PDA

View Full Version : chuck jumps ship

td4mvp3
05-21-2007, 08:36 PM
picks utah to upset the spurs during the cavs game. and by chuck i mean charles barkley.

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 08:36 PM
:rolleyes

ON TNT just said it...

Leetonidas
05-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Charles is always wrong. :lol He probably picked the Jazz knowing that.

Slydragon
LOL, I saw that and thought to myself "I wonder how long till this is on Spurs Talk" that was fast.

td4mvp3
says spurs have no answer for williams, duncan and boozer will even out, and ... that was about it.

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 08:38 PM
aww i think you beat me to it.

duncan228
LOL, I saw that and thought to myself "I wonder how long till this is on Spurs Talk" that was fast.

And there's 2 threads on it!

td4mvp3
i've always wanted to be first with a post that others would talk about. i have no real life.

Kobulingam
05-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Dude has gone mad. He's basing it on the fact that Jazz outplayed Spurs in second half. His reasoning is that Jazz didn't play well in first half because they were getting used to the whole situation, so the second half must be a better indicator.

Hey Charles, STFU.

Idiot.

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Too me its more like the Spurs got bored in the second half.

jazzman12
05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Wow, guy doesn't pick you and you bring down the wrath? Tough crowd.

jazzman12
05-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Charles is always wrong. :lol He probably picked the Jazz knowing that.

Well, he's been picking the Jazz for most of the postseason, so technically he isn't "always" wrong.

PM5K
05-21-2007, 08:42 PM
They didn't seem to have an answer for Tony either...

td4mvp3
not sure how to feel about it. i always liked barkley going with the spurs because he did it in 03-04. but this year, he did go on dallas radio and proclaim the mavs would win in 7.

timvp
To win Game 2 or the series?

Kobulingam
05-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Ohh man. If game 2 were on Wednesday, Spurs would rape Jazz by 25. Too bad it's only going to be about a 10 point win. That won't be enough to make Chuck realize..............................

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 08:43 PM
series

Kobulingam
05-21-2007, 08:44 PM
To win Game 2 or the series?

The championship.

Kobulingam
05-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Ohh man Bruce is going to be mad. He's going to lube it up before Game 2 and rape DW all night long.

SpursIndonesia
05-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Naaah. Charles only tried to bring more interest to the series, you know, support the underdog mentality.

td4mvp3
05-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Naaah. Charles only tried to bring more interest to the series, you know, support the underdog mentality.
no, he sounded pretty serious.

txmed
05-21-2007, 08:55 PM
For some on this thread (not most but some): Calm down.

Charles has been nothing if not biased towards the Spurs over the years. He's just throwing out his opinion. Certainly I think it is off based, but he's spelled out his reasons, and he certainly wasn't disrespecting the Spurs.

belac2007
05-21-2007, 08:57 PM
This coming from a guy whom picked Dallas over Golden State in what he called a quick and easy series for the Mavs!!! Charles is wrong yet again...Spurs in 6.

timvp
05-21-2007, 08:59 PM

Charles has been nothing if not biased towards the Spurs over the years.

:tu

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 09:00 PM
says spurs have no answer for williams, duncan and boozer will even out, and ... that was about it.

Duncan and Boozer will even out, guess he was sleeping during yesterdays game. Kenny probably looked at him like are you fucking kidding me? Utah is a good team but they went 7 games with Houston and only won because they basically choked.

td4mvp3
05-21-2007, 09:00 PM

Charles has been nothing if not biased towards the Spurs over the years. He's just throwing out his opinion. Certainly I think it is off based, but he's spelled out his reasons, and he certainly wasn't disrespecting the Spurs.
i think we're all just surprised not insulted. it's been one game in which the spurs actually won but the guy changed his mind? on the reasoning that williams will be the savior even though he's averaged 15-20 points in the regular season matchups? it just came out of left field.

jazzman12
05-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Ohh man Bruce is going to be mad. He's going to lube it up before Game 2 and rape DW all night long.

