PDA

View Full Version : Why is Duncan so good?

romsey31
05-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Duncan is 3 double doubles away from holding the record for most consecutive double doubles ever in nba playoff history.

How the hell is this guy so good?
Is it pops system? Is it the NBA has no good defenders?

He cant outjump anyone...

He cant outrun anyone....

He's the definition of hard work always pays off. The definition of learning the fundamentals of the game. The definition of the saying the game is more mental than pyhsical.

Duncan could've easily finish his career as the best big man ever, Duncan could score 50 AT WILL, but would prefer to finish his career as the best teammate ever, and by doing that can arguably finish his career as both.

I admire this guy, he comes to work everyday, never bitches, never puts down teammates, never goes to the media with dirty laundry, never complains PERIOD. Duncan is a one in a lifetime type of player..... every other great player you can think of had some kind of bad trait, career moment or something.... what's duncans?

I often wonder if he would be the same type of person under a different coach.. He and pop seems to mesh really well.

Anyway i'll stop babbling now & I hope you guys realise that you really need a more show boating type franchise player to give you guys more ratings etc, I mean who wants to watch this boring player for the rest of his career. We'll give you Our entire starting 5 for this guy :lol :toast

P.S Go Jazz :) ( its always more fun rooting for the underdog)

bigFUNDAMENTAL
05-21-2007, 11:53 AM
he plays smart basketball

Don Quixote
05-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Duncan is 3 double doubles away from holding the record for most consecutive double doubles ever in nba playoff history.

True, Duncan is an all-time great, but I've honestly never been a fan of judging a player's greatness based on the number of double-doubles he gets. Especially a big man -- anyone who is 7' and has any skill at all, and gets enough minutes, should have a minimum of 10 pts and 10 boards. Minimum.

To say that Timmy got a double-double in pts and boards is like saying Al Gore got a double-double yesterday for hype and feminine rage, or that I got a double-double in burps and farts.

michaelwcho
05-21-2007, 11:58 AM
A perfect NBA body, wide shoulders, long arms, outstanding strength, big hands, incredible hand-eye coordination, incredible body control and balance, excellent lateral and forward quickness, well-grounded fundamentals, genius-level b-ball IQ, confidence and an almost miraculous sense of perspective!

DarrinS
05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
I wish he had gotten one or two more blocks in game 6 against the Suns. I think he had 9 and 10 is the record (i believe).

duncan228
05-21-2007, 12:05 PM
A perfect NBA body, wide shoulders, long arms, outstanding strength, big hands, incredible hand-eye coordination, incredible body control and balance, excellent lateral and forward quickness, well-grounded fundamentals, genius-level b-ball IQ, confidence and an almost miraculous sense of perspective!

You got it.
My God, no wonder I love him!

GrandeDavid
05-21-2007, 12:07 PM
romsey, aside from his natural gifts, he definitely benefited having David Robinson alongside him early in his career, particularly his rookie season. Tim also has been blessed with good knees, good health. He has a team first disposition. Those factors have helped him become the player he is today.

SuperManu!!!
05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
He works on fundamentals. YOu can make really nice dunks but if you don't dominate the fundamentals of basket, you are only a showman

Behrooz24
05-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Magnets

YoMamaIsCallin
05-21-2007, 12:20 PM

He cant outrun anyone...

It's nice to be able to jump and run. But if you're 6'11" or 7' tall (whichever he is) it's actually not necessary for success in basketball.

hater
05-21-2007, 12:26 PM
he is not from planet earth.

jmard5
05-21-2007, 12:30 PM

Same as Larry Bird. He was never known for his dunks, his vertical leap or his strength.

Fundamentals and a very good basketball IQ.

whottt
05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Talent + work ethic + attitude + hunger to win = Duncan

The only one that is due to luck is talent...the rest is who Duncan is.

SRJ
05-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Why is Duncan so good?

