PDA

View Full Version : What else.......

colargol
05-22-2007, 06:56 AM
Paul Shirley: 'Rooting for the Spurs Is Like Cheering for Cancer'

You remember Paul Shirley, right? Warmed the Suns bench for a few years, started writing a fairly entertaining blog over at the team's official site, and eventually moved on to ESPN.com when he became a big hit. That guy. He has a book coming out soon, and like everyone else, he has an opinion on the controversial Spurs/Suns series that ended last night.

While some of us here at the FanHouse get accused of hating the Spurs, I don't think any of us have ever gone as far as Mr. Shirley in describing our contempt for their death march towards the NBA Finals:

" I can't imagine how anyone could root for the Spurs. It would be like cheering for cancer. Of course, they're really effective (unfortunately, so is cancer), but I don't know if a roster of such easily disliked basketball players has ever been assembled.

Tim Duncan might be one of the greatest players of all time, but the constant bug-eyed complaints and the mumps-cheeks make him borderline unwatchable. Manu Ginobili was one of my favorites when he played in Italy. Here, he seems determined to bring a soccer-style sissification of basketball-along with a strong belief in the power of the bald spot-to our shores. Tony Parker looks like Gargamel. And everybody knows that Gargamel is evil."

I'm going to assume that Shirley is joking when he says rooting for the Spurs is like cheering for cancer, because he's a pretty funny guy, and the statement in and of itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you treat it as a joke. It's also important to remember that Shirley used to play for the Suns, so it's not like he's just a casual observer.

xamila rey
05-22-2007, 07:25 AM
i think this article has been posted few days ago.