Well he better do something, because he wasn't doing jack in game 1. I was actually pleasently suprised to see Bowen as not much of a factor. I'm also very excited for game 2, I'm smelling some overconfidence coming from Spurs fans and I hope it's cascading over to their team as well.

Either way, I won't panic until the Jazz lose a home game. Fight like hell for a game 7 and in IMO, anything can happen at that point.

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 09:04 PM

Pretty much Pop will probably wait and see how Parker does on him and if he is going off then he will put Bruce on him and he will have a much tougher night.

E20
05-21-2007, 09:09 PM
I think since the ESPN crew of Anthony, Legler, Smith etc are trying to jinx the Spurs, Barkely saw right through and applied a counter-jinx.

coachmac87
05-21-2007, 09:15 PM
i was shocked when he said that...hes been on the spurs nuts these past years...thats bs sayin that boozer and duncan canceling out....hes to hard headed to realize tim duncan is the best to play his position..spurs need to put bowen or manu on willams all game...but he is right about okur..hes key...only shot i think 3-15 last game

GrandeDavid
05-21-2007, 09:19 PM
On Around the Horn, the Tony Reali show, whatever its called, one guy picked a Spurs sweep and the other three picked Spurs in five.

GrandeDavid
05-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Just last week on Jim Rome he was saying he picks the Spurs to win it all. Don't know what Charles is thinking. Prolly just clownin, although coming off as seeming serious. He's opinionated, but I never thought he was a dumb ass.

TMTTRIO
05-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Calm down. Didn't ya'll hear Manu on one of the postgame shows telling his guy Charles to continue going with the other team in his predictions since he's been on a bad prediction streak recently :p:

GrandeDavid
05-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Who did Kenny Smith pick?

weebo
05-21-2007, 09:23 PM
I want whatever chuck is somking. Anyway, when ever are the Spurs given the respect the deserve? This is just one of many idiotic comments sir chuckster makes so I wouldn't wad my panties over it.

GrandeDavid
05-21-2007, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't wad my panties over it.

Unless they're wet or need washing?

GrandeDavid
05-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Williams will get checked by Bowen, Chuck. Don't be stupid as a result of your bitterness for the Spurs pulling out Game 5 in Phoenix, which you guaranteed Phoenix would win. He's just being a big sourpuss. H

DDS4
05-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Who did Kenny Smith pick?

Kenny and Magic both picked the Spurs. Magic even admitted that he was wrong in picking the Nuggets. Ernie said that Chuck would regret switching over to the Jazz.

Barkley said on radio in the past that he doesn't give a shit who wins. He just speaks his mind.

He'll jump back on soon enough.

jazzin7
05-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Duncan and Boozer will even out, guess he was sleeping during yesterdays game. Kenny probably looked at him like are you fucking kidding me? Utah is a good team but they went 7 games with Houston and only won because they basically choked.

Yeah, Kenny has picked Houston and Warriors so far, he REALLY hates the Jazz and can't find anything good to say, so it all balances out. They both have no clue. Nonetheless, as I've said before, I hope your fanbase rubs off on the team -- keep overlooking the lowly jazz. And for the record, DW cancels Parker, TD has an edge on Booze rollling, so its up to everyone else to make the real difference. Me no think Elson and Oberto got that all series, fer instance.

ObiwanGinobili
05-21-2007, 09:44 PM

Charles is just trying to distract us all from his serious man-crush on Manu. :king

exstatic
05-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Duncan and Boozer will never even out. Boozer fucking allowed Fabs to score 14 points. :lol Duncan controls the paint on D.

Didn't he pick PHO? I know he picked Dallas and stayed with the Cuban Titanic gang...