First of all, some people talk about his lack of athleticism. Two things about that:

1) He's more athletic than people realize

If you've watched a lot of Spurs games, you'd see Duncan throw down on anyone - on any occasion. He's got hops he doesn't use much, largely because it is just like Tim Duncan to not go way above the rim on an uncontested shot. How many times has he wound up alone at the rim and just laid it in? No defender, no extra effort necessary. That's Duncan for you.

Duncan could not play the sort of defense he is known for without great strength, quickness of reaction, and lively legs. Great defenders, especially interior defenders, need those attributes.

2) Athleticism is overrated

Larry Bird wasn't very athletic. He had decent speed, good quickness, and he was well-conditioned. George Gervin was big, but not fast. Steve Nash is slower than many other NBA point guards. However, these players could and did (present tense for Nash) outplay most of their counterparts. How they did it was very simple: the player with the ball in his hand dictates things. When the player has the ball, he knows what he's going to do. The defender, though he may be bigger, faster, stronger, and quicker, doesn't know. A versatile player like Bird, Duncan, or Nash (Gervin was not as versatile on offense) can beat you from the perimeter, in the paint, or with the pass. Therefore, while a defender have a physical advantage on those player, that defender's burden is to figure out what it is they're going to do. Once that defender commits, the great player has a countermove ready to go. No post player has more countermoves than Duncan does.

My point is, an advantage in athleticism would have to be a big advantage to negate the advantages a skilled player brings.

Second of all, when you think about the Duncan skill-set, what doesn't he posess - aside from a weird difficulty at the free-throw line?

Duncan can reliably:

1) Score from the perimeter
2) Score in the paint
3) Pass the ball
4) Rebound
5) Handle the ball
6) Play man-to-man defense
7) Block shots

Yeah, I guess Duncan's not an outstanding steals man either. Oh well. :lol

Third, and most important, Duncan is poised. No one in the NBA keeps his head better than he does. When a game is going badly, he plays through it. When adversity emerges, he steadies the ship. When called out by opponents or the media, he ignores it. The Spurs are noted for playing the 48-minute game, and it's a reflection of Duncan's influence on the team. If he's not going to quit, neither are his teammates.

Duncan is unfailingly positive, supportive, and hardworking; he's perhaps the most coachable player in the league.

That's why.

Sportman
05-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Not too many answers let's go right to the point. He is humble, leader, simple and selfless, all that put together make a champion

duncan228
05-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Why is Duncan so good?

First of all, some people talk about his lack of athleticism. Two things about that:

If you've watched a lot of Spurs games, you'd see Duncan throw down on anyone - on any occasion. He's got hops he doesn't use much, largely because it is just like Tim Duncan to not go way above the rim on an uncontested shot. How many times has he wound up alone at the rim and just laid it in? No defender, no extra effort necessary. That's Duncan for you.

Duncan could not play the sort of defense he is known for without great strength, quickness of reaction, and lively legs. Great defenders, especially interior defenders, need those attributes.

Larry Bird wasn't very athletic. He had decent speed, good quickness, and he was well-conditioned. George Gervin was big, but not fast. Steve Nash is slower than many other NBA point guards. However, these players could and did (present tense for Nash) outplay most of their counterparts. How they did it was very simple: the player with the ball in his hand dictates things. When the player has the ball, he knows what he's going to do. The defender, though he may be bigger, faster, stronger, and quicker, doesn't know. A versatile player like Bird, Duncan, or Nash (Gervin was not as versatile on offense) can beat you from the perimeter, in the paint, or with the pass. Therefore, while a defender have a physical advantage on those player, that defender's burden is to figure out what it is they're going to do. Once that defender commits, the great player has a countermove ready to go. No post player has more countermoves than Duncan does.

My point is, an advantage in athleticism would have to be a big advantage to negate the advantages a skilled player brings.

Second of all, when you think about the Duncan skill-set, what doesn't he posess - aside from a weird difficulty at the free-throw line?

