PDA

View Full Version : Cuban gives Finley invite to return

Taco
05-22-2007, 08:09 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/110540.html

Cuban gives Finley invite to return, but why would he?
By JEFF CAPLAN
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
SAN ANTONIO -- The highest-paid player on the Mavericks' payroll still has a shot at winning the NBA championship.
Michael Finley, making a cool $17.3 million from his former employer, and $2.9 million from the San Antonio Spurs, has outlasted Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash in their quests for a first title.

Once one of the Mavs' Big Three, Finley now complements another Big Three named Duncan, Parker and Ginobili.

A reserve for most of the season, but a starter in the playoffs and averaging 14.5 points, Finley is now a full-fledged member of the tight-knit Spurs family in his second season since the awkward departure from the Mavs.

"Last year I was part of the team, but I was just an add-on, so-to-speak," Finley said after scoring 14 points in Sunday's 108-100 victory over Utah in Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals. Game 2 is tonight.

"Last year, with us having the disappointment and losing to Dallas, we all suffered together as a team and that brought us closer together and even brought me closer to the team."

It all comes back to the Mavs. But, would Finley?

After all that's transpired -- the Mavs releasing him after nine seasons to avoid paying a massive, self-induced salary-cap penalty, to Jason Terry's infamous punch to Finley's groin and owner Mark Cuban's reactionary endorsement to boo Finley -- Cuban said he'd like Finley to consider a fresh start up north.

"I would hope that after his contract is over in San Antone, he would consider the Mavs as an option," Cuban said Monday. "I don't know that he would, but our entire organization has that much respect for him."

Cuban continued: "I'm absolutely rooting for Fin. No question about it. I told him the first time I saw him after he joined the Spurs that if we didn't win, I hoped he did. I even sent him a text after he beat the Suns saying the same thing."

Finley has one season left on his deal, a player option, which calls for $18.6 million in Mavs money and $3.1 million from the Spurs.

"We're the beneficiary of that because he's still a great leader, a great professional; he shoots the ball well for us and tries to do what we want to do defensively," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "And he's been a great teammate for everybody."

In August 2005, the Mavs waived Finley, taking advantage of a one-time amnesty provision included in the new collective bargaining agreement. It allowed the Mavs to avoid a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax on the $51.8 million owed Finley over the next three seasons.

Finley became an unrestricted free agent, due the remainder of his Mavs salary plus whatever another team would pay him. San Antonio, Detroit, Phoenix and Miami made his short list.

"It's a strange situation that I had nothing to do with. I'm just a result of it," Finley said. "I just have to play and participate with the team that values me as a player."

At the time, Finley's departure was depicted as a sad loss, but not necessarily a significant one.

After the Suns had ousted the Mavs in the second round, the perception was that Finley's game had diminished and that he was no longer worth the exorbitant salary and the accompanying tax.

Finley averaged 15.7 points and 4.1 rebounds that season and still played 36.8 minutes. But he was viewed as a slowing, one-dimensional jump shooter who wouldn't, or couldn't, get to the basket.

Even if the Mavs had flirted with reducing Finley's minutes or turning him into a sixth man -- a position Jerry Stackhouse had assumed -- the financial savings would have probably won out anyway.

"As far as his skills, I never thought his skills were diminished," Cuban said. "He has established himself as one of the clutch 3-point shooters in the NBA."

Which makes Finley, 34, a perfect fit alongside the Spurs' Big Three. Finley came off the bench for all but 16 games of the regular season and averaged 9.0 points and 22.2 minutes a game.

But he's started all 12 playoff games and is logging 30.8 minutes. He's shooting 46.8 percent from behind the arc (36-of-77) and 90.9 percent (30-of-33) at the free-throw line.

"He's playing with a lot more confidence," Tony Parker said. "He's shooting the ball very well, especially in the playoffs. He doesn't think anymore, he goes out there and shoots when the shots are there and just plays more free."

And he's moving closer to becoming the first of the former Big Three to wear a ring.

jmard5
05-22-2007, 08:20 AM
"I don't know that he would, but our entire organization has that much respect for him."

Cuban continued: "I'm absolutely rooting for Fin. No question about it. I told him the first time I saw him after he joined the Spurs that if we didn't win, I hoped he did. I even sent him a text after he beat the Suns saying the same thing."

Much respect to actually boo him? But props for Cuban "to text" Finley and congratulate him for the win.

Russ
05-22-2007, 08:28 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/110540.html

Cuban gives Finley invite to return, but why would he?
By JEFF CAPLAN
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
SAN ANTONIO -- "I would hope that after his contract is over in San Antone, he would consider the Mavs as an option," Cuban said Monday. "I don't know that he would, but our entire organization has that much respect for him."
Translation -- I'd like to cut him again.

mattyc
05-22-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm sure Mike is far too smart to go back there.

violentkitten
05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
what exactly are the league rules regarding tampering?

BreezeHillBill
05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm sure Mike is far too smart to go back there.
If Dallas got Fin back, they could use him as a scapegoat for Dirk's withering violet act. Fin, just like Duncan, sees San Antonio as a much better quality-of-life choice.

foodie2
05-22-2007, 08:53 AM
Whenever I hear or read "San Antone" I just want to slap someone.

MoSpur
05-22-2007, 08:53 AM
I would hate to see Finley go back to Dallas.

ducks
05-22-2007, 08:54 AM
how does he think dallas will be able to afford him?

ducks
05-22-2007, 08:55 AM
dude is a having a very good playoff perfromance

batman2883
05-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Finley averaged 15.7 points and 4.1 rebounds that season and still played 36.8 minutes. But he was viewed as a slowing, one-dimensional jump shooter who wouldn't, or couldn't, get to the basket.

man i still remember when finley dunked on Dirk last year it was fantastical!!!

ObiwanGinobili
05-22-2007, 08:59 AM
I think Finley answered this question right here:

"It's a strange situation that I had nothing to do with. I'm just a result of it," Finley said. "I just have to play and participate with the team that values me as a player."

Obviously Cuban/Mavericks do not value him as a player.

samikeyp
05-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Too bad Cuban.

Go back and cry over Dirk's MVP some more.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 09:00 AM
What's next: Cuban going to go after Nash?

Darkwaters
05-22-2007, 09:10 AM

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/ap/spandna12305200125.widec.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/babykd_/finley_400_061226-1.jpg

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2005-2006/0105spurs4_finley_kmh.jpg

ObiwanGinobili
05-22-2007, 09:11 AM
damn Findog is monster looking! :smokin

SenorSpur
05-22-2007, 09:12 AM
WTF?

Given the chippy comments, hurt feelings, and frostiness that ensued between Cuban and Finley after his departure, I wonder why Finley would even consider this.

Darkwaters
05-22-2007, 09:15 AM
WTF?

Given the chippy comments, hurt feelings, and frostiness that ensued between Cuban and Finley after his departure, I wonder why Finley would even consider this.

The article gave no indication that Finley WAS considering this. Just that Cuban was.

boutons_
05-22-2007, 09:15 AM
"San Antone"

Many outsiders make this mistake, but in Cuban's case, I'm pretty sure he's aware of it and is being malicious. :)

ObiwanGinobili
05-22-2007, 09:16 AM
You gotta admit.. Cuban has got alot of balls making this offer in such a public way.

well, either he's got alot of balls or he's a complete fucking retard.

jmard5
05-22-2007, 09:17 AM
If Dallas got Fin back, they could use him as a scapegoat for Dirk's withering violet act. Fin, just like Duncan, sees San Antonio as a much better quality-of-life choice.

Include Horry in your list.

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 09:20 AM
If Finley had played his last season in Dallas the way he's playing now, he'd still be a Maverick regardless of the cost. The change of scenery and emphasis on team play and defense has helped him out a lot, along with lowered expectations.

Plus, after the first month of this season, I'm sure you guys would have given him away for a plate of tamales.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 09:33 AM
How long does Cuban need to keep paying Finley?

Findog
05-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Much respect to actually boo him? But props for Cuban "to text" Finley and congratulate him for the win.

Don't confuse the cocaine and boob job crowd at the AAC with die-hard Mavs fans.

Findog
05-22-2007, 09:34 AM
How long does Cuban need to keep paying Finley?

through next season

BreezeHillBill
05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
You gotta admit.. Cuban has got alot of balls making this offer in such a public way.

