PDA

View Full Version : Can any of you remember when coaches have made use of the media for an advantage?

flipcritic
05-22-2007, 12:30 AM
I've been watching the NBA playoffs since the late 80s and I can't remember a time when coaches have been consciously using media attention to gain an edge. The Lakers and Celtics teams of the 80s didn't give a shit about dirty plays because it was more common back then.

I'm no Phil Jackson hater, but he's the only guy I can remember who started using "mind games" by pointing out supposed coaching or team flaws against his opponents. It's pretty much the rule now (the media even looks for it), as not only coaches, but players get into the act.

How I long for the day that teams and coaches just try to beat their opponents. Thank God for the Spurs vs. Jazz series in that respect. And hopefully (if we get past this round), we'll face the Pistons who I believe have the same mentality the Spurs have.

Do any of you remember of any "mind games" in the 70s or 80s? I read somewhere that Red Auerbach used to do it by rubbing it in against the Lakers. But at least he did it after they won.

Chris
05-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Red's victory cigar was usually intimidating.

L.I.T
05-22-2007, 01:40 AM
Pat Riley.

Using the media, he was able to create an aura of invincibility around his Lakers. They were the slickest, savviest bunch, led by a guy who looked more like a CEO or movie mogul than a coach. He was a PR master.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2007, 03:10 AM
Are you kidding?

ShoogarBear
05-22-2007, 04:53 AM
Guy V. Lewis would use telepathy to force the other coach into making stupid mistakes.

No, wait, it was the other way around.

aaronstampler
05-22-2007, 05:00 AM
Pop gets into coaches heads with reverse-psychology.

It's like, "Wait a minute, they just lost, but he's not blaming the refs and he's just saying his guys played badly? Holy shit, he must genuinely think they're better than us and that their mistakes are correctible with better effort and concentration. Are they? Fuck what we do now?"