GSH
05-21-2007, 09:54 PM
The Jazz had no answer for Baron Davis. The Suns had no answer for Kobe Bryant. One guy can't win a series. The biggest thing the Chuckster lost his mind about is thinking that Carlos Boozer equals out with Tim Duncan. Boozer is faster than Yao Ming, and he had his way against a team without any real big men. The only way he matches up with Duncan is if Tim gets into foul trouble and is sitting on the bench. Boozer is a good player, but he isn't one of the top 3 players in the league. Tim is. Day in and day out, Duncan will school Boozer.

Williams' numbers in that second half were way above his season stats. Barkley can't believe that the Spurs are less suited to defend him than the rest of the league. He just didn't think it through. Williams is a great young player, but he isn't going to single-handedly "own" the Spurs defense. Even if Barkley turns out to be right (I don't think so), it won't be for that reason.

But besides all that...c'mon, does anybody really think the Spurs' huge lead had nothing to do with it?

George Gervin's Afro
05-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Wow, guy doesn't pick you and you bring down the wrath? Tough crowd.

yes. we have extreme homers.

violentkitten
05-21-2007, 09:55 PM
boozer? yeah, i'd love to see him on the spurs but don't be mentioning him in the same breath as timmy d.

Clutch20
05-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Dude has gone mad. He's basing it on the fact that Jazz outplayed Spurs in second half. His reasoning is that Jazz didn't play well in first half because they were getting used to the whole situation, so the second half must be a better indicator.

Hey Charles, STFU.

Idiot.
The Jazz really outplayed the Spurs only in the last 5 minutes of the game and that was after the Spurs had already mailed it in. :clap

GSH
05-21-2007, 09:56 PM
And for the record, DW cancels Parker, TD has an edge on Booze rollling, so its up to everyone else to make the real difference.

I'll buy that. But the Jazz have NOTHING that looks like Manu Ginobili.

mikekim
05-21-2007, 10:02 PM
I like Chuck. If nothing else, he makes me laugh. And I think he realizes that this is the case for a lot of people. I tend to try to discern which of the things that comes out of his mouth to take seriously and which to dismiss. I laugh at most all of them though, haha.

I picked Spurs in 7 for vbookie...and I wish I would've picked 6. But I still have hope for my pick and think the Jazz will rebound nicely in Game 2.

Of course, it goes without saying that I would prefer the Spurs win in 4 :)

Gaytron9000
05-21-2007, 10:06 PM

because who basically choked? Houston? no,not really, The Jazz were -clearly- the better team in that series, they led through the third quarter in -every- game, the three games in Houston they lost they let it slip through their hands in the fourth, the games in Utah werent even close, believe me....Houston didnt choke

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 10:10 PM
because who basically choked? Houston? no,not really, The Jazz were -clearly- the better team in that series, they led through the third quarter in -every- game, the three games in Houston they lost they let it slip through their hands in the fourth, the games in Utah werent even close, believe me....Houston didnt choke

If a series goes 7 games neither team is clearly the better team, a series does not go 7 if that is the case.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-21-2007, 10:10 PM
I'll buy that. But the Jazz have NOTHING that looks like Manu Ginobili.

I know. Chuck, is just trying to make things interesting, his argument is so loose. Boozer < Duncan. No way do they cancel out. Tp Deron will impact equally. AK can't guard Manu.

He's basically overlooking the fact that Manu is crazily unquantifiable. He's only going to get more insane with each passing game.

I picked Spurs in 7 for vbookie...and I wish I would've picked 6. But I still have hope for my pick and think the Jazz will rebound nicely in Game 2.

Of course, it goes without saying that I would prefer the Spurs win in 4.

Same here. I picked the Spurs to win in 5, but now that Chuck made this ballsy prediction. The only thing that'll make him eat more crow, is if the Spurs sweep the jazz with a convincing fashion.

ThomasGranger
05-21-2007, 10:14 PM
He was telling people not to sleep on the Jazz during the Houston series. If he stays with them and they win, he looks like a prophet. If the Jazz lose, no big deal to him (unless he bet big bucks on them to take the series).