Got a lot of BILLS and he's a fucking retard.

MoSpur
05-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Cuban just wants attention.

BreezeHillBill
05-22-2007, 09:45 AM
If Finley had played his last season in Dallas the way he's playing now, he'd still be a Maverick regardless of the cost. The change of scenery and emphasis on team play and defense has helped him out a lot, along with lowered expectations.

Plus, after the first month of this season, I'm sure you guys would have given him away for a plate of tamales.

Pretentious punk. Mavericks are done. Go away and be quiet.

Agloco
05-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Don't confuse the cocaine and boob job crowd at the AAC with die-hard Mavs fans.

Don't you mean at home in front of the 17" RCA TV?

my2sons
05-22-2007, 09:57 AM
is cubes headed toward another fine....could this be considered tampering

DarrinS
05-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Didn't Finley have the choice of coming to SA or going to Miami? I can't remember.

Anyway, listening to Finley, it's obvious that he's very happy to be with the Spurs.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 10:06 AM

Cuban is dreaming man. With 34 years old, at the end of his career, there's no way Finley would think of coming back to that mad house. Cuban, pass me something of that you are smoking.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 10:09 AM

You are dreaming. You probably don't watch spurs games. You can't also compare Cuban to the spurs ownership. I don't believe any player would feel safe an secure overe there.

Lowered expectations? he is starting for god's sake.

ATRAIN
05-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Cuban is a dumb ass. Why would Finley want to go back and choke in the first round.

bigFUNDAMENTAL
05-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Finley will retire as a Spur

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 10:22 AM
You are dreaming. You probably don't watch spurs games. You can't also compare Cuban to the spurs ownership. I don't believe any player would feel safe an secure overe there.

Is Finley expected to be the second best player on the team? If not, then YES expectations are lowered for Finley.

And after the first month of this season you're telling me that you thought Finley was making a great contribution to your team? I must have been watching alot more Spurs basketball than you.

Darkwaters
05-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Finley will retire as a Spur

Will the Mavs retire his jersey or is it too sinful for him to be a Spur (and likely win a championship or two with them)?

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Pretentious punk. Mavericks are done. Go away and be quiet.

Why? Because I'm right? Fuck you.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Is Finley expected to be the second best player on the team? If not, then YES expectations are lowered for Finley.

And yet, he's not expected to be that now on the Mavs... so why does Cuban want him back?

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Will the Mavs retire his jersey or is it too sinful for him to be a Spur (and likely win a championship or two with them)?

If the Mavericks and Cuban have any class or awareness of how far the organization has come and everything Finley did to bring that transformation about, they retire his jersey the day he finishes playing basketball.

BreezeHillBill

Don't like tamales, sushi breath?

monosylab1k
And yet, he's not expected to be that now on the Mavs... so why does Cuban want him back?

He won't be paying him second best player money anymore.

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Don't like tamales, sushi breath?

Tamales are great.

BacktoBasics
Seems like tampering to me

Findog
Don't you mean at home in front of the 17" RCA TV?

No, I don't. Any other questions?

BreezeHillBill
05-22-2007, 10:27 AM
If the Mavericks and Cuban have any class or awareness of how far the organization has come and everything Finley did to bring that transformation about, they retire his jersey the day he finishes playing basketball.

Fin's jersey will be hanging in SA, and his ring will be from SA.

Darkwaters

He has significantly lowered expectations. Finley is the fourth scoring option for the Spurs and even then doesn't always have to show up. Finley's numbers were pretty poor until several late free thows in the last game. But Oberto stepped up his game and really became another option, freeing up Finley from any obligations. Earlier in the season when Barry was firing on all cylinders Finley was further reduced.

monosylab1k

good for you.

Findog
05-22-2007, 10:28 AM

Why wouldn't he? He's a great role player at this stage of his career. He'd give you 20-25 good minutes a night in a sixth man role.

Findog
05-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Fin's jersey will be hanging in SA

Uh, no...go ahead and hang Rod Strickland, Terry Cummings and Jaren Jackson's jerseys too.

his ring will be from SA

Probably and I'm rooting for that this year, although half the Spurs fanbase being vindictive retards makes that hard at times. We'll see what Detroit has to say about that.

Darkwaters
05-22-2007, 10:33 AM

No way we retire Finley's jersey in SA. It makes no sense. Finley didn't join the Spurs until he was largely considered over the hill and was simply a role-player during his entire tenure. And Fin's legacy with the Spurs could be as short as 2 or 3 years depending on when he wants to retire.

The only way I see the Spurs considering retiring his number is if they win multiple championships with him on board and Finley has multiple "Big Shot Rob" type moments. But for that to happen Finley will likely have to resign with us and put-off any further aging or slowing down. Possible...but not likely.

The guy made his bread and butter as a Maverick. He should be retired as a Maverick. If C Webb won a championship with the Detroit this year and retired would Detroit retire his jersey? No, that is for the Sixers to do.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Why wouldn't he? He's a great role player at this stage of his career. He'd give you 20-25 good minutes a night in a sixth man role.

Uhh, I was saying he wouldn't be expected to be the 2nd best player on the Mavs now. (monosylab1k said that was the reason he was let go in the first place - he was not meeting expectations).

Even you admit he would be a 6th man with the Mavs.

So, what changed Cuban's mind? And how much is he willing to spend for Finley?

FromWayDowntown
05-22-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't know why Michael Finley would consider returning to Dallas after the way that he was treated by that organization and its fan base during the 2005-06 season. He's become a vital part of a team that consistently plays for titles and is greatly appreciated by his teammates, the organization, and its fans in San Antonio. Plus, he'd be a fool to opt-out of his contract at this point, since he can still collect another set of huge checks from Cuban while playing for Cube's biggest rival and, perhaps, wearing a championship ring that he will have earned if the Spurs get there.

And I think the tampering allegations are right. Even talking about the possibility of acquiring a player who is under contract with another team has generally been considered tampering. I'm at a loss to understand why Cuban would have considered himself immune from that rule in this case.

BlackFlagg
05-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Re: Tampering -- just Cuban trying to start more shit involving the Spurs.

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Uhh, I was saying he wouldn't be expected to be the 2nd best player on the Mavs now. (monosylab1k said that was the reason he was let go in the first place - he was not meeting expectations).

Even you admit he would be a 6th man with the Mavs.

Finley was getting paid second best player money (probably closer to best player money) but wasn't playing like the second best player on the team. He was completely unaggressive, played no defense, and his shooting was incredibly streaky. It made sense to let him go. If he played as well as he had earlier in his career, or the way he's playing in SA, in this second best player role, he would never have been let go in the first place.

Now in SA, Finley makes clutch shots, plays some defense, and plays a little more aggressive in a reduced role. In this new role, he can be very effective. It would make sense to bring him back in this new role if he even wanted to come back.

Findog
05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
monosylab1ksaid that was the reason he was let go in the first place - he was not meeting expectations

No, he was let go to save $50 million in luxury tax payments.

Probably the fact that Finley can no longer command $18 million per year for his services, unlike the last contract he signed under the old CBA, and his skillset and age rules out heavy starter's minutes.

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 10:42 AM
No, he was let go to save $50 million in luxury tax payments.

Yeah but if Finley had played his final year in Dallas the way he played earlier in his career and the way he's playing in SA now and was truly the second best player on the team, Cuban would have gladly eaten that 50 million. Finley's poor performance had alot to do with it.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Finley was getting paid second best player money (probably closer to best player money) but wasn't playing like the second best player on the team. He was completely unaggressive, played no defense, and his shooting was incredibly streaky. It made sense to let him go. If he played as well as he had earlier in his career, or the way he's playing in SA, in this second best player role, he would never have been let go in the first place.

I don't think even his play now warrants 17 mil a year. Do you?

Now in SA, Finley makes clutch shots, plays some defense, and plays a little more aggressive in a reduced role. In this new role, he can be very effective. It would make sense to bring him back in this new role if he even wanted to come back.

So, how much is Finley worth? Will Cuban spend more than he's worth out of guilt?

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't think even his play now warrants 17 mil a year. Do you?

San Antonio isn't paying him 17 mil a year tho. Cuban's gotta eat that money but the Spurs aren't paying him, or expecting him to perform, as a 17 mil a year player.

So, how much is Finley worth? Will Cuban spend more than he's worth out of guilt?

