PDA

View Full Version : Game 2: Will we have a let down?

Mavs<Spurs
05-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I would say that it is probable that the Jazz will win game 2, but we will come back and win either one or both of games 3 and 4.

This is something like our fifth game in 9 nights. Something ridiculous like that. We had an emotionally draining series against Phoenix. We won game 1, a lot of game 1 giving us overconfidence.

I am afraid that we will lose energy and the Jazz will come out harder and compete better. It is a Sloan coached team and a physical team.
So, honestly, I would not be surprised to see the Jazz win game 2.

It is somewhat similar to what happened in Game 2 of 2006 against the Mavericks.

I still know that the Spurs will win the series and I believe that we will get at least one of the two in Utah, but I see this as the most likely path (unfortunately).

anyone else see this?

:bang

DarrinS
05-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I don't see Utah winning any games in SA.

98Ute1
05-21-2007, 09:42 AM
I would say that it is probable that the Jazz will win game 2, but we will come back and win either one or both of games 3 and 4.

This is something like our fifth game in 9 nights. Something ridiculous like that. We had an emotionally draining series against Phoenix. We won game 1, a lot of game 1 giving us overconfidence.

I am afraid that we will lose energy and the Jazz will come out harder and compete better. It is a Sloan coached team and a physical team.

It is somewhat similar to what happened in Game 2 of 2006 against the Mavericks.

I still know that the Spurs will win the series and I believe that we will get at least one of the two in Utah, but I see this as the most likely path (unfortunately).

anyone else see this?

I could see this. I was honestly suprised with how well you guys played in game 1 after just wrapping up the series with Phoenix. I think the Jazz will be better prepared in game two and the Spurs should be struggling to catch their breath. I know Utah will put up a much better fight than they did in game 1. We shall see...

Dingle Barry
Win Game 2, get throttled in #3 is how I see it.

Mavs<Spurs
I don't see Utah winning any games in SA.

I hope that you are right and that my fears are unfounded.

:dramaquee

Mavs<Spurs
05-21-2007, 09:46 AM
I could see this. I was honestly suprised with how well you guys played in game 1 after just wrapping up the series with Phoenix. I think the Jazz will be better prepared in game two and the Spurs should be struggling to catch their breath. I know Utah will put up a much better fight than they did in game 1. We shall see...

In the second half, I think that Utah did put up a great fight.

Jazz won the second half by 10 points.
We stepped off the gas, Sloan jumped on his team, and they were much more physically aggressive. That took away our easy shots (other than TD's easy shots which are easy because he is just a sick player). Deron was fantastic in the second half. Boozer was better.

And you are right. A Sloan coached team is going to be this aggressive in all of game 2. So, we are going to have to match that intensity better in the second game than we did in the second half of game 1. The second half of game 1 may give them some needed confidence.

Did it wake the Spurs up? I am not sure that it did.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-21-2007, 09:46 AM
I think the let down was what we saw in the second half of game 1. Thankfully the Spurs had played the first half like their lives depended on it. I don't expect any kind of let down in game 2, but I do expect the Jazz to show up for four quarters. So game 2 should be a real barn burner with both teams coming to play.

If the Spurs win game 2, then I would expect a slow start in game 3 that ultimately results in a loss.

Sec24Row7
05-21-2007, 09:54 AM
In the second half, I think that Utah did put up a great fight.

Jazz won the second half by 10 points.
We stepped off the gas, Sloan jumped on his team, and they were much more physically aggressive. That took away our easy shots (other than TD's easy shots which are easy because he is just a sick player). Deron was fantastic in the second half. Boozer was better.

And you are right. A Sloan coached team is going to be this aggressive in all of game 2. So, we are going to have to match that intensity better in the second game than we did in the second half of game 1. The second half of game 1 may give them some needed confidence.

Did it wake the Spurs up? I am not sure that it did.

Williams was EN FUEGO in the second half... if they have to count on that, they are going to have a hard time...

Bruno
05-21-2007, 09:57 AM
It will be Spurs' 6th game in 11 days. I can see Spurs lose game 2 too.

No travel between games and the fact that Sunday game was a soon game gives me some hope.

twincam
05-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Utah doesn't match up all that well against San Antonio. Phoenix did and lost the series...Utah is scrappy and do not match up all that well.

samikeyp
05-21-2007, 09:59 AM
If there is going to be a let down....game 2 is the perfect time for it. Hopefully the Spurs see this and act accordingly.

41times
05-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Let down? No.
The Spurs won't have a let down. This is the WCF's for christ sakes.

However, the Jazz are going to play better than they did in the first half of game 1 and if they play 2 halfs like the 2nd half they will win the game.