Duncan can reliably:

2) Score in the paint
3) Pass the ball
4) Rebound
5) Handle the ball
7) Block shots

Third, and most important, Duncan is poised. No one in the NBA keeps his head better than he does. When a game is going badly, he plays through it. When adversity emerges, he steadies the ship. When called out by opponents or the media, he ignores it. The Spurs are noted for playing the 48-minute game, and it's a reflection of Duncan's influence on the team. If he's not going to quit, neither are his teammates.

Duncan is unfailingly positive, supportive, and hardworking; he's perhaps the most coachable player in the league.

That's why.

Again, no wonder I love him! :spin

romsey31
05-21-2007, 01:24 PM
It's nice to be able to jump and run. But if you're 6'11" or 7' tall (whichever he is) it's actually not necessary for success in basketball.

Tell that to shawn bradley.

romsey31
05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Why is Duncan so good?

Duncan can reliably:

2) Score in the paint
3) Pass the ball
4) Rebound
5) Handle the ball
7) Block shots

That's why.

That definately has to be Duncans biggest asset, too much players lose their cool and cost their teams games nowadays.

BUMP
05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
despite my title :lol i think Duncan is the greatest player in the last ten years.

he's so smart and poised at all times on the court. the reason he's so good? he's fundemental, just like his nickname. when he catches the ball he doesnt dribble right away and waits for the double team. and he practices that bank shot all day every day. with his length he is able to get most shots off and he has earned the right to get a lot of foul calls. on defense, he doesnt block shots, just holds his hands up. you might be able to get a shot on him but he will wear you out throught the course of the game and stay out of foul trouble. i hate when people say that he is boring to watch. he isnt athletic but he's my favorite guy to watch because he looks like he is always controlling the game. Duncan is the man. this is coming from a Mavs fan too

Sec24Row7
05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Duncan sulks... ALWAYS has... it is why he is bad at the freethrow line...

Popovich kicks his ass out of it most of the time though...

If he had a coach who was intimidated by how great Tim is, Tim wouldn't have come up as big in many of the situations he has played through...

Now all of that being said... he is MUCH more his own master now...

I think that THIS team could recover from .4 mostly because of Duncan's improvement in that area... he really gained a lot from playing through that Finals vs Detroit...

Jimcs50
05-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Because he has a late April birthday.

:smokin

FireSternin2007
05-21-2007, 01:42 PM
I think Duncan is so good because he is a product of the spurs system. Look at John Stockton. He's the all-time assist leader because the Jazz have been playing the two-man pick-and-roll game for years. Duncan would not be what he is today if he were a Knick, Celtic, Heat, or any Eastern team for that matter. SA's system plays to his strengths, just like Utah's system played to Stockton and Malone's strengths.

MadDog73
05-21-2007, 01:49 PM
I think Duncan is so good because he is a product of the spurs system. Look at John Stockton. He's the all-time assist leader because the Jazz have been playing the two-man pick-and-roll game for years. Duncan would not be what he is today if he were a Knick, Celtic, Heat, or any Eastern team for that matter. SA's system plays to his strengths, just like Utah's system played to Stockton and Malone's strengths.

Two problems with that analogy:

1. The "Spurs system" never won anything without Duncan.

2. The Jazz never won anything with Malone and Stockton.

So, obviously, Tim makes the difference. He's essentially won Championships with two different teams (the 1999 Spurs, and the 2005 Spurs were totally different teams. Only Tim and Pop were the constants).

Tim Duncan is the most dominant player currently in the NBA.

We'll never know if he'd have won a Championship with another team, and hopefully, we'll never find out!

FireSternin2007
05-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Two problems with that analogy:

1. The "Spurs system" never won anything without Duncan.

2. The Jazz never won anything with Malone and Stockton.

So, obviously, Tim makes the difference. He's essentially won Championships with two different teams (the 1999 Spurs, and the 2005 Spurs were totally different teams. Only Tim and Pop were the constants).