ATXSPUR
05-21-2007, 10:23 PM
I just saw him jump ship over there on tnt right now.

thanks chuck you gauranteed it for us now :elephant

spursgrl20
05-21-2007, 10:24 PM
yeah, he's on a roll now.

T-Pain
05-21-2007, 10:24 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68393

conversekid
05-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Ya... he's talking about it again right now. I don't see what he sees. I think the Jazz are a good team, but I don't seem them taking us. When the Spurs are clicking, I just don't see a team beating us. What are the Jazz going to do? Run us? We've Run with Phoenix, Denver over the last 5 years. Get physical? We've been physical with Denver, Detroit, etc... over the last 5 years. What style can they throw at us that we haven't seen before? Kenny was right on the money.

spursgrl20
05-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Chuck wants Utah to "beat the hell out of the big 3" to win :rolleyes

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 10:27 PM
He just said that Utah will get physical with us and if they slow down the big 3 we can't win because they are so much deeper than us.

conversekid
05-21-2007, 10:28 PM
anything is possible... but I just don't see it.

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 10:28 PM
He made it seem like it was so easy to shut down the big 3.

BeerIsGood!
05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Same story, different day. If Utah thinks merely getting physical will work, they should call Denver to find out. Denver was as good and physical in the front line but had a better guard in Iverson and a better forward in Anthony. Utah doesn't quite have the tools, but they are better coached. If the Spurs win tommorow night they'll have two games in Utah to get one then close at home.

ShoogarBear
Eh, I think he's just making conversation. He's got a valid point about Utah's depth, but I think those guys are a year or two's seasoning away from being a true top 3-4 team in the league.

Louie Vega
I knew fatboy was gonna cave! All that GIIIIIIINNOOBBIILLIIIIIII yelling after the Suns series was bullshit! He's a fat hack with no rings! San Antonio better let his fat ass have it when he comes to town too! Carve some bacon off his fat neck and back!!! Round mound of rebound my ass! He's a walking commercial for Crisco! Fat fucker!!!!

Sec24Row7
The Spurs will get worn down?

Did he watch the Denver Series?

heh

spursgrl20
05-21-2007, 10:30 PM
he wants Utah to "beat the hell out of the big 3" to win.
good luck with that. :rolleyes

Josh810
05-21-2007, 10:30 PM
It's almost like they paid Charles to try to generate more interest in this series. If he really suddenly changed his mind after seeing game 1, then all the crap he just said baffles me. Is he trying to be wrong on purpose now, since they've made fun of how wrong he's been all playoffs long?

Shaolin-Style
05-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Seriously theres some kind of anti-jinx thing he's playing I think, or he just stopped liking the spurs after the "suns were jipped" hype.

spursgrl20
05-21-2007, 10:35 PM
They just sent the Suns fishing! Horry was lurking in the backround in the lake. :lmao :fishing

L.I.T
05-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Seems like a typical move. Pick the overwhelming underdog, give somewhat logical reasons for it. Hype it all up, and if they win he can crow about what a genius he is.

They lose he can blither on and on about never under-estimating the heart of a champion, how even he underrates the Spurs and Duncan, then he can scream Ginobili during every pause in conversation for a week. People will just go, ah that's just Chuck being Chuck.

Either way, it's a win/win for him and ratings.

Spurologist
05-21-2007, 10:36 PM
:lol

Charles:

"Thanks to propel people. I got the shipment at the crib"

Louie Vega
05-21-2007, 10:36 PM
I knew fatboy was gonna cave! All that GIIIIIIINNOOBBIILLIIIIIII yelling after the Suns series was bullshit! He's a fat hack with no rings! San Antonio better let his fat ass have it when he comes to town too! Carve some bacon off his fat neck and back!!! Round mound of rebound my ass! He's a walking commercial for Crisco! Fat fucker!!!!

longrod
05-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Barkley's being an idiot. Stern's idiot.

sandman
05-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Nonetheless, as I've said before, I hope your fanbase rubs off on the team -- keep overlooking the lowly jazz.

