PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Annecdotes?

raspsa
05-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Can people please post annecdotes on TD? We all read about how he is a different person with a great sense of humor. How is he in the locker room? He reminds me of Bigfoot, we get sightings but seldom get to see the real creature. Firsthand encounters by fans would be best but any insights would be appreciated.

exstatic
05-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Fully cooked brisket from HEB...

It'll improve your day, deliciously...

slayermin
05-21-2007, 10:17 PM
He doesn't autograph basketballs.

SANANTOJAMES
05-21-2007, 10:17 PM
"Very important, wait thats 2 words"

Spurologist
05-21-2007, 10:19 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Tim-Duncan-R.article_0.jpg

This thread is retarded.

spursgrl20
05-21-2007, 10:20 PM

:lol yeah, that was a good one.

Leetonidas
05-21-2007, 10:20 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Tim-Duncan-R.article_0.jpg

This thread is retarded.
:lol

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Didn't hear that one....video clip?

spursgrl20
05-21-2007, 10:40 PM
It was after the Game 1 win in Phoenix, a woman interviewed Tim on court and asked "In one word, just how important is winning this first game?" and Tim's response was "Very important, wait thats 2 words" :p:

sheriee84
05-21-2007, 10:45 PM
during his post-game press conf, reporters kept asking about the Jazz out playing them in the 2nd half, so when he finished the intertview and stood up he said "we played good enough though" (or something to that effect) I just thought that that was cute

Summers
05-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Finals, 05, talking smack about Horry not showing up to play until it's a big game. :lol

He once said he and Will Sevening were cuddling.

Some really old interview (maybe from college) he said some girl at Wake Forest asked him if they wear clothes in the Virgin Islands and he told her no, he had to buy all his clothes when he got here.

Summers
05-21-2007, 10:48 PM
During the Phoenix series, he said he was going to poke Manu in the other eye so he would go off in the second half again.

jmard5
05-21-2007, 11:03 PM
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/463/tdqw8.jpg
You were fooled.

bdictjames
05-21-2007, 11:05 PM
I think he has a vendetta against me.

Dingle Barry
05-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Well I haven't been in the locker room with him but I did "run into" him once at Northwoods cinema. It was the summer of 2000 and Tim had been considering Orlando's offer (2001 maybe but it was def. the summer of his free agency). This was right after he decided to stay in SA.

He and the wife were the only other people outside besides my date and I. They were trying to buy tickets for a sold out show or getting them for a later show, but in any case they leave the box office and head towards the parking lot.

I was far too fucking nervous/ star struck to say anything to Tim as he walked past me. But then as after he took a few steps away from me I yelled "THANKS TIM!" and to my surprise, he yelled back "thank YOU!" Pretty much made my life.

He then inexplicably took his shirt off in the parking lot before getting into his car. That part never really made sense to me.

Chris
05-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Well I haven't been in the locker room with him but I did "run into" him once at Northwoods cinema. It was the summer of 2000 and Tim had been considering Orlando's offer (2001 maybe but it was def. the summer of his free agency). This was right after he decided to stay in SA.

He and the wife were the only other people outside besides my date and I. They were trying to buy tickets for a sold out show or getting them for a later show, but in any case they leave the box office and head towards the parking lot.

I was far too fucking nervous/ star struck to say anything to Tim as he walked past me. But then as after he took a few steps away from me I yelled "THANKS TIM!" and to my surprise, he yelled back "thank YOU!" Pretty much made my life.

He then inexplicably took his shirt off in the parking lot before getting into his car. That part never really made sense to me.

Good story :lol

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 11:30 PM
It was after the Game 1 win in Phoenix, a woman interviewed Tim on court and asked "In one word, just how important is winning this first game?" and Tim's response was "Very important, wait thats 2 words" :p:

oh i think i remember that.

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 11:32 PM

Hmm thats kind of wierd.

T Park
05-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Sounds like Timmy was a bit drunk that night :lol

Heres an old school one

'What about the gnomes?"

spursfan09
05-21-2007, 11:34 PM
And remember according to him, FIBA sucks

Tigole Bitties
05-21-2007, 11:36 PM

http://www.shamsports.com/images/amusing/duncannude6.jpg

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-21-2007, 11:39 PM

THanks for the laugh. THe last line sounds something you would say happened in a dream.

