PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Adelman to replace Van Gundy

CubanMustGo
05-21-2007, 10:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2878281

Adelman reportedly replacing Van Gundy in Houston

ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 21, 2007, 11:21 PM ET

In a good sign for getting the job, Rick Adelman interviewed for the Houston Rockets coaching position before Jeff Van Gundy even left the position.

Multiple media outlets were reporting on Monday night that the former Sacramento coach and the Rockets have indeed reached an agreement. Adelman will reportedly fly to Houston on Tuesday and be introduced on Wednesday.

Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis told The Associated Press on Tuesday night that Adelman was expected to come to Houston on Tuesday, but said he had no details of his plans.

He confirmed that Adelman has previously been interviewed for the job, which came open when Jeff Van Gundy was fired on Friday.

Houston television station KRIV first reported the hiring on Monday night, citing league sources. The Houston Chronicle Web site and KTRH radio also said Adelman already has the job.

Luis said he could not confirm the information.

The Rockets' Game 7 playoff loss to Utah meant a first-round exit for the third time in Van Gundy's four seasons. The 45-year-old Van Gundy had one season left on a nonguaranteed contract.

Adelman met last week with Rockets owner Leslie Alexander, Luis said.

Adelman took the Portland Trail Blazers to the NBA Finals twice and also coached the Golden State Warriors. From 1998-2006 he was at the helm of the Sacramento Kings, taking the team to the playoffs every season but losing in the Western conference finals three times before being dismissed.

The Kings did not make the playoffs last year under Eric Musselman, who was subsequently fired.

kingsfan
05-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Good for Rick, he's too good a coach not to be in the NBA. I'm not sure Rox are the best fit for him but we'll see.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Good choice by Houston.

T Park
05-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Great choice Houston.

You just made Houston an automatic non defense playing nonfactor again.

Thanks!!

trueD
05-22-2007, 01:43 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2878281

ESPN.com news services
Updated: May 21, 2007, 11:21 PM ET

From 1998-2006 he was at the helm of the Sacramento Kings, taking the team to the playoffs every season but losing in the Western conference finals three times before being dismissed.[/b]

WRONG, Kings only went to the WCF's once.

Watch Yao run offense from elbow :lol

leroyjenkins
05-22-2007, 05:04 PM
i think this is going to be good for houstons ticket sales. adelmans style of play will put more people in the stands. i know that all of the rocket games i went to, it was never sold out like when i went to san antonio and sacramento.

BUMP
05-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Great choice Houston.

Thanks!!

werent they #1 in FG defense last year?

stretch
05-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Houston will be pretty damn good next year. they already have a great defensive squad, but now will play the style that they need to play, especially with players like T-Mac and Bonzi Wells. If Wells stays in Houston, they will be a hell of a team.

Fillmoe
05-22-2007, 06:49 PM
adelman is that dude

rAm
05-22-2007, 09:05 PM
they should of picked up carlisle

Roxsfan
05-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Great choice Houston.

Thanks!!

flip was not known for d like larry brown, but the pistons are doing fine. yes i know current roxs d is team based and coach based philosophy..but they can become better on o with minimal regression on d. lets hope.

congrats on the spurs great postseason run

holy rambling runon.....