I'd say he's worth MLE money but no more than that.

Borosai
05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
My question is will Finley retire after his current contract, or will he try to play for a few more years into his late 30's?

If he wins a championship (or two), why would he want to play again after that? I'm sure the Spurs won't resign him at that age, and most other teams wouldn't be as appealing at that point. He wouldn't need the money. He might as well go out on top, right?

Findog
05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah but if Finley had played his final year in Dallas the way he played earlier in his career and the way he's playing in SA now and was truly the second best player on the team, Cuban would have gladly eaten that 50 million. Finley's poor performance had alot to do with it.

The way he is playing in San Antonio now is not 2nd star status. He gets open looks from the 3-point line because Duncan gets doubled and Parker/Manu can penetrate and kick. At best he is the Spurs' fourth-best player and for a good portion of the year he was getting fewer minutes than Barry, IIRC. I don't watch the Spurs as much as the Mavs but it doesn't look like he drives to the basket as much as in his prime. The funny irony is that he peaked in 99-00 and he signed his extension one year after that.

ponky
05-22-2007, 10:47 AM

Exactly. Hindsight brings out the *smarts* in a lot of people around here, same people that were dissing him and calling him worthless here so don't talk shit about booing him in Dallas like he's always been embraced by Spurs fans. Anyway, I don't recall much *frosty* friction between Cuban/Finley and Finley is still well respected and loved by true Mavs fans who realize that his departure came about thanks to the luxury tax. It's easy to talk shit like the Mavs don't respect him but when you pay dollar for dollar for a guy who wasn't producing much the year before he left, then you'd be singing a different tune. That said, I will be very happy for Finley should he finally get his ring, no matter if he's not a current Maverick, he will always be a Maverick to most of us that watched him bring this team back from the thinner years. As fans, it's easy for us to sit back and root for our teams, diss other teams, hate on players, etc but this isn't always the case for players and staff members who have been together for a long time, it's not like they suddenly become enemies despite whatever fans like to imagine about them. Anyway, it's odd for Cuban to be making this statement, I'm more interested in wtf he was thinking?!??!?!!

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 10:48 AM
I'd say he's worth MLE money but no more than that.

Then the only real question is whether the Spurs match.

Equal money, Finley stays with Spurs. (or retires).

Oh, and ponky, please don't compare posters here to Arena fans in Dallas.

Posters here want to fire Pop after every loss. I've never heard Finley booed in SA....

We were lucky to get Finley for cheap. Even the most idiotic Spurs fan has to admit he's worth a couple mil, even when he sucks. :rolleyes

Findog
05-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Hindsight brings out the *smarts* in a lot of people around here, same people that were dissing him and calling him worthless here so don't talk shit about booing him in Dallas like he's always been embraced by Spurs fans.

Yeah, we should bump the Finley sucks threads. Some Spurs fans are acting like he can do no wrong.

Anyway, I don't recall much *frosty* friction between Cuban/Finley and Finley is still well respected and loved by true Mavs fans who realize that his departure came about thanks to the luxury tax.

True again. It was purely a business decision. The bandwagoners booed him last year but who cares? No franchise or fanbase wants to be defined by 14 yr old girls wearing pink Tim Duncan or Dirk jerseys.

That said, I will be very happy for Finley should he finally get his ring, no matter if he's not a current Maverick, he will always be a Maverick to most of us that watched him bring this team back from the thinner years

Yeah, Findog is the only reason for me to root for the Spurs this postseason. And don't deny it, the Spurs have a sizeable frontrunner segment in their fanbase that will go away when Duncan retires, they're obnoxious as hell and in my darker moments I smile about what Detroit might show against San Antonio.

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 10:54 AM
The way he is playing in San Antonio now is not 2nd star status. He gets open looks from the 3-point line because Duncan gets doubled and Parker/Manu can penetrate and kick. At best he is the Spurs' fourth-best player and for a good portion of the year he was getting fewer minutes than Barry, IIRC. I don't watch the Spurs as much as the Mavs but it doesn't look like he drives to the basket as much as in his prime. The funny irony is that he peaked in 99-00 and he signed his extension one year after that.

Yeah he's not 2nd star or playing like one in San Antonio, but I was more referring to his whole attitude on the court. He just seemed lifeless in his final year in Dallas, jacking up jumpers and being a statue on defense. Now in SA, even if he's not as aggressive as he was in his prime, he just has alot of life in his legs and he's giving a crap on defense. I was more referring to his SA performace in the sense that he seems rejuvenated even if his body isn't at it's peak.

If he played with this same intensity during his final year in Dallas, and was alot more consistent and was truly the 2nd best player, he would never have been released.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah, Findog is the only reason for me to root for the Spurs this postseason. And don't deny it, the Spurs have a sizeable frontrunner segment in their fanbase that will go away when Duncan retires, they're obnoxious as hell and in my darker moments I smile about what Detroit might show against San Antonio.

I'm starting to think the Spurs might leave SA when Duncan retires...

admit it, you'll miss the rivalry.

ponky
05-22-2007, 10:55 AM

they should

mavsfan1000
05-22-2007, 10:55 AM

monosylab1k speaks the truth. Fin was a dissapointment in his last season as a maverick.

Findog
05-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm starting to think the Spurs might leave SA when Duncan retires...

admit it, you'll miss the rivalry.

Yeah, the Spurs were a measuring stick in the leaner years, and we messed up the reunion in the conference finals, so sorry about that! When Tim Duncan said that was the best series he'd ever played in, and he had three rings when he made that remark, it's rare to see both teams play basketball at such a high level. Spurs-Lakers was like that too.

FromWayDowntown
05-22-2007, 10:58 AM
True again. It was purely a business decision. The bandwagoners booed him last year but who cares? No franchise or fanbase wants to be defined by 14 yr old girls wearing pink Tim Duncan or Dirk jerseys.

I don't know about that. I was at Game 3 of the Mavs/Spurs series last year, sitting in the upper deck, and Mavs' fans were booing Finley pretty lustily all night long. That was well before any of the Terry stuff started. I thought it was a pretty bush move by those who were there.

ponky
05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Then the only real question is whether the Spurs match.

Equal money, Finley stays with Spurs. (or retires).

Oh, and ponky, please don't compare posters here to Arena fans in Dallas.

Posters here want to fire Pop after every loss. I've never heard Finley booed in SA....

We were lucky to get Finley for cheap. Even the most idiotic Spurs fan has to admit he's worth a couple mil, even when he sucks. :rolleyes

Oh that's right, Spurs fans don't go to their games or even sell out playoff games, my bad. Spin it anyway you want, there are plenty of lukewarm Spurs fans even if the more fanatical side of your fanbase exists in this forum. People that boo Avery in San Antonio are the same kind of people that boo Finley in Dallas, casual fans who don't appreciate a guy for the time he played with the team.

Nathan Explosion
05-22-2007, 11:05 AM
I know I was frustrated with Finley at the beginning of the season. But unlike many others who wanted him gone, I knew he'd break out of it. Plus, Barry was on fire so Finley had time to get his flow back. I also knew that we needed him to step up in the playoffs like he did against the Mavs last year.

You can't say that there wasn't any malicious intent when Finley left because while it was a business decision, Cuban was the one encouraging fans to boo Finley when he returned, as if he scorned the club and not the other way around.

Cuban just needs his name in the public now that his Mavs are out, so he went as far as to tamper with another team to get attention. If Finely wants to go back to the Mavs, that's his decision. But for now, he's a Spur (this year and next), and he's helping in a big way with his timely 3 point shooting. That's all I care about right now.

samikeyp
05-22-2007, 11:08 AM

Depends on who is making the tamales. :)

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 11:08 AM
As I said earlier, bottom line, if Cuban and Holt offer Finley equal money, Finley will either stay a Spur or retire.

Book it.

Findog
05-22-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't know about that. I was at Game 3 of the Mavs/Spurs series last year, sitting in the upper deck, and Mavs' fans were booing Finley pretty lustily all night long. That was well before any of the Terry stuff started. I thought it was a pretty bush move by those who were there.

I would never do something like that. But I know what you're talking about -- whenever I attend a Mavericks game, I want to kick half the people I see in the teeth. I'm so ashamed at some of the people that have come crawling out of the woodwork to see a winner -- go back to Texas Stadium where you belong.