Summers
05-22-2007, 12:01 AM
:lol I don't think he drives with a shirt on, just his A-shirt. Maybe it's too binding.

elcigala
05-22-2007, 12:07 AM
When Bowen dunked and he sayed it was "a strong layup"

Dro210
05-22-2007, 12:30 AM
I've met him once at a Blockbuster.... He was a rookie, I was like 12 years old... He was with his wife Amy, but I don't think they were married yet... anyway... Nicest guy you could ever meet, he almost seemed as shy/nervous (maybe even embarresed, especially since I called him Mr. Duncan, lol) to talk to me as I was to talk to him... and not in an "I'm too good for this" asshole sense, but more like exactly what you would expect from a rookie, just moved into a new town Tim Duncan

I got his autograph on a dollar bill cause it was the only thing I had... I still have it right next to a picture of him on draft day (greatest day in history)

I think we publicly see more and more personality from him now because he's so comfortable with where he's at.... city, family, legacy, current team, everything..... life, at least from an outside apperance, is good for Timmy right now

AnkleBreaker21
05-22-2007, 12:38 AM
damn your some lucky bastards, i wish i could meet tim.be fucking tight

Ronaldo McDonald
05-22-2007, 04:14 AM
I knew Tim pretty well, for I graduated with him at Wake Forest and I was the boyfriend of a girl who was a good friend of Amys.

I'm not goign to say anything else for privacy reasons, but I will say one thing that is pretty funny:

Tim was an awesome beer pong player. He was basically directly over the the cups when he'd throw it because he was so tall and his arms were so long.

aaronstampler
05-22-2007, 05:02 AM
I think the Ric Bucher story was pretty funny when in summer camp before his rookie season he tried a left handed hook shot and got it swatted by some no-name player and Pop smirked at him, "oh yeah, we're gonna be reeeeeeal good this year" and Tim quickly deadpanned back, "I told you that you shouldn't have drafted me."

raspsa
05-22-2007, 05:52 AM
TD walking over to the sideline where Steve Kerr and a colleague were broadcasting and TD greets the other guy. Steve naturally thinks he'll be next and he starts to rise and extend his arm but TD abruptly turns away and starts to walk away, leaving Kerr frozen in an awkward pose.. of course TD turned back with a big grin on his face to greet Steve .. GOTCHA!!!

polandprzem
05-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Who remembers when Timmy got injred in 2005?
And he was playing golf one day, and jurnalists were asking him about the injury and there was something about acting (damn I can't remember excactly) but Tim's response was
Yes I'm a good actor, I'm acting like two weeks now. And I fooled everybody and I'm enjoying my vacation.

Or something like that

stumpythegoat
05-30-2007, 12:22 AM
What about what Tim said after the Parker-Nash collision? Some reporter asked him the next day what would have been different if it had been Nash and Manu. He replied, "It's would have been homicide."

J.T.
05-30-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm surprised the Spurs players waste their time at Northwoods. I lived around 1604 & 281 until college and even ended up working at that shit hole for a year in high school, and I've seen so many Spurs players there. Tony took Eva there to see Hitch on Valentines day in 2005, I saw Malik Rose there a few times and Bowen once. Most worthless movie theater ever. They should go to AMC Huebner instead.

I saw Manu at Best Buy once, Horry at Northstar Mall, and Tim and Bruce eating at IHOP once though we didn't bother them since they were eating. One time, I had a friend who lived on the same street as Malik, and we saw Malik coming home after a game. My friend said something like "You did great tonight, Malik." I later went home and saw on the boxscore "Malik Rose DNP-CD". I lawled.

PM5K
05-30-2007, 12:32 AM
I remember once seeing him kick Tony's foot to make him trip, it was hilarious...

Also, if anyone remembers at the podium when he said, Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs...

mikekim
05-30-2007, 12:57 AM
I made my way down to the floor from the upper deck in the 4th quarter of a laker-spur game at the Staples Center. It was a blowout, but you guys don't understand how difficult it is to make it to the FLOOR from the UPPER DECK and not get immediately kicked out and sent back at the STAPLES CENTER.

Several security guys/ushers were verrry suspicious of me as I nonchalantly took a seat on one of the empty seats down there to watch the closing minutes. I was so sneaky getting there that they weren't sure if I snuck in or I had those seats. I even had my Manu home jersey on!

