Detroit all over the floor.

His Finals prediction: I'll stay with my preseason prediction: San Antonio over Detroit in the Finals. I'll never completely discount the Pistons' championship character and pedigree, but San Antonio is the best team in basketball now. If they play well in the Finals, the Pistons won't beat them in a seven-game series.

WalterBenitez
05-21-2007, 08:02 AM
I'd love to face DET again, but those kids looks solid ... but first we have to deal with Jazz, remember big boys make big noise after falling (dunno why bat Mavs come into min mind :D).

DET is solid, for me they are a machine don't let any space for opponents, inside and outside, probably the most deserved team to be in the Cahmpionship series ... but Spurs will be ready ... I hope.

CubanMustGo
05-21-2007, 08:05 AM
You know, if sportswriters would just QUIT SAYING THE RATINGS ARE GOING TO BE CRAPPY and that DETROIT AND SA ARE "BORING" maybe people would give them a chance.

Not to mention if we could occasionally see someone beside LA and the LeBrons on national TV during the regular season ...

Back on point, I would not discount Detroit as lightly as does Wojo.

ObiwanGinobili
05-21-2007, 08:25 AM
this Wojo dude should consider changing his last name for professsional reasons... If I were him I would hate to e confused with that other wojopusinkski dude.

damn I am so geared up for a SA v DET finals again that I almost don;t give 2 shits about the Jazz.

almost.

Mavs<Spurs
05-21-2007, 09:30 AM
I think that the Pistons are slightly better than in 05 because of their bench.

Losing Ben Wallace had to hurt their defense some, but it is still awesome defense and they did add Webber who does help their offense.

And their bench is better than it was.

However, the Spurs have improved more than the Pistons.

First, Tim Duncan is healthy, without any sprained ankles.
That spells trouble.

Second, Tony Parker is a better player now with a better jumpshot. Leaving him open for jumpshots is no longer an option if you want to beat the Spurs.

Third, Michael Finley is on this Spurs team and his playoff performance has been sensational.

Add to that, the fact that the Spurs are the best defensive team in the NBA and you have to conclude that the Spurs are a slight favorite, especially with hca, to beat the Pistons.

However, that series probably goes 7 and either team could win it.

DarrinS
05-21-2007, 09:32 AM
I wish we could just fastforward to the Spurs/Pistons finals.

For this first time this playoffs, I was actually a little bored during the game yesterday.

VaSpursFan
05-21-2007, 09:32 AM
somehow, i think the cavs will end up in the finals...

Sec24Row7
05-21-2007, 09:35 AM
The largest mismatch that the Spurs will have over the Pistons in the Finals if both teams get there is:

Popovich vs Saunders

phyzik
05-21-2007, 09:48 AM
wasn't Spurs/Pistons finals one of the highest ratings finals in a while?

Also, they just count national ratings, what about global ratings?

Dingle Barry
05-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Yep, Pop vs. Flip has to scare the DET faithful.

michaelwcho
05-21-2007, 10:26 AM
If we get to the finals and beat the Pistons, I hope someone makes one of those things with a big Popovich and a little Saunders that says "Owned".

MadDog73
05-21-2007, 10:34 AM
I wish we could just fastforward to the Spurs/Pistons finals.

For this first time this playoffs, I was actually a little bored during the game yesterday.

Jazz forgot to show up yesterday (except Williams - damn, he's good!)

I expect Game 2 to be much harder for the Spurs to win.

Spurs in 5?