Also, does anybody have some old Dallas Chapparal links? Google images don't return anything, and the following is what I've been doing to keep myself entertained since I have about a good solid 30 minutes of work to do everyday at the govt agency I work for. Your tax dollars in action!

http://flickr.com/photos/fashionable_male/sets/72157600237264094/

ponky
05-22-2007, 11:13 AM

lol, lots of those people aren't hardcore fans so who cares? i hear people screaming all kinds of crazy shit at the current mavs roster, guys who think that the only person who should ever be shooting is a white german dude wearing #41, people cussing out mavericks players when they make a mistake, etc. people can be pretty fucking rude at games and even though i'm a season ticketholder, at times i just prefer watching games at home where i can tivo, drink cheaper beer and stare at a huge screen without the idiots around me. as for san antonio, the fans there at least don't diss their own guys so i'll give them credit for that but they have other problems which i could list, having gone to plenty of games at the att. san antonians love their spurs right now and it's easy to see why with all the success that franchise has had of late...dallasites like the mavs alright but they have lots of sports teams to choose from and it doesn't help in curbing such fickle *casual* fan ways.

ashbeeigh
05-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Attention whoring yes. Tampering Yes.

Mark Cuban is so pissed that his team is out earlier that he feels he needs to get on the ball to get a better team together for next year. He sees what Pop has done with what his franchise had in Finley and he wants it back. Since he's Mark Cuban he's going to try to get Finley's attention in the most annoying and most illegal manner, by "text messaging" him. My god. What a douche bag. What a douche bag. That was my first response when I saw this thread. He's just angry. He and the Mavs need a crying corner. A time out in a sense.

Other teams have had their way with the coach of the year, the wonder boys, the MVP, the Dallas Mavericks, they did peak too soon and the owner is out to see that everyone sees that the Mavs still are the coach of the year, the wonder boys, and the MVP...oh and Findog...even if it does mean this whole tampering thing. I have no idea what the rules and regulations are for owners, GMs, coaches, etc for contacting other players about the next contract year, but this clearly is out of bounds...contacting him directly is unneccessary. Calling him out in the press is lame, and Cuban like. But, will it get to Finley and the Spurs? They're above that. Well above that.

The Spurs can weather all Mark Cuban's advances and seductive moves in all the same ways they have weathered the "tainted" talk, by playing the game and being in the moment.

Put on your big boy pants, Mark Cuban. It's going to be a hell of a June.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 11:19 AM
He sees what Pop has done with what his franchise had in Finley and he wants it back.

The sad thing is, Finley is not the answer to the Mavericks woes, IMO.

But that's a great question for Mavfans: Do the current Mavs win a Championship with the addition of Finley?

ashbeeigh
05-22-2007, 11:22 AM

But that's a great question for Mavfans: Do the current Mavs win a Championship with the addition of Finley?

True, true. Does Cuban see AJ' coaching Finley in the same way Pop did so he can have the same type of player? I just don't see them getting the same type of response without the same type of "core around him, our "big 3," t this stage of his career. Is Finley just part of the puzzle to a championship for them? I'm not a Mavs fan, so I can't answer these questions.

ponky
05-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Attention whoring yes. Tampering Yes.

Mark Cuban is so pissed that his team is out earlier that he feels he needs to get on the ball to get a better team together for next year. He sees what Pop has done with what his franchise had in Finley and he wants it back. Since he's Mark Cuban he's going to try to get Finley's attention in the most annoying and most illegal manner, by "text messaging" him. My god. What a douche bag. What a douche bag. That was my first response when I saw this thread. He's just angry. He and the Mavs need a crying corner. A time out in a sense.

The Warriors have had their way with the coach of the year, the wonder boys, the MVP, the Dallas Mavericks, they did peak too soon and the owner is out to see that everyone sees that the Mavs still are the coach of the year, the wonder boys, and the MVP...oh and Findog...even if it does mean this whole tampering thing. I have no idea what the rules and regulations are for owners, GMs, coaches, etc for contacting other players about the next contract year, but this clearly is out of bounds...contacting him directly is unneccessary. Calling him out in the press is lame, and Cuban like. But, will it get to Finley and the Spurs? They're above that. Well above that.

The Spurs can weather all Mark Cuban's advances and seductive moves in all the same ways they have weathered the "tainted" talk, by playing the game and being in the moment.

Put on your big boy pants, Mark Cuban. It's going to be a hell of a June.

ummm, as an owner, he probably should be working on getting the mavericks a better pg so yeah, i don't think there's much shock and awe that he's going to try and work on tweaking problems here and there. i'd be pissed if he was actually taking a time out and not trying to resolve the weaknesses that the mavericks have for next season. besides, it's not like this is on the front page (or even nba page) of any major sports media i've read so let's not exagerrate about the whole thing. this whole article is probably based on a quick question and answer with cuban about nash and finley and who he's rooting for, yadda yadda yadda.

mabber
05-22-2007, 11:25 AM
"San Antone"

Many outsiders make this mistake, but in Cuban's case, I'm pretty sure he's aware of it and is being malicious. :)

I was unaware that saying or writing San Antone instead of San Antonio offended people that live there. I've always said San Antone as I thought it sounded cooler. Why does that bother people that live there?

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 11:25 AM

No. Finley would be nice to have but, if anything, he becomes part of the "jump shot happy" problem in Dallas.

His ability to hit a clutch shot would be a great addition though. And now he actually plays a little defense. He would be a significant improvement over devean george or greg buckner, but he's not the solution.

GrandeDavid
05-22-2007, 11:27 AM
After the rude, low class reception he got in games at Dallas last season, I would hope he wouldn't consider a return. Those people booing must not be too smart since they evidently didn't get that it was the team who waived. It wasn't like he asked for a release or trade.

FromWayDowntown
05-22-2007, 11:29 AM
lol, lots of those people aren't hardcore fans so who cares? i hear people screaming all kinds of crazy shit at the current mavs roster, guys who think that the only person who should ever be shooting is a white german dude wearing #41, people cussing out mavericks players when they make a mistake, etc. people can be pretty fucking rude at games and even though i'm a season ticketholder, at times i just prefer watching games at home where i can tivo, drink cheaper beer and stare at a huge screen without the idiots around me. as for san antonio, the fans there at least don't diss their own guys so i'll give them credit for that but they have other problems which i could list, having gone to plenty of games at the att. san antonians love their spurs right now and it's easy to see why with all the success that franchise has had of late...dallasites like the mavs alright but they have lots of sports teams to choose from and it doesn't help in curbing such fickle *casual* fan ways.

I thought the booing for Finley was pretty pervasive, which suggests to me one of two possibilities: (1) I happened upon a playoff game that happened to be infiltrated by a lot of bandwagoners who don't have a clue about the NBA; or (2) Mavs' fans, by and large, don't get it. Either possibility casts Mavs fans in a pretty bad light.

I consider the situations, as a Spurs fan, that I've faced with old Spurs coming back to San Antonio. Almost universally, players who were on our great teams are greeted with loud applause when they return to San Antonio. Spurs fans, by and large, get the history and appreciate that things happen that cause players to move on. If Finley moves on at some point, I suspect that he'll still be applauded when he comes through San Antonio.

As for the "other problems" that you won't name, I'll be happy to get into a pissing match with you comparing Mavs fans in Dallas with Spurs fans in San Antonio. I'm almost 100% certain I'll win. My sole experience in Dallas was made miserable by boorish behavior (including some jackass spitting on the 13-year-old daughter of a friend of mine) and by epithets that would have made Hell's Angels blush. Given how poorly we were treated for having done nothing other than dare to watch a basketball game while wearing the colors of the opposing team, I wasn't at all suprised at the ridiculous manner in which Mavs' fans treated Michael Finley.

San Antonians have always loved their Spurs. In part, that's true because few franchises have had the kind of success that the Spurs have had since the merger. Save and except for a couple of seasons, the Spurs have been a playoff team on a consistent basis since 1976 (4 playoff misses since 1976: 1984, 1987, 1989, and 1997) and a title contender over long stretches of their existence (the late 70's in the East, the early 80's, the mid-90's, the Duncan era). And we've been undoubtedly fortunate that our down times have been rewarded with 2 of the greatest players and best human beings to ever play the game at this level. But even in lean years, Spurs fans have been there supporting their team. What looms in the near future -- what are almost certain to be some very lean years -- will be a test. But even if our franchise goes into a Warrior-like swoon, fans will still come to see the Spurs.

ponky
05-22-2007, 11:29 AM

i don't think he ever posed the, imo, unreal possibility of finley's return, in those terms. sometimes players want to return to play for the team they spent most of their careers with just to retire with that franchise, not necessarily to be a make or break series turning baller. malone wanted to go back and play with the jazz before retiring, zo went back to the heat (that obviously worked out VERY well for him), Pippen returned to Chicago, but i don't really see finley returning to play for the mavs if the spurs go on to win a ring this year, and probably not even if they don't.