Anyways, after the game, Tim was talking to Craig Sager and I moved close to the railing and after he was done I screamed "Tim! Tiiiiimmmm!" like no other for like 7 seconds, and he thought I was some retarded laker fan I guess. And he didn't look over one bit. His path wasn't directly towards me but he did get closer as he made his way out and i kept screaming. He FINALLY stopped for a second and turned and he was maybe 15-20 feet away from me. I wanted to say something but for some reason I froze up and I just gave a sort of part "number 1", part peace sign, part wave with my hand. I think that he figured I was letting my jersey speak my support for me but I was wearing a MANU jersey and I saw his eyes glance down at my jersey and scan the number "20." Then he just sort of paused and then gave me a peace sign with a nod and walked on.

I still feel bad to this day for not having/wearing a Duncan jersey to that game....

Sorry...not much of a story but the only personal Duncan story I have, haha.

The Red Hood
05-30-2007, 01:33 AM
TD walking over to the sideline where Steve Kerr and a colleague were broadcasting and TD greets the other guy. Steve naturally thinks he'll be next and he starts to rise and extend his arm but TD abruptly turns away and starts to walk away, leaving Kerr frozen in an awkward pose.. of course TD turned back with a big grin on his face to greet Steve .. GOTCHA!!!

:lmao I remember seeing that on TNT

I remember in the 2005 playoffs maybe even finals pop was walking and talking to a reporter in the hallway leading to and from the spurs locker room and tim was walking behind pop mimicking everything pop was saying I think it is even on the 2005 championship DVD

The Red Hood
05-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Then of course there was the time recently when tim had just finished talking on the podium to the reporters and he started to make a funny face because little Sindey Duncan was walking over to him he then stepped off the podium and picked her up and carried her away not really a funny think just a cute thing

Summers
05-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Also, if anyone remembers at the podium when he said, Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs...

:lol I remember that.

I also liked "Is that what you call polite?"

Phenomanul
05-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Something about sporting the sexy black eye look....

LilMissSPURfect
05-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Fully cooked brisket from HEB...It'll improve your day, deliciously...

All good stories.....keep em coming :toast

ObiwanGinobili
05-30-2007, 09:53 AM
When we 1st moved to SA emo was working at Ancira, and one of the 1st cars he had to work on there was a really nice 2 dr Jeep wrangeler thingy. Very sweet looking. The problem was the frame was wrecked to all of hades, alignment also etc. the kinda damage you get from driving where you are not sopposed to.
So Emo is working o nthis thing for nearly a week on the big frame machine. And everyone and thier mother is coming to check it out. We are new in town, Emo's been on the job about 2 weeks. He thinks they are checking up on him and is getting really pissed that people won;t just let him work. He comes home every day bitchign about people standing over his shoulder while he;s trying to work, or how he comes back from break and there are 2 or 3 people looking it over or making comments to themselves. Finally he is done with the car friday. Monday in the morning the car is gone and Emo goes to the shop manager to complain about all the over the shoulder treatment.
His bosss says to him: "do you read the whole estimate or just the part you need to do?"
emo says: "I don;t have time to read stuff I don;t need to know - I just read my part:
the manager says: " that was one of Tim Duncans cars"
:lol the whole damn week and noone said shit to him.

and thats the closest either one of us has ever gotton to a good spurs related ancedote.

LilMissSPURfect
05-30-2007, 10:00 AM
the kinda damage you get from driving where you are not sopposed to.

281 will do that to ya car!
:lol :lol

Summers
05-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Awesome story, Obi!

Sweetey
05-30-2007, 10:10 AM
When we 1st moved to SA emo was working at Ancira, and one of the 1st cars he had to work on there was a really nice 2 dr Jeep wrangeler thingy. Very sweet looking. The problem was the frame was wrecked to all of hades, alignment also etc. the kinda damage you get from driving where you are not sopposed to.
So Emo is working o nthis thing for nearly a week on the big frame machine. And everyone and thier mother is coming to check it out. We are new in town, Emo's been on the job about 2 weeks. He thinks they are checking up on him and is getting really pissed that people won;t just let him work. He comes home every day bitchign about people standing over his shoulder while he;s trying to work, or how he comes back from break and there are 2 or 3 people looking it over or making comments to themselves. Finally he is done with the car friday. Monday in the morning the car is gone and Emo goes to the shop manager to complain about all the over the shoulder treatment.
His bosss says to him: "do you read the whole estimate or just the part you need to do?"
emo says: "I don;t have time to read stuff I don;t need to know - I just read my part:
the manager says: " that was one of Tim Duncans cars"
:lol the whole damn week and noone said shit to him.

and thats the closest either one of us has ever gotton to a good spurs related ancedote.
That's hilarious. Sounds like something I'd do.

hater
05-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Remember when he was so fucking drunk at a strip club that he threw $100,000 on top of the strippers... oh wait...that's not Tim.

