PDA

View Full Version : Boring Spurs

DR WU
05-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Despite being a completely different team from 2005, we are still being labled "boring" by some.

I don't get it, Bruce is the best defender in the league (covers them all) top to bottom. We showcase the fastest pointguard, who's also the best there is in the paint. Ginobilli is clearly the premier sixthman and actually out-slashes Dewayne Wade much of the time. Fin is a good as there is coming off a screen and on any given night our longball is deadlier than most. Add all that up and throw in the best power forward -- of all time and what you get is the league's best. Is that boring? I just don't get it?

CubanMustGo
05-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Golly, I am so glad you started a thread on this, because NOBODY has done it yet. :rolleyes

GrandeDavid
05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Despite being a completely different team from 2005, we are still being labled "boring" by some.

I don't get it, Bruce is the best defender in the league (covers them all) top to bottom. We showcase the fastest pointguard, who's also the best there is in the paint. Ginobilli is clearly the premier sixthman and actually out-slashes Dewayne Wade much of the time. Fin is a good as there is coming off a screen and on any given night our longball is deadlier than most. Add all that up and throw in the best power forward -- of all time and what you get is the league's best. Is that boring? I just don't get it?

I guess its like penis envy.

SequSpur
05-21-2007, 06:24 PM
is the real Dr. Wu?

duncan228
05-21-2007, 06:25 PM
is the real Dr. Wu?

Are you with me Dr. Wu? :lol

Extra Stout
05-21-2007, 07:46 PM

Well, given that people from San Antonio cannot be bothered to go, what do you expect?

Amuseddaysleeper
05-21-2007, 07:46 PM
dr. wu, i asked you this before, but did you name yourself after the Minutemen song?

DR WU
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
No, I have a PhD in Steely Dan.

chorizo overdose
05-21-2007, 07:52 PM
someone on these forums made a nice analogy of this when refering to spurs basketball to music....

spurs basketball is like Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

this music is "boring" to kids who listen to Pussy Cat Dolls and Justin Timberlake.

the media likes the shit that sells. just like the mainstream music media does.

but most of the time the shit that sells... is BAD.

the shit that sells in basketball is the stuff that easily accessible for the untrained basketball fan. the fan who doesn't understand what good basketball is about.

call me pompous or pios.. i dont give a fuck. its the damn truth.

Mr. Body
05-21-2007, 07:52 PM
dr. wu, i asked you this before, but did you name yourself after the Minutemen song?

Well, I for one love the Minutemen.

WalterBenitez
05-21-2007, 07:57 PM

2005 = Boring
2007 = Boring and Dirty

Clearly we are getting more attention this year.

duncan228
05-21-2007, 08:27 PM

Are you really just a shadow of the man that I once knew?
Are you crazy? Are you high?

Or just an ordinary guy?

smeagol
05-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Watching paint dry

duncan228
05-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Are you with me doctor?
Can you hear me doctor?

smrattler
05-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Anyone else find the Mavs boring this year? I would just watch the box score, never even saw a game (except the Spurs and Suns ones) and they would still bore me. I guess people get bored by the same results?

chorizo overdose
05-21-2007, 09:23 PM
yes, mavs were boring. typical nba set up team.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-21-2007, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't care about the boring label this year, if the ECF wasn't so mind-numbingly painful to watch. Even with super-star Lebron, it's the most boring fucking game 1, of a Conference Final I've ever experienced, as of right now.

Russ
05-21-2007, 09:47 PM
San Antonio is simply too small a city (in the eyes of most) to have a team this good.

That is the problem.

Period. :)

phyzik
05-21-2007, 10:01 PM
The funny thing was, earlier today Jason and Rob Thompson had that jackass Dan Patrick answering questions... I was itching to ask him some shit, I e-mailed them and tried calling for like 30 minutes straight.... I finally get through to talk, the phone screener asks me what I want to talk about I specifically said "I want to talk about how fans didnt show up and also about some of the comments Dan Patrick made."