Tim Duncan is the most dominant player currently in the NBA.

We'll never know if he'd have won a Championship with another team, and hopefully, we'll never find out!

The only problem with your rebuttle is that it does not address the fact that the system is still: team basketball. Get it to the low post first. Whether or not SA and Utah won with or without their great players does not change the fact that these great players still entered into a system designed to turn them into hall-of-famers.

michaelwcho
05-21-2007, 02:01 PM
The only problem with your rebuttle is that it does not address the fact that the system is still: team basketball. Get it to the low post first. Whether or not SA and Utah won with or without their great players does not change the fact that these great players still entered into a system designed to turn them into hall-of-famers.

This is a strange argument, kind of like downgrading tall players because an elevated basket gives them an unfair advantage. Tim is a fine athlete whose body was built for basketball.

The system of every team in the league attempts to turn its best players into hall-of-famers. The difference with the Jazz and the Spurs is the superiority of their players and the level of committment of their coaches.

Kobe wouldn't be a hall of famer if he weren't allow to freelance and shoot 40 times a game...

Summers
05-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Magnets

:lol I assume you're talking about the breast-aids.

Sec24Row7
05-21-2007, 02:04 PM
This is a strange argument, kind of like downgrading tall players because an elevated basket gives them an unfair advantage. Tim is a fine athlete whose body was built for basketball.

The system of every team in the league attempts to turn its best players into hall-of-famers. The difference with the Jazz and the Spurs is the superiority of their players and the level of committment of their coaches.

Kobe wouldn't be a hall of famer if he weren't allow to freelance and shoot 40 times a game...

He was a hall of Famer before he started doing that... so that argument is kind of stupid...

michaelwcho
05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah, that wasn't well-worded. Kobe would be a hall-of-famer no matter what system he played in, and Dell Harris did a poor job with him early on. But he's only going to score 81 points a game if he pulls every chance he gets. I just don't get how someone could downgrade TD for playing in a system, when IMO getting a superstar to ignore his ego and do so is the most difficult and elevated aspect of the game.

lefty
05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Tim Duncan led the Spurs with 27 points in their series-opening win over Utah. Duncan has averaged 26.5 points per game in the opening games of the 26 playoff series in which he has played, and only four players in NBA history have higher scoring averages in playoff series openers than has Duncan (min.: 15 series): Michael Jordan (34.0), Jerry West (27.7), Shaquille O'Neal (27.6) and George Mikan (26.6)

TampaDude
05-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Why is Tim Duncan so good? For the same reason the Spurs are so good: FUN-DA-MEN-TALS. :toast

LilMissSPURfect
05-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Why is Duncan so good? because of FANS like us!

AnkleBreaker21
05-21-2007, 03:22 PM
he's really a robot, programed to kick ass. but miss freethrows so he looks normal

jacobdrj
05-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Because he didn't learn basketball at a young age. He learned it already as an adult, from professionals, who didn't let him learn bad habits early. Hence, the fundamentals.

duncan228
05-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Because he didn't learn basketball at a young age. He learned it already as an adult, from professionals, who didn't let him learn bad habits early. Hence, the fundamentals.

He was 14, not quite an adult. And he was a swimmer first, it's been said he could have been an Olympic swimmer had he stayed with it.
He was an athlete, already well disciplined, before he picked up a basketball.

JAZZinSIX
05-21-2007, 03:34 PM
What I like most about Duncan in the games I've seen over the years is the fact that he always takes what the defense gives him and exploits it. If they're overcompensating to defend him, he's happy to give up easy buckets to his teammates and let them get the glory. On the flip side, if the defense calls for him to be aggressive and he puts up 30/15, he doesn't care so long as they won the game.

Superstars just don't do this. Kobe is ALWAYS going to hoist 30 shots no matter what the opposing team does. Yet, with Duncan, you get the sense he wouldn't give a shit if he went 12/8 for an entire series so long as it was the best way to help the team win. Fans here would know better than me, but when's the last time TD forced his own offense out of a sense that he needed to pad the statsheet?

duncan228
05-21-2007, 03:39 PM
...when's the last time TD forced his own offense out of a sense that he needed to pad the statsheet?