Summers
05-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Remember when he was so fucking drunk he went to a strip club and threw $100,000 on top of the strippers... oh wait...that's not Tim.

hater
05-30-2007, 10:23 AM
I can't beleive noone mentioned he loves Playstation and WWF :lol

Timmy's our favority dork

05-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Tim Duncan while at Wake Forest was called "soft'' by Duke's Greg Newton. Duncan's response: "I think he's the greatest player I've ever seen.''

hater
05-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Tim Duncan while at Wake Forest was called "soft'' by Duke's Greg Newton. Duncan's response: "I think he's the greatest player I've ever seen.''

Tim Duncan's response now: "I wonder what happened to Greg Newton"

ancestron
05-30-2007, 10:44 AM
i think it was the denver series in this years playoffs. probably game 2 or 3 when Tim was getting absolutley mugged on the block (only a week or so after the joe crawford fiasco) and they obviously werent going to call anything for him. I remember one shot where he did his usual back down/juke spin move and banked it in while getting fouled and no whistle blew. He pumped his fist and screamed "AND 1!" at the offiicial in a very angry, aggressive manner. tell em Timmy.

smrattler
05-30-2007, 10:58 AM
These are great stories guys, keep them coming. Make some up too if you have to. Ok, ok, just kidding about that last part.

easjer
05-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't have any stories, but one of my coworkers went to Wake Forest at the same time and apparently took one or two classes with him. She raves about him. She's never claimed that they were close friends or anything, but she says she walked to classes with him a couple of times and sat near him. She's a Spurs fan now because of him. Anyway, she said he was always very nice and polite to everyone and really funny, actually hardworking in class (unlike some of our student athletes here, which is damn funny, cause these kids aren't likely to amount to much professionally). She wasn't a huge fan of Amy's though. She said she was nice, but I suspect she was crushing on Tim.

Interesting sidenote to this colleague - she got talked up by Shane Battier at a bar a couple months ago. She was waiting on some friends and ended up next to Shane Battier and didn't recognize him (said he was vaguely familiar). He started talking to her and she was blowing him off because he was wearing a wedding ring and he finally introduced her to his single friend. :lol Shane was apparently trying to find his friend a date, but his friend wasn't as cute. :lol Anyway, her friends showed up and were all, "OMG! Do you KNOW WHO THAT IS?" And she didn't until they told her. When they told her, she sheepishly went back and said hello and I think her friends got his autograph.

VaSpursFan
05-30-2007, 11:43 AM
In the press conferences following the Spurs/Suns game yesterday, the same reporter asked both Tim Duncan and Mike D'Antoni if they thought the series was physical.

Duncan looked around in bewildered laughter. "Did you watch last series? (laughs) No, it's not the most physical I've been in. Those guys last series were a lot more physical than these guys."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :toast Timmay

ObiwanGinobili
05-30-2007, 01:56 PM
In the press conferences following the Spurs/Suns game yesterday, the same reporter asked both Tim Duncan and Mike D'Antoni if they thought the series was physical.

Duncan looked around in bewildered laughter. "Did you watch last series? (laughs) No, it's not the most physical I've been in. Those guys last series were a lot more physical than these guys."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :toast Timmay

yesterday?

Summers
05-30-2007, 02:33 PM
yesterday?
I think that was after game 1 or 2 of the Phoenix series...

dnsa
05-30-2007, 05:22 PM
How bout this for a TD story.

Back in 1999 @ Embassy Theaters me and my BF were waiting for the X-Files movie to start. We were sitting in the back row. Then all of a sudden 4 people enter our row. The movie was about to start and they had to go all the way down to the other end. I thought how rude coming in thru our row, go the other way around!!!
I bent down to move my purse and this giant almost tripped over my arm/purse. I looked up to say something. And low and behold it was Timmy. He said "Excuse me" and passed on thru. It was him, Amy, Vinny and Lynn Del Negro. I just stared in amusement. Imagine if he had tripped on my purse and ended up getting injured. NO one in San Antonio would ever forgive me.

Needless to say, I could not watch the movie. When it was finally over, we walked up to him and said hi. He was very down to earth. I was surpised though, at how slutty Lynn Del Negro looked. That's neither here or there.

So thank god he did not fall down and injure himself. History would have been different thanks to me.