Agloco
05-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Finleys only response should be..............

http://www.blog.ni9e.com/archives/middle_finger.jpg

http://www.myspacecomedy.com/images/funny/kid-middle-finger.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~daschor/clipart/bush_middle_finger.png

ATXSPUR
05-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Retard! :toast

monosylab1k
as for san antonio, the fans there at least don't diss their own guys so i'll give them credit for that but they have other problems which i could list, having gone to plenty of games at the att. san antonians love their spurs right now and it's easy to see why with all the success that franchise has had of late

i really don't see how this is a problem. booing your own guys if they are playing like shit is completely justified in my opinion. when i go to games, i make it a point to boo erick dampier's useless money-sucking ass every time he checks in. if these guys are playing like shit they deserve nothing more. booing in itself is not wrong at all, and part of the fun of going to a game.

it only becomes a problem when people are disrespectful to other fans watching the game, and when they boo for completely wrong/ignorant reasons. booing Finley was completely classless and one of the most embarrassing moments in Mavericks history as far as i'm concerned.

ponky
As for the "other problems" that you won't name, I'll be happy to get into a pissing match with you comparing Mavs fans in Dallas with Spurs fans in San Antonio. I'm almost 100% certain I'll win. My sole experience in Dallas was made miserable by boorish behavior (including some jackass spitting on the 13-year-old daughter of a friend of mine) and by epithets that would have made Hell's Angels blush. Given how poorly we were treated for having done nothing other than dare to watch a basketball game while wearing the colors of the opposing team, I wasn't at all suprised at the ridiculous manner in which Mavs' fans treated Michael Finley.

Please, I've heard about the spitting incident a thousand times just like I'm sure you've heard of my numerous retellings of the Spurs fan calling Najera a "dumb spic" and not letting up about his shitty play because well, what do you expect from a "dumb spic" Also, I'm sure you've heard of the incidents I went through last season during the Spurs/Mavs series when two drunk hicks spat in my face because they were so fucking pissed off about a stupid loss...or getting stuck in an elevator with a bunch of Spurs fans cussing and screaming a couple of inches from my face on the way down. Oh, but I've heard the defensive response from some here: "Yeah, like those attacks were unprovoked." Heads up, it's not just Dallas, it's not just San Antonio. It may feel that way because the tension between both teams has heated up recently, but it really isn't "JUST the Mavs fans" just like I know it's not "JUST the Spurs fans" who h ave morons in their fanbase. I'm sure there are fans of every sports team that has gone to a different arena and experienced such crap, try not to let your distaste for the Mavs and their fans belie your judgment into thinking that it's only in the AAC where such incidents occur.

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 11:42 AM
i don't think hardly anything that goes on with fans in Dallas or San Antonio can really be considered "boorish" behavior. some of it may be unfortunate, but try going to a soccer match in Europe.

ponky
05-22-2007, 11:44 AM
i really don't see how this is a problem. booing your own guys if they are playing like shit is completely justified in my opinion. when i go to games, i make it a point to boo erick dampier's useless money-sucking ass every time he checks in. if these guys are playing like shit they deserve nothing more. booing in itself is not wrong at all, and part of the fun of going to a game.

it only becomes a problem when people are disrespectful to other fans watching the game, and when they boo for completely wrong/ignorant reasons. booing Finley was completely classless and one of the most embarrassing moments in Mavericks history as far as i'm concerned.

because i don't want to hear the two big dudes next to me, who are also season ticketholders yelling "kobe, you fucking rapist" or "pass the ball you fucking retard" or booing whenever stack enters the game all night AND all season long

and yeah, i agree, booing finley was classless, i felt so bad for him but then again, i'm not necessarily surprised because there are some asshole fans out there

Agloco
05-22-2007, 11:45 AM
i don't think hardly anything that goes on with fans in Dallas or San Antonio can really be considered "boorish" behavior. some of it may be unfortunate, but try going to a soccer match in Europe.

Yeppers............ even the kids get in on the act over there.

http://www.myspacecomedy.com/images/funny/kid-middle-finger.jpg

mabber
05-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Please, I've heard about the spitting incident a thousand times just like I'm sure you've heard of my numerous retellings of the Spurs fan calling Najera a "dumb spic" and not letting up about his shitty play because well, what do you expect from a "dumb spic" Also, I'm sure you've heard of the incidents I went through last season during the Spurs/Mavs series when two drunk hicks spat in my face because they were so fucking pissed off about a stupid loss...or getting stuck in an elevator with a bunch of Spurs fans cussing and screaming a couple of inches from my face on the way down. Oh, but I've heard the defensive response from some here: "Yeah, like those attacks were unprovoked." Heads up, it's not just Dallas, it's not just San Antonio. It may feel that way because the tension between both teams has heated up recently, but it really isn't "JUST the Mavs fans" just like I know it's not "JUST the Spurs fans" who h ave morons in their fanbase. I'm sure there are fans of every sports team that has gone to a different arena and experienced such crap, try not to let your distaste for the Mavs and their fans belie your judgment into thinking that it's only in the AAC where such incidents occur.

I agree. I've written this before but I find it amazing that people draw a conclusion on an entire fan base from one or even two unfortunate incidents. I've had stuff thrown at me in San Antonio at two separate games and I certainly didn't do anything to warrant those actions. I don't think Spurs fans are terrible because of a few morons at those particular games :rolleyes

ponky
05-22-2007, 11:50 AM

that's different though, it's expected of fans and they are way more drunk and buzzed before the game than american fans are at basketball games and they REALLY are all into the game, not just there for show and it's a much larger crowd of 100K so half the time you can't even tell what the hell is going on or hear anything coherent, at least i never could

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 11:55 AM

And after the first month of this season you're telling me that you thought Finley was making a great contribution to your team? I must have been watching alot more Spurs basketball than you.

Finley was already making a good contribution to the spurs last year. nothing has changed. Dallas made a mistake by letting him go. Hence, the reason Cuban wants him back.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Why? Because I'm right? Fuck you.

Mavs are gone for real. Whether you accept it or not. They can't have the same roster next year. Everybody knows that. And Dirk sucks. He can shoot 3s but have smaller players dictating what he's going to do next.

Findog
05-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Dallas made a mistake by letting him go. Hence, the reason Cuban wants him back.

Mavericks saved $50 million in luxury tax and they had no control over his destination. And Finley hasn't helped the Spurs beat Dallas, nor would he have helped against Golden State, so I don't see how it was a mistake. And take it from me and my username, I'm the biggest Fin fan around.

saporvida
05-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh that's right, Spurs fans don't go to their games or even sell out playoff games, my bad.

we might have a few empty seats in the house but yall got thousands... :lol

how's that playoff run going for your mavs? oh wait... 8th seed, that's right i almost forgot.

People that boo Avery in San Antonio are the same kind of people that boo Finley in Dallas, casual fans who don't appreciate a guy for the time he played with the team.

i boo avery but then again i never liked his preaching ass to begin with. didn't like him as a spur so i don't know why i'd like him now. mediocre p.o.s. he was...

Findog
05-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Mavs are gone for real. Whether you accept it or not.

Dirk is 29. Howard is 26. Harris is 25. Diop is 23 or 24. Golden State was a 4 or 5 seed after the trade, that series was NOT David vs. Goliath. Mavs window of opportunity with the current group is still open.

They can't have the same roster next year.

Well duh, every roster undergoes some turnover year to year. And like 28 other teams, Dallas has to figure out ways to get better.

And Dirk sucks. He can shoot 3s but have smaller players dictating what he's going to do next.

Jeez, he certainly sucked against Golden State, but I would think Spurs fans would know better than to write the guy off. He's owned your team.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Mavericks saved $50 million in luxury tax and they had no control over his destination. And Finley hasn't helped the Spurs beat Dallas, nor would he have helped against Golden State, so I don't see how it was a mistake. And take it from me and my username, I'm the biggest Fin fan around.