Jazzfan Circle Jerk Forum...

Spurologist
05-21-2007, 10:43 PM

WHOA.

Stephen A. Smith definately has some competition.

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Chuck is funny i mean he picked the Spurs to win it all at the start of the playoffs and then they get to the West Finals go up 1-0 and he jumps ship on them. He is giving some awful high praise to Utah, a team that won 51 games and who's core has never been this far in the playoffs or faced a team as good as SA.

koopa
05-21-2007, 10:56 PM
it seems he's basing it off of williams 4th quarter points, which is stupid cause the spurs didn't even play williams that hard in the 4th, they had that huge lead and just lost their intensity cause it was pointless to kill themselves trying to get a 30 point win...... the jazz won't beat the spurs, they are a good team, but they ain't on the spurs level

judaspriestess
05-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I disagree jazz have had an easy playoff run making them seem stronger than what they are. They are a good team but not good enough to beat the Spurs
this year.

SilverPlayer
05-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Um have any of you bagging on Chuck ever noticed that Kenny and Chuck get paid to disagree? That goes for most sport's shows, the pundits are paid to disagree.

Chuck just lost the coin toss with Kenny, and/ or Chuck didn't want to jinx us with his curse.

Trainwreck2100
05-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Every year Chuck jumps ship we win, he did it in 03 and 05, he knows what he's doing

dbreiden83080
05-21-2007, 11:10 PM
it seems he's basing it off of williams 4th quarter points, which is stupid cause the spurs didn't even play williams that hard in the 4th, they had that huge lead and just lost their intensity cause it was pointless to kill themselves trying to get a 30 point win...... the jazz won't beat the spurs, they are a good team, but they ain't on the spurs level

Plus Boozer padded his stats late in the game as well when the Spurs stopped playing D. The score was only somewhat close because they fouled a million times and Sloan took 20 TO in the last min to extend the game.

AnkleBreaker21
05-21-2007, 11:14 PM
he's just still pissed about the suns series,you know how he was about the suspensions

rayray2k8
05-21-2007, 11:15 PM
This done mean much since he did pick the suns over the spurs.
And the mavs over the warriors for that matter. :lol

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2007, 11:19 PM
He said he thinks Utah is going to win the series. His explanation was D'antonesque: I think every person is gong to play better.

I know he's a funny guy. Days ago I put him in the same bag with Kerr. I can't read his intentions.

sa_kid20
05-21-2007, 11:33 PM
its probably a good thing Barkley is picking the Jazz since he is always wrong with his predictions anyway :dizzy

Tek_XX
05-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Charles is great but i don't think he really prepares for the show, he kinda just speaks out of his ass, which is what we love about the guy. He can pick whoever he wants but i think it should be based off more than just a half of basketball.

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Well Magic Johnson did pick the Spurs and so did Kenny. But does MJ picking Spurs bode well for them?

Budkin
05-21-2007, 11:37 PM
He's been picking the Jazz as his dark horse since just before the playoffs started. I think he wants to just say "I told you so." He's usually wrong in his picks. Remember that he guaranteed a Suns win in Game 5.

GrandeDavid
05-22-2007, 07:51 AM
yes. we have extreme homers.

We do have extreme homers, yes. But I think you could also add that many Spurs fans probably just got excited over a commentator with national prominenance consistently appearing to root for the Spurs. Fans around here are used to the Spurs getting underpropped or no props. Probably just stung some fans' pride a bit. :lol

spurster
05-22-2007, 08:10 AM
The Spurs PR contacted Charles to make the series sound more competitive in order to sell more tickets.

Agloco
05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Well, he's been picking the Jazz for most of the postseason, so technically he isn't "always" wrong.

Picking the Jazz to win against the Rockets and the Warriors isn't exactly going out on a limb.

It's just surprising that he would go against the Spurs considering how much he likes to swing on Manus nuts.