Never.

Sec24Row7
05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Why is Tim Duncan so good? For the same reason the Spurs are so good: FUN-DA-MEN-TALS. :toast

ESPN has petitioned the league to just say the Spurs are DA-MEN-TAL

Solid D
05-21-2007, 03:51 PM
He's 6'11" with long arms, great hands, quck feet and reaction-time, great court vision, extremely intellegent, an excellent passer, he has a strong core and base for posting-up, a variety of moves and footwork used based on defender positioning, great anticipation and shotblocking ability, one of the best bank shots ever displayed in the NBA, disciplined, competes at a high level, and a LEADER.

duncan228
05-21-2007, 03:54 PM
It seems the only thing left out is that he's funny too!
What's not to love?

LoVeNSpuRs
05-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Because he's Tim Duncan. :fro

timvp
05-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Because the refs give him all the calls.

timvp
05-21-2007, 04:02 PM
He's 6'11" with long arms, great hands, quck feet and reaction-time, great court vision, extremely intellegent, an excellent passer, he has a strong core and base for posting-up, a variety of moves and footwork used based on defender positioning, great anticipation and shotblocking ability, one of the best bank shots ever displayed in the NBA, disciplined, competes at a high level, and a LEADER.

Or that :smokin

conversekid
05-21-2007, 04:05 PM

How the hell is this guy so good?

He's the definition of hard work always pays off. The definition of learning the fundamentals of the game. The definition of the saying the game is more mental than pyhsical.

Duncan could've easily finish his career as the best big man ever, Duncan could score 50 AT WILL, but would prefer to finish his career as the best teammate ever, and by doing that can arguably finish his career as both.

I admire this guy, he comes to work everyday, never bitches, never puts down teammates, never goes to the media with dirty laundry, never complains PERIOD. Duncan is a one in a lifetime type of player..... every other great player you can think of had some kind of bad trait, career moment or something.... what's duncans?

I often wonder if he would be the same type of person under a different coach.. He and pop seems to mesh really well.

Anyway i'll stop babbling now & I hope you guys realise that you really need a more show boating type franchise player to give you guys more ratings etc, I mean who wants to watch this boring player for the rest of his career. We'll give you Our entire starting 5 for this guy :lol :toast

P.S Go Jazz :) ( its always more fun rooting for the underdog)

We've been spoiled and we're lucky to have him. It's good to see fans of other teams appreciate what this guy does. Oh the day when he retires :cry

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Duncan is a great athlete people overlook that because he is not a big jumper but he runs the floor as well as any big man that has ever played the game and he has some of the best hands of any big man of all time. He is the most fundamentally solid player maybe the game has ever known, with unrivaled intelligence and an incredible will to win.

thousandth
05-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Why is Duncan so good?

Duncan can reliably:

2) Score in the paint
3) Pass the ball
4) Rebound
5) Handle the ball
7) Block shots

That's why.

Duncan> Larry Bird whit George Gervin

That´s why. :downspin: Tim is GREAT!

LavaLamp
05-21-2007, 04:26 PM

Can you please explain further what you mean when you say fundamentals?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 04:27 PM
He means dirty cheap shots and cheating.

LavaLamp
05-21-2007, 04:31 PM
he's really a robot, programed to kick ass. but miss freethrows so he looks normal

Help me understand why free throws are difficult for some pro b-ball players, not just TD. It is something that has few outside variables, something that the player can practice, and execute in a game without interference exactly as he had practiced it. Shouldn't all players be shooting 75% to 80% free throws?

smeagol
05-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Because of his bulgy eyes

tmtcsc
05-21-2007, 05:11 PM

I didn't say it (fundamentals) but I agree with it.