Granted. He didn't play well in that particular series.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Jeez, he certainly sucked against Golden State, but I would think Spurs fans would know better than to write the guy off. He's owned your team.

Howard and Terry owned our team. Not Dirk.

ponky
05-22-2007, 12:11 PM

Wow, such b.s. all thanks to the Warriors...please, pray that they keep us out again next year, you'll need it with all the amnesia you have from the Spurs/Mavs series last season.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Wow, such b.s. all thanks to the Warriors...please, pray that they keep us out again next year, you'll need it with all the amnesia you have from the Spurs/Mavs series last season.

Looking forward to it.

Findog
05-22-2007, 12:12 PM

37 points and 15 rebounds in Game 7 says otherwise. But alas, that was last year, and this is this year:

http://www.cocs.com/poser/gallery/StarWarsEmpireStrikesBackTeaser.jpg

ashbeeigh
05-22-2007, 12:15 PM
ummm, as an owner, he probably should be working on getting the mavericks a better pg so yeah, i don't think there's much shock and awe that he's going to try and work on tweaking problems here and there. i'd be pissed if he was actually taking a time out and not trying to resolve the weaknesses that the mavericks have for next season.

I never said I was questioning his moves as an owner, you should reread my response. I questioned the way he has gone about the moves, which I believe is how this whole thread started.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 12:15 PM
37 points and 15 rebounds in Game 7 says otherwise. But alas, that was last year, and this is this year:

You are talking about one game, man. It was really Terry and Howard that dismantled the spurs throughout the series. Spurs just didn't have anything to stop them. I can have Ginobili scoring 35 points and 10 rebounds one single game and still lose the series. Or have Tim Duncan getting double-doubles every game and still lose the series and then come to you and tell you TD owned your face but we still lost. Makes no sense.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 12:16 PM

So, again, why does Cuban want him back?

I'm honestly curious. We all agree Finley will not win Dallas a Championships. We all agree he's not worth more than the minimum.

So, WTF is Cuban on?!?

zrinkill
05-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Mav fans need to piss off ...... you lost the best player you ever had ..... he is a Spur now ......

You disrespected him ....... and he will get a ring before your pathetic organization.

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

and it will bother ALL of you ..... even those of you pretending that you are rooting for him .....

Findog
05-22-2007, 12:19 PM
So, again, why does Cuban want him back?

I'm honestly curious. We all agree Finley will not win Dallas a Championships. We all agree he's not worth more than the minimum.

So, WTF is Cuban on?!?

What, you don't think he's an upgrade over Greg Buckner or Devean George? We're not penciling him in for the starting two-guard spot.

I'm guessing it's some combination of him being able to contribute and sentimental reasons. If we want to beat Golden State or Phoenix (another team we would've lost to if we had had to face them), we need a back to the basket low-post scorer or a PG that can penetrate and create shots for others. Don't be surprised if Jason Kidd is a Maverick next year and Terry/Harris are toiling away for the Nots.

mbass
05-22-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't know why Michael Finley would consider returning to Dallas after the way that he was treated by that organization and its fan base during the 2005-06 season. He's become a vital part of a team that consistently plays for titles and is greatly appreciated by his teammates, the organization, and its fans in San Antonio. Plus, he'd be a fool to opt-out of his contract at this point, since he can still collect another set of huge checks from Cuban while playing for Cube's biggest rival and, perhaps, wearing a championship ring that he will have earned if the Spurs get there.

And I think the tampering allegations are right. Even talking about the possibility of acquiring a player who is under contract with another team has generally been considered tampering. I'm at a loss to understand why Cuban would have considered himself immune from that rule in this case.

I doubt if Finley would return to Dallas - his house here in Dallas is up for sale.

angel_luv
05-22-2007, 12:21 PM
:lol Fin Dog going back to the Mavericks would make as much sense as a player in the NBA requesting to go back to the D-League.

I agree with those who say Cuban is just a spotlight hungry fool.

Findog
05-22-2007, 12:26 PM
You are talking about one game, man. It was really Terry and Howard that dismantled the spurs throughout the series. Spurs just didn't have anything to stop them. I can have Ginobili scoring 35 points and 10 rebounds one single game and still lose the series. Or have Tim Duncan getting double-doubles every game and still lose the series and then come to you and tell you TD owned your face but we still lost. Makes no sense.

It's really all three of those guys. How many times have we seen Dirk set up at the foul-line area and nobody on the Spurs can do anything about it? If they double him, Howard will cut to the basket for an easy deuce. If they play him straight up, he'll just shoot over Bowen, Finley or whoever the Spurs throw out there.

Part of why we lost to GS is that they put five 6'7 wings out on the floor and we don't have a low-post beast to punish them for it. Against the Spurs, however, Bowen can guard either Howard or Dirk but he can't do both. Duncan will get into foul trouble if he's put on Dirk and Oberto and Finley can't stop him either. Terry and Harris give the Spurs fits, Harris with his ability to get to the rim against a team that is otherwise very solid when it comes to interior defense, and Terry with his shooting. But against Golden State, Davis and Richardson are faster, stronger and bigger. So it is what it is.

Whatever moves Dallas makes this year have to be against the backdrop of knowing that the Spurs are going to be there every year of Duncan's prime and who knows if the Warriors can build on this playoff run? Barnes, Pietrus are up for FA and Nelson is making noises about retiring, and Davis is talking contract extension even though he can't stay healthy. I believe S-Jax's contract is up after next year, same as Finley, and I fully expect to see him return to the Spurs for the 08-09 season. With Diop and Dampier, we defend Duncan about as well as anybody does. At the very least, we can get away without doubling him the entire game. But since those guys don't have any offensive game and are limited in their effectiveness against up-tempo smallball, we're going to have to get points in the paint and good shot opportunities from somewhere else. Hence my relief that the Nets couldn't make it to the conference Finals in the Least and might be of a mind to start over. Don't be surprised if Kidd is a Maverick again.

saporvida
05-22-2007, 12:29 PM

i agree... dirk the big bully of the spurs? hahaha. give me a break.

poor mav bandwagon fans don't know shit and always talking out their asses.

2006: Game1
dirk: 20pts
duncan: 31pts

2006: Game2
dirk: 21pts
duncan: 28pts

2006: Game3
dirk: 27pts
duncan: 35pts

2006: Game4
dirk: 28pts

2006: Game5
dirk: 31pts
duncan: 36pts

2006: Game6
dirk: 24pts
duncan: 26pts

2006: Game7
dirk: 37pts
duncan: 41pts

who owned who?

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
What, you don't think he's an upgrade over Greg Buckner or Devean George? We're not penciling him in for the starting two-guard spot.

I'm guessing it's some combination of him being able to contribute and sentimental reasons. If we want to beat Golden State or Phoenix (another team we would've lost to if we had had to face them), we need a back to the basket low-post scorer or a PG that can penetrate and create shots for others. Don't be surprised if Jason Kidd is a Maverick next year and Terry/Harris are toiling away for the Nots.

If Dirk couldn't win with Nash, he sure as hell can't win with Kidd!

Man, I honestly don't know what Dallas can do. They've had their chances, and it's so hard to get to the Finals in today's NBA.

mbass
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM

I went to all three Spurs-Mavs playoff games at ACC last year and the boos for Finley were continuous - I had to fill in the people around me that he did not leave of his own free will but that he was FIRED. I was disgusted with his treatment by the Mavs fans.

Findog
05-22-2007, 12:31 PM
i agree... dirk the big bully of the spurs? hahaha. give me a break.

poor mav bandwagon fans don't know shit and always talking out their asses.

2006: Game1
dirk: 20pts

2006: Game2
dirk: 21pts
duncan: 28pts

2006: Game3
dirk: 27pts
duncan: 35pts

2006: Game4
dirk: 28pts

2006: Game5
dirk: 31pts
duncan: 36pts

2006: Game6
dirk: 24pts
duncan: 26pts

2006: Game7
dirk: 37pts
duncan: 41pts

who owned who?