The 3 keys to this series in no particular order:

1. FG % for Spurs. If they continue to shoot 50% they will win the series
2. Rebounding. The Jazz are killing everyone on the boards and if the Spurs don't shoot well the Jazz will have a big advantage because of rebounding margin.
3. Deron Williams. If Parker can't slow him down a little he will make them pay dearly.

The big 3 for the Spurs are what they are: Terrific, but I don't think they are going to be much better overall than what they were in game one. So if the Spurs want to win they have to continue to shoot at 48-50% and try and slow down Williams and try and stay within 10 rebounds of the Jazz. If they do that they will win the series in 6. If they don't do those things the the Jazz can win the series.

The Truth #6
05-21-2007, 10:07 AM
The effects of the last series might finally catch up with us. Knowing the spurs this is the game they usually would lose. Maybe Horry will be the one to come up big.

naico
05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Exactly, Horry could be key in Game 2, if he's willing to play hard, spurs can feed off his energy

jmard5
05-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Spurs will win the first two at home.

Jimcs50
05-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Had Utah not come back in the 4th Q, then I think SA could have a let down and lose to Utah, but Pop will show the players whet Utah did to come back and counter that with a defensive stategy to limit Williams' effectiveness.

I think SA learned their lesson in game 4, that they need to play 48 mins against good teams in order to win.

I see SA winning game 2, then losing game 3.

austinfan
05-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the memory of the series last year against Dallas is still fresh in the Spurs' mind, in which they lost home court in Game 2. Especially given the fact that the Jazz have been so dominant at home all season long. So I think they're going to make an extra effort to win tomorrow night, will drop Game 3 and make a big push to steal #4.

Extra Stout
05-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Utah wins Game 2, then the teams split in SLC and come back to SA 2-2.

Mavs<Spurs
05-21-2007, 10:20 AM
If we win game 2 of this series, then that would be a great sign for the remainder of the playoffs.

Be unlikely that Utah could win 4 out of 5, but more importantly it would mean that the Spurs are focused enough to have a good chance of beating the Pistons.

Mavs<Spurs
05-21-2007, 10:22 AM

that's what I see.

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Spurs haven't handled prosperity well so far this year.
Tommorow is a fantastic opportunity to put the boot to Utah's neck.
It seems like we like to make things difficult for ourselves.
Hoping for a win, but won't be too surprised by a loss. Although I'll probably go into panic mode and miss sleep again if we lose game 2.
Please, get it done guys.

romain.star
05-21-2007, 10:35 AM

same here

Kori Ellis
05-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I don't think the Spurs will have a let down in game 2, considering they were very disappointed in their own performance in the second half of game 1. They think they were completely outplayed, so I'd imagine they'll come out with a sense of urgency and focus in game 2.

jazzin7
05-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Law of averages more than suggest that the Jazz are due to take a game in SA. Look, we split the season with you, its not like the Jazz are incapable of beating the Spurs, and the Jazz proved in the last two series they can play on the road and win. And for the doubters out there, that was a good game by DW, but he has been playing on fire all season. Memo, AK, and Harpring dissappeared though, Boozer had a pretty lame game for the most part -- don't expect to see that again in game 2. jazz steal it by 3 pts, Horry misses the 3-ball for the tie :p:

Spursfan101
05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Win Game 2, get throttled in #3 is how I see it.

that is exactly what's gonna happen

ElNono
05-21-2007, 11:44 AM
We are going to be watching tape too, and to be honest with you, regardless of their great 4th quarter, there's more questions than answers in Jerry Sloan's mind right now.
One thing obvious from yesterday game:
Neither Memo or Carlos can defend Duncan one on one. They would pile up with fouls quick (like Boozer yesterday) and that kills their offense. If you put Hoffa on Tim, then you have the problem that he can't score a bucket, and no Memo 3pt threat = less floor spacing for Carlos and DW to operate on offense.
The only reasonable option that I see is moving Fisher to defend Bowen, then using him to double team on Timmy. Obviously that leaves Bruce open for treys, but something has to give.

Borosai
05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
No.

Budkin
05-21-2007, 12:19 PM
I think Game 1 played out absolutely perfect for us. We had a huge lead and then let it slip away but still won the game. Now Pop doesn't have to get the guys prepared for a letdown because they saw what the Jazz were capable of and they will have what he refers to as "the appropriate fear." We'll be taking Game 2 as well. GO SPURS GO!!!

GrandeDavid
05-21-2007, 12:22 PM

anyone else see this?

Michael Finley was quoted as saying that the Spurs had learned from their Game 2 letdown against Dallas last playoffs, that they are guarding against that.

Bottom line, the Spurs won't lose for a lack of effort. They'll lose if they go ice cold, get killed on the boards and Utah shoots well.

I think the Spurs, all in all, will do a good job tomorrow.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
I think the Spurs will win all home games and take the series 4-1.

J.T.
05-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Spurs win 2, lose 3, win 4 and 5.