When you watch Tim play, watch how he rebounds the ball. He never brings the ball down under his head. He keeps it high and away from a defenders hands.

You would be surprised at how many people don't do that. Also, he can shoot with his left and right hand. I'm not talking about jump shots, I am referring to layups and hook shots etc.

His moves in the post (specifically his footwork) are usually by the book. He rarely gets caught out of control.

If he made his freethrows he could even be better.

TampaDude
05-21-2007, 05:28 PM

Body Positioning...Passing...Defense...Ball Control...Unselfishness...Clock Management...Team Play. Watch the Spurs play, really WATCH them, and you'll understand. The Spurs aren't perfect (no team is), but they execute the fundamentals better than any other team in the NBA. The Gators did the same things and it got them back-to-back NCAA titles. Flashy plays are entertaining, but fundamentals win championships. :toast

~~Ice Man 2000~~
05-21-2007, 05:38 PM
http://slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/nbapreview4.jpg

romsey31
05-21-2007, 06:07 PM
http://slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/nbapreview4.jpg

How good would KG be if he were to switch places with Duncan, play along side Robinson, and have a great coach like Pop?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 06:08 PM
How good would Minnesota have been with a Duncan/Marbury combination?

romsey31
05-21-2007, 06:17 PM
How good would Minnesota have been with a Duncan/Marbury combination?

Marbury is great enough to make any great player suck.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Eh, Duncan instead of KG this season and the Wolves make the playoffs.

SequSpur
05-21-2007, 06:25 PM
what a good take except for the go jazz reference.. what a dick.

michaelwcho
05-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Help me understand why free throws are difficult for some pro b-ball players, not just TD. It is something that has few outside variables, something that the player can practice, and execute in a game without interference exactly as he had practiced it. Shouldn't all players be shooting 75% to 80% free throws?
Wilt Chamberlain couldn't hit free throws either, although supposedly he hit them just fine in practice. And I read that Phil Jackson asked Pippen and Grant to go to a psychologist to help them with their freebies, but they just blew it off. I wonder if Timmie has seen one. I'm an Eagles fan, and it seems my boy DMac could use a little guidance there too.

romsey31
05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
what a good take except for the go jazz reference.. what a dick.

Yea... really bothers you that everyone in the world isnt a Spurs fan right? Let face it, if you're not a Spurs fan its alot easier rooting for the underdog, just like how i was rooting for the warriors against the Mavs... upsets are always more fun.

midgetonadonkey
05-21-2007, 06:35 PM
I liked Duncan's fro.

midgetonadonkey
05-21-2007, 06:36 PM
I liked Duncan's fro.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/basketball/nba/11/01/bc.bkn.nuggets.spurs.ap/tx_1101_duncan2_ap.jpg

ballhog
05-21-2007, 07:10 PM
He is so good because of his ability to post-op (better than anyone else) and face up (drive or bank shot). He's a great rebounder and defender on the other end=complete player. If he could only shoot 3's.

duncan228
05-21-2007, 07:18 PM
If he could only shoot 3's.

He made one this season!

Duncan is so good at everything he does, with the free throw exception. If he shot 80% at the line he'd be perfect. And there's no such thing.

I'll take him as he is, lousy free throw shooting and all.

BigBeezie
05-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Tim is as fundamentally sound as you can get for a 7-foot wonder. The guy impresses me just about everytime he plays. We all love the excitement of a Manu 3-pointers or finger roll...but Tim makes everything happen on the court. The guy is simply the best power forward out there.

Martin R
05-21-2007, 08:09 PM
don't tell anybody about this but he is from Mars.

sanman53
05-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Two reasons:

1. Playing alongside David Robinson
2. Patience from the Spurs organization

mattyc
05-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Work ethic.

LakerLanny
05-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Why is he so good?

Great footwork, excellent basketball body (long arms and very very long in general), steady mindset, work ethic, basketball smarts....it is a long list.