Now, I wasnt going to bash the guy, I actually like his show and alot of his takes, but I saw someone on here brought up a good point about how ESPN keeps calling the Spurs boring and then wonders why their ratings are so low.... I was going to ask "What do you think would happen if NBC said the next episode of Heroes or whatever big show they have at the time was going to be a boring next episode? do you think more or less people would watch."

.... they only let me say my piece about why Spurs fans didnt show up then put me on mute and hung up while they talked about people throwing BBQ's and shit after I mentioned people just might have missed because of church.

No one else brought up church or anything like that, but yet the very next caller says the exact same shit everyone else had been spewing for the past 2 hours (not exagerating) about "no one knew there where tickets still available" and they give her some damn tickets... wtf??? Maybe its because I mentioned we went to the game already, who knows.

sheriee84
05-21-2007, 10:13 PM
The media seems to gravitate towards high scoring fast paced teams. Or to teams who have "bad boy" images. The Spurs don't make headlines about being drunk in public, or getting caught with drugs in thier cars. They are solid definsive players, who simply behave themselves. I contend that Robert Horry hip checked Nash (who totally flopped on that foul, btw) because he was just sick of the Suns' whining, and figured he'd give them something to complain about. So that is my view on why the media still considers the Spurs "boring"

misterx91578
05-22-2007, 12:04 AM
why do you watch them then?

LavaLamp
05-22-2007, 12:22 AM
I like to watch the Spurs' defensive rotations. I also enjoy watching their offensive movement. The Spurs are not a boring team.

When TP takes off, he makes his center of gravity really low, accelerating and cornering like a sports car.

TD makes bank shots look easy. He must be a whiz at billiards too. It's amazing how many tough shots he makes, and how he anticipates and blocks shots without fouling.

There is so much more to watch than just this...

da_suns_fan__
05-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Worst-case scenario
NBA western conference finals drag down an exciting start to playoffs
Nathan Hellman
Issue date: 5/22/07 Section: Sports
PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1
Tall ball: Carlos Boozer and the Jazz lack intensity and excitement compared to other Western conference teams.
[Click to enlarge]

Tim Duncan's predictable game and static pesonality is making for a boring series against Utah.
[Click to enlarge]

Game one of the Spurs-Jazz series was excessively yawn-inducing. And I have a feeling that the yawns will keep coming, because this uninspiring match-up is the worst-case scenario for an NBA playoffs described as exhilarating and rousing after the first two rounds.

I will be the first to admit this year's version of the playoffs has me absolutely enthralled. And, why not, the first two rounds have been chocked full of every facet a true basketball enthusiast loves. Competitiveness has been top-notch and there has been more drama than a fiery episode of Jerry Springer. This mishmash of dramatic appeal and sensational play has propelled the NBA's postseason back to a must-see level.

But, the Western Conference Finals are jeopardizing the strides made thus far. The two squads alive in the powerful West are the conference's dullest in every way. From the head coaches to the cities these teams call home, absolute boredom is the common denominator.

Take "superstar" Tim Duncan, his trademark move is a fall-away bank shot. Now, this doesn't exactly match the flare of Michael Jordan's signature tongue-wagging slam or a tantalizing Kobe Bryant reverse dunk.

Like his boring banker, the rest of Duncan's game is amazingly boring. He is a talented post player, but his movements are sluggish and he rarely flushes the ball for a crowd-pleasing dunk. To top it off, the Spurs' big man has a mundane personality, displaying as much emotion as an Amish in a buggy.

Excitement in the NBA is measured with two separate yardsticks--a flashy game or snappy personality. This is how the likes of Ervin "Magic" Johnson and Dennis "The Worm" Rodman are both largely considered stars. Duncan has neither.

Duncan is supposed to be the biggest star in this series, though his stardom only reaches as far as the box score. Plus, Duncan's supporting cast is relatively star-free, and Utah's most prominent celebrity is not Carlos Boozer or Deron Williams--it's still the elbow-throwing Karl Malone. ESPN analyst Michael Wilbon said it best when he declared Tony Parker's gorgeous fiancé Eva Longoria as the most noteworthy star in this series. Like usual, Wilbon is right on target.