They both had a great series. Neither team had an answer for the other's superstar. I think everybody agrees that Duncan is a better player than Dirk. So what's your point?

mbass
05-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Oh that's right, Spurs fans don't go to their games or even sell out playoff games, my bad. Spin it anyway you want, there are plenty of lukewarm Spurs fans even if the more fanatical side of your fanbase exists in this forum. People that boo Avery in San Antonio are the same kind of people that boo Finley in Dallas, casual fans who don't appreciate a guy for the time he played with the team.

Sorry but I've been to Mavs games in San Antonio and the Spurs do not boo Avery.

Findog
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
If Dirk couldn't win with Nash, he sure as hell can't win with Kidd!

Man, I honestly don't know what Dallas can do. They've had their chances, and it's so hard to get to the Finals in today's NBA.

Kidd is a pretty good defender and a trio of him, Dirk and Howard, with Diop and Dampier to protect the rim is pretty formidable. Harris and Terry telegraph their passes and they don't create good shot opportunities for their teammates. Kidd is a huge upgrade over either of them. Only problem with Terry gone is that now you need an outside shooter, but we can probably get a Steve Kerr type for the MLE. As for Dirk and Nash together, they are both a lot better than when they played together. The Mavs also didn't have any interior defense whatsoever to speak of when Nash was here.

Even if we left the team alone, I would be fine with that. Phoenix is going to shake things up for financial reasons and it's premature to say that the Warriors are back to being perennial playoff contenders. They have a number of FA's and Nellie may not come back. The Spurs however are going to be there every year and we match up to you guys in the same way that the Warriors match up to us. I'd rather construct a roster to beat San Antonio (which is what we did) as opposed to blowing things up so we can beat a team like Golden State.

MadDog73
05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
I'd rather construct a roster to beat San Antonio (which is what we did) as opposed to blowing things up so we can beat a team like Golden State.

Fair enough. I'm probably biased against Kidd, because of the whole Parker vs Kidd debacle.

Agloco
05-22-2007, 12:45 PM
If Phoenix is shaking things up, perhaps the Spurs should try to get in on a little Matrix action eh? Seems he might be a good replacement for Bowen.

Won't happen, but I can dream right?

Findog
05-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Fair enough. I'm probably biased against Kidd, because of the whole Parker vs Kidd debacle.

Don't get me wrong, the Warriors just gave the league an entire blueprint on how you beat Dallas, and other teams are going to try and utilize. Some of what Golden State did can't be replicated because of the unique personnel they have, the lift they got from their homecrowds and they just happened to catch fire and play their best ball of the season at the right time. But the Mavs are going to see more zone, more smallball, and they had better learn how to deal with it.

I don't think we would beat the Suns w/ Amare in the playoffs because they give us the same kind of fits. Since we can't move Dampier's contract very easily and both he and Diop have proven useful against San Antonio, we're going to have to go in a different direction as opposed to getting a back to the basket scorer. We need a distributing PG - Harris and Terry aren't it.

michaelwcho
05-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Part of why we lost to GS is that they put five 6'7 wings out on the floor and we don't have a low-post beast to punish them for it. Against the Spurs, however, Bowen can guard either Howard or Dirk but he can't do both. Duncan will get into foul trouble if he's put on Dirk and Oberto and Finley can't stop him either. Terry and Harris give the Spurs fits, Harris with his ability to get to the rim against a team that is otherwise very solid when it comes to interior defense, and Terry with his shooting. But against Golden State, Davis and Richardson are faster, stronger and bigger. So it is what it is.
Good post. From personnel to coaching,Dallas was put together expressly to beat SA. when they ran into GS, they just weren't able to adjust.

ehz33satx
05-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Re: Tampering -- just Cuban trying to start more shit involving the Spurs.

Just Cuban trying to keep his name and the Mavs name in the news. No big deal. Also I seriously doubt Finley would leave this classy and winning organization for the Mavs, who are the complete opposite. I am sure he would rather go out a winner.

monosylab1k
05-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry, this will be a very unpopular opinion, but I think trading for Jason Kidd would be a disaster. Don't get me wrong, Kidd is spectacular and he will help us in many ways, but an aging PG who could break down at any moment is not what Dallas needs.

Additionally, Kidd & Dirk will NEVER work out. Nobody respects Kidd's shot (or his ability to get to the hoop), and because of that, Dirk will continue to see double teams and fronts even with Kidd out there. Unless you're expecting Dirk to start slashing to the basket (i have better hopes for Transformers The Movie winning Best Picture at the Oscars) then Kidd is going to have alot more trouble distributing the ball as effectively as has in the past with guys like Jefferson, Carter, and K-Mart.

I'd much rather make a trade to move up in the draft and roll the dice on a guy like Mike Conley Jr. than use those same trading chips in the hopes that Kidd's body will hold up long enough to maybe win a title.

ehz33satx
05-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Last I heard, Cuban was suing My Lil' Pony for infringing on the Mavs copy rights!

Findog
05-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I'd much rather make a trade to move up in the draft and roll the dice on a guy like Mike Conley Jr. than use those same trading chips in the hopes that Kidd's body will hold up long enough to maybe win a title.

Or Acie Law! "That's what I do! That's what I do!"

saporvida
05-22-2007, 01:01 PM
They both had a great series. Neither team had an answer for the other's superstar. I think everybody agrees that Duncan is a better player than Dirk. So what's your point?

my point is dirk owns no one, nothing, nada...

not any one team(especially not the spurs), not a ring, and definitely not that spurs/mavs series! if dirk owns anything it's that bunk ass mvp award that he got out of pitty, that bs 2006 wcf banner he got out of pitty, and that hasselhoff album he got from sucking david's dick.

SpursFanInCO
05-22-2007, 01:01 PM
When is Finley's contract with the Spurs up?

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Kidd is a pretty good defender and a trio of him, Dirk and Howard, with Diop and Dampier to protect the rim is pretty formidable. Harris and Terry telegraph their passes and they don't create good shot opportunities for their teammates. Kidd is a huge upgrade over either of them. Only problem with Terry gone is that now you need an outside shooter, but we can probably get a Steve Kerr type for the MLE. As for Dirk and Nash together, they are both a lot better than when they played together. The Mavs also didn't have any interior defense whatsoever to speak of when Nash was here.

Even if we left the team alone, I would be fine with that. Phoenix is going to shake things up for financial reasons and it's premature to say that the Warriors are back to being perennial playoff contenders. They have a number of FA's and Nellie may not come back. The Spurs however are going to be there every year and we match up to you guys in the same way that the Warriors match up to us. I'd rather construct a roster to beat San Antonio (which is what we did) as opposed to blowing things up so we can beat a team like Golden State.

I think Terry was huge in the spurs' demise. His outside shoot killed us. I remember trying to get a lead and he would come back with a 3 or so. For me it was the blueprint of that series.

On another note, I don't think building a team to beat san antonio is smart. It would only work if you ever get to play with them but statistically that's a 1/3 chance. Look what happened now with GS.

Findog
05-22-2007, 01:42 PM
my point is dirk owns no one, nothing, nada...

not any one team(especially not the spurs), not a ring, and definitely not that spurs/mavs series! if dirk owns anything it's that bunk ass mvp award that he got out of pitty, that bs 2006 wcf banner he got out of pitty, and that hasselhoff album he got from sucking david's dick.

Okay, so mark you down for the shallow pool and never pay any attention to whatever you say again. :sleep

Findog
05-22-2007, 01:43 PM
On another note, I don't think building a team to beat san antonio is smart. It would only work if you ever get to play with them but statistically that's a 1/3 chance. Look what happened now with GS.

They're the lone heavyweight in a league full of bantomweights. If you keep advancing, sooner or later you're going to run into them.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2007, 02:37 PM
They're the lone heavyweight in a league full of bantomweights. If you keep advancing, sooner or later you're going to run into them.

I don't get your logic really, with all due respect. If you can't get to them, why would you build around beating them. You need to get players that can play all styles, not just beat the big favorite. And on that line, very few had the spurs as favorites (from the I-know-it-all press reporters). Spurs play all tempos, all styles if they want. They don't pull out any crazy recipes in the playoffs, they just keep doing what they did during the season just with more determination. Some teams change a lot of what they do during hte season to accomodate, including roster changes, etc. Not that this is Mavs situation.

Findog
05-22-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't get your logic really, with all due respect. If you can't get to them, why would you build around beating them.

Because this is only the second time in the Dirk era that the Mavs have gotten bounced in the first round. Because they've faced the Spurs three times and counting in the playoffs.

