PDA

View Full Version : Rockets to Adopt Phoenix System

ducks
05-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Rockets to Adopt Phoenix System

SportsJustice
A sports blog with Richard Justice

May 19, 2007
Does anyone have the nerve to tell Les he has a bad idea?

I'm wondering if anyone at Toyota Center has the nerve to tell Les Alexander his idea of adopting the Phoenix system is dumb. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. I know it won't be Daryl Morey. He wanted to bring Jeff Van Gundy back as coach, and you saw what Alexander thought of that.

Poor Daryl. We were having a combative conversation earlier this week in which I was telling him that I didn't think he'd been completely honest. Actually, I might have accused him of flat-out lying. By the end of our conversation, I had the feeling this nice young man wished he was back in Boston doing baseball stats and movie reviews.

He has an odd pick for GM in the first place. First, the Rockets had a successor to Carroll Dawson in place. Dennis Lindsey deserved the job. But Morey is extremely bright, and even though he has never made a trade or a draft choice, it would be intersting to see how he performs if he had freedom to do his job.

That's the one thing about sports in this town I can't figure out. How much freedom do the GMs really have? I'm pretty sure Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak have complete control of the Texans. I think Bob McNair trusts them to do the right thing.

I think Tim Purpura has some control, but Drayton McLane is such a large presence that I'm not sure how much. The Rockets are even tougher to read because, unlike McNair and McLane, Les Alexander seldom shows his face. All you need to know about that is it was his decision to fire Jeff Van Gundy and he sent Daryl Morey out to explain it. Not good.

OK, back to Alexander's idea to have the Rockets run like the Phoenix Suns. It would appear Les doesn't watch much NBA basketball. Maybe these Western Conference games start past his bed time.

If Les is paying attention, he might notice that Utah and San Antonio are going to play for the Western Conference championship. He might note that those two teams play the way Van Gundy wanted to play. They're about defensive stops and rebounding and making the extra pass.

They have better players than the Rockets. They have players who can get into the lane and create scoring chances. That might be a reason they're still playing and the Rockets aren't.

As for those high-flying teams, they're home now. The Phoenix system is fun to watch, but it has never won a championship. Phoenix, Golden State and Denver--the NBA's highest-scoring teams--won't be bringing the hardware home again. Of the NBA's 13 highest-scoring teams, just one of them--the Jazz at No. 6--is still playing.

I hope someone has the nerve to stick their head in Alexander's office and say: ''Defense and rebounding are what wins in the NBA. You're dumb to think otherwise.'' I'm sure that guy will get a nice severance package.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/05/does_anyone_hav.html

jayfmyers
05-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Shouldn't this be in the NBA forum?

Jimcs50
05-21-2007, 08:05 AM
How is Yao going to run up and down the court for 37 mins???

Crazy shit.

Soul_Patch
05-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Im suprised everyone isn't adopting the phoenix system. I mean look at what it has done for phoenix....oh wait...nm..

WalterBenitez
05-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Holy shit, we will get the 2008 finals again!!!, such a great news.... go Rockets ... I would love the way you will play :clap :clap

WalterBenitez
05-21-2007, 08:40 AM

Crazy shit.

Come on man, Chinesse people makes miracles with bikes :lol

bdictjames
05-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Shane Battier might not fit in that system

And so will Dikembe and Juwan

CubanMustGo
05-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Rockets to run Phoenix system; Yao to develop fallen arches, Mutumbo to retire.

MadDog73
05-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Will Rockets even make the playoffs next year?

easjer
05-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Forget who is still playing and who is not for a moment. Some of that is luck/seeding oriented.

Um, after you hitch your wagon to a traditional big man who does not have the constitution to enable to run up and down the court in a speedy way, you lose the opportunity to attempt to run and gun.

Flat out. Who on their roster can do that?

'Les must not watch much BB' indeed.

Amare_32
05-21-2007, 09:24 AM
An idea they will abandon after the first game. That is not Yao's game. T-Mac can play that style but no one else on that team can.

Sec24Row7
05-21-2007, 09:25 AM
ROFL... Pheonix system with a Dominant big man who has conditioning issues...

ThomasGranger
05-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Will Rockets even make the playoffs next year?

Who cares! As long as they're fun to watch during the regular season . . .

CosmicCowboy
05-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Maybe they will trade Yao for Amare and D'Antoni.

THAT would be funny.

cherylsteele
05-21-2007, 09:37 AM

Crazy shit.
He may try one of these:
http://www.skates.com/photos/7081-2.jpg

Extra Stout
05-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Teams who play run-and-gun, and their playmaking guards:

Phoenix: Steve Nash
Golden State: Baron Davis
Denver: Allen Iverson

-------------------------

Houston: Rafer Alston

Examples of mobile big men who can run the floor: Andris Biedrins, Nene, Marcus Camby, Amare Stoudemire, Boris Diaw

Examples of immobile big men who excel in the low post, but can't run the floor: Yao Ming

Les Alexander just doomed the current iteration of the Houston Rockets. They won't win 30 games next year; meanwhile JVG will make the playoffs in Sacramento, and everyone in Houston will call Alexander out for the idiot he is.

samikeyp
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Yes because it has worked so well lately!

:lol

jmard5
05-21-2007, 10:03 AM
This is nuts. Yao will have his career shortened should this pushes through.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-21-2007, 10:08 AM
With the Phoenix system the only option for the Rockets would be for TMac to take the ball up on offense, attack the hoop, and let the other four Rockets stay back on D. There were stretches of the Utah series where I think they employed a similar offensive system except that the other four Rockets crossed the half court line and then stopped doing anything at all.

RedWingz
05-21-2007, 10:41 AM
The Team that I really like is the Jazz.even though SA will beat them,I feel the Jazz are very soundly built and with another scorer or 2 would be a contender for sure.

Louie Vega
05-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm beginning to wonder about these franchises in Houston. The Astros are a joke,we all know that. But the Texans and their draft debacle. And now the Rockets want to be just like the Suns? Houston, we have a problem!

Jimcs50
05-21-2007, 10:48 AM
And Rick Adleman has had sooo much playoff success.

JVG can coach circles around Rick.

Brutalis
05-21-2007, 10:51 AM
:lol seriously

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-21-2007, 10:55 AM
This is nuts. Yao will have his career shortened should this pushes through.
With that system Yao would be able to play into his forties since he'd only average about 12 minutes a night.

wildbill2u
05-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Teams who play run-and-gun, and their playmaking guards:

Phoenix: Steve Nash
Golden State: Baron Davis
Denver: Allen Iverson
UTAH : deron williams
-------------------------

Houston: Rafer Alston

Examples of mobile big men who can run the floor: Andris Biedrins, Nene, Marcus Camby, Amare Stoudemire, Boris Diaw

Examples of immobile big men who excel in the low post, but can't run the floor: Yao Ming

Les Alexander just doomed the current iteration of the Houston Rockets. They won't win 30 games next year; meanwhile JVG will make the playoffs in Sacramento, and everyone in Houston will call Alexander out for the idiot he is.
I added Deron Williams from Utah. Otherwise you're right on.