Aside from the lack of star players, the Spurs-Jazz match-up showcases some of the blandest basketball known to man. Think about what Utah's head coach Jerry Sloan does for a good time, and that should give you a good indication of how Plain Jane these two teams play. Basketball purists may appreciate this fundamental play predicated on solid defense and an emphasis on half-court offense, but younger fans desire an up-tempo, chaotic style of the Suns and Warriors.

I'm sick of hearing how the Spurs' championship status compensates for their boring play. Seriously, that is about as lame as Duncan's tendency to bulge his eyes when a call isn't to his liking. As fans, we couldn't care less whether a player has a ring. We purchase tickets and tune in to be entertained.

During the regular season, the Spurs were 20th in road attendance, behind the likes of Charlotte and Orlando. Why does a team with three championships in the last decade have trouble drawing fans? Simple: San Antonio is not exciting, entertaining or compelling; it's just boring. This proves fans don't place much stock in rings and titles. We prefer excitement, athleticism and un-boring basketball!

The NBA playoffs took a turn for the worse as the Warriors and Suns were eliminated last week. Steve Nash's beautiful passes and Baron Davis' tough, uncouth posse were raising eyebrows and carrying these playoffs, making them the best in over a decade. But, with the two most electrifying teams now fishing, we are now left with a couple "fundamentally sound" squads as fun to watch as attending an antique lamp show.

Tune into this series at your own risk. Just remember, bouts of drowsiness and inadvertent sleeping are not uncommon.

Here come the "small market" excuses.

http://media.www.dailyvanguard.com/media/storage/paper941/news/2007/05/22/Sports/WorstCase.Scenario-2906213.shtml

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
WCF > ECF.

'Nuff said.

nkdlunch
05-22-2007, 09:41 AM
at this point Spurs are the less boring of the remaining 4 teams.

most fun teams to watch:
1. Spurs
2. Utah
3. Detroit
4. Cavs

SAtoDallas
05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Here come the "small market" excuses.

http://media.www.dailyvanguard.com/media/storage/paper941/news/2007/05/22/Sports/WorstCase.Scenario-2906213.shtml

Yeah and the ECF with the leagues biggest superstar LBJ is just tremendous to watch.

da_suns_fan__
05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
This is the third year in which I've heard "Yeah..the Spurs were boring BEFORE, but now NOW!"

i.e.

2003 - "The Spurs were boring in 99, but not now!!"
2005 - "The Spurs were boring in 03, but now now!!!"
2007 (via Dr. Wu) - "The Spurs wer boring in 05, but now now!!!"

2007 may actually mark the lowpoint....so boring they can't even sell out their own building.

41times
05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
at this point Spurs are the less boring of the remaining 4 teams.

most fun teams to watch:
1. Spurs
2. Utah
3. Detroit
4. Cavs

I almost wanted to poke my eyes out last night watching the ECF's game.

Compared to that, the Spurs vs. Jazz is like a night in Vegas!

The media is just mad that PHX is out!

Nbadan
05-22-2007, 10:05 AM
The NBA made it's bed when it decided to put most of the playoffs on cable TV. Most 'fans' (i.e. lower to middle class kids) can't afford to go the games and the pool of rich kids watching the NBA is just not supporting teams like they used to.

TampaDude
05-22-2007, 10:28 AM

So, even though it's only 90 minutes from New York to Paris, you're never going back to your old school, right? :lol

duncan228
05-22-2007, 10:44 AM
So, even though it's only 90 minutes from New York to Paris, you're never going back to your old school, right? :lol

Not until California tumbles into the sea! :lol

(By the way, I went to Bard college which is where Becker and Fagen met and formed the band. It's also the school they're talking about.)

TampaDude
05-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Not until California tumbles into the sea! :lol

(By the way, I went to Bard college which is where Becker and Fagen met and formed the band. It's also the school they're talking about.)

:toast :smokin