DDS4
05-21-2007, 12:56 PM
No letdown but game 2 will definitely be a lot closer.

I think it actually helped that the Spurs were dissatisfied with their play/intensity in the 2nd half.

I look for Fin, Barry, and Horry to play bigger roles in game 2.

greens
05-21-2007, 09:14 PM
I think all the Spurs know what they have to do for Game 2. I just saw a vid of Manu speaking to the media after the Game 1 win, and he talked about how the guys were all talking about what happened after the Sacramento series in the locker game after their win...and how they do not want to repeat the same mistake again. Also just read a new article this morning about how Tony also mentioned how the team was thinking back to last year, where they won Game 1 against Dallas, then let Game 2 slip away.

So it seems that it is fresh in their minds...

post game quotes:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_070520.html

Manu's take:
After winning Game 1 following a short turnaround and then losing the next game last year is there any concern? - “Yes, of course. A couple guys were talking about that. We knew last year after playing Sacramento that the first game was going to be really tough. Mentally we were great, we were there and we really hustled and played hard and didn’t make too many mistakes. I think today was like that. Then we thought, ok now we are rested and it’s going to be even easier and that was a huge mistake. Hopefully we learned from the mistakes last year and we’ll do even better.”

Also the Tony article:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AoiiYGD2x4EncZRCeuw3ZTSM0bYF?slug=ap-jazz-spurs&prov=ap&type=lgns

Besides containing Williams, the Spurs also are wary of a Game 2 letdown.

Part of Utah's late success Sunday was exhaustion catching up to San Antonio from a physical and emotional series against Phoenix that ended about 39 hours earlier. The Spurs had a similar situation last year, handling a quick turnaround to beat Dallas in a series opener only to get crushed at home the next game.

Parker said players were thinking back to that mistake in the locker room after Game 1. Although Popovich dismissed the idea as ancient history, he did give players an off day Monday; Horry and backup point guard Jacque Vaughn showed up at the practice gym anyway to shoot some jumpers, while Parker stopped by merely to get treatment for his right shoulder and knees.

"The game we really want is tomorrow so we make sure we give them no hope," Parker said. "Especially with a young team like that, it's always good."

L.I.T
05-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Nope, I don't think the Spurs will suffer any let-down.

'Sides Popovich has way to much he can harp on after Game 1.

efrem1
05-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Law of averages more than suggest that the Jazz are due to take a game in SA. Look, we split the season with you, its not like the Jazz are incapable of beating the Spurs, and the Jazz proved in the last two series they can play on the road and win. And for the doubters out there, that was a good game by DW, but he has been playing on fire all season. Memo, AK, and Harpring dissappeared though, Boozer had a pretty lame game for the most part -- don't expect to see that again in game 2. jazz steal it by 3 pts, Horry misses the 3-ball for the tie :p:

The 2-2 split was misleading in a few respects. First the first road loss was when Ginobili was out with a bad back. The second was on that below-average rodeo road trip. I give the Jazz props and they will fight hard. The Spurs got a wake up call in the second half and will adjust accordingly in game 2. A lower score of 93-85 is in the cards manana. :hat

zedman
05-21-2007, 10:57 PM
The only one having a "letdown" in game 2 will be my wife, and that is only because she is breast feeding our 6 month old son.

itzsoweezee
05-21-2007, 11:00 PM
all signs point to "yes." but hopefully the spurs will surprise all of us and actually play hard. but really, how many times has this team let their guard down when they start feeling comfortable? too many times to count.

T Park
05-21-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't think the Spurs will have a let down in game 2, considering they were very disappointed in their own performance in the second half of game 1. They think they were completely outplayed, so I'd imagine they'll come out with a sense of urgency and focus in game 2.

reading that makes me feel good about tommarow night.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-21-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't think the Spurs should be underestimated. The Suns was a hard series that had a few ups and downs, but now that they're one more series closer to their goal, I can't picture them not taking any of these remaining games seriously.

Cry Havoc
05-21-2007, 11:48 PM

Yeah. In a way, Deron's performance gave us a good headslap.

I hope.

koopa
05-22-2007, 01:59 AM
i haven't read everyones post in this thread so i don't know if this has been said but i think some make a big deal of the second half let down, it's more of a 4th quarter with the game in the bag don't give a fuck if they score thing, they only out scored us by 2 in the 3rd quarter, and most of the 4th quarter we still had that big lead, so i think ppl should stop worrying so much about a let down, yes it's possible, but don't let that "second half let down" fool you......

i say the spurs win game 2, and then get killed game 3, and then win 4, probably lose 5 and then wrap it up in 6.........

100%duncan
05-22-2007, 02:16 AM
some people say that jazz are gonna win game 2 and some don't but for me I think that the spurs are going to dominate the jazz in game 2.for me it's,GO SPURS GO!