The guy is unreal, his career is really going down as one of the all time best.

Marcus Bryant
05-21-2007, 10:12 PM
TD won a title without DRob so scratch that excuse. I don't believe anyone understands how truly great of a player is Duncan. There will come a time, after he has left the game, when a lot of people will get it. Duncan has done this for 10 years and will do it for 5 more. Think about it. He is the greatest power forward of all time. Better than Malone, Barkley, McHale, SJones, etc...

Duncan is so good because he doesn't believe he's as good as he is.

exstatic
05-21-2007, 10:19 PM
he is not from planet earth.
:lmao Duke fans used to call him Spock.

exstatic
05-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Oh, and I believe the record he is approaching isn't consecutive playoff double doubles, it's consecutive playoff 20/10s.

Fernando TD21
05-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Duncan isn't the fastest, neither the strongest. He is not so athletic and he can barely jump. But he doesn't need all those things to dominate. Duncan has a perfect combination of talent, technique, knowledge of the game and character.
He entered the league averaging 21/11. Today, ten years later, he has an average of 20/10 while playing 5 minutes less per game.
Boring? maybe to some people. But no one can disagree that he ranks among the best players of all-time.

NBA regular season statistics

Correct as of 19 April 2007

Season Team GP MPG SPG BPG RPG APG PPG
1997-98 San Antonio 82 39.1 0.7 2.5 11.9 2.7 21.1
1998-99 San Antonio 50 39.3 0.9 2.5 11.4 2.4 21.7
1999-00 San Antonio 74 38.9 0.9 2.2 12.4 3.2 23.2
2000-01 San Antonio 82 38.7 0.8 2.3 12.2 3.0 22.2
2001-02 San Antonio 82 40.6 0.7 2.5 12.7 3.7 25.5
2002-03 San Antonio 81 39.3 0.7 2.9 12.9 3.9 23.3
2003-04 San Antonio 69 36.6 0.9 2.7 12.4 3.1 22.3
2004-05 San Antonio 66 33.4 0.7 2.6 11.1 2.7 20.3
2005-06 San Antonio 80 34.8 0.9 2.0 11.0 3.2 18.6
2006-07 San Antonio 80 34.1 0.8 2.4 10.6 3.4 20.0

Duncan states the main inspiration for his life is his late mother Ione. Among others, she let his sisters and him learn the nursery rhyme "Good, Better, Best. Never let it rest / Until your Good is Better, and your Better is your Best.", which he adopted as his personal motto. Before his mother Ione succumbed to breast cancer, Duncan promised her he would complete his university degree before playing basketball professionally. On and off the court, he states that the three most important values are dedication, teamwork and camaraderie.

Duncan is nicknamed "Merlin," due to his love of the fantasy role playing game, Dungeons & Dragons, and renaissance fairs. An avid video game player, he also acknowledges a certain joy of playing "himself" on basketball video games. Finally, Duncan states if he had the chance, he would challenge NBA legends Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to a one-on-one game.

Honors

In his career, the two-time MVP (2002, 2003), three-time NBA champion (1999, 2003, 2005) and three-time NBA Finals MVP (1999, 2003, 2005) Duncan has collected a number of individual and team honours. As a college player, he was named ACC Male Athlete of the Year, won the John R. Wooden Award and was named Naismith College Player of the Year (all 1997).[7] In his debut year in the NBA (1998), he was voted Rookie of the Year and elected into the All-NBA Rookie Team, made the first of nine NBA All-Star Teams – among them eight First Team nominations – ten All-NBA Teams – among them nine First Team nominations – and ten All-Defensive Teams, among them seven First Team nominations.[3] With these impressive performances, Duncan is one of only four players to receive All-NBA First Team honors in each of his first eight seasons (1998-2005), along with Hall of Famers Bob Pettit (10 seasons), Larry Bird (9 seasons), and Oscar Robertson (9 seasons), and is notably the only player in NBA history to receive All-NBA and All-Defensive honors in his first nine seasons (1998-2006).[29] Duncan is one of only six NBA players to ever won ROY and all three MVP awards. The other five players are Wilt Chamberlain, Willis Reed, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, and Shaquille O'Neal.