SAGambler
05-22-2007, 08:34 AM

Haven't we been here before? Remember when "we had no answer" for Amare? And in fact it was kind of true. He was scoring at will. But who prevailed? The Spurs did.

Same thing with Williams.

One man is not going to beat you.

How many games this season did Kobe score tons of points and still lost the game?

We may lose the battle with Williams, but win the war with the Jazz.

It wouldn't be the first time.

BreezeHillBill
05-22-2007, 08:42 AM

Hey Charles, STFU.

Idiot.

You might be right about him being mad. In the old days, the court jester could say absolutely anything to the King, no matter how asinine or insulting, and was considered quite funny because it was assumed he must be crazy to say things like that.

Jimcs50
05-22-2007, 08:45 AM
I still love Chuck.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Every year Chuck jumps ship we win, he did it in 03 and 05, he knows what he's doing

Bingo. Chuck does this all the time. Why are people acting surprised / hurt?

Question: Did Chuck pick the Spurs or Mavs in 2004?

nkdlunch
05-22-2007, 09:31 AM
He listened to his man Manu. Manu advised him to pick against the Spurs because Charles has not got 1 series right this year.

EVAY
05-22-2007, 10:14 AM
I think this has more to do with Barkely's gambling odds than with actual basketball expectations. Barkely is always going on about his winnings and losings in gambling. If he can convice enough people that the Jazz could actually win, then his bets on the spurs winning will pay off with better odds than otherwise. Also, remember that Barkely hates coming to San Antonio because he feels that the town is not "lively" enough for him at night...I don't care about his opinion about the town or his opinion about the spurs' chances. It's all about Charles, remember. It's not about basketball or anything else...it's about how he can get the most money and creature comforts.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 10:19 AM
I created one thread last night but I think it got deleted by the administrators. Whatever.

Anyway, Chuck simply said that all the Utah players will play better going forward and that's the reason why they will upset the spurs. I love it.

mavsfan1000
05-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I guess that punk play by Horry caused Charles to hate the spurs. lol

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Haven't we been here before? Remember when "we had no answer" for Amare? And in fact it was kind of true. He was scoring at will. But who prevailed? The Spurs did.

Same thing with Williams.

One man is not going to beat you.

How many games this season did Kobe score tons of points and still lost the game?

We may lose the battle with Williams, but win the war with the Jazz.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Typical Popovich is to let one of them loose to score all he wants but stop everyone else. He did that with Amare the previous playoffs and he actually said it. "We can take 40 points from Amare but we need to stop the rest".

TampaDude
05-22-2007, 10:23 AM
That must be some good crickety-crack that Chuck is smoking... :lol

Testing
05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I think he only did it to have the series gain some more interest...I don't think there's anyone who thinks the Jazz can upset, Charles is trying to draw some interest in the series and put himself out there...kinda like what he did with the whole Golden state the city is a disaster, etc. etc. talk.

LilMissSPURfect
05-22-2007, 10:59 AM
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~dougie/|R|forumstuff/wtf.jpg

Girasuck
05-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Good hell, I've never seen a bunch of fans get all worked up over what one person says. It's like NOBODY is allowed to pick Utah to win this series and if they do, you guys go ape shit.

mabber
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
picks utah to upset the spurs during the cavs game. and by chuck i mean charles barkley.

This has probably been said in this thread (I don't feel like reading the entire thread) but Chuck is just doing this for shock value to help ratings. I'm sure TNT is worried about the ratings for this particular series.

Girasuck
05-22-2007, 12:47 PM
This has probably been said in this thread (I don't feel like reading the entire thread) but Chuck is just doing this for shock value to help ratings. I'm sure TNT is worried about the ratings for this particular series.

Why would TNT be worried about the ratings for the WCF when all the games are on ABC/ESPN?

mabber
05-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Why would TNT be worried about the ratings for the WCF when all the games are on ABC/ESPN?

My bad, I just assumed TNT had the WCF's. I think they did last year. Nevermind.