You need to get players that can play all styles, not just beat the big favorite.

And for the most part the Mavs can do that. Dallas speeds up the tempo and tries to run against San Antonio, and they try to slow it down against Phoenix. When it comes to the Warriors, Terry and Harris just get punished repeatedly against B-Diddy and Richardson. And while we're throwing Dirk under the bus, let's make room for Jet and Avery too. Jet for not knocking down shots since he can't distribute to begin with, and Avery for not playing his regular rotation and lineup. There's a balance between adjusting to your opponent because of what they present as far as matchup problems and completely mixing things up.

WalterBenitez
05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
MIke should back only to visit ols friends and show them how a NBA's ring looks like!!!

Findog
05-22-2007, 04:31 PM
and yeah, i agree, booing finley was classless, i felt so bad for him but then again, i'm not necessarily surprised because there are some asshole fans out there

Finley's one of my alltime favorite Mavs, I love him and it's time for him to get his ring. But uh yeah, he has $18 million of Mark Cuban's money with which to soothe any hurt feelings.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
It's good to see Cuban's jealously of the Spurs continues.

Dirk Nowitzki
05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Fuck that! I love the son of a bitch for the work he put in here but sadly he wont be as clutch with us as he is with the spurs. Dirk rubs off on other players in the worst way while Duncan doesnt. :depressed :depressed It pains me to say that but it is the harsh truth!

Findog
05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
I thought the booing for Finley was pretty pervasive, which suggests to me one of two possibilities: (1) I happened upon a playoff game that happened to be infiltrated by a lot of bandwagoners who don't have a clue about the NBA; or (2) Mavs' fans, by and large, don't get it. Either possibility casts Mavs fans in a pretty bad light.

It was wrong but I don't think it's that big a deal. Context is everything. When he came back the first time, he was a reserve and got a very loud and long standing ovation when he checked in for the first time. Dirk had made some comments in jest about booing Finley because it was the playoffs and it got into the newspapers. Why is this relevant?

I was reading on Golden State of Mind about how the crowds for the second round series against Utah were not as boisterous or loud as the ones against the Mavericks. And so what happened after the plucky Warriors knocked off a 67 win Titanic on the basketball court? All of the sudden lowerbowl seats at the Oracle for going for much, much more because you guessed it, a bunch of rich bandwagoners decided they'd start going to playoff games. It's very hard to get playoff tickets here in Dallas at something I can afford. Even regular season games against good draws like stars or rivals follow the same dynamic as playoff games. I was able to see Bron Bron this year but I was lucky to find something in my price range. Usually I'd have to go to a game against the Hawks or Grizzlies. And it seems like the seats that are made available at face value by the club go too quick. So as that relates to the AAC, I'm not surprised our playoff crowds suck, or that the fans are clueless and fickle.

I consider the situations, as a Spurs fan, that I've faced with old Spurs coming back to San Antonio. Almost universally, players who were on our great teams are greeted with loud applause when they return to San Antonio.

Nash has been welcomed back warmly, Van Exel and others have as well, and even Finley got his nice reception, and it was from a regular season crowd, probably comprised of more diehards, since this was a November regular season contest. In May it's more of a cocaine and boob job group north of 635.

My sole experience in Dallas was made miserable by boorish behavior

Ditto my experience at the Alamodome. Have no idea about the Call Center.

But even in lean years, Spurs fans have been there supporting their team. What looms in the near future -- what are almost certain to be some very lean years -- will be a test. But even if our franchise goes into a Warrior-like swoon, fans will still come to see the Spurs.

I would be inclined to agree. No other pro franchises, and think Jerry Jones has enough pull to keep central Texas for himself. The only thing that really has to compete with the Spurs in any meaningful way for entertainment dollars and attention is Longhorn football.

Strike
05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Whenever I hear or read "San Antone" I just want to slap someone.

It's nice to know that it sounds like nails on a chalkboard to other people, too.

Strike
05-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Finley's one of my alltime favorite Mavs, I love him and it's time for him to get his ring. But uh yeah, he has $18 million of Mark Cuban's money with which to soothe any hurt feelings.

Even though I've never liked Dallas I've always liked Finley.

And I like the fact that Dallas is paying him to play in San Antonio even more!

Findog
05-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Even though I've never liked Dallas I've always liked Finley.

And I like the fact that Dallas is paying him to play in San Antonio even more!

thats whats so funny about it

Cotton Fitzsimmons
05-22-2007, 05:33 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/ChinDem/cubanowned0bv.jpg

spursfan09
05-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Why would he bring this up in the middle of our playoffs? At least wait til after the season.

SpursDynasty
05-22-2007, 05:38 PM
It makes sense to me that Cuban would want Finley back.

The Dirk-Howard-Terry version of the Mavericks are on the decline. Where do they go next? Miami beat you in 2006, Golden State beat you in 2007, still no championship despite having 67 regular season wins and the so-called MVP Dirk Nowitzki. The media builds up expectations for certain teams every year while ignoring the real talent. But smart fans knew all along they can't win a championship. They beat the Spurs in 06. Lost eventually. They won 67 in 2007. Lost again? What's next? Let's say they win 62-67 games again next season, is it really going to matter anymore?

I still say Dallas needs to get rid of Terry and Howard. Dirk-Stackhouse-Harris would be a more effective big three. THEN you can start comparing them to the elite Spurs.

Dallas needs to be more young and athletic.

CubanMustGo
05-22-2007, 05:41 PM
It makes sense to me that Cuban would want Finley back.

Finley in two years is not going to contribute much, sorry. It's just Cueball trying to be an attention whore now that his team has long since been bounced out of the playoffs.

ponky
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Finley in two years is not going to contribute much, sorry. It's just Cueball trying to be an attention whore now that his team has long since been bounced out of the playoffs.

correct, it's so weird that he would even say this although i still feel so much love for finley as an ex-mav. i like all the ex-mavs except for maybe antoine walker and maybe fortson. i think it's probably in reference to the suns/spurs series and there may have been some talk about nash/finley, i don't really see it anywhere else in the media.

anyway saporvida, damn that's some witty shit with the old school "bunk" smack and the hasselhoff dick reference. you must own everyone on the internets.

exstatic
05-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Is this the same Finley that Cuban said was just another guy who formerly wore a Mavs uni last year?

ChumpDumper
05-22-2007, 06:33 PM
So should we count the tampering fine when we calculate how much Cuban is paying Finley to play for us?

FuzzyLumpkins
05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't think Finley could have told the Mavericks to piss off more after they let him go than by him signing with the Spurs. Its akin to Clemens leaving Boston and signing with the Yankees.

Findog
05-22-2007, 10:19 PM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/509330037_bd0e695597_o.jpg

Drunk Coach!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Can't wait to see what the tampering fine comes out to. Chalk this one up as this year's Cuban publicity whore moment.

Tek_XX
05-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Findog doesn't have too many years left. He ain't even thinking about going back to Dallas.

milkyway21
05-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Cuban gives Finley invite to return :wtf Cuban???

i have a long paragraph to write about what the Mav fans said about Finley this but.....i'll just :lmao

what will Cuban do if Finley wins his ring this yr and return? He'll host the ring:bling ceremony for him in Dallas if they play against the Spurs next season? complete with confetti and those colored ballons ?:lol while Dallas fans clapping their hands?

pwilliam
05-22-2007, 11:42 PM
:wtf Cuban???

i have a long paragraph to write about what the Mav fans said about Finley this but.....i'll just :lmao

what will Cuban do if Finley wins his ring this yr and return? He'll host the ring:bling ceremony for him in Dallas if they play against the Spurs next season? complete with confetti and those colored ballons ?:lol while Dallas fans clapping their hands?

Then I do really hope that Finley will return to the Mavs. :lol

exstatic
05-22-2007, 11:50 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/509330037_bd0e695597_o.jpg
I kicked your non-paying ass, Cuban!

x_roux_x
05-23-2007, 01:59 AM
Either way...As much as i love Fin...I just dont want him back next year...I am glad he has stepped it up in the playoffs and I hope for him to finally get his ring...But other than that I want to part ways with him...let him go back to dallas...The spurs need less 35 year olds now a days....

WalterBenitez
05-23-2007, 06:48 AM
ONly let him go with a ring ... and send other boy ... we are gonna use him for next Championship

greyforest
05-23-2007, 07:53 AM

haha i made this last year