Duncan was also named by the Association for Professional Basketball Research as one of "100 Greatest Professional Basketball Players of The 20th Century", being the youngest player on that list.[30] In the 2001-02 season, he won the IBM Player Award[31] and The Sporting News MVP Award[32], becoming the third player to ever win NBA MVP, IBM Player Award, and TSN Player Awards in the same season. In 2003, Duncan was ranked 55th by Slam Magazine in their list of the "Top 75 NBA players of All Time". On February 18, 2006, he was named one of the Next 10 Greatest Players on the tenth anniversary of the release of the NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team by the TNT broadcasting crew. Duncan received most points among all nominees.

* He and wife, Amy, were married in the summer of 2001
* The couple had their first child in the summer of 2005
* Created the Tim Duncan Foundation in November of 2001
* Amy serves as the executive vice president of the organization which is setup to serve “the areas of health awareness and research, education and youth sports and recreation” in San Antonio, Winston-Salem and the U.S. Virgin Islands
* The Foundation holds two major fundraisers each year: the annual Tim Duncan Bowling for Dollar$ Charity Bowl-A-Thon and the annual Slam Duncan Charity Golf Classic (since its creation the Foundation has raised approximately $750,000)
* Through the Tim Duncan Character Champions program donates 50 tickets to each game to students who demonstrate integrity, respect, dependability, fairness, caring or civic responsibility
* Member of the NBA All-Star Reading Team
* The winner of the 2001 Home Team Community Service Award given by the Fannie Mae Foundation and the NBA
* Named one of the “Good Guys” in sports by The Sporting News in both 2001 and 2002
* Also supports the Children's Bereavement Center, the Children's Center of San Antonio and the Cancer Therapy and Research Center
* Received his degree in psychology from Wake Forest
* Didn't play organized basketball until ninth grade
* Concentrated on swimming as a youngster - at one point was a top U.S. competitor in his age group in the 400 freestyle - before his local pool was destroyed by Hurricane Hugo in 1989
* Known for wearing his practice shorts backwards, a trend he started while in college
* Has two sisters, Cheryl and Tricia
* Tricia was a member of the Virgin Islands swim team in the 1988 Olympics
* Has a large knife collection which includes a three-foot samurai sword
* Admits to being afraid of heights and sharks
* Favorite movie is The Crow
* A video game junkie
Tim Duncan is unique. :clap :toast

Solid D
05-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Tim Duncan is so good....

Tim Duncan is so good, Seattle is going to lose it's team and rename Puget Sound... "Fundamentally Sound".

Tim Duncan is so good, Boston's sportwriters have a permanent complex and continually write articles about what might have been.

Tim Duncan is so good, Joey Crawford was jealous and tried to get back at him.

Solid D
05-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Tim Duncan is so good, Jack Bauer wears Tim Duncan pajamas.

spurs1990
05-22-2007, 01:12 AM
Duncan is so good, he'll most likely be enshrined in Canton when he retires. He's a HOF!

raspsa
05-22-2007, 05:57 AM

Enough about Oberto already... :lol :lol

L.I.T
05-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Tim Duncan is so good...

Tim Duncan is so good, Manu asks him what time it is.

Tim Duncan is so good, Malone's foot still hurts when it's cold.

Tim Duncan is so good, Waldo asks him where to hide.

Tim Duncan is so good, Chuck Norris took acting lessons from him.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Duncan is nicknamed "Merlin," due to his love of the fantasy role playing game, Dungeons & Dragons, and renaissance fairs.

Wow. Tim Duncan is awesome! (yeah, I'm a RPG geek, what can I say?)

romsey31
05-22-2007, 12:50 PM
how do we know what the record is for double doubles?
sports center announced it.